Aqva Amara (2014)

Aqva Amara by Bvlgari
Aqva Amara (Bvlgari)

Aqva Amara is a popular perfume by Bvlgari for men and was released in 2014. The scent is aquatic-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesSicilian mandarin, Tunisian neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesAquatic notes, Mineral notes
Base Notes Base NotesIndonesian patchouli, Frankincense

Submitted by Michael, last update on 15.02.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is spanish model Jon Kortajarena.

Less helpful Review
Blind buy yes or no?
I've never smelled the scent before and have wondered for some time if I should order this scent. Since it is no longer produced I want to ask if you have experience with the products on Amazon and if the blind buy is worth it ?
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
An epic warm weather wear
It’s a masculine orange that screams out “tasty testosterone”. I get an easy 8 hours in the most sweltering conditions. It’s not for everyone, as the intro is VERY unique. Stage 2-3 are fantastic though; it’s all about if you can handle the ride...
Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
"The Strength of the Ocean"
One or the other will have already heard this sentence from good old Jeremy.
But if one should summarize this smell in a sentence, then in my opinion so.

The fragrance itself smells very freshly aqautisch with an organ note standing in the foreground, which is not too pungent and/or penetrating.

The shelf life goes without problems into the 8-hour range - very impressive for a fresh summer scent. So I perceive it in myself for at least half a day.

The Sillage is just right, not so weak, not too strong.

The bottle is like many others it also describe, very impractical and does not fit to the overall picture of my bottle collection.

Conclusion:
Very good, long-lasting summer scent - a buy recommendation from me, as long as you still get it.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
The ocean in a "flacon"
The scent smells extremely aquatic and actually a little salty in my opinion. It is very pleasant and well tuned. None of the notes sticks out too much and pushes another into the background. The shelf life is outstanding for such a light fragrance. Even 12 hours later it smells and is clearly recognizable. Only the bottle disappointed me. First of all, this is the unusual form of taste, which is rather disturbing in my collection and does not fit into the overall picture. Furthermore, my spray head is slightly defective because it clamps a little what is not surprising with the cheap material. I think I'll decant the scent. This is still no reason for me not to recommend the fragrance. As long as it is still reasonably available the fragrance gets a clear purchase recommendation from me.
Bottle 4.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
gave a second chance and it paid off
I read good reviews so I wanted to buy this, I wanted to like it and perhaps even love it. I tested it on the paper stripes and it did little to nothing for me so I left the store. A few days later the same thing happened but stubborn as I am I applied it to my arm before I left the store for the second chance.

In the beginning there was just just the scent of sea water and nothing else but after a while the mid notes kicked in and the fragrance started to agree with my skin. First sea water with citrus hints, so refreshing and nice and then the frankincense.

Summer is starting in Costa Rica and I’m sure this was the right call, looking forward to it
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Bvlgari, Amara
...maybe the only symphony?
I have tried out many of the Bvlgari fragrances in the meantime and have found that this is the only one I really like and have to offer.

Bvlgari fragrances are not bad, but they usually have the same DNA and offer nothing new. The performance isn't always good either. Amara, on the other hand, provides a classic example of how a fresh fragrance must smell.
The start is fruity which makes you want to take a sprayer. The fresh note that is quickly added is not so intrusive at first. At the latest after one hour, however, this takes over the command and provides for a meeting of an entire orchestra of fragrances.
In the end, only the patchouli remains as the dominant representative of Amara, but is accompanied by the fresh composition until the end.

Definitely recommended as summer scent. It also sticks for a long time and a small fragrance cloud with a distance of one meter is okay
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
The fragrance for the summer of the century
I haven't had Bulgari Aqva Amara on my screen in a long time. To me the blue original was still a term, I have it nevertheless more than 10 years ago times possessed. It didn't really leave an impression on me.

By the many positive comments and...yes...by the pretty boy from Sankt Augustin I became attentive to this Flanker here. I wasn't disappointed.

Aqva Amara is the fragrance I have worn by far the most this summer. The top note is simply stunning. It's like heading for a monster wave with your surfboard crashing over you. I agree with the previous speakers. This is pure refreshment and you can't overdose this fragrance. Especially the tangerine makes you really happy in the first three hours. Furthermore, Aqva Amara is a fragrance that can be perceived for a long time.

Shelf life: I have a sweaty office day in it, 7-9 hours
Sillage: 5-6 hours on trial level
Flacon: The one with the "Blubb", beautiful!

Conclusion: The perfect summer fragrance for office, casual and afterwork. Multitasking.

Also very cheap online. Hit him!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
The Red Hot Gem of Summer
If you know me well enough or just happen you read any of my reviews, you know that I don't believe the hype and rather test and review any scents by myself. In my humble opinion, this is the best Aqva spin-off I've ever got, I really didn't expect to love it, but I do. After loving and wearing the original Aqva pour Homme, which in my opinion was one of the best marine and aqueous scent out there, I got a bit harassed by Aqva pour Homme Marine, which I have fallen in love initially but kind of sickened then since there were too much synthetic seaweed, marine grass, and salty things in there, and purposely did buy neither the two Toniq flankers nor the most recent Atlantiqve, which is not that bad per se yet too much closely akin to Dior Sauvage that I've got in many shapes and dupes, no need for another one in my wardrobe.
But Aqva Amara is a different story... This is a must-have summer fragrance, a really nice one with no more seaweed, yet sourer and interestingly flavored... The master perfumer Jacques Cavallier did a great job here, and I like the way it has been conceived, it doesn't feel like an ordinary aquatic at all. Quite weird to say, Aqva Amara has been stored in my closet for more than 3 years now, it miserably never took part to the summer rotation, but this year it deserved it.

Hence, this morning I woke up feeling like wearing it, and here you're my first impression. Allegedly made with just 5 main motes, namely mandarine orange, neroli, water accord, olibanum, and patchouli, the initial burst is made of a bright and salty mandarin orange, full and fresh citrus peels with a light neroli and a hint of patchouli from the base, which creates that pleasant minty vibe. Aqva Amara, or Bitter Water, is the accurate name of it. It's notably pleasant at least to my nose and smells like an orange sprinkled with salt. Very powerful, with somewhat of an ocean and salty watery accord, but it is not an aquatic. I'd say more like a fresh saltwater drenched in citrus and white sands vibe... Marvelous and vigorous.

The heart is all about orange blossom, or neroli, with a musty, salty mineral note, so wet and ozonic without being too aquatic. The neroli note here is bitter, slightly green, and not as sweet as in other scents with a dominant indolic white flowers tone. The synthetic molecules meant to reproduce the watery accord create an evanescent coolness akin to spring water in summer.

On the dry-down, I do get hints of the typical seaweed accord as in the original Bvlgari Aqva, yet not dominant, mixed with smoky frankincense and modern patchouli. But the great thing about this fragrance is that the tart orange note lasts throughout the whole life of the scent, and the olibanum in the base really balances the oceanic citrus extremely well.

When it comes to performance, the sillage is strong while longevity is above average, about over 8 hours. The longevity far exceeds the original Aqva and is one of the strongest for a citrus based cologne. Overall this is a wonderful iteration of the orange and neroli note, mixed with an aquatic ambiance that is rare, try to imagine Terre d'Hermés in its watery shape, Eau d'Hermés with wet seawater in place of mineral pepper. A rare summer gem in my opinion. the strength of the ocean. I'd dare to say it's currently one of the best summer fragrances for men. Long Lasting, compliment getter, unique smelling, and is best suited for mega high heat daytime casual, as well as office wear.

-Elysium
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 3.0/10 Longevity 4.0/10 Scent 3.5/10
Synthetic disaster
I had heard so much about this fragrance and decided to buy it. I wish I could return it. The orange is very synthetic on my skin and the longevity is horrible. Not pleased with this fragrance.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Bitter water...
Somewhat polarizing this one. I love it, but I totally understand if you don’t. I also enjoy Terre d’hermes with its bitter/tart orange. This one is sharing that feel, yet still an aquatic feel to it.
Also there are some floral notes in the heart of this one.

I get about 7-8h longevity with 3 solid hours of projection. Not bad for a summer frag!

I wouldn’t recommend this as a blind buy ‘cause it’s not your typical crowd pleaser like Sauvage, Dylan Blue, Versace Pour Homme or other “blue freshies”. If you’re looking for that I would suggest Aqva Atlantiqe or Aqva Marine from this line instead.
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Aqva Neroli Incense Scent (ANIS)
Guys and gals, I totally get the rotten eggs analogy; and for a long time, I was in the same boat. Everyone raves about the performance of this sucker, but it's probably because this is a neroli incense BOMB. BITTER orange? Ahhhhh YEAH - because of the patchouli and incense. And for some reason, my skin don't do incense. Nuh-uh. It turns sour and can easily remind me of rotten eggs. But there's more...

You know that trademark Aqva backbone? It's in here, and with the neroli, it makes this stuff grown up and sexy. The incense just provides some spiciness in the sillage. Just make sure not to get in too close - that was my biggest mistake - it's not one of those scents. It's more of an outdoor beast when you need the performance. The scent itself is simple. It goes from an authentic dark mandarin incense, into a neroli incense - and goes on and on and on. I'll say this - it smells of quality and kudos to Bvlgari for making a fragrance that is absolutely true to its notes.

Jeremy's description of this is the "brutal strength of the ocean", but I think a more apt depiction would be the emotions he expresses when making that statement. Notice the grimace and the unmistakable urge to punch something. That's it. Why? Because it's how Amara makes you feel. That initial blast of incense can be off-putting, putrid and can make one act out violently. Hahaha. But believe me, it's MUCH BETTER at a distance - intriguing, unique and even alluring. Give it a few wearings and you'll see what I mean. Cheers.
Golden Aquatic...
This is a really nice one. A creation by the master perfumer Jacques Cavallier, this one is great. I do love the way it has been done. Done in such a way that it doesn't feel like a typical aquatic. With bitter orange, patchouli and possibly some cardamom and herbs, this is a good one. I would happily wear it. It reminds me of the beach and sea, and warm skin. I think it's a masterful fragrance, and really clever for it's genre. With another perfumer this could've been a very generic scent, but with Jacques Cavallier it became something unique and intriguing. I think this is definitely one to try for summer nights and hot, beach vacations. Really well done and it surprised me in a good way.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
Light Orange-resinious Aquatic
I am not usually one for uninspiring aquatics- I don't care for Aqua de Gio much, but heavy watery frags like the original Bvlgari Aqva are enjoyable to me. I like the deep sea feel and dark aquatic notes that make it stand out.

This Aqva Amara is not at all like the original Aqva, however. This is almost the opposite of that heavy blue aquatic- this feels light, but the resins and maybe the intense orange actually give it some weight and substance. Even still, it dances around gracefully, leaving beatutiful wafts of aquatic orange with a slight resin to it, and occasionally the mineral note that is recognizable from the original. Perhaps perfectly planned, but these mineral notes only are apparent when the temperature really heats up, and helps keep it feeling light and airy. The aquatic mineral note lasts forever on clothes, and the performance is about whats expected for a fragrance in this category.

This is ideal for those looking for an aquatic thats different from the usual and a real delight to wear. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't know how anyone could think this smells bad. It is just such a pleasant orange aquatic that is different enough to be noticed and appreciated.

I love it. I have a decent, but not huge collection, but I've been thinking/reaching for this one the most since I got it. I will be buying a bigger bottle, and maybe a backup as well.

I also look forward to wearing this in the cooler months, I think the scent is versatile enough for it.
. .
Scent 1.0/10
aqua amara
this is simply awful ,aquatic rotten eggs in a bottle ,don't waste your money on this ,i didnt think it should b possible to make something most terrible than the prior aqva that i simply neglected but indeed they succeded to give an even more awful rendition

Golcher 39 days ago
Jeremy Fragrance called it “the strength of the ocean” and no wonder why he’s a guru. This is fragrance evokes the sea with citrus hints+1
Bottle 4.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 6.0
Scent 8.5
DavidBraz 153 days ago
Its a synthetic, citrus and aquatic smell with an impressive performance that reminds me hot summer days. Like it a lot! Dont over trigger!+2
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 8.0
Rocendroll 154 days ago
[Nie] Totalnie mi nie pasuje. Odświeżający, ale jest w nim coś co tak mnie obrzydza, że nie mogę go wąchać.+2
Sillage 4.0
Longevity 4.0
Scent 3.5
AmberScent 179 days ago
Damned bitter, fresh, synthetic, alluring, sweet, citrusy, spicy, fruity, agreable, refreshing, cheap smelling, gorgeous bottle fragrance.+2
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 8.0
Jnocomski 6 months ago
I've had it for almost 5 years and can't seem to use it all up as most of the time, I find myself getting nauseous when I wear it. LOL!
Sillage 9.0
Longevity 9.0
Scent 6.0
Elysium 8 months ago
Aqva Amara is a different story... This is a must-have summer fragrance, a really nice one with no more seaweed, yet sourer and interesting!
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 9.0
Lucian 21 months ago
Pleasant, refreshing, gets compliments but for me is a bit boring.
Bottle 10.0

by Tonymu
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Bvlgari

Aqva Amara by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Mon Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Omnia Coral (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Omnia Amethyste (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Omnia by Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme Marine (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Omnia Green Jade by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Extreme by Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bvlgari Petits et Mamans by Bvlgari Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bvlgari