New York Oud (2011)

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

New York Oud is a perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Red plum, Saffron, Orange zest, Oud, Red rose, Iris, Patchouli, Musk, Honey, Vetiver

Submitted by Marketreach, last update on 16.07.2019

4.0/10

Quoi?
I think one has to be a Bond no 9 fan to be part of the hullaballoo surrounding their fragrances. I'm not really in the know because these fragrances are not readily available where I live. I was lucky enough to receive samples of a few from a friend and this happened to be one of them.
It's a lovely fragrance, well blended and pleasingly presented (from what I can gather looking at pictures online).
Is it worth it's exhorbitant pricetag? Not IMHO ... because it's just 'nice' to my nose. $260 for 100mls versus the 50mls of (high quality) attar I have from the UAE at a quarter of the price (it smells EXACTLY the same!) is hardly a good point to point comparison. Plus it's been on for about two hours now and I'm snuffling around for it like a hog after truffles, while my attar is still projecting beautifully after an entire day ... is it just me or is anyone else tired of being ripped off by 'niche' houses?
Fragrance snobbery is a thing of the past and my Amouage's happily share shelf space with my Tea Rose ... the point being that I find it unneccessary to fork out huge sums of money on stuff that is just OK ... like this one ... and please, if you ARE a Bond fan then by all means go for it!! I'm sure you'll absolutely love it :o) ... I'll stick to my attar!
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Saffron Rose
Perfumers could save themselves a lot of grief and many dismissive and gratuitously nasty reviews (a trend which may have been popularized by "The Holey [sic] Book"), if they would simply stop naming their creations literally. Another case in point from Bond no 9, NEW YORK OUD, as so many reviewers have complained, does not smell like oud. Because nearly everyone focuses upon the literal name of a literally named perfume when it come times to pen a review, all sight is lost of the quality of the perfume, as the quest to prove false advertising exerts a strangely powerful effect on sniffers, who proceed to spend most or even all of their words denying that the perfume is what it says that it is. In the meantime, some among them forget all about the much more important question: does it smell any good? I think that reviewers would do well to heed the wise words of Socrates, who maintained that poets are the last people to ask about the meaning of their poems, and perhaps olfactory artists, for their part, should not presume to be able to tell us what we can expect to experience when we spritz on their perfumes. Do yourselves a huge favor, O Noble Perfumers: name your wares metaphorically and leave it up to us to decide which notes are salient!

Fortunately, for the vast majority of their expansive collection, the folks at Bond no 9 have not made this mistake, because the names of their perfumes are, generally speaking, non sequiturs. Do they have anything whatsoever to do with the compositions themselves? No. They are nearly all the names of streets or neighborhoods in the greater metropolitan New York area, which, you can take on my testimony, do not smell anything at all like the contents of any of the Bond no 9 bottles. Thankfully, this house is not avant garde enough to bottle the sickening odor of serial killer crime scenes and the like, so their offerings actually tend to smell like perfumes and colognes, not some "revolutionary" but totally unwearable nonsense which seems to me about as masterful as a plate of plastic food.

It is true that, in the naming of their perfumes after neighborhoods and streets, Bond no 9 has gone astray in a few cases with their "map of Manhattan method", throwing darts which landed a bit far afield, on the state of Texas, or the city of New Orleans, or (?) department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue or Harrods. But, for the most part, the names of their perfumes are just plain old places in or near New York City, ironically enough, one of the stinkiest cities I've had the displeasure of visiting. I actually cringe at the thought of living there, with the omnipresent bags of garbage piled up in the street, the complete lack of wind (obstructed by the buildings) and, in summertime, the sweltering heat causing all of those ugly, noxious odors to vaporize. In a word: No. If success be a job in New York City, by all means, let me fail. But I digress...

The interesting thing about NEW YORK OUD is that once you get beyond the fact that it's not really an oud perfume--certainly not in the classic sense--then you become open to the discovery that, in fact, this is a fine saffron-rose oriental composition. I don't think that it's the best one around, but it's certainly not a worthless piece of junk, as some "Where's my oud?" reviewers have suggested. Based on my preliminary testing, I'll definitely be giving this creation another try. It is quite potent, so there is plenty left in my sample vial for another time. My less-than stellar rating reflects my dissatisfaction with the opening of this perfume, which reminded me somewhat of the toner cartridge opening of ENCRE NOIRE, but here it was more volatile and nearly overwhelming. However, all of that appears to have been a mere distraction, and after a few minutes I ended up being pleasantly surprised with the saffron-rose drydown.
10.0 10.0/10

New York when it Shines!
New York Oud is very sexy.
Its not often, I would describe a Bond No.9 fragrance as sexy- usually they're just "interesting" or "refreshing"...sometimes "beautiful" but New York Oud has just landed and created its own "Sexy Category" and so it should. I absolutley love Oud in fragrances but I always tend to worry about whether or not the Oud will be prominent and whether the fragrance will do it any justice.

New York Oud is composed beautifully. The Oud and Plum create something that is just magical. It offers a bold kind of sensuality without resorting to being vulgar and annoying. It retains a classiness and a sweetness which makes me like the scent even more. I will mention that this scent is incredibly heavy. Its very much in the territory of Fracas, Opium and Angel. Like those 3 fragrances, it is just extremely powerful and packs alot of punch and energy. So i would not recommend this fragrance for the faint of heart or for people who prefer light fragrances.

The Honey adds more sweetness to this fragrance and increases the sexiness of the scent, it sort of heightness the feeling of the fragrance. I picture a cold, dark night in New York- I picture a party atmosphere with people moving their bodies to loud heart thumping music. New York Oud would be the perfect scent for a night out on the town- especially when you want to get lucky or when you want to make an impact on a room, because I promise you, everyone from the people next to you to the people on the other side of the club will smell you.

Hermesh 3 years ago
By honey and plum acts oud-rose-saffron-combo soft, wearable and modern. Sweetness and fruitiness are noticeable yet pleasantly discreet.+1
9.0
Farouha 4 years ago
Very nice oriental scent. A great compliment getter!

by Sherapop
by Mustafa
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Bond No. 9

Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Shelter Island by Bond No. 9 Coney Island by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9 Wall Street by Bond No. 9 New York Amber by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 So New York by Bond No. 9 High Line by Bond No. 9 The Scent of Peace for Him by Bond No. 9 Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9