Boucheron 1988 Eau de Parfum

Version from 1988
Boucheron (1988) (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron
Bottle Design Joel Desgrippes
Boucheron (1988) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Boucheron for women and was released in 1988. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by PCI (Parfums et Cosmétiques International).

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
BenzoinBenzoin
CivetCivet
FrankincenseFrankincense
MuskMusk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.10.2021.

Puderperle
Marie-Antoinette: "...let them eat cake."
1774. Versailles. Queen Marie-Antoinette had invited as a hostess to the lavish masked ball.
She, who made no secret of her wealth, loved to live out her eccentricity and creativity in unrestrained hedonism.

"Sophie, make way!" , the young queen pushed her friend aside with her hip. The hoop skirt with the lush layers of fabric over it, granted only one lady to stand in front of the mirror at a time due to its expansive width. She had forgotten to paint on the beauty mark under her lip. She needed full concentration for this, she had already accidentally burned her finger on the hot iron while twisting in her curls. The wine was not without effect.

She had been married to Louis XVI at an early age. Many a fluff still made itself clearly felt. The title of nobility, with its attendant wealth, enabled her to indulge her tastes and materialism. In childlike light-heartedness she did what she did best: Distraction! Celebrating, living, laughing, with no thought of onerous obligations. She hosted the greatest parties, about which the invited society was to speak favorably for years to come.

Lavish decorations, the most talented musicians, the guest list was adorned with famous names. Chefs spilled over with their fancy creations. After all, the fine company was spoiled, especially the young queen.
Heavy fabrics of velvet, bowls of gold, peacock feathers and wonderful bouquets of flowers as far as the eye could see. Touted hairstyles, powdered faces hidden behind glittering Venetian masks.

So, after a successful toilette, she and her entourage slowly strode down the stairs to the waiting guests in beautiful ball gowns and sparkling diamond jewelry. Everyone was to admire her. The effort should have been worth it, after all. The music held its breath for a brief moment. All that could be heard was the rustling of her sinfully expensive silk gown.

Flirting seemed to have come naturally to her and didn't fail to have its effect, despite the luxurious feather mask around her eyes. She benevolently walked past the young gentlemen in slow motion, still correcting her posture with a straight back at the last second. Secretly, they all fancied the beauty, who seemed so interesting and extravagant, partly because she didn't care about conventions. She could play pharo like a bloke and swear like a coachman. And when she felt like it, she'd take a drag on a cigar. Somehow everything she tried became chic. The gents' eyes wandered furtively to her ample cleavage, which threatened to fall out of far too small a corsage. "Help yourselves!" demanded Marie-Antoinette of them, not noticing how, for a split second, confusion spread among the men. Had they heard correctly?

Only then did the first in line register her gloved finger pointing to the patisserie bites on the bottom tier. The most beautiful, creamy chocolate desserts in the colors of the rainbow were served on a shiny plate. Her wide skirt had blocked the rest of the gentlemen's view of the sweet desserts. Relieved, the young men exhaled. Heart pounding, blushing in shame - no telling what could have happened...

Marie-Antoinette had missed this, she was already the new focal point of the next group she knew to coquettishly entertain. As much as she enjoyed extraordinary adoration from her male subjects, quite a few ladies whispered behind held fans, while not taking their eyes off their spouses or chosen ones in the process. One or the other thought to herself, 'Impudent woman,' while she secretly puzzled over the spell with which she seemed to cast a spell on the men in rows.

A roaring night was drawing to a close. Exhausted and buzzed, the young queen dropped onto the elegant velvet couch. What a feast! Dawn was already breaking and the sun's rays tickled her little nose. A servant approached her with a gentle bell and, without regard to her condition, began to address the items on the agenda in accordance with protocol. The people were hungry because they had no bread to eat, he recited to her. Fighting sleep, she muttered "well then, let them eat cake" and stuffed the last of the pistachio cream candy into her mouth, oblivious to the fact that the painted beauty mark had already migrated to her chin...

To the scent:
The solution to the mystery of the spell could have been this magic water. If Marie-Antoinette had worn a perfume that evening, it would certainly have been Boucheron. The fragrance knows how to captivate its environment without many words. This opulence of the flowers let the environment register "Here I am". The most beautiful accessory for an evening to be celebrated. It underlines the personality of the wearer. Wallflowers would perhaps blush because they would be intimidated by such attention.
One should be aware of the effect. Surely it is left to the gentlemen of creation to wear it as well. There are no rules, Marie-Antoinette would say. And I agree with her. However, I'll stick to elegant ladies for the description.

Boucheron is the French brand of a jewelry chain from the luxury segment. It stands for quality, wealth and good taste. Not everyone has such a claim to a fragrance. Some would certainly call it old or unfashionable. I do not feel this way, it depends on the viewing angle and not on the age.

The bottle is modeled after a gold ring with blue sapphire. This alone suggests an expensive content - I'm not talking about the price. This gem is mercifully affordable for the small, cake-eating "subject".
The perfume is multi-faceted and deep, changing as the scent progresses so that it always remains interesting. It is heavy, classic and noble. To me, it seems harmoniously composed, without any note appearing disturbing or dominant. In the overall picture, I associate it with the lavish party of the eccentric hostess, who scores with good taste.
Bergamot and orange blossom herald the beginning. Mandarin or apricot I can not interpret. Is it because my nose is still too little trained or that the fruits hide really well between the oversized floral calyxes? Tuberose, narcissus and ylang ylang form the harmonious heart note. The slightly soapy, powdery note is certainly due to the iris.
The fragrance is reminiscent of a pompous bouquet of flowers, whose individual flowers only come into view - pardon - smell field when turning by looking at them several times. When smelling more closely, it is noticeable that the flowers are dusted with spices. These give the fragrance its oriental note. Balsamic depth, delicately animalic, perfectly interwoven with the fine sweetness of the base note: vanilla, amber, tonka bean, musk, sandalwood and incense. The components promise a long shelf life.
The overall composition seems majestic. It takes time to fathom it. This much is certain: he ennobles its wearers, whether they are called Marie-Antoinette or eat cake ;-)
Scent without limits
Today I let my eyes wander over the sea of bottles of my fragrance dealer - and had to sort out the intensive "input" first.

At his booth, I'm Alice - that's Tina - in Wonderland.

Then my trained scent - eagle eye discovered a blue cartouche at the edge.
Such " peripheral phenomena " always arouse my interest - because that is where I have discovered many a treasure.

Boucheron? Eau de parfum? Didn't my mother wear that years ago?
I couldn't believe my eyes.

While I was still amazed, my husband grabbed the cartouche because he was watching a lady who was also casting covetous glances at it.
And his lightning reaction was right, because at home I unveiled the beautiful flacon I knew from my youth.

And the full-bodied scent itself took me back in time.

At that time the world was still open to all plans and ideas - even if they were crazy.
One dared everything - and had so many possibilities.
Your parents were by your side, and you knew they would always catch you.
And Le Parfum is so multi-faceted and yet so secure.

Various fruits and flowers take me to any place in the world - where I would like to be.
He conjures up the people I've been missing.
Not to mention my animals.
He pours a cornucopia of images over me - which enchant me - delight me - and also make me melancholy.
But Le Parfum is also in the here and now.
The fragrance can be in different times and also in different places at the same time.

A time traveller - without borders.
The Vintage Friend
I bought this exact scent today ... why??? Because especially in today's difficult "Corona time" I wanted to have something good, well-tried and well-known full of nice and interesting memories
Very briefly told as follows :
I was in my mid-twenties when the fragrance came on the market and was an absolutely free, cheeky and crazy female being who wanted to try out the world and often broke social boundaries. Am I sorry today? No I don't think so, because all this has made me a very empathetic, helpful and fighting free spirit today. I met this fragrance in a very noble perfumery at that time and I already had respect for the somewhat stiff perfume consultant lady (that's what I called her at that time), she sprayed it on and he took me directly with him. He was heavy, a bit woody, a lot of oriental and for me just great and I became a Fame fatale. And he held and held - until the next morning and even after the shower still traces stuck to me. Yes, the perfumes were then, very long adherent and everyone you have hugged carried your scent trail away with him. Afterwards my world was ok and beautiful and exciting, yes somehow always exciting and positive. There were also other times, of course, but you have somehow quickly gotten it right again.
Now I am kicked out of the dream of yesterday, welcome to reality! I wish for every human being such a small "piece of back" to recharge their batteries or to switch off for a short time and then to have the courage to face the here and now again.
This perfume took me for a short time on a journey into the past and I had to smile about some memories. You know what I mean? Sure! Everybody makes these little journeys back to face everything again in good spirits and with strength My friend from the past is welcome, you are not always too intense for that and have a very extensive fragrance but now and then you like it very much.
Je suis en famille!
Boucheron Le Parfum is the perfect fragrance for family celebrations, I think. I have already said in a statement that I find it beautiful, but also very old-fashioned; it is an untouchable relic of a long past decade, under countless fragrances, saved into the now, because it is simply so indescribably perfect. Balanced, self-contained, round. No note stands out dominantly, the numerous ingredients merge into a harmonious unit that can be used for very special occasions: to create familiarity. This perfume is a memory that is lived, tangible, marked by an incredibly conservative elegance. Expensive and also heavy is Boucheron, a women's fragrance from times when it was still pc to present furs and pearl necklaces. According to Jean-Claude Ellena, this fragrance would be a baroque perfume, one that creates space for itself, draws a fragrant circle around itself, provides the wearer with a dignified understatement. One is entre nous, in a small circle, to the baptism of a niece's child, to the golden wedding of the parents-in-law, to the brother's round birthday. At Christmas, at Easter, to a passed exam. The mild sweetness of apricots and orange blossom signals sweet gentleness, tender gestures of reunion, familiar touches, an open ear. Tuberose and the light powder shade of jasmine and iris create the proper portion of elegance, the knowledge of a common name, a common history, a status quo that makes everyone happy. The minimal exoticism of Ylang-ylang reminds us of long gone holidays, Narcissus paints the image of a sunny Easter morning, the seriousness of sandalwood guarantees the seriousness of reliable advice, vanilla, tonka and benzoin evoke images of Christmas trees and gifts, incense and amber include the moments of sacred silence, weddings, confirmations and communions, even funerals. But none of these tones, except perhaps the tuberose, appears so clearly singular that it would draw attention to itself. It is the perfect interplay of all the components that gives the impression of the familiar security of big celebrations and turns Boucheron into a fragrance in which the threads of life are woven together to form a colourful tapestry. This beautiful, multi-coloured, detailed carpet invites you to look at it and tell stories together. That's why I like Boucheron so much, but not every day, but really only for those rare occasions when a large family is united. On a day like this I would always reach for Boucheron.
Beautiful End 80s fragrance
A green-floral opening, strong and warm. A green that I like, it has herbaceous grace. The scent seems familiar, but I'm quite sure I didn't know Boucheron before. Some powder beckons and it gets more floral and after about 20-30 minutes woods start to show from the base. It's a complex scent where I can't pick out the individual notes. I am sure though that the fruity notes don't reach me at all. B is definitely a warm scent even if a slightly acidic incense note still creeps in. Up to this point, Boucheron is quite present. After about 1 1/2 hours of power, it then retreats to close to the body and develops into a rather delicate, thereby light woody, still slightly green as well as delicately floral, creamy incense scent.

Greetings and thanks to Serenissima.
DerDefcon
How about my favorite orange blossom?
The more classic a perfume container looks, the more probable it is - I'll rule out perfumes here - that it will be ignored by the younger ones, probably assuming that you only get to smell a "granny scent" here.

With this Boucheron one should not show the behaviour I just described, because then one misses something. And I want to explain what you miss.

The beginning is markedly lively and floral with orange blossom and apricot as primary scents. That floral is somehow a matter of course if the orange blossom is in bold print in the fragrance pyramid, isn't it? It is one of my favourite fragrances, which I learned to love so much during the wonderful "APOM pour homme" by Kurkdjian. Accordingly, I was curious to find out how this great flower appears in other fragrances.
So it appears fruity in this boucheron thanks to the apricot, which we have already noticed. The orange blossom, as I know it from "APOM pour homme", is represented here in a different form. It is not dusty and powdery, but very transparent and due to the fruity accompanied opening not so easy to spot as such. After the apricot note has retreated, it takes on clearer characteristics as such. With it a confusion sets in afterwards, consisting of various other bloomers, of which I would not recognize a single one purposefully. The result is a colourful flower meadow, in which the orange blossom represents the highest growing plant, which somehow towers a little above all the others, but which does not devour them, but also leaves them their space.
The whole thing becomes really interesting as soon as the base note appears, because it is only here that the floral notes supported by the orange blossom experience all the depth I expect from flowery scents.
Our flowering plants are soaked in a discreetly creamy sweetness, which we owe to both sandalwood and musk. I also notice a little vanilla, but it is negligible next to the musk. The latter is fortunately not a bit animalistic or even sweaty, which wouldn't fit here at all. But what fits here very well is the incense, which I am sometimes a little sceptical about, because some perfume creators sometimes exaggerate with this ingredient. Here, however, a beautiful, really light earthiness is provided, which gives the creamy sweetness the necessary transparency, does not make it too sticky and thus ensures the adulthood of the entire composition.
Adulthood here also manifests itself in the resilience so often demanded of adults and the appropriate, stylish performance, which is not too loud, but also not too quiet, worthy of a mature person. Anyone can be mature, stylish and prudent. You don't have to be 50 years old, 60 years old or even older to be able to wear this fragrance, which is perhaps packaged in a somewhat classic-conservative way. So the ladies, no matter what age: get on with this creation!

Oh well, before I forget, I would like to finally say that my favourite fragrance is also very good here. But you probably already figured that out.

Beginning of the end
Boucheron comes from the school of rich florientals, with a chypre backbone, all laced with animalic notes. It somehow follows Ysatis, released 4 years earlier, and as if anticipating the end of the 80’s powerhouses it tries to cram everything in a bottle. But it succeeds at not making a caricature and instead it delivers a beautiful fragrance that somehow is also a swan song to shoulder pads, big hair and bright frosted pink lipstick.

My 1988 edt starts with a big spicy orange blossom that also turns honeyed and marries perfectly with the tuberose and ylang ylang to make a white flower cornucopia. It does not shy and turns the volume all the way up to let the flowers sing. A little carnation to spice up, some narcissus to prepare for the animalics ahead, resinous amber to sweeten everything; this is a sweet nectar through and through.
But as the fragrance unfolds, the sweetness subsides to let the oriental notes show. There’s a nice hint of dark vanilla, sandalwood and resinous benzoin, and suddenly it feels more oriental than floral.
But, the oakmoss backbone keeps everything ‘dry’ and more sophisticated. The civet shines in the vintage edt and adds dimension and sensuality to what otherwise could be a screechy floral. Sometimes Boucheron is too much, you can’t just put it on and go. It demands a certain attitude, a certain glamour. It feels too sophisticated to be casual. But it can also glamorize a simpler outfit, as long as the wearer has the personality to pull it off.

I recently tested the version out there today, and my surprise was that it hasn’t been destroyed. Yes, the base, or better, lack of, is simple and turns to plain ambery musk without any of the interesting parts, but the fragrance remains bold and beautiful. Along the years it has had retouches but it somehow retains a big part of its character. Nowadays the edp is far more interesting, but if you happen upon a vintage edt, grab it; it puts many others to shame. And if you miss the old Ysatis, give Boucheron a try. Age has been kinder with it.
Serenissima
a beautiful gem of my collection
Perfumes and flacons should already form a unit.
Even if a little beautiful flacon can enclose a wonderful fragrance, the harmony between content and "suit" is the most beautiful thing we can encounter in this area.
Women are especially receptive to beautiful flacons; of course I am one of them.

While leafing through one of my books (it is well known that I have to clear a lot of things back and forth due to constant construction work at the moment and thus take books into my hands which are otherwise unfortunately almost forgotten), I found the following section which describes this quite female preference very appropriately and also fits wonderfully to my beloved "Boucheron".

"... And I could immerse myself for hours in the sight of the shapes of the beautiful perfume bottles. There was a time when the shape of the container was almost more important to me than the fragrance.
The most beautiful flacons that I capture once a year on a targeted raid (knowing full well that I shouldn't indulge in more consumerist addictions), I place them on my desk in my field of vision for a while before they become part of my perfume bottle collection.
There they are ready to support or drive away moods with their contents via nose. Depending on my mood, I select the fragrance of the day from this handsome battery.
If I can't make up my mind, I stick with "Boucheron", my signature fragrance, which combines everything my nose loves. It's that smell of make-up, powder and stage dust that wafts through a theater like it does before the big curtain rises. A smell that unites present and past in a brilliant way. ..." (see page 78, "Don't worry, be Oldie" by Margit Schönberger. Yes, that's the woman with the fire-red Pumuckl hair ;-)

With her description of "Boucheron", Mrs Schönberger speaks from my soul: I also love this fragrance very much. For a long time it was even my signature fragrance We met about 28 years ago and since then we have lived together - with short interruptions.
So "Boucheron" is one of my most loyal "partners"
"Boucheron" (named after the jeweller on the Place Vêndome in Paris) is a thoroughly feminine fragrance: luminous and sensual, refined and alluring, floral and also oriental.
The Entrée takes us to the south: there we meet, among other things, tangerine, bergamot and orange blossom and - not to be forgotten - a touch of spicy basil!
In the heart, this fragrance contains many of my favourites: the large-flowered white jasmine, the luminosity of ylang-ylang and the magic of tuberose.
These are grafted onto a classic aromatic, partly woody base: ambergris, sandalwood, my "darling" patchouli and not to forget: the warm eroticism of vanilla.

The flacon is, how could it be otherwise with this name, a piece of jewellery: ring-shaped matt glass with a cap in Burma blue (deepest sapphire blue!).
He nestles wonderfully into the palm of my hand; sometimes it is difficult for me to let go of him.

As a woman, you have to be prepared to get completely involved with "Boucheron".
You may also have to accept that the affection remains one-sided and the scent refuses to be scented.
That's not so rare; to the sorrow of some women!

But if it opens up, then it is the beginning of a never ending love story!

Eighties....love
Since a year I read this site almost daily, and since the nineties I use poison, I started to be very interested in perfumes by reading all these nice reviews, and of course I started to collect, ( who wouldn't ) by reading all these opinions.
Many reviews about the eighties perfumes intrigued me and I started to buy a few and as much as possible "vintage" . One of them is Boucheron. I love this sent, it is summer in my country, although one would think it is autumn, rain... heavy rain and wind. I reached for Boucheron and oh....it smells so good, I have been out today so I used a not to heavy hand, but now I am back home and Now I used my heavy hand, I enjoy so much the beautiful cloud of this fragrance around me...I guess I love some of those very noticeable good stylish (for me) perfume bombs of the eighties...

A Warm Beauty
Boucheron EdP is a classical beauty from the 80s that always makes me think of the most expensive lush velveteen cream with a citric vibe.

Amber, orange, jasmine and vanilla are the first notes that charm my nose and make me feel elegant, irresistible and cozy. It's a comforting scent yet makes you feel very feminine and beautiful without that it feels like the perfume is wearing you. Boucheron has this rare quality that blends with your chemistry to enhance your natural beauty, rather than overwhelm you with a force-field of scent.

It's a true modern-classic that is very well blended and will enchant most women and seduce many men. A must sniff/own for every Perfumista for those moments that you want to wear something that embraces you in a feeling of classy, soft beauty. A Crimson velvet cape of sexy and warm "Hmmm".

Silage is: "An aura of warm, elegant & inviting beauty." -- Longevity is: Amazing with on me 6+ hours in which it warms up and gets more amber-like. Simply YUM!

CatarinaCatarina 2 years ago
Rich floral with a strong oriental DNA and chypre nuances as well. It's very feminine and makes a difference everywhere I go! Not to miss!

by Zora
by Boszka79
by Boszka79
by Turandot
by Turandot
Defines the true beauty of a jewelry piece
by Heavenly85
by TenderPoison
by Freebird1968
by Freebird1968

Popular Boucheron

Jaïpur Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron Ambre d'Alexandrie by Boucheron Vanille de Zanzibar by Boucheron Iris de Syracuse by Boucheron Trouble by Boucheron Boucheron (1988) (Eau de Toilette) by Boucheron Jaïpur Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Boucheron Place Vendôme (Eau de Toilette) by Boucheron Néroli d'Ispahan by Boucheron Boucheron pour Homme (1989) (Eau de Toilette) by Boucheron Boucheron pour Homme (1989) (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron Jaïpur Bracelet by Boucheron Orange de Bahia by Boucheron Jaïpur (Eau de Toilette) by Boucheron Place Vendôme (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron Santal de Kandy by Boucheron B (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron Quatre Absolu de Nuit by Boucheron Trouble Eau Légère Nacrée by Boucheron Initial (Eau de Parfum) by Boucheron