Hero 2021

Hero by Burberry
Bottle Design Riccardo Tisci
Hero is a new perfume by Burberry for men and was released in 2021. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Coty. Pronunciation

BergamotBergamot Black pepperBlack pepper JuniperJuniper Atlas cedarAtlas cedar Himalaya cedarHimalaya cedar Virginia cedarVirginia cedar

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 03.05.2022.

The face of the advertising campaign is actor Adam Driver, filmed by Jonathan Glazer and photographed by Mario Sorrenti.

MajorTom
We don't need another hero....
Hero - the hero. With such a name, of course, you arouse desires, you stir up expectations and last but not least, you also convey a message to the potential buyer in the direction of "with this fragrance you become a (women?) Hero!"

Since all previous Burberrys, which I know, rather a heavy, sweetish or oriental component in itself, so actually have nothing to do with the Empire or the United Kingdom, I suspected a continuation of this track. But far from it, the prelude surprises me quite positively. Almost tangy and fresh run the first seconds, before then relatively briskly the bergamot makes its way.

Nevertheless, bothers me - and the longer the more - some aftertaste, which prevents the bergamot - successfully - to unfold its full effect. Some others may find this composition beautiful, I as a fundamental fan of bergamot do not. Maybe it's the pepper, which makes life difficult for the bergamot with its sharpness, maybe it's the juniper, maybe both together.

Woods: I had to grin when I troubled the fragrance pyramid to get an idea of what slightly woody shines through. Quite honestly, I wouldn't have thought of the variations of cedar listed there in a million years, but then I'm not a professional perfumer. I love the smell of my cedar shoe trees, but here I have a really hard time smelling cedar as such.

At least, over time, the pepper at least warps to where it grows, giving the bergamot a chance to survive. In addition, the woody touch gradually takes over the stage and lets the bergamot fade, but not completely disappear. At the end, and this is then so after about five hours, the hero says goodbye with a slightly woody wave, although the finale somehow smells very artificial and synthetic to me.

The bottle is okay, nicely done, but visually now not reinvented the wheel. The magnetic closure I find good, suggests at least high quality.

Sillage: At the beginning strong, unfortunately just as strong decreasing. Since just separates the wheat from the chaff. Where high-carat fragrances project for hours, the hero unfortunately lets the wings hang too quickly.

Similarly, it is about the durability. After five to six hours is really only in direct nose contact something perceptible, even there is the (albeit more expensive) competition better positioned.

The fragrance itself fits perfectly into the year 2021, appealing and modern, but at the same time somehow arbitrary and interchangeable. And that's exactly the point I want to make here: not a bad part, there are rows of clearly worse examples, but just not good enough to tear me from the stool and trigger an immediate purchase stimulus.

Test recommendation for those who are looking for a fragrance as a Christmas gift, because you do nothing wrong with it.

Accident or fate?
I accidentally sprayed this men's perfume generously on my wrists during my visit to Karstadt after some testing. Already when leaving the store I noticed the striking sillage that left the store with me. I found the top notes to be slightly sweet and fresh on me. Quite quickly, the cedars joined in. Even late in the evening, the woody smell could be smelled - the fragrance definitely lasts a long time on the skin.
Since I've been into woody and spicy scents for a few months anyway, this oversight was honestly not at all unfortunate! I felt the fragrance is not too "masculine", but by its fresh note he can quite - in my opinion, also go through as unisex!
Hero of the proletariat
"Hero" by Burberry is quite a solid craftsman. Woody, synthetic, usable.

Faux leather. Brown antique cacophony. Very straight, very smooth, very office-appropriate. Geza Schön without fire in the poppes. "Eau de Cade" in more mainstream. I don't want to talk about Cedars. Because I basically like it. Classics are different. Heroic even more so. Still, very unexciting, modern and off-the-shelf done right. The brown suit to spray on. Between the future and the 70s. Olfactory prefab.

Flacon: angular and great + magnetic head
Sillage: totally sufficient mediocrity
Durability: 6 hours, then it gets thin

Conclusion: Not My Hero Academia - but as a very solid, woody "Workhorse" (in both senses) thinkable!
5.5

Smora
Do We Need Another Hero? (Aurelien Guichard, 2021)
Scentrack: Tina Turner – We Don’t Need Another Hero

I was excited when Burberry announced the release of the new masculine line. Although a little bit concerned because of the name – Hero. Unfortunately, my concerns were justified. Burberry Hero is just another 2020’s fragrance. Inoffensive, easy to wear and politically correct male fragrance. Still, it possesses some pale interesting woody nuances that Aurelien Guichard replayed from his earlier creations like This is Him by Zadig & Voltaire or Bois Noir by Robert Piguet. Hero starts with, nowadays very popular, bergamot, some metallic undertones and a nice creamy touch that morphs into a full-blooded cedar heart. The cedar accord is really made of a fresh Virginian variety and a sweeter Atlas one. The composition is extremely contemporary woody, yet not overly synthetic. It has some nice woody and masculine undertones which I can associate with the classic Burberry brand. However, too weak, and bland. Hero is not a bad composition. It smells good, it is versatile, and easy to wear. Not so heroic, but a perfect ticket for newcomers to enter the serious niche woody game. Still, do we need another Hero? No Burberry, we don’t.

Nice but...
As a good Adam Driver fan, I've been to the local perfume shop to smell Hero by Burberry, finally!
I’ll be honest, I expected much much more. Probably it’s because it’s 1 year that I’m exploring niche perfumery so I’m used to other kind of stuff even if I don’t disdain commercial perfumery... but this was so...”anonymous”/generic?
Like yes, it’s without doubts good, but it’s something I’ve already smelled. I’ve tried it both on the mouillette and on my skin, I 100% prefer the smell that leaves on my skin but it's not a perfume I'd buy (for me or as a gift for a man).
Plus even the name is not appropriate in my opinion, you can't call Hero a fragrance that is really normal/average and could be worn by everybody on every occasion, maybe in the office so you don't bother anybody.
Then you show me Adam as a centaur in the ad, nope! Not a centaur frag :'D It's obvious that I have expectations after that!

GeorgeReidGeorgeReid 1 month ago
Hero is a reliable and versatile fragrance. However, the scent is not noteworthy. It won't offend. It won't impress.
Nik604Nik604 2 months ago
A fast and desperate try to dupe Dior Homme 2020 and of course , the outcome is far from Dior's quality /
JMWeedJMWeed 6 months ago
Boring and unoriginal, I find too many scents with this same signature, but better. It would be an ok discount find, not a designer quality
RisingChaosRisingChaos 6 months ago
Fresh, green and woody. Like pine trees with a spritz of lime. Not unpleasant but exceptionally generic woody-citrus. Immediate skin scent.
JcoplenJcoplen 7 months ago
What is up with the cap on this bottle? It looks magnetic, but it's not. It doesn't click into place, so don't pick up by the cap!
BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
The opening is synthetic, citrusy, fruity with black pepper and too much sweetness. The drydown is just boring with cedarwood.
ElysiumElysium 9 months ago
Adorable, lovable, lovely. It deviates from the sweet-salty ambroxan trendsetter by offering fresh spicy accords against a woody background.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 9 months ago
Cedar and iso E super based scent. With a screechy citrus on top. Boring as hell. Get Encre Noire for a better dry woody experience.
MuratArabaciMuratArabaci 9 months ago
This is the result of political correctness, include everyone, exclude no one, made for anyone. SO BORING. I'd rather wear a scented lotion.
Amazon1975Amazon1975 9 months ago
Very very average fragrance. Pretty much forgot about it as soon as I put it on 4-10 at best. Poor longevity. Iso e super with a bit pepper.

Popular by Burberry

London for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry Burberry for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry Amber Heath by Burberry Her (Eau de Parfum) by Burberry Brit for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry London for Women by Burberry Burberry for Women by Burberry Brit for Women (Eau de Parfum) by Burberry Brit Rhythm for Him (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Burberry Touch for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry Body (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Burberry My Burberry Black (Parfum) by Burberry Brit for Him (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry Her Intense by Burberry Body (Eau de Parfum) by Burberry Brit Gold by Burberry Weekend for Women by Burberry Brit Red by Burberry Burberrys for Men (1992) (Eau de Toilette) by Burberry