Bvlgari Man In Black Essence 2017

Bvlgari Man In Black Essence by Bvlgari
Bottle Design Illustration: Laolu Senbanjo
Bvlgari Man In Black Essence is a popular limited perfume by Bvlgari for men and was released in 2017. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH. Limited Edition

Top Notes Top NotesRumRum Bitter orangeBitter orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesCocoa beanCocoa bean Orris absoluteOrris absolute
Base Notes Base NotesEbonyEbony Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 18.05.2022.

SmellGoodGuy
Clearly inspired by Shalimar (Extrait)
Think of Shalimar (Extrait) with booze and a harsher citrus note, minus the Jasmine, and enter the cacao. Clearly not as rich and well blended, but definitely inspired. Manlier.

I didn't catch it until I recently acquired the Extrait version of Shalimar. I kept on thinking it vaguely reminded me of something and then, boom: this.

There's no way Alberto Morillas didn't draw the comparison, even if it were inadvertent.

The Journey to my centre of the Earth
My signature fragrance up till 3 years ago was Boss Number One. Halston Amber for Men along with Bvlgari Man in Black succeeded up till 15 months ago. Then, for a year or so, I chose the fragrance MIB Essence as my signature. The reasons seemed obvious to me:
- It is the type of scent that pleases me the most, but some other fragrances do it also.
- I am really in love with the bottle, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It's quite versatile and wearable for my taste, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It has an above-average performance but some other fragrances do it also.
- It's a magnificent scent to use at leisure, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It has attractive pricing for the "package", but some other fragrances do it also.
- It's easy to order so far, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It is quite unique, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It's an obvious choice when I don't know what perfume to use, but some other fragrances do it also.
- It's a perfume that fulfils all the conditions above, and no other fragrance I own does that.
- If I would be Robinson Crusoe, as a priority I would choose this fragrance to salvage from the wreckages.

When I first bought it, I confronted it head to head with the original Man In Black. They are somewhat similar in the opening, but Essence has more "muscle" and the drydown goes in a different direction. The spices and the woods of Essence have been turned up significantly and there is a cocoa heart note that remembers me of Valentino Uomo. Essence is drier, less sweet and with a less strong and more elegant booziness. The MIB musk note seems to be almost absent in Essence and I don't miss it. It has some very much appreciated common vibes with Pure Havane, SpiceBomb Extreme, Valentino Uomo and CH Men Privé. I would appreciate also an oud soft vibe, but I rely on other specific perfumes to get the non-versatile oud note when I feel in the mood for it.
This is a perfume that I usually use for my own personal pleasure, not caring much for "ladies olfactory pleasure" although it happens in a reasonable amount. It's a very mature fragrance - I am in my 50's - and not intended for youngsters. As appropriate seasons, late Fall, Winter and early Spring are obvious choices, although I wear it at night independently from the season we are in.
It projects intensely for the first two to three hours. Overall I get the longevity of more than 9 hours with three sprays on the skin and two sprays on clothes. The maximum sillage is around six to eight feet.
It's quite unique and so far, I never met anybody using it at the same time as I did.

THE SCENT JOURNEY
Upon the first spray, the fragrance reminds me of Pure Havane due to a cherry tobacco dirty and loud scent. As Man in Black Essence does not have a tobacco listed note, I imagine that my nose is fooled by the boozy rum note blended with oriental spices and bitter orange (this one resembling a dusty floral note), resulting in an intense dirty seductive tobacco vibe. I cannot identify individual spices and it may be just a mix of cinnamon, clove, vanilla, pepper, mace, nutmeg... I do enjoy the opening a lot.
This booze and oriental spices accord leave a stunning scent trail and a statement of "I am here !".
The development heart fades slowly the boozy rum note, while the bitter orange & dusty florals keep escalating, toning down the spices. Sensual cocoa & soft leathery vibe is quite present at this stage, while the woods (orris for sure but maybe guaiac also) start to reveal its alluring character.
After one hour or so the scent opens up with balsamic, dark and tonka sweet woody notes. The oriental spices are equally matched and balanced with the sweet dark woods.
As I am a dark woods scent lover, I can only state that the beginning of the drydown It’s really a very pleasant one. The calm finally arrives with the drydown full development. The scent ambience is one of a creamy, sweet & dark woody body with a soft leather undertone. A skin scent is still detectable still by the 9th~10th hour.
The fragrance journey offered us an impressive boozy beginning, a glorious oriental & cocoa heart, and a sexy dark woody dry down. Compliments and admiration are guaranteed from both sexes.
The journey is now complete with ample satisfaction. Bvlgari Man In Black Essence is an olfactory happiness switch.

Scoring my former signature scent:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Opening.....................10.0 (Fantastic: Spicy and boozy)
Drydown....................10.0 (Fantastic: Sweet, woody and smoky)
Longevity (h) ..............9.0 (up to 9~10 hours with 3 sprays on the skin)
Sillage (ft)....................9.0 (6~7 ft with 2.5 h of good projection)
Versatility....................8.0 (Above average pending for colder temperatures)
Usability......................8.5 (High; Not suitable for any hot temperature event)
Compliments..............7.5 (Agreeable, elegant, alluring, but not a compliment champion)
Uniqueness.................9.0 (almost unique, but is a flanker of MIB)
Quality.........................9.0 (above average quality, good cap & lock on sprayer)
Presentation...............10.0 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................8.0 (€ 40 for a 100 ml tester + taxes)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average:................8.90/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on this admirable Essence:
Very good presentation and overall very pleasant and elegant, making it an easy choice. You will feel different and with a lot of class! Above-average performance. The price is competitive for its quality and looks.
Recommended? Yes.
Is blind purchase worthy? Yes.

Music: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Lucky Man"

MihaiuMihaiu 2 years ago
Masterpiece. for mature gentleman. pretty weak but is ok for this tipe of frag
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
A complete perfume for me: woody, spicy, smoky & resinous, with a magnific scent & good performance, On top of it, a beautiful presentation.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Gorgeous dark fragrance! It contains the best smelling Orris note ever. It has been appointed as my perfume CSO (Chief Smelling Officer).

by TheScenter
by SmellGoodGuy
by Stere
by Stere

Popular by Bvlgari

Le Gemme - Tygar by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Nylaia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Kobraa by Bvlgari Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Black Orient by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Calaluna by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Rubinia by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Veridia by Bvlgari Splendida - Rose Rose by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Gyan by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ashlemah by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme Extrême by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black All Blacks Limited Edition by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ambero by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Splendida - Iris d'Or by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Wood Neroli by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari