Aqva Amara 2014Eau de Toilette

Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari
Aqva Amara (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Bvlgari for men and was released in 2014. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It was last marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Acqua di Giò Profumo (Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesSicilian mandarin, Tunisian neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesAquatic notes, Mineral notes
Base Notes Base NotesIndonesian patchouli, Frankincense

Submitted by Michael, last update on 19.09.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is Spanish model Jon Kortajarena.

Either freshly pressed or - Amara
Now I'm a big fan of lemon, lime and bergamot and I'm always chasing the sour-tangy scents. But anyway - the comments so far have made me curious, tangerine, tart, sunny...so ordered Amara...funny bottle but also a bit difficult to place. Sprayed on and...astonishingly fresh if not really citric, astonishingly tart and all that without bergamot. I would call it a soft fresh with super durability. The fragrance changes little with time, but has amazing nuances. Quite a bit unusual. The tangerine is already overripe, slightly acidic, but a good balance between tart and fruity. Neroli goes well with it without standing out too dominantly. Maritime is supported by a slightly salty note and complements itself perfectly with the slight warmth of patchouli. I am really enthusiastic about this really exciting composition that knows how to surprise. And since fresh scents often fly away too quickly, everyone here has a real performer among the newcomers...
Great summer scent
Beautiful masculine summer scent that combines citrus and maritime notes well. For me it is number 2 behind Chanel allure Edition Blanche in summer. Unfortunately aqva amara is no longer produced and there are only remnants left. Regarding the fragrance itself, you can really perceive all the listed ingredients. Very well composed. In the beginning strong tangerine. Shortly afterwards, the aquatic and mineral notes emerge. But the tangerine remains in the background and you can smell it until the end. For me the best of the line
A Sicilian memory
Intro - My memory
----------------
A sunny day at the end of November in southern Sicily. There are only few clouds in the sky, the sun warms and a gusty wind cools me down again. It is the birthday of my father, who died half a year before. During a hike through a deserted and quiet nature reserve, directly by the sea and accompanied by my best friend, I remember this day - in harmony with myself and nature. The spray of the sea sprays fine salt water on our skin again and again, which is dried again by the wind. Our way leads through the grove of an organic citrus fruit plantation. Some oranges (or mandarins?) are still hanging from the trees to the left, ripe lemons to the right. With a slightly guilty conscience we steal a lemon, cut it into four pieces and bite into it for refreshment. The dried salt our skin mixes in the scent of the lemon and the oranges on the trees that now surround us.
This is the memory I have every time I apply Aqva Amara. I thank this memory and this fragrance that makes this memory so alive again and again.

The inner picture before your eyes
-----------------------------------
Detached from my very personal memories, I associate this fragrance with a beautiful sunny day in spring and summer, perhaps also on a warm autumn day. The inner picture before my eyes shows me a southern country - Italy, Spain, Portugal. The person who wears the fragrance is dressed casually but very elegantly. The fragrance gives its wearer a fresh, cultivated and noble aura. One likes to stay close to this fragrance, but he does not want to be applied too intensively. It is not a fragrance that I would associate with overly extroverted appearance, rather with a balanced serenity. Maybe that's why I see this fragrance in its potential more in leisure time, but it can be worn here and there in the office. I also understand that the fragrance seems more made for the male gender, but I see it more as a unisex scent. A woman who is feminine but not distinctly girlish, who knows what she's worth and who likes to dress casually but very stylishly: yes, I can imagine this fragrance very well on the female sex.

The smell
------------
:: Opening: Right at the beginning it opens with a wonderfully pleasant mixture of freshly pressed, slightly overripe mandarins and oranges (or neroli), provided with a clear, but at first remaining aquatic note in the background. At the very beginning I smell something like grated lemon peel in the background, but it disappears very quickly. The fruity notes dominate the prelude, but the mixture of the mineral and aquatic notes soon catch them again and in my opinion never give the fragrance such a distinct aquatic freshness, which is often found in other fragrances in this profession. In its opening one can enjoy a "youth" through the slightly bitter neroli/mandarin scents, which give the fragrance something very lively.
:: Drydown: The frankincense and the somewhat undefined mineral notes ground the fragrance and give Aqva Amara its noble touch, its character. The fragrance becomes noticeably "calmer", which occurs about half an hour to an hour after the opening. The fruity notes of the opening fade more and more into the background, but never get lost - not even until the end. They merge into a fragrance harmony, as in a symphony.
:: Haltbarket & Sillage: I consider the durability to be very good, but it should not be shorter. For me this is about 8 hours on the skin and a little longer on the clothes. Amara is not a Sillage bomb, it is rather discreetly noticed after about 1-2 hours. After about 4-5 hours it is still perceptible for people who come closer than an arm length ;-)
:: Season & Occasion: Of course the fragrance is primarily at home in summer and also in spring. Here it shows its effect with bravura. But also for a beautiful and/or warm autumn day it fits well, I think. I wouldn't even advise against wearing it in winter - here the question is, for whom do you wear a fragrance? If you wear the fragrance for yourself and your well-being, you will certainly find days in winter that make it the ideal companion. I can well imagine it also on a winter day when I want to let the sun shine "inwardly".
In general, one can call the fragrance already versatile: I would not wear it for going out or clubbing, but otherwise it can be a good companion in the evening. His domicile is for me, however, rather the day, especially in my free time, but also very good in the office.

My conclusion
--------------
An unbelievably well done fragrance, which builds a beautiful bridge between fresh and aquatic and also more elegant fragrances. One of the few, I think, who builds this bridge masterfully.
Not everyone will like this "bridge" (but this is usually the case with fragrances). It is certainly not made for the masses, but rather something individual. So it's not necessarily everybody's darling, none of those fragrances where you could say that there's nobody who doesn't like it. But that's another thing I really like about him and that's something I think is very desirable, especially for perfumes. Maybe it's the other side of course, that's why such great fragrances will be discontinued (soon).
I advise anyone who has the opportunity to test it not to let this chance pass - if only to experience an olfactory moment of pleasure.
I wouldn't want to miss this fragrance and if it hadn't been invented, it would still have to be discovered. However, sometime when my bottle runs out, I will have to say goodbye to it. Until then, I'll enjoy it and remember it forever

P.S.: If you liked my first comment, or if you have constructive criticism about it, feel free to comment on it - I would be happy to do so.
Bitter Sweet Symphony
There Mr. Cavalier has once again conjured up magic. As a fan of his creations, I must also express some praise for this fragrance. Mr. Cavalier is a master of his trade when it comes to getting to the heart of a fragrance with few ingredients. In addition, it is unique and long-lasting. This was the case with Emporio Armani Diamnonds, Diesel's Feul For Live and now also Aqva Amara. All of them I have or had in my collection. Aqua Amara was a blind buy I don't regret. It didn't last long in the beginning, but as with many fragrances, time determines maturity. After approx. 2 months it now lasts very long and enchants me literally while wearing it. But unlike other users here, I only associate this fragrance with the ocean to a limited extent. At the beginning it is too bitter and too sweet at the back. But what does not disturb in any case!

About the scent itself... Aqva Amara starts with a whole basket of bitter oranges that might directly deter one or the other. At first, the bitterness is indeed a bit intense, but it quickly settles on a salty mineral bed of watery freshness. This is where the fragrance comes into play in combination with a slight sweetish touch of incense. At this stage, Aqva Amara is a symphony of fruity, fresh and subtle sweetness with depth through the patchouli. Towards the end, the salty aquatic loses its salty character and then remains sweet and slightly warm, with a certain creaminess.

The shelf life is exaggeratedly good for an "Aquaten" and is present well over 8h. The sillage is 1-2h good after that but still very well perceptible.

I can only partially rate the bottle, because I have the 30ml version, where the bottle is slim and can be placed. Nevertheless I like the normal one, which has the shape of a water drop. I think it's chic!

Finally it remains to say that Cavalier succeeded here with Aqva Amara an ingenious throw. Once again he has managed to convince me with his minimalism and his ingenuity. Who would like to smell particularly and above all elegantly freshly, this smell should treat itself absolutely or test it at least once. A masterpiece in front of the gentleman and definitely one of my favourite scents for the summer.
Jln20
When you have found its scent
The bitter tangerine...
Loving, cheerful, entertaining
and sad at the same time, melancholic
the blue-green sea...
Trust and hope and infinite time,
Backgrounds that nobody can see through
and
the transience of beauty
The crashing surf ...
breaks through the rock and washes it out in copper colors
Smoke on the water...
White signal steam, campfire illuminates the gout on the beach while the last rays of sunshine on the bush let the young tangerines ripen
The power of the sea
My personal review on the power of the sea.

I first discovered the fragrance with my girlfriend while strolling around. Quite inconspicuously this drop bottle stood in the corner. I smelled it and thought to myself simply WOW! Hahahahahahaha which scent could be more aqeous than the sea itself. I had a picture of a ship's boatman who has to catch fish out in the sea and then sell them at the Hamburg fish market. A fragrance for real men.

Durability and silage is really extraordinary with this fragrance. Durability easily exceeds 6-12 hours during warm to hot temperatures. Sillage is noticeable in any case. However, because the scent is more in the nish direction, it is not a crowdpleaser so don't expect 10 compliments. For the everyday life or the office super suitable. But for party I would rather use a different fragrance!

The Tunisian Neroli also lifts the fragrance from the classic Aqua di Giorgio. Sad is the news that the fragrance is no longer produced apparently :(
Chizza
Freshness for the motor boat trip
The exciting thing about summer scents is that there is diversity. There are those who have dedicated themselves to fresh citrus scents, there are those who prefer the Mediterranean beach backdrop. There are also mixed forms or completely different approaches. Green Irish Tweed has one in it and in my eyes - not to be compared with GIT of course - so does Aqva Amara.
It starts with what many here say. The tangerine and the neroli form a bitter and fruity pair, like the first dive into the sea after a long time. I just mean the feeling, not the smell itself. For many people, Aqva Amara seems metallic and this is probably due to the mineral and aquatic notes described. Therefore Aqva Amara does not make me travel to the beach and dive into the cool water, no. I rather see myself here on a boat, splashing spray while driving through the sea, the sun hits the boat and the boat feels accordingly. Hot, it's as if this heat from the boat itself is olfactorically tangible, mixing with the cool wet. Then there is the bitter citric, for me that is Aqva Amara.

But at the same time it is also a fragrance that I can only give myself in warm to hot weather. If it is cooler, the fragrance loses its flair and without it it is relatively unspectacular and linear. Therefore also my evaluation. But since we are currently in spring, he made it out of the box with the unused scents
Uncompromising
A lot has been said about the scent. But I'm wearing it right now and I still think that not everything has been said. I find this fragrance extremely likeable, because it makes absolutely no compromises:

- Mandarin in all facets, sourish and also heavy, almost rotten sweetness
- no "light breeze aquatic"
- quasi no scent gradient
- absolutely unsuitable in the office, this is a fragrance for the beach (... or balconies)
- in my opinion you should really only wear it with a casual-elegant summer outfit
- radiates irrepressible self-confidence, especially because it is not a crowdpleaser and the sillage is strong
- almost obtrusive durability
- highly impractical bottle

This fragrance is a statement, certainly not pleasing. This is niche. Test it before you buy. You love it or you hate it. I love it.
LeGourmetNRW
The citric mandarin grove at the ocean
i was looking for a companion for balmy summer evenings on the rocky coast of Ischia and wore this representative of the art of fragrance for a longer time.

My opinion about this fragrance has changed a lot over time.

I bought Amara because of the good price-performance ratio and because I liked the old Aqua of Bulgari already during my studies.

Amara opens with the sweetness and also acidity of the mandarin and the aqua typical "freshness kick" of the ocean.
I feel the fragrance in the heart and base note when this freshness kick evaporates when sprayed on is as sour fruit. Yes, the acidity paired with a slight sweetness of tangerine dominates the whole fragrance and makes it unfortunately one-dimensional for me.
The durability on my skin is good to very good and it lasts 7-9 hours on the skin but only there.
The Sillage with me as well as with my circle of acquaintances who I let try it was very weak. The scent can be smelled for 1 hour during a normal spraying process, after that only in the intimate zone, i.e. on the skin/garment, can be perceived.
Like the Aqua, the bottle is a drop of water that takes up a lot of space in the perfume cabinet (the 100ml version), but is visually appealing due to its simplicity.

In general, I find that for around 50€, Amara is a solid, Mediterranean, simple companion for the warm days that will hopefully soon reach us all again. I will certainly spray it from time to time in summer.

Gatsby
Salty mandarine: the ultimate summer time stunner
I was pretty sure after the old, beautiful Kenzo Pour Hoome, the 90s formula and first one, nothing will thrill me during the hot days, especially when I am in vacantion. Suddenly, the magic happened. Very first formula 2014/2015 (there are also some made late in 2013) - niche vibe as many of the fragranticas wrote here, bold, strong, with a touch of ambergris, sea plants and sand smell covered in a mandarine-glacee aura. Extremely powerful in the old editions, still ok after the reformulation. The reformulated editions starting late 2016 early 2017 are nice but different in therms of quality from the original edition. The mandarin was substituted with something orangey, don t know exactely what but after reformulation, the mandarine and "ambergris", salty vibe from the original disappeared. Absent in almost every online store in 3.4 oz amount including Bulgari official website. For sure, the best designer summer scent in the last decade. Strong projection and more than 12 hours lasting on my skin. Grab a vintage, it s simply amazing, a must have for summer time and very soon something unique considering the disparition in 2018. Mainstream masterpiece!

DPArtistDPArtist 70 days ago
Foul (or is that fowl?!) stuff, smells like egg white, sprinkled with white pepper. Fantastic bottle, extremely over-hyped fragrance.
VmitsopoulosVmitsopoulos 8 months ago
Love this juice perfect for the summer it is an absolute beast highly recommend
AithanAithan 8 months ago
I mainly get bitter orange scent all over. Get the image of cocktail mixing.
Performance is above average.
Quite similar to Terre d'Hermes.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 18 months ago
Strange but agreeable! Sour but fresh! Citrusy but aquatic! You may hate it or love it, but it is undoubtedly different, unique and nice!
GolcherGolcher 21 months ago
Jeremy Fragrance called it “the strength of the ocean” and no wonder why he’s a guru. This is fragrance evokes the sea with citrus hints
DavidBrazDavidBraz 2 years ago
Its a synthetic, citrus and aquatic smell with an impressive performance that reminds me hot summer days. Like it a lot! Dont over trigger!
RocendrollRocendroll 2 years ago
3.5
[Nie] Totalnie mi nie pasuje. Odświeżający, ale jest w nim coś co tak mnie obrzydza, że nie mogę go wąchać.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Damned bitter, fresh, synthetic, alluring, sweet, citrusy, spicy, fruity, agreable, refreshing, cheap smelling, gorgeous bottle fragrance.
JnocomskiJnocomski 2 years ago
I've had it for almost 5 years and can't seem to use it all up as most of the time, I find myself getting nauseous when I wear it. LOL!
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Aqva Amara is a different story... This is a must-have summer fragrance, a really nice one with no more seaweed, yet sourer and interesting!

by Andreas09
by NasiGoreng
by MyKosmo
by MyKosmo

Popular Bvlgari

Le Gemme - Veridia by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Nylaia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Tygar by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Calaluna by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man Black Orient by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black Essence by Bvlgari Splendida - Rose Rose by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ashlemah by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Ambero by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Rubinia by Bvlgari Bvlgari Man In Black All Blacks Limited Edition by Bvlgari Splendida - Iris d'Or by Bvlgari Bvlgari pour Homme Extrême by Bvlgari Jasmin Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline (Eau de Toilette) by Bvlgari Omnia by Bvlgari Splendida - Tubereuse Mystique by Bvlgari Le Gemme - Gyan by Bvlgari