Bvlgari Black 1998

Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
Bvlgari Black is a perfume by Bvlgari for women and men and was released in 1998. The scent is leathery-sweet. It is still in production.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Green tea
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Sandalwood, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Leather, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.07.2020.

Leather and rubber?
Bvlgari's Black has a leather / rubber vibe similar to Bentley's Absolute for Men, and Chopard's 1927 Vintage. This is an absolutely fantastic fragrance and so glad I added to my collection. The leather, vanilla, amber and other notes are blended well. It has decent projection and longevity, although I think Bentley's Absolute may beat this one in terms of performance overall. This has a bit of powder but not overbearing, and this has a dry sweetness, not sickly, gooey, candy sweet by any means. If you like leather and vanilla you'll love this fragrance too! 10 / 10 for me!

Urban Sophistication that I like to smell but not wear
I came across Bvlgari Black when it first came out in late 90s. I was taken by the edgy urban vibe (rubber/tire) that was dark (vanilla), yet still sophisticated (powdery). It was (and still is) futuristic that I imagined metropolitan inhabitants like New Yorkers or people in Tokyo would wear scents like this. I had forgotten about it for a while until Bvlgari started to produce many Black series for men, which are in my liking but it made me want to go back to this original gem. So I blind purchased it. It has been about 9 months since he arrived. I smell him quite often at night, but I may have only worn it twice.
The initial kick of powdery rubber still intrigues me and I still like the vanilla dry down a lot. When I sniff him I get lost in my own futuristic imaginary NY-Tokyo world, but I never reach out to wear it. He is not a loud one, the performance and sillage is not strong, which makes this fragrance all the more personal, but I also do not want to wear this in close encounter. I simply cannot think of an occasion that this fits. Sadly, even if I am in NY or Tokyo I probably do not feel like wearing it considering the other options I have. I still like the scent so I have not completely retired it but it is turning into a wall flower.
3lbows
How Fahrenheit Absolute should smell...
I think every perfumer knows the feeling of having a fragrance in front of him or her that you can really identify with. Most of the time you still have the test sprayer on your hand; you get a "whiff" every now and then, lead your wrist or back to the olfactory bulb and think, man - that's him. I must have that. It suits me. It expresses me. The nice thing about it is that it usually happens by chance. A bit of perfume research here, a bottling there, a free test there, and sometimes it just works
Bvlgari Black is one of those for me. A state of mind expression, an emotional statement, a familiar aura. We like scents especially when they are more than just the sum of their (pyramid) parts, because they stimulate the different regions of our brain that construct our world view. Memories, images, wishes, situations, colours, physical sensations, but never the isolated scent impression, which is the only one we can neither remember nor, for example, dream about. There is always a need for a "wherefore around", and the more of it a fragrance brings, the more intense it is anchored in us
Bvlgari Black has it particularly easy here, as he unfolds a very concrete connotation right after spraying it on, namely that of rubber (tea?), something like a workshop with brand-new tyres. But other associations are quickly added. I perceive a dirty, petroly note (leather?), which is surrounded by vanilla sweetness. This dirty, almost animalistic, warm sweetness, which dominates the further drydown, is what Black is for me. But at no time do I find him obtrusive, bold or unpleasant - no, Black is rather reserved and harmoniously composed. That's how I had always imagined Fahrenheit Absolute, until I was bitterly disappointed by the uniqueness of the latter. As far as the fragrance intention is concerned, Fahrenheit, although fresher, more spherical, more floral and above all - more dominant, plays in the same team of creative garage-smutters. Bvlgari is then, if you like, whose autumn version, the Fahrenheit absolute is not, in my opinion.

It's probably the plasticity of Black that makes the fragrance so attractive to me. Similar to Terre d'Hermes hot orange road, Black is less abstract and easy to understand compared to other fragrances. But that shouldn't diminish his artistic aspirations, because you have to get that right first, without letting the fragrance drift off into the trivial. The real art is to depict more than just smell, to build a bridge, to play with all these sensory impressions, but still to create something that you want to smell, that you can smell well. A garage with car tires alone, or a street in summer heat with a few oranges bumming around in front of you can't do that.

That's why yes: Bvlgari Black is great perfumery, great cinema, synthesis of smell and scent, of olfactory everyday perception and luxury cosmetics, of urban anonymity and cosy warmth.
Bvlgari Black is certainly not for everyone. If you can't stand one of these notes, or the combined effect, you'll find it disgusting. But for me there is a lot in it All the more I find it a pity that he does not have much to offer in terms of performance. One hour, let's say, he shines with a suitably dosed dose of Sillage. One arm's length, that's all it takes, because otherwise his scent concept could quickly become overpowering or even repulsive. After that, however, it quickly becomes skin-tight, and after 6 hours I can practically no longer perceive it.
I haven't come across a suitable alternative yet; Prada's Luna Rossa Black also has this sweet rubber accord, instead of leathery-warm, but it continues to develop a slightly soapy, cool and distant tone. Midnight in Paris I couldn't test it yet, but it's hard to get anyway. Gucci's current release Memoir d'un Odeur is designed very similarly, although brighter and fresher with chamomile.
Black was not reformulated for this. Here I have a vintage residual bottle, as well as current bottling - practically identical in fragrance and shelf life. Speaking of the bottle: it looks chic, definitely an eye-catcher, the rubber coating feels great. So Bvlgari also skilfully communicates its unique fragrance concept via the feel. But the spray head, which in the Vintage version still has a screw cap, is a catastrophe: rickety plastic, which, if not handled carefully, simply falls off when turned on, and if you press too timidly, you will only get a weak jet out of the tyre's surface instead of a spray mist
And who's the best person to buy it now? Although discontinued, Bvlgari Black is still available online at a discount. I still can't recommend a blind buy, it's definitely too special for that. I also think that - although not outdated at all - this is more of an U30. The best way to test the effect is by bottling. Even if you don't like it, Black is a fragrance experience that you should have done once.

Dusky City
Scentrack: Khruangbin – Mr. White

Composed by Annick Menardo and released in 1998, Bvlgari Black was a trailblazer in the fragrance world. I do not know the actual reactions in 1998, but it seems to me Black grew into one of the cornerstones of modern perfumery. A true legend. At this moment it is sad to hear the growing rumors that Black is being discontinued, but it is more than possible that another of our fragrance heroes is going to be euthanized.
Why do I appreciate Black so highly? First of all, it smells niche before the niche. It was very brave of Bvlgari to release something so novel in 1998. Black is an urban unisex fragrance that reminds me of a sunset in a city. Dusky, melancholic, but somehow still realistic. It opens with just a hint of citrus, and immediately goes to the beautiful rubber eraser accord that reminds of my school days. This rubber accord is additionally deepened by a comforting vanilla-amber-Tonka combo with a hint of leather. Juxtaposed to rubber and vanilla is a sparkling (almost peppery) green tea accord that gives the whole other dimension to the composition. Strange how these completely different tunes are coherent in this composition. Later this similar theme was replayed in Body Kouros (YSL, Annick Menardo), Midnight in Paris (VC&A, Olivier Polge), Luna Rossa Black (Prada, Daniela Andrier).
The composition seems simple and linear, but still possesses several somber layers. Black is perfect to wear with a leather jacket, while strolling in a city. The performance is mediocre, while I remember it back in a day as a more potent fragrance. Still, hoping that Bvlgari will not discontinue this dark urban gem for the sake of generations to come.

Creamy rubber
The discontinuation of this little gem made me bought a bottle. I remember having smelled this one back when I started my journey in 2015 and liking it. At the time i bought the also discontinued Midnight in Paris and though that this would had been a redundant purchase.

4 years later, I purchased it just to see if this is really that similar or not and because it could had been the last opportunity before prices go crazy. I'm a huge Annick Ménardo fan and this fragrance is really one of their best creations, imo.

This is a very linear fragrance to start off. It starts off with the rubber accord that combines tea leafs, bergamot and a leather accord.
After an hour, this accord starts to mellow out and the vanilla became the king here. It has the MiP vibe but, imo, much better made. Instead of the tonka this one has vanilla and is more creamy and less aromatic than MiP which has an excellent note of Rosemary, by the way. Although this is more linear.

All in all, this is an excellent scent and I'm glad that I have a bottle. Super unisex and pleasant scent.
Longevity is pretty good. I get 10 plus hours on my skin, but the projection is very moderate in the first 2hours and close to the skin in the rest of the lifetime.
I give this one a 4/5 stars.

Back to Black
This one from Bulgari and Annick Menardo has a special place in my heart and in this video I review the current formulation of Black. Please enjoy......

My favorite blind purchase
I had watched a review on this one years ago and was always intrigued. Finally picked up a bottle a few months back and I'm very glad I did (just wish I had gotten a bigger one). At first I get black licorice, leather, and a bit of rubber, like new tires. Once it dries down the vanilla comes through and seems to stick around for a good while.

From Different Planets
Outside of the very unique bottle, this stuff is horrific. Of all the scents I've ever smelled and reviews I've ever read, this particular polarizing "fragrance" (misnomer) leads me to believe people are full on delusion participating in group think. Honestly, I get a terrible headache whenever I'm anywhere near this stuff. It's like being at a gas station and pumping gas all over yourself. You really want to smell like gas mixed with burnt tires? Perhaps, okay if you're spending a day at the drag races, but I can't think of one legitimate occasion, outside of that, to ever don this stuff on your person. I'm baffled every time I see a positive review of this... Any other fragrance I can see how personal bias comes into play but there is no mistaking this is just awful, awful, awful stuff. It makes me believe that if Bvlgari scraped up dog poop from the sidewalk and liquified and bottled it that it would have legions of fans raving about how fantastic it is. Dollar store cologne is better! Everyone who has ever written a positive review of this stuff PLEASE tell me you did it for grins. PLEASE! I hate this stuff so much I've returned from a multi year hiatus after seeing an email to a link to another review extolling the virtues of this bottled garbage. Thank you, Bvlgari Black for bringing me back, if only for this.

Smoke. Leather. Rubber. Love
I bought this fragnance immediatly after smelling it for the first time. I love it! I find the scent is more leathery than rubber, though I do detect some rubber
when I first spray it on. A soft masculine fragrance with smokey, leathery notes. Hints of florals and bitter vanilla. Easily worn by women and men. I was most surprised at how modern it smelled for a perfume from the late nineties. My only issue with this beautiful odour is the longevity. I have to really smell my skin at the 6 hour mark to detect it. Could it be because it is an eau de toilette? Regardless, even if it lasts only a short while, the beautiful scent is worth every second.
*Love the bottle too. It reminds me of a hockey puck

MasterLi
Smoky Tea & Leather... an Ultra-Modern classic!
Annick Menardo is a perfumer who is known for taking risks... she takes unusual combinations (like Liquorice in Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and Eucalyptus in YSL's Body Kouros) and makes them somehow work... and smell good! Here Bvlgari has released an ultra-modern, "urban" style fragrance, with notes of Lapsang Souchong (a Chinese Black Tea smoked over pine wood), and Leather... to create a "rubber" smell. This is followed by sandalwood, jasmine, and a lot of Vanilla.

I would describe this as a challenging fragrance for some people, but it's very clever. In the same way that people get a "gasoline" or "petrol" vibe from Dior Fahrenheit (of course no such note exists, it's actually a combination between violet leaf and leather). In much the same way, a similar "trick" has been achieved here. There is no "rubber" in the notes, because if you have ever had Lapsang Souchong Tea, you will recognise the smell immediately. The smell of this black tea, combined with the leather, is what gives the impression of "rubber". This theme extends to the bottle, which is partly covered by rubber around the edges, to give the impression of car tires. The bottle itself is a work of art, like most of Bvlgari's bottles, which can only come from a company that is primarily a jewellery designer.

The smell... Upon initial application, you get tea and leather, with some bitter bergamot, this is what gives a feeling of "rubber" in the opening. But then after a few minutes the sandalwood, rose and jasmine appear, before being joined by a wonderful sweet vanilla note which stays until the end. It's both leathery and woody, with the sandalwood and cedarwood giving it longevity in the base. I would describe the projection as "soft" and although it lasts a long time... it mostly stays close to the skin, so people will smell you by getting closer (perfect for intimate occasions).

It's taken me a while to appreciate this fragrance, and different wearings with an open mind. Now I notice the tea note (a note which is very popular in many fragrances by Bvlgari). I think this can be worn by men or women, as it's very unisex. But I think it needs confidence to wear if worn by a lady, as the leather note is quite strong in the beginning.

Overall, it's quite a unique fragrance... and I'm sad to learn that it's now discontinued. But I would suggest anyone to try it as to me it's a very "clever" fragrance which is able to be unusual, modern and sexy all at the same time! I love trying unique fragrances... and Bvlgari Black is one of the best examples offered in the "designer" market.

Dan81Dan81 166 days ago
Powdery rubber with vanilla dry down. 90's edgy vibe of urban yet sophisticated scent.
I like to sniff it but never in the mood to wear it.
TruckladyTrucklady 17 months ago
Menardo's Hypnotic Poison for the boys. More emo than goth, but definite dark number.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 17 months ago
A dark scent pioneer and a gem forever. Fantastic tarry smoke with animalic leather and vanilla sweetness. Its discontinuation was a crime.
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
A slightly off-beat take on leather & vanilla. The leather is smokey-rubbery & the vanilla is a sophisticated blend. Unusual & fun to wear.

# schräg  Fresh21/Foto-Challenge
„Back to Black
by Serenissima
by Serenissima
by Morpheus1
Back to black (leather) with | Bvlgari Black (1998)
by Jaromil
by YKem
by Annkom
by Annkom

Popular Bvlgari

Le Gemme - Nylaia by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Tygar by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Veridia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Calaluna by Bvlgari Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black Essence by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Black Orient by Bvlgari Splendida - Rose Rose by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ambero by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Rubinia by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Gyan by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ashlemah by Bvlgari Splendida - Iris d'Or by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme Extrême by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black All Blacks Limited Edition by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Omnia by Bvlgari