Shelter Island (2014)

Shelter Island by Bond No. 9

Shelter Island is a popular perfume by Bond No. 9 for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBlack pepper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAlgae, White lily
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Myrrh, Oud, Sandalwood

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 23.06.2020.

Gatsby
Salty lemon captive in seaweed. Simply awesome.
I am not at all a fan of this maison. I consider 80% of their production dramaticaly overpriced and the quality, ingredients and blends in many cases gives you the feeling that you have been tricked buying one of them. Shelter Island is something else in my case. or my nose. I don t feel it too strong, wished some more power but it s okay. The smell is divine. First of all. It is NOT a fresh, aquatic scent! Very summery, the smell of a virgine beach. Sand, sun, sea water, weed, a wreck in your way and some lemon zest above. Reminds me of Kenzo Homme vintage - a spectacular summer scent. I love Shelter Island and I have it in a big size (sure I am gonna buy some reserves). I also love the bottle. The longevity is good, sillace could be more powerful but considering is a summer scent, suitable for high temperatures and sun, it s very good. I don t feel too much oud (thanks God coz I don t like it) but I feel some woody notes combined with salt.
Gives you a fresh mood, like a breeze. Unique, a compliment getter. Love it!
Every year anew
I love him. I love him. He's summer in a bottle to me. Besides all the Ambroxan/ Iso bombs that come under our noses every day, this one is a real exotic and my tip for everyone who asks me for a perfect summer scent.

This Aquat has with his Oud a special oriental twist, which speaks for me fully for him. The sweet lily is full-bodied and is accompanied by soft musk and rounded off with oud and sandalwood. It remains very linear which is not bad at all, because it is simply a dream.
At 30 degrees, if you don't really want to wear a scent, this is just the thing. Its durability and projection is not too strong and just right for such hot days. He has such a looseness and lightness that one forgets to wear anything at all. Rather one feels here this aura which pulls like a breeze constantly over the skin and into the nose.

After the swim you come out of the sea, run over the warm sandy beach and lie down on your couch. A breeze blows over your still wet skin. You rub yourself with sun cream, take a sip of your cocktail, close your eyes, relax and enjoy this beautiful summer day. - That is for me this picture what this smell gives me while wearing.
Shutter Iceland
Shelter Island!
Every time I think about this fragrance and when I pronounce it, I do it wrong, maybe this comment will change that if I just write Shelter Island often enough.
I'll find that out in the end.
Shelter Island!

Maybe it's because I'm an absolute film freak, at least the scent is often called Shutter Island, instead of Shelter Island. A psychothriller appeared in 2010 with Leo di Caprio and Mark Ruffalo in the leading roles with Twist at the end, a so-called mindfuck. But predictable in my eyes.

But I find the idea of comparing perfumes with films exciting.

Spontaneously occurs to me...

Parfums de Marly-Akaster = In the Name of the Rose
Versace Eros = Schoolgirl Report
Azzaro-Wanted by Night = Battlefield Earth
Calvin Klein-Escape = Escape from Alcatraz
Bvlgari-Aqua Amara = Free Willy

Ah, that's another hit and some of them don't think it's funny. The author did. This is fun, try it out.

Shelter Island!

But there are actually similarities to the scent and film.
On the one hand, they are both islands, although the one in the film is fictitious. On the other hand, the scent is predictable at first, similar to in the film, you think you can recognize the automatisms. As is well known, islands are on the water, therefore an aquatic scent, of course, I thought to myself! Stinging in the first minutes and nothing spectacular new that reveals itself to my nose. I thought so!

I don't perceive direct lemon, so nothing citric, but fresh, before it gets a little floral.
I don't recognize algae as such, but then, like in the movie, a twist comes at the end or in the perfume rather in the middle part, which I would not have expected.
With the increase in oud and I think myrrh, at least something spicier, this scent here turns the screw without losing its freshness into the oriental. It becomes a little balsamic/aquatic. Sounds funny, but is so.

I really didn't see that coming and I like it a lot. So, two worlds meet and mix. Here the film could also be called Matrix. The whole thing stays that way and doesn't change anymore.

The whole thing is pure synthetic, but well done, lasts a good 6h and is terribly overpriced. His Sillage isn't the very best either. Nevertheless, he is different than others and I am positively surprised, because I am not sooo for Aquate, they must have something special with me already and this definitely has.

I'd get it for less money. If you like, you can give it to me. I'd be happy to. Very hard, actually. Pedition Shelter Island for Schoork. Quasi Schoork Island. Well?

This is the moment when those who don't like me would also like to land on an island.

But look, I also have a few...

Burberry-London = Sherlock Holmes
Paco Rabane-1 million = A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Oscar de la Renta-Gentleman = Casino
Esentric Molecule Molecule 01 = Matrix
Bvlgari-Man Wood Essence = The Blair Witch Project
Gucci Absolute pour Homme = Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man
Guerlain activist = Shrek

Makes real mood this Shelter Island.

That's enough.
I make you a wish...

S.
Beautiful fresh Aquat with wood, floral freshness and Oud
Bond No.9 is a brand I think is really great. The prices are really extremely steep and overpriced, but the fragrances are mostly very solid and good. This I wanted to test umbedingt, because I as a large Aquat fan also gladly times more expensive Aquaten test. Bought a little bottling. Price for 100ml is about 200Euro.

First, a word of praise for the Bond bottles. For me, one of the best flacons there is. The typical shape, which all have is simply original and a great trademark. In addition there is a stylish design, which doesn't look cheap. Very good patterns and colour combinations included. Here rather unspectacular, but suitable for a rather aquatic fragrance.
The fragrance smells from the first second on very high-quality and pleasantly fresh. The aquatics reminds me totally of Kenzo Homme, but it's not a twin of scents because it has more nuances. To divide this fragrance into head-heart and base is not quite right here. Only the soft base gets through well in the end, otherwise little development. It's not dramatic if the fragrance is convincing, and it is.
I don't notice much of algae, if they're more in the background. As I said, the aquatics are heading towards Kenzo Homme. These two are clearly similar in scent type and have a similar vibe. If you smell exactly and concentrate you will recognize many other scents. Above all, a pleasant floral freshness and an extraordinary oud note. Extraordinary, since Oud in combination with fresh aquatic notes is already very extravagant. I'm not an oud fan, but here it harmonizes totally and doesn't look fat. In addition, there is a citric freshness and the fresh flowery Oud-Aquat is ready. In the base, it is softer with musk, amber and above all a soft woody note. Class!
All in all a great harmonious creation for sporting and summer activities. All in all versatile, as it will certainly win many sympathies. I already tested it in sports. You can wear it well, but for me it's most likely a leisure fragrance.
Performance is OK for a fresh fragrance. There are cheaper ones that are clearly better in this category, but it is satisfactory. Sillage is quite pleasant and well dosed. The shelf life should be around 6 hours. I sign unisex 100%.

A good release for me as a whole. A purchase recommendation I give only conditionally, since it is quite expensive. But you can think about it, because he has style and is really original. Especially Kenzo Homme fans should test this one.

Swell.
I've actually wanted to test Bond No. 9 fragrances for a while now, because the bottles appeal to me somehow.
Star-shaped, squiggly, kind of interesting.

Well, "Shelter Island" kind of appealed to me. Fishy? I can't find anything smelly. Seaweed? What do the pieces smell like? To me, this smell is just the smell of a casual, easy day at the beach, doesn't have to be a sandy beach, no. It smells more like a ride on a ferry, maybe even on the Staten Island Ferry.
I still remember my New York vacation very well and this scent really catapults me back there, but I also remember a trip to Cuxhaven and London. The main thing is water nearby, not necessarily a beach, rather salty water, stiff breezes, strong wind blowing in my face while I enjoy the sun.
I've never been to the North Sea, maybe I could find myself there with this scent, but it definitely gives a very nice feeling without reminding me of fish in any way, I don't like them. I don't even want to eat them. D

A very fresh, aquatic scent emanates from "Shelter Island", which can be felt as pungent for the first 5 minutes, but then spreads around me as if it belongs to me and will definitely move in with me for the warmer days.
I can't really make out the individual scents, and as I said... What do algae actually smell like?! Like fish? Like sea? Well... I can only really perceive the lemon if I concentrate In itself I find the scent very well done, gives a round overall picture of all the scents (algae?!) and when I close my eyes I think of putting on a windbreaker and heading for the sea. Maybe a tidal flat hike as well? Who knows
Suitable for daytime, leisure activities and spring and summer. Maybe also for the early evening hours. Casual, Hawaiian shirt, shorts, sunglasses. No suit. Just vacation. ;)

The Sillage and durability I find not so bad at all.
After about one hour the scent is perceived super pleasant by the outside world and I distribute my summer love to every other person within a radius of one meter, whether they like it or not. ;)
It lasts about 7 hours on me and I don't need it any longer, because it is supposed to be a fragrance for the day. (Well, for me at least) and even then, I can still perceive it very closely when I press my nose against myself
Test recommendation! Blind buy? Probably not.
DonJuanDeCat
Sailors scatter algae and salt
Bond No. 9 fragrances. I must admit I'm not very familiar with these scents. Although I find the bottles nice and colourful and they have always attracted me, I have only tested and commented on one single fragrance of this series so far, although my comment was probably a bit more matter-of-fact at that time... today I have somehow become more of a screamer here, who constantly yells "aaaaaargh" that he is afraid in the ladies' department, or that you will be eaten by the monstrous tomcat, or that people who drink tea with milk are stupid or something... :D :D

Anyway, I should really look into the Bond fragrances, as I said, they look great and I'm sure there are some great fragrances underneath. So now I come to this scent here, Shelter Island. Why this particular scent here? Well, I have to admit, I got my hands on a sample of it, so...!

Let's see how it smells, at first glance the bottle reminds me of some of the Le Mâle fragrances from Gaultier with its blue and white stripes...

The smell:
At the beginning I find a fishy, algae scent, rather maritime with slightly salty notes. From an olfactory point of view, it's not that great, or rather exciting, but emotionally it reminds me of the sea, with its salty, humid air near the coast, so I don't think it's that bad.
For a brief moment a tangy lemon appears and gives the fragrance a fresh kick.
A little pepper gives the fragrance a little spice, but you can still smell the maritime salty scents with the (now somewhat weaker) algal notes for a longer time.
Towards the base the fragrance slowly becomes milder. The pepper has almost disappeared and the maritime notes are becoming softer, as the fragrance now becomes a little sweeter with a delicate amber note, accompanied by resinous but also rather light oud. And I have the feeling that I can smell earthy notes, similar to patchouli. The later base smells a little softer, you can still recognize the maritime scents a bit and the sweetness comes from the musk.

The Sillage and the durability:
The radiance of the fragrance is average. In the beginning it smells very good for a short time, but soon it weakens a bit and then it is still good smelling for a while at a normal distance.
The shelf life is quite good for a summery fragrance with almost eight hours (actually a little more).

The bottle! The star-shaped flacon, which could also be an upper body with arms raised, looks great in shape and closes with a dark blue oval cap. With its blue and white sailor stripes, it looks a little simpler than other bottles of this brand, but I still think it's quite nice, because it simply gives a holiday-like, summery feeling.

Soo, I like the smell in here. It's not a fragrance I'd necessarily buy now (unless you give it to me as a present or something, in which case I'd use it :D), but it's nice, because it spreads a nice, sea-like and therefore holiday-like aura. Thereby he awakes a feeling in me that I want to go on holiday again. So to the sea of course. *sigh*

Since I wrote at the beginning that I am probably known here as a screamer by now (*sigh* how could it come to this...!), I might as well start screaming:

"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!! I wanna go to the Meeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr! Preferably together with a cute girl! ... Maaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Okay, I'll calm down. Maybe I shouldn't scream and yell so often, otherwise they won't take me seriously here anymore, ... ah, ... on the other hand ... I guess you don't do that anyway ..
Anyway, based on my screeching, you have surely already read from it that the fragrance is a nice holiday companion if you like fragrances that are supposed to smell quite maritime, i.e. salty and slightly algae. Later on the fragrance becomes softer and gets a delicate sweetness and thus remains beautiful in the base. So the fragrance is naturally suitable for spring and especially summer. So if you want to have a holiday feeling, try this scent here! By the way, I also like the fact that its salty aura is not as pungent as some other salty scents

ZmoneauxZmoneaux 4 years ago
Screechy synth oud opening to pleasant salty, floral, myrhh mid back to screechy dry down. Unfortunate, the middle bit was kinda nice.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Mild oud with almost intoxicating lily, delicately spiced up with salty aquatic notes. Absolutely remarkable!

by GentsScents
by GentsScents

Popular Bond No. 9

Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9 Chinatown by Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9 New Haarlem by Bond No. 9 New York Nights by Bond No. 9 Bryant Park by Bond No. 9 Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9 I Love New York for All by Bond No. 9 Success is the Essence of New York by Bond No. 9 Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9 New York Amber (Extrait de Parfum) by Bond No. 9 Fire Island by Bond No. 9 HTTP://WWW.BONDNO9.COM by Bond No. 9 New York Oud by Bond No. 9 Dubai Ruby by Bond No. 9 Eau de New York by Bond No. 9 Hamptons by Bond No. 9 Astor Place by Bond No. 9 Brooklyn by Bond No. 9 West Side by Bond No. 9