Byblos (1990) Eau de Parfum

Version from 1990
Byblos (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Byblos

Byblos (1990) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byblos for women and was released in 1990. The scent is floral-fruity. It was last marketed by Diana de Silva.

Ilias Ermenidis

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Bergamot, Cassia, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Passion fruit, Peach, Blackcurrant, Tagetes
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia, Honeysuckle, Heliotrope, Iris, Orris root, Lily, Lily-of-the-valley, Mimosa, Orchid, Rose, Violet, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesRaspberry, Musk, Pepper, Vetiver

Submitted by Antoine, last update on 03.11.2019

8.0 6.0 7.0 5.0/10

DonJuanDeCat
So many flowers... Too many flowers!!
Hi, guys. How are you doing? Look what kind of scent I'm gonna cover today! Byblos by... well, byblos :D
"Where the hell did he dig that up again?", you might ask yourselves, and yes, I agree with you, the smell seems to be somehow unknown, at least I've never heard of the brand before... but I'm certainly not as old as all of you here, ho ho ho ho :DD

(*sigh* actually I am already a real old bag, because I was born BEFORE this smell... aaaaargh, but well... nobody has to know that *sigh*)

So, Byblos, then. Byblos is a city in Lebanon and is one of the oldest places in the world, which has been permanently inhabited by humans since time immemorial and was of great importance due to its port, especially in antiquity and the Middle Ages (or in the Middle Ages for the Crusades). And the fragrance brand (or the fashion company) was... well, not named directly after this city, but after a hotel in St. Tropez, which was named after the city. Soo, so far the story and all that :D

But to answer your question, I didn't dig up this scent somewhere Indiana Jones-like, but just got it from a lovely perfume, so thanks again for that :)
So, and now to the fragrance description!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins both fruity and juicy, as well as slightly stuffy and flowery. From the flowery notes I would first guess the mimosas here, as well as the honeysuckle (because of the very light, honey-like scent in the background). I smell pineapple and passion fruit from the fruits, but the fruits are quickly overlaid by general flowers, where flowers such as marigold, ylang-ylang, gardenia, orchids etc. are quickly added. All rather dry and stuffy scents, which smell more exhausting than pleasant (so if you don't like these scents). The much more pleasant floral scents like lily of the valley, violet, iris or lily are only perceived as a mix of powdery-sweet scents in the background.
Only a little later, when the stuffy floral scents lose a little of their intensity, you can perceive the "juicier" scents from time to time. The iris root, for example, is well perceived, it resembles the scent of grated carrots and smells quite nice. Then there are green notes that smell nice and fresh.
Again later, however, the fragrance becomes drier again and above all more stuffy, because the fresher and juicy-green fragrances described above quickly disappear and the flowers mentioned earlier, which do not smell pleasantly sweet and/or powdery, but stuffy, are left behind. I don't like most of the fragrance with that, but who knows... maybe you ladies like it, because it's one of those fragrances again, which absolutely doesn't smell sweet, and some of you would like to have some not sweet fragrances every now and then.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is upper mediocrity and thus well smellable from the proximity.
The shelf life is much better because the fragrance lasted longer than eight or nine hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is hemispherical, dark blue and displays the logo and fragrance name on the front, which have been applied directly to the bottle instead of standing on a label. The lid is bronze-coloured, rises like a column and ends with a round plate from which a flower (I think... :D) grows. All in all it is a very beautiful shape and pretty to look at.

Soo, as already written in the fragrance description, I didn't like this fragrance at all. As you know, I don't like scents that smell very stuffy with floral notes. Hm... that always sounds as if I would think that I would not like the smells at me, no, I meant naturally with it that I do not like these smells generally, thus also with you ladies not. Because these stuffy flowers just lie unpleasantly in my nose and I can't get anything beautiful out of the scent.

So, you can imagine it already, I can't exactly recommend a fragrance (and would probably even be glad if you didn't discover this and such similar fragrances in the first place! Maaaan, I want you to be biteable, so olfactory... uhh, you know what I mean... he he he :DD). If you still want to wear it, it's best to wear it in spring, when the weather isn't that hot yet and you can still breathe a little besides this stuffy scent. In summer, however, a danger symbol (e.g.: Caution: takes away your air!... or something similar) should be placed on the bottle :DD

Well, that brings me to the end again. I wish you all a nice evening, then until the next time :)
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Tessa
The trasured city of Byblos in a bottle
Let your imagination take you to an open market in this old city of Lebanon and allow your senses to probe into the wealth of fresh fruit : zesty bergamot and sweet pineapple. Open your eyes and try to see where the deep white smell of gardenia and honneysuckle are coming from. They are persistent and envelopping and you carry them along with you, now in search of the peaches and black currant and it is like a maze of flowers and fruit, a huge maze where you do not mind not finding your way out.
Just let your imagination take you to Byblos.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A Felicitous Journey Back to Twenty Years Ago...
Based on all of the positive reviews I had seen, I decided to pick up a bottle of the limited-edition re-launch of BYBLOS, and I have to say that it smells very nice indeed. This fruity-fruity-floral perfume reminds me a lot of Van Cleef & Arpels FEERIE edt (not the edp, which smells like fruit syrup...), except that it is more floral. But, wow, the fruit smells so very succulent!

Although this perfume is forceful, it is not at all aggressive. Instead, I find it extremely inviting. I am so happy that I followed your advice, BYBLOS lovers! (When I saw one savvy perfumista's review, I knew that this perfume had to have merit... And also a review by a charming gay fellow who said that he was almost converted by the scent of this perfume on a woman! (-;)

I imagine that this sort of composition may not hold up well over the years, but this limited edition re-launch has provided me with the opportunity to experience this beautiful, complex creation as others did twenty years ago!

Jazzy76 9 months ago
Fizzy and flowery-fruity, it was my precious mate in the summer nights of my Youth. Very nice the blue bottle with the desert rose. Lovely+1
10.0

by PhilosHippos
by BBking
by BBking

Popular Byblos

Byblos (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Byblos Byblos Man (Eau de Toilette) by Byblos In Black (Eau de Parfum) by Byblos Fusion by Byblos Sandalo by Byblos Bamboo (Eau de Toilette) by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Mare by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Cielo by Byblos Byblos for Man (1993) / Byblos pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Metal Sensation by Byblos Uragano by Byblos Terra by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Leather Sensation by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Ghiaccio by Byblos Musk by Byblos September Morn by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Sole by Byblos Fuoco by Byblos Blu Love Affair by Byblos Elementi di Byblos - Luna by Byblos