Brut (1964) Eau de Toilette

Brut (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever)

Brut (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Brut (Unilever) for men and was released in 1964. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by Unilever.

Karl Mann

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Basil, Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kittycat, last update on 05.01.2019

7.5 8.0 8.0 6.5/10
Brutally broken reformulated
Brut is one of those fragrances, which I had often noticed and forgotten in perfumeries, but never was so convincing for me to be bought or worn.

But as a miniature this is something different and so Brut managed to move in with the addition of Fabergé thanks to a cheap flea market find (see photo below). In fact, it was in such good condition that it looked almost as if it had just been bottled.

At least in my Mini, it came beautifully lavender, slightly rosy, very green and with a skilful balance of delicately sweet and some tangy-spicy notes. Maybe not necessarily an absolute masterpiece, but it's understandable that some of them praise Brut in the highest tones and associate some positive memories with it.

And because I'm a little curious, I wanted to know how much my possibly a little bit old version in the Mini differs from the current "original". I quickly found what I was looking for in the perfumery department at Kaufhof, but was not only surprised but also quite shocked. What the tester on my wrist revealed was simply a crazy sweet-artificial brew, to which I could only recall one association: absolutely cheap!

Of course I am aware that Brut is not a high-class perfume and has been offered for small money since time immemorial. But the scent has been so violently reformulated that it reminds me exactly of the little waters that you sometimes encounter in distant countries in supermarkets or small shops between shampoo and dishwasher detergent. A certain basic DNA is already recognizable, but just cheaply rebuilt.

To match this, he holds a felt eternity and projects like stupid. My original version in the Mini is much more discreet, but also more polished and fascinating. It's embarrassing what the Unilever group has done with this Fabergé classic.

Now I'm a little unsure how to evaluate him. I'm referring to a kind of mean value of old and current version.

I hope that next year I won't find any more scents that have been reformulated so badly. For this year it was at least my last comment and I would like to thank all faithful Parfumo readers - even those who don't make themselves directly noticeable. Happy New Year to you all for 2019!
9.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10
Minigolf
New courage to live for a great classic
NEVER have I seen "Brut" in a drugstore, perfumery or in the fragrance department of larger department stores, So far.... Now it's on Karstadt. Looked at, tested, approved and bought. So the sequence of my actions. What I am sniffing is very unusual for today, fine flowery, moss powdery, with woody earthy undertones and a warm "shot" of vanilla and resinous balm For me it is a year-round fragrance that is not "tied" to any gender or age.
Even at high temperatures in midsummer "Brut" is suitable in my opinion, because of the pleasantly mild and unobtrusive ingredients. Durability and Sillage are in the medium to good range. I am happy that some good classics, which have managed to please many "noses" and minds for decades, are available again. Even if only action-wise. Here a good smell of new "courage to live" is given. Many young people may not even know him and find his beautiful scent to him or him to them.
7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10
GothicHeart
Forever green, never unseasoned...
Is Brut one of the best cheap fragrances ever created? Yes and no. And if this sounds sort of contradictive, I'll clarify it by saying that Brut is simply one of the best fragrances ever created. Cheap or not.
When I was young and foolish, I used to give Brut and any similar priced fragrance a wide berth, cause I was kinda embarassed to admit that I was wearing cheap stuff. I always went for the status of smelling "expensive", and to my vainglorious mind, a fragrance's price tag was way more important than its actual quality.
Now that I am old and I fancy myself as a seasoned veteran of the "Niche Wars", I have no problem to admit that I couldn't be any more mistaken. I have no problem to admit that Brut is an excellent piece of high perfumery, and it holds a place in the "legendary classics" pantheon, along with Old Spice, Pino Silvestre and Tabac Original, although I think it's kinda first among equals, due to its iconic, unique and hyper-elegant emerald bottle.
And now that I've made my confession about my then unfair and short-sighted scent evaluating criteria, I just hope that these old chaps have forgiven me for being such a snobbish and arrogant brat, who used to despise everything that didn't fit in his pompous agendum. And I'm more than happy that the time has finally come for me, to truly appreciate their tremendous gravitas, and enjoy their straightforward masculinity, no holds barred.
10.0 5.0 5.0 9.0/10
Avoirdupois
A classic from the 60s that ruled, loved by high and low ~~ a WINNER !
This is one of THE fragrances that defined the 60s... and it lives and loves on.

It's a fun, fresh, green, spicy oriental wonder that comes on strong, with a pow of anise! Soon its sweetness comes bounding through, with lovely florals, citrus & woody tones that linger and last longer than you might expect.

BRUT is indeed a work of genius. For a low-cost man's cologne to achieve such a cult position, to be worn by the humblest blue-collar workers and the top business & show biz people at the same time is remarkable. BRUT was a leveller! And the bottle is a prize-winning design.

Hey! Not only is this as invigorating as a shot of the best whisky... it elates you, gives you a real feel-good sensation, and is liked by men and women. In fact it was a definite lady-attracter!
2.5 5.0 5.0 10.0/10
The barbershop king!
Well, after spending a lot of money with many designers and niche fragrances i ended up buying a 10 dollars fragrance. I did buy it because i was on a trip and was without any of my fragrances.

At that time i didnt expect much of it. Actually i did expect something to be used as a bathroom fragrance.

Well, i was really impressed. How come a 10 dollars fragrance could be so wonderful? How come a 10 dollars fragrance from 1964 could smell so rich and complex?

Then i decided to go further.

The first one i had was a Made in Brazil Brut EDC (splash). Then i bought the EDC from an auction site. Then the EDT. Now i have almost 70 oz of Brut, besides the aftershave and deodorant.

Im still trying to figure out what there is in Brut that makes me feel so good when i wear it.

Maybe the coumarin combined with ylang-ylang? Or maybe the lavender and the anise?

I really dont know. All i can say is that Brut is the king of the barbershop fragrances.

Soapy, indeed. Projection and sillage? Skin scent. Lasting power? Good to an EDC, around 6 hours.

Opens with a nice combination of some citruses and herbs toned down by the lavender. Then joins a nice floral bouquet in the heart, becoming very soapy and a little powdery at drydown, with a touch of woods and vanilla.

The EDC is a little smoother than the EDT, but the differences are subtle to my nose.

Simply one of the best scents of my entire collection.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10
Always Rocks
BRUT Is ever Green Perfume. It is the Best for all time. Arnold Schwarzenegger wears it, It was Elvis Presley favourite , Bon Jovi Wears it. I Love it. It should not be compared to any perfume in the World. Its The Best Perfume In the Whole World. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT

Guapo 22 months ago
Please, bring back the fantastic old emerald green bottle!
10.0

by Irini
by Irini
by Bnd007
by Bnd007
by Miaw2
das orginale faberge brut hat eine kräftige sillage und gute haltbarkeit, der duft bietet mehr tiefe als das verwässerte brut von prestige.
by Mantiko
by BBking
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967

Popular Brut (Unilever)

Brut (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Eau de Brut (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut (After Shave) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Musk (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Oceans (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Alaska by Brut (Unilever) Brut Instinct by Brut (Unilever) Brut Passion by Brut (Unilever) Brut Attraction Totale (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Sport Style (Eau de Toilette) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Oceans (Après-Rasage) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Musk (Après-Rasage) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Attraction Totale (Après-Rasage) by Brut (Unilever) Eau de Brut (Après-Rasage) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Sport Style (After Shave) by Brut (Unilever) Brut Identity by Brut (Unilever)