Le Gemme - Gyan 2016

Le Gemme - Gyan by Bvlgari
Le Gemme - Gyan is a popular perfume by Bvlgari for men and was released in 2016. The scent is spicy-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH.

Jasmine sambacJasmine sambac
Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by CPL, last update on 08.09.2021.

Gyan translates to divine wisdom from Sanskrit.

Viseron
About knowledge and the universe
I would like to take you on a journey today. A journey to the source, to nothingness, to pure darkness. Into a world where we realize that we know nothing. That we are only a very small part of something incomprehensibly big.

I have always found the exploration of the universe very exciting. As a young child, I often looked up at the night sky and counted the stars. At night, it was quiet and dark. Somehow I always liked that. Even today, I like to go for another walk at night, sort out my thoughts and enjoy peace and quiet. The older I got, the more intensely the big questions of existence occupied me. Where do we come from? What is the meaning of our existence? What else is there to discover in this infinite, black space? Numerous films further shaped my interest. Classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey come to mind. A breathtaking film that was way ahead of its time. However, at my age at the time, I couldn't really understand many things. I do today, though. However, I will never forget the premiere of the movie "Interstellar", which I was allowed to enjoy in the cinema as a teenager. This film has shaped me like hardly any other. Never before have I been taken visually and emotionally on such a breathtaking journey into the universe.

(At this point, a quick recommendation to anyone who has never seen the film. Well worth it!)

With this little excursion, I want to set you thematically on the journey Gyan took me on. "Gyan, [is] a Sanskrit word meaning "divine wisdom"," according to the Bvlgari website. I think this word actually describes the fragrance character perfectly. The fragrance is dark, magical, jet black, yet transparent, calm and appealing. It doesn't play with fireworks of notes, but is aware of its simplicity. "In simplicity lies beauty", according to an ancient proverb. And that applies exactly here.

I can't even describe exactly what I smell. This is definitely not a revelation of natural fragrances or expensive and exotic ingredients. But the scent is so coherent, introspective and balanced that I couldn't care less. All three of the aforementioned scents are perceptible, but yet it's so much more. It starts off very fresh, kind of metallic. The base reminds me of the kindred Tygar. But Gyan seems much more interesting with its dark, slightly smoky and floral aspects. The scent is airy - floating even - but always present. The bottle is thematically very appropriate, reminiscent of a space artifact with its stature and color. Deep black color with blue gemstone. Hardly any other fragrance manages to bridge the gap between interesting DNA and extremely pleasing basic theme like Gyan. An absolute nose flatterer.

If Cooper in Interstellar had worn a fragrance in the scene when he travels through the black hole, there are few more fitting than Gyan.
Pole of Tranquility - Silence - Darkness - Weightlessness - Fascination

Amazing...
This is awesome, plain and simple. It’s a frankincense perfume through and through that’s supported by patchouli and jasmine flower. The blending is ridiculous. It’s a tad jasmine sambac for the first hour where it turns into patchouli and olibanum that dries down to potting soil and what smells like amber which ends up being incredibly smoky, balmy and woody that lasts for a long time. The dry down smells like resin, wood, a wee bit indolic that’s cleverly hidden. There is nothing feminine about this, trust me. Guys, do not be afraid of this due to jasmine that personally I love. It’s a blend as a whole that creates an intoxicating accord that’s beyond, intoxicating. Gyan is noir, very dark, soapy clean, mysterious, very mysterious. Unusual even but totally intoxicating. The sillage is complex. This is a sillage perfume where you smell all the goodies. Up close it’s so hard to dissect, it’s a blob. From afar it’s awesome.

It’s a sheer perfume, wispy like. You cannot smell this while wearing. Expect unsolicited compliments hours after applying. It’s very deceiving in it’s delivery. I will not say overly strong but Gyan does have a considerable sillage where 2 spritzes provides more than ample performance for a solid 12 hours. There’s a nod in the opening to Chanel’s CoCo Noir minus the fruity notes and after development it seems like a deconstructed Chanel Bleu I kid you not. As a whole to me, this smells strongly of new, fine clothing or a very nice department store. Not linear in the least. It’s a very complex scent that develops beautifully which for some strange reason ends on a Middle Eastern accord that I swear to you smells exactly like oud and amber. I can’t figure out how these 3 notes create this but this entire concoction is without a doubt, Arabian. I firmly believe that there’s secretly an unlisted synthetic agarwood accord because upon first spraying this smells exactly like bandages and the dry down is far too creamy and ambery for only frankincense, patchouli and jasmine.

The perfume behaves how Baccarat Rouge 540 does. It’s almost non-existent on your skin but after many hours and body heat, it wafts this stunning and smoky, somewhat sweet and woody ambery patchouli goodness that smells purple and green but very dark. It’s stellar.

I am a hardcore lover of all 3 of these notes and these in unison here are blended to perfection. My only complaint is that this is not a heavy scent which I think was intentionally done or else this would’ve been a nuke. It’s a niche scent, barely. It’s not worth $325 that’s for sure. Not that this doesn’t smell absolutely amazing, more for the fact that it still feels designer in a sense. This is worth about $150. Super cool perfume for Men, one of the best I’ve experienced in years.

Gyan just oozes ‘I’m sophisticated, back the fuck up’.

Signature Scent Worthy
When worn, Gyan is a sexy cloud of resinous smoky patchouli with a sweet jasmine sambac radiating from the center. The patchouli is not that "hippie smelling" patchouli, this is a rich and refined patchouli.

Gyan is a smooth non-cloying fragrance (unless you really over do it) that can be worn anywhere - Black tie events, office, out with friends, or on a date with that special someone. Gyan gets a lot of unsolicited compliments and smells fantastic.

Gyan projects around 2 meters (6ft) and leaves a nice smoky sweet jasmine trail of fragrance in your wake.

As far as I am concerned, this is a year-round fragrance. Hot or cold weather, you will always smell great.

Gender-wise Gyan would smell great on men and women 25+. Younger people that prefer fresh scents will probably not appreciate this as much.

Gyan as well as the rest of the Le Gemme collection can only be purchased at a Bvlgari boutique online or in one of their brick and mortar locations.

Yes the Le Gemme men's line is a little pricey ($310 for 100 ml) but honestly, you are also paying for presentation as well as the amazing juice. The box is very nicely padded. The sleek black bottle is topped with a blue gem. Each Le Gemme fragrance has its own gem color. I have tried each one and all are worth trying out.

Gyan is a solid 10/10

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 8 months ago
Initially briefly citric, a clean and soapy, gently smoky, spicy-floral Mid season fragrance, balanced by a warm earthy-woody base. Unisex!
VmasterVmaster 3 years ago
Gorgeous! Smoky patchouli that manages to stay in the background, with a sweet jasmine sambac that dominates the experience.

by Vmaster
by Vmaster

Popular Bvlgari

Le Gemme - Tygar by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Nylaia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Calaluna by Bvlgari Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black Essence by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Veridia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Black Orient by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ambero by Bvlgari Splendida - Rose Rose by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Rubinia by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ashlemah by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black All Blacks Limited Edition by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme Extrême by Bvlgari Splendida - Iris d'Or by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Wood Neroli by Bvlgari Omnia by Bvlgari