Vétiver Nocturne (2018)

Vétiver Nocturne by Bortnikoff

Vétiver Nocturne is a new and limited perfume by Bortnikoff for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is green-woody. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Frangipani, Bergamot, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesChampaca flower, Champaca leaf, Jasmine sambac, Oakmoss, Indian vetiver, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Mysore sandalwood, Vietnamese oud, Thai jasmine, White champaca, Ambergris

Submitted by Carlossp, last update on 26.10.2019.

10.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Shades of Vetiver
At Vetiver Nocturne I have admittedly allowed myself to be influenced by various things and by the purchase. On the one hand, "old Vetiver" at MGO has inspired me very much and that there are hardly any creative people who dare to use this rare and expensive ingredient. On the other hand, Dmitry, as Russian Adam's partner in Feel Oud, is the expert on exceptional floral compositions made from rare ingredients. So I ordered Vetiver Nocturne blind and got the last bottle from Dmitry.

The Ruh Khus Vetiver in this fragrance is 25 years old and extracted from wild vetiver roots in northern India. Its fragrance can be described as almost earthy, mossy and very dense. I perceive nuances of fermentation that lie dark over jasmine and champaka. Dmitry achieves this effect by enriching the oudh with the floral chords absorbed in the wood. He proceeded in a similar way with the sandalwood discussion, complementing the aromas of the blossoms directly with the chords of the wood.

The result is a resin-brown fragrance in the bottle. Full of density and sound. On my skin, Vetiver Nocturne takes almost an hour to really settle in. Claw tight. To establish. And then take the room.

Vetiver Nocturne is perfectly named.

He's definitely not a green-floral lucky clover. He's the night vetiver. Dimmed. Dark. Cursed.

The combination with sandalwood gives it something shimmering in all the shade and makes the wood tones sound with deep green earthiness. The Oudh brings warm wooden facets and completes the fragrance further.

Those who expect a fresh, grassy, flowery Vetiver fragrance from Vetiver Nocturne will probably be disappointed. It is much more, very complex and indeed demanding.

He demands time and attention.

Then he rewards it with a fragrance experience that is as unique as the idea Dmitry´s and the ingredients he put together for this fragrance from all over the world.
8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Bakerscookie
A bouquet of flowers with a woody base.
A few weeks ago Dmitry Bortnikoff was kind enough to send me a sample set of his current collection. After the initial cheese shock from Oud Maximus, I tried Vetiver Nocturne relatively quickly, but had to swallow a little when listing the notes... because there are so many floral ingredients listed, from Champaca, Frangipani and Jasmin Sambac to Sandalwood and Oud infusions with Jasmin and Champaca, that I was almost sure I wouldn't like it
And what can I say? The absolute opposite is the case. The first time I spray it on, I am greeted by what is probably the most realistic version of a fresh bouquet of flowers I have ever smelt. The best part? The dusty synthetic rose à la Oud Satin Mood is missing. Yes! A direct hit! What awaits me here are juicy, bright flowers standing in the flower shop. No fun, I get goose bumps every time I think about it. In an interview with Dmitry I once heard that infusions of flowers in sandalwood or oud represent the traditional way of making oriental attars. Interesting.

With this first floral push, or almost immediately afterwards, a base of creamy sandalwood resonates directly. Deep dark, slightly musky and animal-like. That's why even after a few hours it still looks as if the flowers are still there - but I think that the mainly natural (I hope so!?) ingredients are the combination of sandalwood and vetiver. Natural floral notes supposedly evaporate quite quickly.

Speaking of... the vetiver here is very different from anything I've ever known. It is much greener, grasier, somehow more "realistic" than usual. Weird. I mainly see it in the drydown and sniffing the nebulizer (which I do, by the way, because I love this perfume so much). So no sooo vetiver-heavy perfume at all, as you might think at first. The drydown is complemented by a slightly spicy, balsamic oud note. But mainly it's sandalwood, then vetiver and then the oud.

I ordered the 9 ml filling directly before my sample was empty. I wasn't allowed to pay customs, I didn't care. As soon as it is empty, the full bottle is on it.

For me 10/10.

Popular Bortnikoff

Oud Monarch by Bortnikoff Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff Oud Maximus by Bortnikoff Mysterious Oud by Bortnikoff Amber Cologne by Bortnikoff Musk Cologne by Bortnikoff Bonheur by Bortnikoff Coup de Foudre by Bortnikoff Zemfira by Bortnikoff L'Heure Exquise by Bortnikoff Symphonie de Néroli by Bortnikoff Sir Winston by Bortnikoff Vetiver Nocturne Autumn '19 by Bortnikoff Oud Maximus Autumn '19 by Bortnikoff