Soir de ParisEvening in Paris (1928)Perfume

Version from 1928
Soir de Paris (1928) is a popular perfume by Bourjois for women and was released in 1928. The scent is floral-powdery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Ernest Beaux

Top Notes Top Notes
Heart Notes Heart Notes
Base Notes Base Notes

Submitted by Bergamotte, last update on 09.01.2020.

The scent was discontinued in 1969 and re-released in 1991 as a reinterpreted version by François Demachy and Jacques Polge.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Soir de Paris (1928) / Evening in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois, which differs in concentration.

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Long time ago
My mama, small, tender, dainty, blonde curls loved frills, ribbons and flounces in her clothes. She wasn't too good at cosmetics. Her very dogmatic mother did not like such a thing and the little daughter was well-behaved and stuck to it. Painting was not appropriate and as a fragrance 4711 was the most extreme of feelings. It didn't matter that the daughter was married and a mother.

Then around 1963, when I was six years old, I was with my father in the neighboring Klingenstadt Christmas shopping. Ask what to give Mama. We agreed that it should be something special that she didn't have otherwise. So off to the Kaufhof, where there were such great scents and lipsticks. With the help of a nice saleswoman, we quickly found a suitable shade in strong rosewood. With the scent, it took longer. My father didn't really like one for his wife.

Then I saw the little blue bottle with the fan as a stopper. Father smelled it and then they put the scent under my nose. Testing on the skin wasn't like that back then. We just looked at each other and that was in our eyes the scent for Mama.

Unforgotten the beginning with violets and herbs. But violets dominated. Later, sweet lime blossoms, lilac and lily of the valley were added. A little harsher then the exit. Only the floral scents and the violet were running through the whole scent.

Christmas came and Mama gasped for air as she unpacked the scent. But not with joy. Crushing look my grandma at the gift and instead Oh you cheerful was thick air in the living room. Politely my mother tested the smell and thanked father and me .

After the holidays, the scent wandered into the bedroom on her dressing table. This was modern at that time and was a chest of drawers with a three-part mirror attachment. Then there was the scent. A little later he wandered into the chest of drawers. Secretly I crept in and sniffed at the bottle. Even courageously tested a few drops and for me it was "My" fragrance. Unnoticed the small bottle became empty and my father noticed it and proudly like Oskar he bought supplies. That went so well until the scent was no longer there and my uncle unceremoniously covered me with age-appropriate scents (more in my block).

But if I smell violet scents they remind me a little of my childhood. The blue tone of the bottle is still my favourite colour by the way
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Serenissima
second of all, because it was so beautiful!
My father probably thought so one year after he gave my mum "Soir de Paris" for Christmas, when he was playing with the idea of making his mother happy with it Success did not fail: it crashed quite heartily in this marriage!
Who wants to smell like mother-in-law, especially when you consider the tense relationship between the two women in a house.
My mother was presented as petty: but grandma didn't get this scent!
She loved violets, lilacs and carnations all her life.

This story was told to me again and again and I can imagine that "Soir de Paris" in its cobalt-blue flacon was a good match for the dark blue velvet dress of my mother.
At that time they still had a "good dress" and my mother had this midnight blue dress, in which she had married, shortened accordingly.
I still remember the enchanting heart-shaped neckline that gave it a romantic touch.

The content of this flacon enchanted even then with its wonderful bouquet.
Not only violets and cyclamen meet at the beginning; they also bring bergamot and tarragon as a crowning glory.
Like these two flowers, tarragon is a pure spring herb; I'm thinking of my tarragon sauce with asparagus and new potatoes - a fine thing!
This combination was already a bit daring for the time.
It also continues with early summer bloomers: the heady scent of the lime blossom - whole streets still smell today in May and June afterwards. Especially in the side streets of the Kurfürstendamm there are still many lime trees to be found; much to the "joy" of the drivers parked there! The sweet sticky flower sap they always get very badly again from the wagon.
A large bouquet of flowers contains heavy lilac umbels, iris - noble as always -, the spicy carnations and beautiful roses: what a fragrance develops here and combines harmoniously with the aromatic prelude!
Lily of the valley and jasmine, both in their own fragrance and not without controversy in this community, provide the charm of white flowers before clover adds a certain "green" spice.
Older fragrance descriptions also contained peonies in the heart note: it must have been a luxuriation in flower scents!
The base note finally contains Styrax and Heliotrop, two heavy vanilla-heavy nuances; these in turn go very well with the clove!
A hint of vetiver ground this fragrance composition before the spicy resinous climax unfolds:
Benzoe and incense prepare the way for Ambra - opulent, smoky and erotic! -before musk perfects this enchanting fragrance in a very refined way!
A hint of sandalwood was added to the original fragrance: the combination of clove and sandalwood is said to have been an event at that time. (I can imagine that very well.)

The Bourjois documents provide information about this great fragrance, which first appeared on the American market in the late 1920s.
This company has an original history. It was founded in 1863 in Paris by Alexandre Napoleón Bourjois as a shop for stage make-up.
It quickly gained an excellent international reputation with its great pallets of various powders and make-up materials in pastel colours.
Only after 1925, when a shop was opened in New York, where the competition for stage make-up was soon quite big, they tried to "in perfume".
At that time there was no perfume industry in America and therefore no competition; so the idea was obvious to offer the Americans a typical French fragrance.
A perfume that is reminiscent of roaring celebrations and also got a poetic name: "Evening in Paris"!
The current name "Soir de Paris" was given to the fragrance later, when it was launched on the French market.

A cobalt blue bottle, a silver label with stars and half moon and a romantic name:
with the help of these attributes "Soir de Paris" could only be a success.

After the war, this fragrance became a success also for the middle class. Because that was the only way my father could order him at that time from the soap trade via employee discount, which supplied the Chemische Fabrik in Berlin-Tempelhof, where he was employed.
And this is probably the way to explain this crazy idea, the gift with which he had scored with my mother, a year later to even consider for his mother.
His personal success would very quickly have been doubled!
But, as you know, that didn't happen!

Through this little piece of family history, which came back to my mind through a small sample of scent, I also dealt with the history of the company Bourjois.
I didn't even know what I would find there and had more or less expected the usual perfume development: but this little research was really worth it.
And if you still have the chance to get a vintage bottle today, you should just take it and honour this jewel: "Soir de Paris" brings a very special luxury into your life.
And who wants to do without a little luxury?

When the 20s roared...
I cannot forget my grandmother with this very blue 1928 classic. She always had some on her vanity and I always believed genies lived in it! I add a drop to my pillow and feel she is near. When she left the world in 1968-EIP oddly vanished with her. She reminded me of Coco Chanel, who loved EIP herself ironically!

It is a very French perfume-blue, stately, and elegant. It followed in the footsteps of all of the classics and was marketed for the masses. The reformulation was acceptable and overpriced. It was not the same! Perhaps that is why it flopped?

As a fragrance, its rather linear and decidedly "blue"-lots of violet and vanilla. Gone are the fur collars, heeled shoes with nylons, sensible dresses, face powder and EIP. This is truely from a bygone era...

Blkbrd 2 years ago
Vintage EiP is a soft, thick (not heavy), mossy purple floral on an incense/musk/benzoin base. Soothing as a favorite blanket. Find some.+1

by Zora
by Schahram
by Evita
by Evita

Popular Bourjois

Soir de Paris (1991) by Bourjois Masculin 2 Black Instant by Bourjois Kobako (1936) by Bourjois Masculin 2 Gold Fever by Bourjois Evasion (1970) (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Kobako Sensuelle by Bourjois Kobako (1982) by Bourjois Evasion (1996) by Bourjois Masculin Acier (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Or Masculin (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Masculin Ouragan (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Masculin 2 (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Ramage by Bourjois Masculin Unique by Bourjois Masculin 2 Vétyver / Masculin Absolu by Bourjois Flamme (1976) (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois Glamour (Parfum) by Bourjois Courage by Bourjois Stephanie by Bourjois Soir de Paris (1928) / Evening in Paris (Eau de Toilette) by Bourjois