New Haarlem 2003

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
Bottle Design Susan Wacker
New Haarlem is a popular perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is gourmand-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Maurice Roucel

Lavender, Bergamot, Green leaves, Coffee, Cedarwood, Amber, Vanilla, Tonka bean, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.10.2020.

MasterLi
Darkly sweet, slightly syrupy, herbal lavender gourmand...
I do like this one. A sweet yet very herbal and dark lavender based, syrupy gourmand fragrance. It's very nice. I get the coffee and lavender, but that isn't a combination I haven't seen before. In fact, New Haarlem reminds me a lot of Eau Noire from the Collection Privé by Dior. The lavender and coffee, and the note of immortelle, were central to that fragrance.

Here it's taken in a slightly more gourmand direction. I do get the maple syrup reference. I find the whole fragrance on the edge of gourmand (as in it could be considered a gourmand whilst also trying to be a fougère).

The lasting power on this is phenomenal. Very good value for money I would say going by the performance. Again, the price is not cheap but I can see the quality here (also Maurice Roucel is a master perfumer of a calibre second to none). He's done a fantastic job with this one. I could see this working great in the cooler weather for sure. Good stuff!

AgnesEva
For lovers of strong coffee
In my opinion, this is one of the best coffee scents. Strong, very good durability, fragrance cloud for hours and a compliment magnet. At least in my town, which loves and produces coffee. I'm not a fan of lavender in fragrances but here it's so well made that it just underlines the warm spice of the coffee and that's what I love. Not too vanilla, not too sweet, tonka, amber and cedar in a very good quality. Patchouli in very moderate execution. A masterpiece for me
Burnt coffee
The first thing you can notice is a fine Mediterranean, very light herbaceous note, very soft and smooth thanks to lavender.

At the same time, the lavender is accompanied by a subtle citric herbaceous nuance, which in my opinion is responsible for the lavender's soft and smooth appearance and its bergamot origin.

From the very beginning the actual theme of the perfume can be guessed and has already caused me some difficulties to filter out the lavender and the bergamot
Coffee.

The coffee appears very soft, sweet and creamy, but also dark and deeply bitter.

But the closer I smell with my nose to the sprayed area, I notice that I don't like something - the coffee is clearly burnt - in my opinion something like that belongs to me strictly punished! :-)

Coffee should never be infused with boiling or bubbling water, but only with boiling water and above all slowly, so that the furans, i.e. the flavour carriers of the coffee, can unfold and are not destroyed by too hot water.

In the last 3 hours the coffee has retreated quite a bit, but not completely and melts with a fine sweetish and spicy note, which brings a nice cuddly aura and comes from the amber.

At the same time, a delicate, lovely, creamy nuance makes sure that the coffee doesn't seem so burnt any more and I now see a nice crema - coffee standing in front of me.

In the background a very soft wooden nuance and a fine almond breeze provide a crowning finish and the cedar wood in combination with the tonka bean is to be owed.

I couldn't see the green leaves and the patchouli, but I can imagine very well that these two components were used for support.
In total the fragrance lasts 9 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is conceived from the outset in such a way that one is perceived very clearly at a whole arm's length and this is maintained also 3.5 hours in such a way, before it reduces itself up to the conclusion of the smell in quiet steps.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Leonessa" for the sample.

Sleepy Winter Morning
Scentrack: Gazebo - I Like Chopin

At first I was not a fan of New Haarlem, considered it to be unbalanced and impossible to wear. But then a complete overturn has happened in the form of fresh autumn air. Everything hidden under several layers was finally revealed. As usually in life, thin is the line between love and hate. Obviously only the intensity of emotions are important and like in chemistry the charges are quickly exchanged.
New Haarlem is a scent of beautiful lavender and coffee on the warm base. Bergamot only introduces the main players and leaves. Classic Roucel's fougere lavender and espresso coffee are perfectly complementary and forms new olfactive entity. The base of patchouli, tonka and vanilla is to die for. It is hard to resist such heavenly gourmand combo.
To me New Haarlem is olfactive description of a sleepy winter morning. The coffee wakes me up, but warm sweetness puts me to sleep again. A perpetual morning battle.

Rating: 7/10

#Rehashed exclusivity
When Jean-Francois Laporte founded L'artisan Parfumeur, in the late 70s (and Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, in the 80s) I'm very sure his vision for what we now call 'Niche' was nowhere close to what it has become now. Quite antithetical actually, according to me. Laporte's idea was to break free of the constraints of mainstream nonsense of following silly fashion trends and keeping it safe (and boring). He wanted to give his perfumers a free hand at developing new radical ideas without any restrictions or concerns of the mass market. The perfumer called the shots, so to speak, not the audience or some designer. Their audience was intended to be small, not to indicate any kind of elitist-snobbish-exclusivity - but it was mainly for serious frag-heads of sorts. The kind of people who obsessively dug deep into perfumes, like art, and were curious to see if there were more creative possibilities in this field. And since the end product usually included high quality raw materials and creative concepts they were priced a little higher than mainstream designer perfumes, but not as obnoxiously high as exclusive houses, like say Creed. Fast-forward to the 90s and the Niche folk are now exclusive and (rather shamelessly) following trends of the mainstream. Bond No. 9 was practically leading that pack. Releasing dozens of fashionable rehashed ideas right down to Cool Water-clones and what-not, with the stupidly exorbitant exclusive range price-tags to boot.

I think it sort of (almost directly) speaks of our society. We prefer exclusivity over creativity? We want to be able to brag more than experience something new or different. Which certainly explains the success of brands like Creed, Tom Ford, Roja Dove, Clive Christian etc. These brands have almost exclusively been rehashing classics with minor tweaks, sometimes with much richer raw materials (Roja Dove). But there is nothing 'niche' or 'creative' about their works. They're just selling exclusivity. Elitist-snobbery value.

Take the case at hand. New Haarlem. Bond No. 9. - Maurice Roucel had already executed this concept, quite stunningly, for Rochas in 1999. And Rochas Man, to me, is superlative in all aspects when compared to this. A perfumer re-visiting an old concept is not new but to do so for a 'niche' house and not make any significantly creative changes to it is kinda meh. I should mention I'm a fan of Maurice Roucel and a huge admirer of so many great works he has created over the years - so this is not to put down Roucel in any way. But it does feel like a letdown. This feels like they took Rochas Man, sent him to the gym and introduced him to steroids. Very thick. loud, and characterless. Very D'uh! Now if that happened to be a Rochas flanker or by some house in the Middle East that "customizes clones for discerning customers" it'd not have been an issue as such. In fact Rochas did offer an Intense flanker of Rochas Man and that too was really good. But to pay this kind of money for a shallow variation on an old theme is just plain wrong. As a community of individuals who spend so much of their money on fragrances I think we need to be questioning ourselves & the industry very seriously. Especially if we even share a part of the passion & vision that Jean-Francois Laporte had for perfumery.

5/10

P.s: Apologies since this seems more like a rant than a review.

Pancakes!
This is such a sexy mature syrupy scent...With no syrup or maple sap note in it. But I still smell it. Syrup you put on pancakes type of ascent.
Tasty, in fact, it made me go & order pancakes at my local diner before work. God this thing smells delicious.
Must buy, if you love gourmand fragrances.

I was on the Lirr, heading to work after finishing my meal at the diner. And someone said out loud what the fuck smells so sweet? At first, I thought it was"shit did I spray too much on", and then it was followed by... now I want pancakes or a cinnamon roll. I started laughing at that comment.
She & her friends sat across from me and said "it's a lot stronger now"...they're looking around and finally asked do I smell anything. I said you're smelling me... we spoke about the fragrance and random stuff afterward till we hit Penn Station.

Not bad bond no.9, not bad at all.
With all honesty, this fragrance makes an excellent wingman...This frag will be in my favorites(top ten) from now on.

BTW: If you don't wanna shell out the cash for this, you can just get Rochas Man By Rochas... It's 80% the same, but Rochas Man doesn't last as long, so carry a travel atomizer.
I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again?...YES!(If I can get it at 90 again or lower).

Does this fragrance enter BEAST MODE, good, just okay or weak sauce at best? Beast mode in Sillage & projection!

What's the strength of this? EDP.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? No.

Should You Skipped It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? Blind Buy worthy, if you love gourmands and like syrup like scents, this is a must for you! For everyone else, sample first.

Can you use it as a unisex scent? Yes.

Is it the old, new formulation? Current.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? In production.

SKU Number: 888874000896
Batch Number: 2855 (Production Date: Unknown)

Age: 25+
From: Let It Go (Someone didn't want it and bought it from them)
Size: 100 ML
Scent: 5/5 (Amazing).
Value: 3.5/5 (Cost $90.00).
Sillage: 5/5 (Six feet easy).
Longevity: 5/5 (Ten hours).
Creativity: 5/5 (Tonka bean, amber, coffee & vanilla smell like maple syrup).
Projection: 5/5 (Three hours plus maybe four hours, then a skin scent afterward).
Versatility: 5/5 (Fall, Winter & early springtime, any time of the day).
Compliments: 5/5 (I was told I smelled like hotcakes).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.

Briarthorn
I take my coffeee with cream
I don't get syrupy waffles at all.

This is the only scent I get complimented on every single time I wear it.

It opens with a strong creamy coffee. The creaminess in the coffee I believe comes from the Vanilla and amber. Tonka Bean and Lavender give it a nice earthy facet and I think the tonka also add a bit to the creaminess. The coffee and cream is strongest in the opening.

The heart has a vetiver feel to it. It's not vetiver, but it's vetiver -like. I think it's just the perfect blending of the bergamot and patchouli that give it the citrusy and earthy vetiver feel. The coffee and cream are still there but tempered by the lavender and vetiver-feeling notes. The heart is heavy with bergamot and patchouli.

The drydown is very woody with the mix of patchouli and cedar. There is also more Lavender in the drydown, as well. There is a real creaminess in the drydown too, from the Vanilla and amber.

This scent has really big projection so use a light hand. I have caught snatches of this scent up to 24 hours after applying it, though it's mostly gone after about 16 hours.

May
2014

Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
Why on earth did I wait so long to try this one? I had bought a tester of this fragrance a year and a half ago but never had occasion to wear it - until now! Being late Autumn and given the fact that the weather has been like winter here, I wanted something that I knew would stand out in the cold temperatures. This did not disappoint! Like all Bond's, it's staying power is fantastic, yet I don't find it overpowering. It's just right and I only needed one spray. Mmmm.........totally reminds me of a big stack of warm pancakes dripping with sweet maple syrup along with a cup of black coffee. I love it!!!! It seems odd that I'd want to smell like breakfast but I just can't help myself! The scent is addictive and actually gives me a craving for real pancakes with syrup! I would love to have a full bottle of this but most likely will not shell out the high cost for one so I will enjoy every last drop of my sample until it's completely gone. Now that I've discovered how much I like this, my little sample won't be lasting very long! It does have a unisex vibe but I feel like this one's a little more on the masculine side, even with it's "perfume-y" undertone. Easily my favourite Bond so far.

New Haarlem Bond No.9 2003
This fragrance is one of my tops of my all time favorites. So with any other that i love i will probably be very partial to this fragrance but still try to list the pro's and con's.Here we go.
Pro's:This is a beast of a fragrance. Even though it is a gourmand it leans more on the masculine side but i adore the fragrance so much i wear it. I love lavender and i love maple syrup what is not to love about smelling like breakfast! Ok ok maybe you don't want to smell like breakfast at some occasions but you know what this smells so good i don't really care! But when you first spray this off the bat you smell the fresh coffee and i mean like coffee beans coffee but it is not a strong smell of coffee its just right and then the lavender is the second biggest note you smell before the maple syrup. Because it has this strong note of lavender it really comes off as something you smell on a man easily but for those looking for a breakfast scent how can you not want to try this unisex fragrance. The sillage is wonderful and the longevity is amazing. It is very comforting and the bottle is gorgeous. This is part of Bond's original series so the bottles come in the plain glass but i think in my opinion it should of remained there because they really come off more classy in the original bottles..kinda the way you feel when you see a Chanel.The box is also very lovely and well made with the history detail inside in that sense you do get what you paid for.
Con's: I think the Bond line is way to over priced for their fragrances but that is just me...although this fragrance is worth every penny because it at least does give you everything you are looking for..with that though since it is a beast of a fragrance it may put you off for the first week you smell it and then you will adapt but this fragrance will be so new to your senses you will have to adapt to it and this happens at times and once that boat is over you totally love it so give it some time but if you don't get over it that is still $200 bucks lost out of some peoples pockets if they can't return it for any reason. Ya so you better test this out before you buy it to know its worth the purchase.
Overall, I think New Haarlem is worth the purchase personally because i love it..i do wish the prices were lower but hey that is the way it is but you can go to other online sources and get it cheaper like i did so not all is lost but its still gonna cost you a pretty penny..but if your a gourmand lover this baby is a keeper for life!

SuperSniffer
Breakfast for Dinner Anyone?
Love this stuff. Makes me feel like I'm sitting down at a semi fancy restaurant and they serve breakfast for dinner.

At the center of the table there is an arrangement of lavender.

Then the waitress asks me what I would like to drink. I ask for coffee naturally. Normally I drink mine black, but today I feel the sudden urge to add a little vanilla creamer. Not enough to ruin my drink just enough to notice its there.

Then my waitress asks me what I'll be eating. I order a HUGE plate of French toast. As I am brought my plate of French toast I ask for some all natural maple syrup and proceed to make a swimming pool out of my plate.

That's my vision when I wear this. In reality if you want to pick this scent apart which is very well blended you can smell all the notes above except for the bergamot and green leaves. This a FANTASTIC night out scent. My wife loves it, heck even my uncle who is a mans man rub some dirt on it kinda guy loves it. I personally wear it everyday minus the super hot days. I will however wear it on summer nights.

I get a good 10 to 12 hours out of this and I am a guy with super dry skin. Projection is actually above average for me, but I am a human furnace so I naturally push out a lot of weaker fragrances. Sillage is fair to average. It's fine this is for those up close moments anyway ;)

ItchynoseItchynose 15 months ago
The coffee note is beautiful but the other elements –lavender, patchouli, tonka bean– turn it into a frothy coffee scented shaving foam.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Restrained sweet coffee with subtle tangy green and woody notes, which oppose the sweetness. Wonderfully harmonious and just delicious!

by Pralinchen
by FRobXL
by Trax
by Trax

Popular Bond No. 9

Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 Shelter Island by Bond No. 9 Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 New York Nights by Bond No. 9 Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York / Andy Warhol Success Is A Job In New York by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 New York Amber (Extrait de Parfum) by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 Dubai Ruby by Bond No. 9 HTTP://WWW.BONDNO9.COM by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Dubai Gold by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9 Eau de Noho by Bond No. 9 Astor Place by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9