Bvlgari Man In Black (2014)

Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari

Bvlgari Man In Black is a popular perfume by Bvlgari for men and was released in 2014. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Top Notes Top NotesTobacco, Rum
Heart Notes Heart NotesTuberose, Orris absolute, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Tonka bean, Gaiac wood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 27.03.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is French model Patrick Petitjean.

8.0 7.0 6.0 7.0/10

Smellavision
Just a lovely drydown....
I'm not a fan of very peppery scents and I really dislike iris, so this meeting was somehow already predestined to go wrong. What I get is sweet tea, spices, tonka and - the dreaded iris combined with tuberose.Fortunately the iris is not as powdery as in say, Dior Homme. I even get some similarities to Prada Luna Rossa Extreme or Midnight In Paris but with the iris cranked up quite a bit. I don't get any rum or cinnamon and hardly much leather though.

The drydown after the iris and tuberose is gone is just lovely and smooth, but unfortunately just a skin scent - this is where the benzoin and tonka beans shine.

Longevity was also rather disappointing, approximately 3 hours, very weak for a EdP.
6.0 2.0 4.0 7.0/10

Carslk76
Ridiculous performance in a good scent
I only can say that this fragrance has a ridiculous performance with a good scent.We can talk about the notes,the perfumer,ohhh,"Alberto Morillas"...Hahha. but the reality is this fragrance has a very bad performance and the price is high for what it offers.I recommend do not buy it and choose others fragrances in the same vibe like spicebomb and the flanker, extreme.
7.0 8.0 7.0 9.5/10

Less helpful Review
It's in my top 10
Bvlragi man in black is for me one of my favorite fragrances, my hairdresser has bought the after me, an employee of a kebab shop also asked for the name of the perfume and has also bought, have it smelled where next time again there was food, many many and different age groups men asked how that is called that they get it. Unfortunately, but not so strong durability but no matter the smells good otherwise you spray every 4 hours again
9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Here comes the Man in Black
Bvlgari Black Orient I love. And what about Man in Black? A mMn very good smell. This one also convinces me It has a very pleasant scent of wood, leather and tobacco. A lighter rum note is added. Very interesting combination.
Overall, the Man in Black also makes a very high-quality impression.
It stops with me for about 8 hours. Not bad. A fragrance for the colder season for young and young-at-heart men.

With kind regards
7.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

ScentSlave
This Man in Black is definitely smooth...
Such a “darkness” he gives with his spicy vibe... I definitely see a similarity to Spicebomb, just a little less sharp with the cinnamon.

You definitely cannot be afraid to be zeroed in on if you sport this; it definitely says “I AM HERE”, so if you’re not looking for attention, this isn’t the one to grab. It’s not that it’s overly loud, it’s just VERY MUCH THERE. Hard to explain, but it stands out without being too aggressive.

I like how I get random whiffs throughout the day, even when I think it’s faded. It’ll do that to you; a little “hey, I’m still here” reminder.

If you don’t like spicy scents like Spicebomb or One Million Privé, you won’t like this. Nor will you like it if you just love Spicebomb and are absolutely loyal; because honestly the similarities are DEFINITELY here.

It’s a fantastic scent, well worth the purchase, but don’t go blind buying, because this one is a character indeed.
8.0 9.0 9.0 10.0/10

MiB - Me in a Bottle
No other fragrance I can remember can be an extent of myself so perfectly as this one.

This little guy has the power of a horse and the softness of a silk clothing when dries down to a skin scent after a minimum of 8h of great performance.

There's this magic of the tobacco nuances touched by a slight floral note in a boozy, woody, leather jacket style.
This fits my body and fills my soul… what an amazing scent, so manly, so daring, so unique, gentle and dry but warm in the heart.

If I had to have a signature scent I guess it was MiB, even knowing that he could struggle with me during some warmer days but… a smile in my face and a warm heart just makes me happy.

Spicebomb is a close friend… I don't see the two as much similar… although they share a lot, but Spicebomb is much more sweet. MiB is above that. Well done Bvlgari.
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Sweet Tobacco
Scentrack: Heather Nova – Gloomy Sunday

Bvlgari is mostly known by for clean and fresh fragrances, but when they launch a darker composition one could expect something to remember. Bvlgari Black was an iconic release, and it is so sad to see this gem discontinued. In 2014 Bvlgari launched Man in Black. It was created by Alberto Morillas, the perfumer that has defined most of Bvlgari’s fragrance portfolio. Master Morillas is famous for his fresh creations, but somehow I more prefer his darker side.
By the note list of Man in Black, one could expect a very dark, dense and niche-like creation. However, Man in Black is not so black. To my nose, it is more like burgundy. Man in Black is an extremely balanced creation. Dark, yet partly fresh. Full bodied, and again, not overpowering. Sexy, but also office friendly. It opens with a solid amount of spices. Easily recognizable for every nose, but hard to isolate a particular note. To my nose this complex and mellow spicy kick is made of pepper, cardamom, nutmeg and with just a touch of cinnamon. The boozy character is also present, and again hard to define is it a rum, Cognac, whiskey or schnaps. Tobacco is one of the main players in this composition. It is very mature, warm and dark. In the heart is accompanied by almost a feminine touch of flowers – iris and tuberose, and soft suede. The base is woody with some resinous accords. Very nice. Sexy and again easy to wear. In fact, the whole composition is extremely easy to wear, although it is dark in its nature. In flanker of this creation – Man Black Orient, the whole composition is more niche like, with a strong kick of feminine tuberose and leather. Oriental to the bone. Other similar fragrance; there are some. Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb, but Man in Black is far superior. I also find some similarities with a hidden gem – Lalique pour Homme Equus. Equus is woodsier and transparent, but possesses similar sweet vibe (I cannot wait to review Equus).
To conclude, Man in Black is a very offering from Bvlgari. It has some mysterious character, and yet suitable for every occasion (except gym). Extremely balanced and likeable. Unfortunately with spotty performance. A perfect gift for your dad or husband. Nothing to dislike here.
7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Spicy, warming tea
.. I often drink tea in the evening. Always a different kind. This begins with simple, but tasty-sour rosehip tea, continues with various black teas or herbal blends with ginger and extends to special spice teas. And I think of one when I sniff Bvlgari's Man In Black. A warming tea with floral notes, cinnamon, clove, coriander, cardamom... etc.
Sweetened with forest honey and very, very tasty. But according to this fragrance there is no spice in it at all!!???!
Anyway, my nose immediately associated the perfume with such a wonderful tea mixture, which smells almost exactly the same, when I first tasted it.
Yes, "warming" on cold days is "Man in Black" in any case and although it is a so-called "mainstream fragrance", I like it very much and can imagine wearing it. The only "shortcoming" during testing was the spray head of the bottle (tester), which was a bit cumbersome to operate, and then came out too much. Whereby I hope that it is not so with the smell, should I get it once.
Nothing destotrotz a very pleasant warm spiced tea companion.... with good durability and radiation.
6.0 8.0 7.0 9.0/10

Golcher
wear this one with a leather jacket
This is a spice, sweet, boozy and leathery bad boy. Very manly, elegant, sophisticated.

Love the Tobacco and Rum opening (wish the tobacco was stronger), the drydown is sweeter but not as interesting as those first notes (benzoin and tonka are found in 8 out 10 fragrances now adays).

Very well balanced, creates a statement about whomever wears it and if some reviewers compare this to Spicebomb then I’d suggest this may be an edgier version of Spicebomb.
9.0 8.0 7.0 8.5/10

RaySilvers
Simply deliciously perfect to the leather jacket
Jacky Coke to breathe in. Leather, Schnapps, slightly smoky, slightly sweet, gourmandig. Not suitable for everyday life, perfect for going out, perhaps not everyone's thing, some dates will certainly like it others will find it all, intrusive, masculine, open-minded and fun
6.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Man in Black
This is my video review of Bvlgari's Man In Black. Released in 2014 and created by the prolific Alberto Morillas, this fragrance has often been compared to Viktor and Rolf's spice bomb. Enjoy the review

5.0 9.0 9.0 9.0/10

Ru(h)mesduft
Sweet, bitter, leathery and sensual signature scent for the evening which becomes softer and rounder as the evening progresses. After a while you only notice (brown) rum, iris and leather notes, the other ingredients evaporate quite quickly. For stylish, strong characters in a black suit or similar certainly a good choice. Very good Sillage and above average durability with low consumption.
9.0 5.0 6.0 7.5/10

MrInfinite
Sugar, sugar gets me high
Sugar, sugar gets me high...

And insulin takes me back down. My pancreas doesn't suffer much from MiB now but it could have been a little less sweet. The beginning is dominated by the sweet rum
5.0 4.0 5.0 4.0/10

No Alberto!!
Young boy boy, this scent is so uninspiring, that I can't really think of a story about it.
A great framework action would have been possible, be it from pirates, or something else. Instead only yawning boredom.

If you expect an exciting comment now, I have to disappoint you, that will unfortunately only be a miss.

It starts with the top note, I don't like it at all, I'd rather take Dark Rebel when I want to play pirate, it has wumms.

Wet tobacco with cheap fusel that is sold as rum. Plus something indefinable sweet that doesn't fit in, that stings. So Em Eukal moderate.

Then the rest is somehow squeezed together and noodles like that. A bit of leather here, a bit of wood there and you also have to hurry because the scent is gone relatively quickly. All in all, it seems unround and bumpy again and again. I don't see anything of Iris.

But there's one good thing, because now I know why I can't handle brands like Bvlgari, Armani, D&G and Versace at all and that's the name Alberto Morillas. Except for the Mugler Cologne and the M7 / M7 Oud Absolue (which he didn't design alone) I can't cope with his scents. He was also the godfather of the venerable CK One, but here he only took the substances from the cellar. Maybe the Guilty Absloute was funny, but then it was. By the way, I can't speak for women's fragrances here.

One my friend, with us it won't be anything in this life anymore. You may have your followers and also followers of your scents and that's ok too. Besides, I don't want to step on the tie of anyone who thinks it's good or has his perfumes in his collection, I know how fast that works here, if you say something negative. I am adjusted to a Shitstorm.

So no offense, I'll be happy to see you get along with these scents.

So this realization had still potential for me to write a comment, otherwise it would have become for me only a statement to another pale smell.

However, I wonder, is the other also like this? Or similar to other perfumers?
9.0 6.0 8.0 10.0/10

Elysium
The goddess poured Ambrosia over your head
"I dreamed the goddess poured ambrosia over your head—out of a ladle." Oh, man! Could I have this nectar forever? A symphony of boozy-smoky prelude, a floral-leathery interlude, which turns into a sweet-powdery postlude!

Man In Black is relatively bold and masculine, but I find, as we move into autumn/winter, it is not overpowering. It can be worn for both day or night, a darker type of fragrance, and In my opinion, three essential notes make In Black unique. The first is amber rum, one of the top notes, a pure natural extract obtained by highly precise extraction techniques that provides the initial wave of fruity, amber notes. Where many amber rums are characterized by excessive sweetness or harshness, this one has the rich flavor of rum and the complexity more typically associated with a refined whiskey barrel for a spirit. It is full of the aromas and flavors of vanilla, intense caramel nuttiness, and vibrant minerality, made from molasses and sugarcane juice, with a lingering finish that brings sweet notes of butterscotch, balanced with earthy tobacco.
It is all about the boozy, spicy, and smoky opening. I love how the spices are enriching the slightly sweet amber touch and how these balance the irresistibly gorgeous rum note.

The second is tuberose, and here we are in the middle notes, a feminine flower prized for its narcotic opulence that adds an ultra-sensual, manliness dimension. Once the flower heart starts to come out, together with the sweet and buttery orris absolute, it reveals the gentleman in this man who drank a bit too much rum and smoked a tad too much tobacco in the first place.

Last but not least, is the understated allure of leather, its sweet, smoky, woody tobacco notes imparting a faintly oaky, natural, light tone. The harmonious blend of the different ingredients like woods, spices, leather, and amber give life to this cologne. When the fragrance opens up, you can already smell some hints of leather notes, tuberose, spices, rum, and iris.

Black has an intense scent and sharp composition. It depends on your choice as to whether you want to use it for daily use, but many find it best to use for business occasions or special events or at night time. Its longevity is merely incredible. If you want to use it for daytime wear, you will be surprised that the scent still lingers after the day ends. It is boozy, spicy, and slightly smoky with a fair degree of warmth for the colder weather. Projection wise, it isn't all that powerful. It is a decently heavy cologne, but it doesn't project like a beast. It is also a more mature kind of scent, so I'd recommend it for guys in their mid-twenties and up. It is masculine and kind of sexy, but it would work more as a casual type of cologne.

Overall, is Man in Black worth it? Yes, this is a well put together fragrance for guys who like darker/spicier kinds of scents. I enjoy how it smells, and it does have excellent longevity. I do wish that it was a bit bolder, however, if you need something understated, Man in Black will do the job. One last thing, despite the very different opening, In Black smells nearly similar to V&R Spicebomb, especially in the middle and final stages.

-Elysium
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Carlitos01
The Bvlgari handsome man in black
The looks...
This perfume is the black Taj Mahal of perfumery, a monument to the more daring Italian designers. The presentation gives us one of the most nice looking bottles in the market, very manly and sober. Undoubtedly this matte black and rose gold flask does grab one's attention in any shelf. However it's not built with a rudged construction. Also the handy smart locking sprayer may let you down sometimes.

The juice...
If one is allowed to have various signature fragrances, this is one of mine. It's very intense (an EDP), quite aromatic and spicy, with very good quality perfume essences and a manly quite dark scent. It smells expensive and classy. Only Spicebomb comes close, but why use Spicebomb when you have BVL Man in Black? Spicebomb is more bold and spicy but Man in Black is more woody, elegant and wearable (I use both perfumes actually).
This is clearly an Oriental fragrance quite aromatic, boozy, spicy and just a bit sweet.
It opens with a punch of spices and rum. Add some imagination and you will become either Barba Rossa or Jacques Laffite. You may imagine yourself as a powerful pirate captain, fearfully and full of confidence. You will feel like everybody is recognizing your power and strength. It's so good when we are the center of the world...
The heart is not far apart from the spicy boozy opening. Tuberose starts the sweet cicle of this perfume, but swetness arrives with a sour dark leather that contributes for the fragrance DNA. You have the power, but you also comunicate some smoothness and sweetness.
In the base notes you consolidate your strength with a gorgeous blending of the fainting leather, dark Guaiac (called "saint wood" in some parts of Africa and Brazil), vanilla and tonka. And it lasts long enough for you not to regret your choice (8 hours longevity with 2 sprays in the back of my hand).
You must use Man in Black among people who like strong scents. Most people will love your sillage but may become uncomfortable with your close proximity. You should use it in classy parties, weddings, classy clubs or alone for your own pleasure. Humphrey Bogart used this in Casablanca for sure. Unfortunately it may be too intrusive for close encounters (hugging and cuddling), but who cares... It's so marvelous in the proper occasions.
The nose behind it? It's one of the works I prefer from Alberto Morillas but I always think of it as a Nathalie Lorson creation. I wonder why?
Related scents / vibes: V&R Spicebomb, Bvlgari M.I.B.Orient and All Blacks edition and Maison Martin Margiela Jazz Club.
My rates for this Bvlgari jewel called Men in Black:
________________________________________________________________________________________
Scent Opening: 10.0 (ravishing tobacco and rum with sweet and dark sower seasoning of tuberose and leather)
Scent Drydown: 9.5 (tonka and benzoin add a resinous sweetness still kept in the dark by gaiac wood)
Longevity: 8.0 (slightly above average longevity of 7~8 hours with 2 sprays)
Sillage: 8.0 (slightly above average radius of 5 feet with 2 sprays; it projects for 2 hours)
Uniqueness: 9.0 (I take off 1.0 just due to the 2 years older Spicebomb)
Wearability: 8.5 (Fall and winter - day and night; Spring at night)
Versatility: 8.0 (you may still have to "teach" other people to appreciate this wonderful fragrance; but you may well use it everywhere except beach, gym, workout and any kind of hot sweaty places)
Compliments: 9.0 (very good, but not the best; men rate its compliment grabbing ability with a 10 and women with an 8; dark spicy fragrances allways have a bigger compliment efect on men than on women)
Quality: 9.0 (very good quality ingredients; sturdy enough flacon but a faulty sprayer locking mechanism)
Presentation: 10.0 (one of the best looking bottles in the market)
Price: 8.5 (A bit on the expensive side for a designer bottle at 45~50 Euros (plus taxes and shipping) per 100ml flask, but remember that you are buying a market leader)
Overall rating: 8.86/10.0
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recomended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
My opinion: In short Man in Black has Impressive looks, impressive spicy dark fragrance, acceptable performance and price. Will I buy it again? Yes for sure!
Advice: You should not miss this one. You may thank me later.

Music: Imagine Dragons - "Demons"
"Don't get too close / It's dark inside / It's where my demons hide"

Olfactory60
Alberto Morillas finally hits the nail on the head
Upon initial spray, I am reminded of Boucheron's Jaipur pour Homme.
However, unlike Jaipur which morphs from " old - womanish " scent to awesome oriental, Man in Black starts off with testosterone guns a -blazing.
Comparing with Alberto Morillas' other creations, this one is loud, unapologetic, and lasts the longest. Basically tobacco, rum. leather and spices. But the result is a complex masterpiece. 8/10
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

SamuelGustav
Rum, leather and spices delight
Now, this is one hell of a good fragrance! Warm and cozy yet powerfully sexy and manly.
I must say, the bottle replicates exactly what you will smell, love that design so much!
I'm not a big fan of spicebomb (actually it gives me some weird feelings in my stomach), on my skin at least I don't understand why people compare MIB to Spicebomb, maybe the opening with the spices but that's all I think they have in common, to me, MIB is a more sophisticated scent, more mature, and that mix of rum and leather, and I do get some tuberose which give it a very sensual yet very masculine vibe, wonderful.

~ Rum & Spice ~
~ If I was to write a review that is a so called review only I would simply say MIB is, 5/5 stars for scent and 3/5 stars for performance and "I Love it!" then walk away from the keyboard. But this is so much more and deserves words to bring it alive for those searching for that next worthy true perfume purchase! Yesterday all day while testing this sophisticated man on one arm I had another gent on the other a Mr.GPH2 both refined and beautiful spicey similiar cousins. This Bvlgari man is pure boozy intoxication swirling in it's opening rum note held by a gentlemanly warm leather glove. I envision a suave mature man in a smokey jazz club with a rose in his coat pocket, glass in hand with the sillage of an alluring balmy noir scent discreetly projecting from his presence. There is something smoldering here wafting in a faint burning accord that's not off putting but rather very alluring. A touch sweet in it's vanilla and tonka notes the drydown borders on almost gourmand'ish. I am glad this is an EdP and while not a projection bomb it does offer respectable longevity in it's stay. For me this is a must have designer along side La Nuit and The One. Perhaps even in some ways more complex and niche like than even those two respected scents. So yes I do give this a 5/5 for being such a handsome masculine scent and am proud to have this Man on my shelf and as my sotd.
Kind Regards, Plat ~

Neo-Oriental
Man In Black shares a strong resemblance to Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf. However, I believe Bvlgari's quality renders this creation more adequate. The opening is spicy and somewhat boozy due to the rum note. Honeyed spices unite with leather and velvety white florals. Benzoin and Tonka bean contribute to sweetness, but in the faintest manner. If Lancôme produced a men's "La Vie est Belle" I imagine this is what it would smell like. To be realistic, as the fragrance warms it becomes something between Spicebomb and Maison Martin Margiela Jazz Club.

Omardo 22 days ago
The spicy rum opening is wonderful.
Then it evolves in the only leathery fragrance i can stand so far. Very persistent on the skin.
Golcher 15 months ago
Pro: very masculine and seductive. Con: Not versatile at all

it’s amazing, wish there were more circumstances where you can wear it+1
DavidBraz 16 months ago
Sweet alcoholic leather. Strong and very good smelling. I would love to fell more powderiness and less sweetness. Classy and mature+3
Carlitos01 18 months ago
It's very intense, manly, quite aromatic and crafted with very good quality essences. It smells expensive and classy. It's a Bvlgari bomb.+5
Jazzy76 19 months ago
So warm, so pleasantly smoky, so unexpected for its tuberose touch: yes, sir, I tested it on my feminin skin and it smells wonderful!+2
Mkpunk 2 years ago
This is a really mature scent. I got a Scentbird of it and I love it. I really will need to get a bottle of it when I am done with it.+2
Elysium 3 years ago
Oh man! I wish it could last forever. A symphony of boozy-smoky prelude, a sweet-leathery interlude, which turns into a powdery postlude!!!+2

by Parfummaster
by Vmaster
by RR1
by RR1

Popular Bvlgari

Le Gemme - Veridia by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Nylaia by Bvlgari Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Calaluna by Bvlgari Splendida - Rose Rose by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Rubinia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black Essence by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ashlemah by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Black Orient by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Tygar by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ambero by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black All Blacks Limited Edition by Bvlgari Splendida - Iris d'Or by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Omnia by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme Extrême by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Black by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Malakeos by Bvlgari