Brut 1964Eau de Toilette

Brut (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever)
Brut (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Brut (Unilever) for men and was released in 1964. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by Unilever.

Karl Mann

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Basil, Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 22.09.2020.

BRUT - A varied perfume and company history
BRUT, then still with the addition of Fabergé, has undergone an enormous transformation since 2007. If you consider that BRUT once was - by sales - with its perfume by-products, the most successful perfume brand in the 1970s and 1980s ?

But it all started with perfume when a US businessman bought the right to use the name Fabergé for cosmetics from Carl Fabergé's two sons - Alexander and Eugene - for 25,000 US $ in 1951. This perfume company, called Fabergé Inc. changed hands several times over the next decades, until it finally ended up with the Dutch-British conglomerate Unilever. Unilever had acquired the perfume brand with all its rights, then in 1989 for 1.55 billion US dollars (= 2.81 million DM at that time), where it remained as Lever Fabergé until the end of 2006.

In January 2007, a Russian oligarch, through his Cayman Islands-based investment group, acquired from Unilever - for an undisclosed purchase price - all Fabergé name rights and the associated licenses.

The perfume itself plus by-products such as deodorants or soaps etc., were from now on no longer allowed to bear the addition "Fabergé" on packaging and flacons.

Today, the fragrance is then sold under the name "BRUT Parfums Prestige" and this continues as a Unilever subsidiary.

My comment on BRUT now itself.
As a young guy at the end of the 1970s, the scent was something I didn't like at all. Somehow too pompous, overloaded with x undifinable components for me. At that time it slowly started with the start of many men's fragrances - pushed by the disco wave at that time. In short, BRUT was simply Bäääh!
At that time, people turned to other fragrances, such as things from Etienne Aigner, Bogart, Azzaro or Lagerfelds Classic, to name but a few. BRUT was quickly forgotten. And it stayed that way - until now in 2020!

By chance (as a small present!) I got a new original bottle, as it is apparently sold today.
A certain skepticism was present, because in the umpteenth brain drawer was still the scented memory from the 1970s stored.
One also experiences a certain change in smell over the decades. Fragrances or aromas that you used to like, you no longer like today, or only to a limited extent.

This is also the case with BRUT. At that time a kind of "no use", but today: oh, I like it!
Perhaps because there were certain recipe adjustments, i.e. original fragrance dominatrixes have been softened today, who knows?
The fact is that I like the fragrance very much, because it is no longer as oppressively present as it used to be, but rather more discreet - in other words, more subdued - it comes across. But I can't determine which component it is due to
All in all the Sillage is quite strong, depending on how much spraying you do. But the durability is remarkable, which can be described as strong if you spray for about eight hours.
In short, it remains in use by me!
Schmutzfuss
That's probably how a man smells
I bought the fragrance really cheap at Action. I was in a nostalgic mood and at the same time in bargain hunting mode. I associate the fragrance with childhood memories from the 70s and 80s. That's how many men in my family smelled when there was any family anniversary to celebrate. In the past, I simply perceived the scent and thought to myself that a man must probably smell like this. Over 30 years later, of course, I see things differently. Today no man has to smell like that anymore...but I would like it if you would smell the scent more often again. When I took the bottle to the office to try it out with my colleagues, I only got a disgusted "Baaah, that's disgusting! This scent will probably cause exactly this reaction in many people, I can almost understand it. The blatant lemon-heaviness at the very beginning really needs getting used to. Aniseed is noticeable to some extent, but the lemon is really dominant. After a short time, however, the 80s effect sets in completely: MOOS, MOOS and again MOOS and oh yes, a tasty touch of vanilla! And I must say: I like it very much! If you don't know what to do with moss, hands off!
Farneon
A bargain ahead of its time, in the here and now!
Once I had ordered this cheap, ancient and still available fragrance and let it go back again. Just because of a childhood association that I couldn't pinpoint. In the meantime, however, I have freed myself to a certain extent from what shaped me in my early years in terms of fragrance technology. Because a lot of things used to be better and only because you think something is old-fashioned doesn't make it worse, does it?

Anyway, "Brut" contains an interplay of scents, which I think is simply great, but I also like to smell (also since my childhood) fennel tea bags! ;-) I guess it's that aniseed-wormwood-jasmine mix that kinda kicks me. This can also be found (partly synthetically produced) in the no longer produced fragrances "D&G By Man" and "Jil Sander Background". At least that's what my nose tells me! :-)

Whoever thinks of "Brut" as chest hair, mustaches, show carts and/or pilot's glasses is in my opinion wrapped completely crooked - similar to "Chanel pour Monsieur". These fragrances are the notable exception of the kind of powerful humming that Sean Connery or Burt Reynolds used to make for me, the "leather bombers" who might have reminded some of "pimps & hookers" ...

That means: The year of publication is not decisive here, because a fragrance like "Brut" stands for itself, even if it seems to have fallen out of time. Even the niche, such as "Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay", is a bit in the notch of "Brut". If only I could describe her a little better! :-( Somehow flowery, but still male, quite ethereal, almost camphor-like, without overwinding. May contain traces of leather, soap, moss and powder (which I don't really like), but only traces ... Maybe that's what makes this fragrance so interesting for me!?

You can classify "brood" as need getting used to or oldschlool, but I really can't imagine that anyone would find this smell unpleasant, neither male nor female. Just try it out: 100 ml is actually available for less than 10 Euro! You can't do anything wrong with it, at the most you can get a sneak peek at it when the lady of the heart says "I'm used to other things there" ;-)
Cool scent then and now
I smelled him for the first time in 1985 as a little boy, in the circle of friends of my older brother. I have to say that it smells just as good today, if not a bit fresher and not so long lasting. But that's just my subjective feeling. With today's laws, this reformulation certainly had to be formulated like many others.
I have nothing negative to say about the scent itself. I use it today and have never been spoken to negatively about that. It was rather asked if this is Jil Sander's background.
He actually smells similar. But only at the beginning.
Cheap smells, like drugstore scents, I don't think he smells like that now. Rather the price makes it associative than cheap (fragrance) product. I'm fine with it, though, because I'm using it. The fragrance itself is first class, only it is very independent.

Brutally broken reformulated
Brut is one of those fragrances, which I had often noticed and forgotten in perfumeries, but never was so convincing for me to be bought or worn.

But as a miniature this is something different and so Brut managed to move in with the addition of Fabergé thanks to a cheap flea market find (see photo below). In fact, it was in such good condition that it looked almost as if it had just been bottled.

At least in my Mini, it came beautifully lavender, slightly rosy, very green and with a skilful balance of delicately sweet and some tangy-spicy notes. Maybe not necessarily an absolute masterpiece, but it's understandable that some of them praise Brut in the highest tones and associate some positive memories with it.

And because I'm a little curious, I wanted to know how much my possibly a little bit old version in the Mini differs from the current "original". I quickly found what I was looking for in the perfumery department at Kaufhof, but was not only surprised but also quite shocked. What the tester on my wrist revealed was simply a crazy sweet-artificial brew, to which I could only recall one association: absolutely cheap!

Of course I am aware that Brut is not a high-class perfume and has been offered for small money since time immemorial. But the scent has been so violently reformulated that it reminds me exactly of the little waters that you sometimes encounter in distant countries in supermarkets or small shops between shampoo and dishwasher detergent. A certain basic DNA is already recognizable, but just cheaply rebuilt.

To match this, he holds a felt eternity and projects like stupid. My original version in the Mini is much more discreet, but also more polished and fascinating. It's embarrassing what the Unilever group has done with this Fabergé classic.

Now I'm a little unsure how to evaluate him. I'm referring to a kind of mean value of old and current version.

I hope that next year I won't find any more scents that have been reformulated so badly. For this year it was at least my last comment and I would like to thank all faithful Parfumo readers - even those who don't make themselves directly noticeable. Happy New Year to you all for 2019!
Minigolf
New courage to live for a great classic
NEVER have I seen "Brut" in a drugstore, perfumery or in the fragrance department of larger department stores, So far.... Now it's on Karstadt. Looked at, tested, approved and bought. So the sequence of my actions. What I am sniffing is very unusual for today, fine flowery, moss powdery, with woody earthy undertones and a warm "shot" of vanilla and resinous balm For me it is a year-round fragrance that is not "tied" to any gender or age.
Even at high temperatures in midsummer "Brut" is suitable in my opinion, because of the pleasantly mild and unobtrusive ingredients. Durability and Sillage are in the medium to good range. I am happy that some good classics, which have managed to please many "noses" and minds for decades, are available again. Even if only action-wise. Here a good smell of new "courage to live" is given. Many young people may not even know him and find his beautiful scent to him or him to them.

GothicHeart
Forever green, never unseasoned...
Is Brut one of the best cheap fragrances ever created? Yes and no. And if this sounds sort of contradictive, I'll clarify it by saying that Brut is simply one of the best fragrances ever created. Cheap or not.
When I was young and foolish, I used to give Brut and any similar priced fragrance a wide berth, cause I was kinda embarassed to admit that I was wearing cheap stuff. I always went for the status of smelling "expensive", and to my vainglorious mind, a fragrance's price tag was way more important than its actual quality.
Now that I am old and I fancy myself as a seasoned veteran of the "Niche Wars", I have no problem to admit that I couldn't be any more mistaken. I have no problem to admit that Brut is an excellent piece of high perfumery, and it holds a place in the "legendary classics" pantheon, along with Old Spice, Pino Silvestre and Tabac Original, although I think it's kinda first among equals, due to its iconic, unique and hyper-elegant emerald bottle.
And now that I've made my confession about my then unfair and short-sighted scent evaluating criteria, I just hope that these old chaps have forgiven me for being such a snobbish and arrogant brat, who used to despise everything that didn't fit in his pompous agendum. And I'm more than happy that the time has finally come for me, to truly appreciate their tremendous gravitas, and enjoy their straightforward masculinity, no holds barred.

Avoirdupois
A classic from the 60s that ruled, loved by high and low ~~ a WINNER !
This is one of THE fragrances that defined the 60s... and it lives and loves on.

It's a fun, fresh, green, spicy oriental wonder that comes on strong, with a pow of anise! Soon its sweetness comes bounding through, with lovely florals, citrus & woody tones that linger and last longer than you might expect.

BRUT is indeed a work of genius. For a low-cost man's cologne to achieve such a cult position, to be worn by the humblest blue-collar workers and the top business & show biz people at the same time is remarkable. BRUT was a leveller! And the bottle is a prize-winning design.

Hey! Not only is this as invigorating as a shot of the best whisky... it elates you, gives you a real feel-good sensation, and is liked by men and women. In fact it was a definite lady-attracter!
2.5

The barbershop king!
Well, after spending a lot of money with many designers and niche fragrances i ended up buying a 10 dollars fragrance. I did buy it because i was on a trip and was without any of my fragrances.

At that time i didnt expect much of it. Actually i did expect something to be used as a bathroom fragrance.

Well, i was really impressed. How come a 10 dollars fragrance could be so wonderful? How come a 10 dollars fragrance from 1964 could smell so rich and complex?

Then i decided to go further.

The first one i had was a Made in Brazil Brut EDC (splash). Then i bought the EDC from an auction site. Then the EDT. Now i have almost 70 oz of Brut, besides the aftershave and deodorant.

Im still trying to figure out what there is in Brut that makes me feel so good when i wear it.

Maybe the coumarin combined with ylang-ylang? Or maybe the lavender and the anise?

I really dont know. All i can say is that Brut is the king of the barbershop fragrances.

Soapy, indeed. Projection and sillage? Skin scent. Lasting power? Good to an EDC, around 6 hours.

Opens with a nice combination of some citruses and herbs toned down by the lavender. Then joins a nice floral bouquet in the heart, becoming very soapy and a little powdery at drydown, with a touch of woods and vanilla.

The EDC is a little smoother than the EDT, but the differences are subtle to my nose.

Simply one of the best scents of my entire collection.

Always Rocks
BRUT Is ever Green Perfume. It is the Best for all time. Arnold Schwarzenegger wears it, It was Elvis Presley favourite , Bon Jovi Wears it. I Love it. It should not be compared to any perfume in the World. Its The Best Perfume In the Whole World. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

KimJongKimJong 11 months ago
There's no more sleek musk that caused Macaulay Culkin's scream. Only lavender citrus remains. Nevertheless, Brut is still my father's Brut.
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
I just turned 55 years old today and there are people who keep telling me that I'm still young, like Brut. So vintage yet so modern nowadays
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Do you remember to see it in your father shelf? Try it to remember old feelings and enjoy a very fresh & spicy fragrance! Surprising scent!
GuapoGuapo 3 years ago
Please, bring back the fantastic old emerald green bottle!

Einfach brut
by TomLavender
by Daljit
by Daljit
by Stinkiwinki
Ylang-Ylang-Knüppel schlägt ein auf Trockenkräuterduftsack.
by AromaTikka
by Miaw2
das orginale faberge brut hat eine kräftige sillage und gute haltbarkeit, der duft bietet mehr tiefe als das verwässerte brut von prestige.
by Smello
by BBking
by ErhanSaceros
by ErhanSaceros
by Stinkiwinki
Brut - herb, trocken und doch würzig und blumig.
by AromaTikka

Popular Brut (Unilever)

Brut (After Shave) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Alaska by Brut (Unilever) Eau de Brut (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Oceans (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Musk (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Sport Style (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Instinct by Brut (Unilever) Brut Attraction Totale (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever)