Bal d'Afrique 2009Eau de Parfum

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-fruity. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Molecule 01

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Buchu, Neroli, Tagetes, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Jasmine, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vetiver, Atlas cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.02.2021.

3.5
I don't get the hype.
The scent is pleasant but very unexciting, the hype I personally do not understand.... My fragrance is not at all. For me, the scent does not really smell like a perfume, but more like a cream or how it smells in some wellness oases. Clean, soft and pleasant but not like a fragrance I would like to wear, because I can only bear the scent for a short time. For me, the also a bit too masculine and somehow oppressive in the dry down..

How does the smell so. In the first moment you smell very clearly Tagetes and Buchu, which causes me nausea. A combination I can not stand. Tagetes we had in the garden when I was a kid... I always thought that Tagetes had a kind of cat urine note...Shortly after that I also smelled clearly lemon and neroli. But that's it..The scent stays linear, so it doesn't tell a story... The hardly changes except that this oppressive aura is always clearer..

It is in no way a fragrance that you can buy reassured blindly, even if you might suspect it, if you read all the positive reviews. I do not see a picture in front of me, who could wear this fragrance...? For me as I said more a man than a woman but I see nothing in front of me. For me a soulless boring fragrance with no charisma. Projection is weak and the scent stays skin tight. Sillage is not present..
Cnt
You are the first and you will be the last
My wedding scent... A blind purchase, like so many.
You take me in your arms and I am all with you bal d'afrique.
You are not what is absolutely new. Maybe you have smelled something like this or something like that before. But you are different. Matching my husband, matching yes to him and matching everything I like. Slightly tangy at the beginning, it has a deep and warm scent which never drifts off into an unpleasantness. Really always wearable in my opinion. I wore it at 31 degrees, a well measured whiff kept coming. In the cooler night he was cozy there.
Very good durability, very good sillage and the projection is also not from bad parents.
I will always love you, you will also always remain - you are special
Xoxotushka
Breathe in and your spirits instantly rise....
That's the effect this fragrance has on me.
Sweet, delicate, seductive, deeply vibrant, persistent aroma! Highly recommended to all perfume maniacs. Never received so many compliments from strangers as when wearing Bal D'Afrique.
Sannah
Gone with the wind - to a place of choice
From this fragrance I have only a sample, but still - it was enough that the now also comes to my wish list.
When spraying on I feel the fragrance as fresh citrus and fruity at the same time. It reminds me of Ombrella Crash by Jacques Zolty, which I like very much.
While a fresh, salty sea breeze with fruity notes blows around my nose, it is here a warm tropical wind that brings the sweet scent of fruits and flowers. As it progresses, I get a slightly more tart woody note that fits wonderfully. The citrus and a nice spice remain present.
With both fragrances I can close my eyes and feel transported to a beautiful place, they make a good mood.
This one I find more feminine, softer, warmer and perhaps even more beautiful for me.
FvSpee
Lemon butterfly hovers over cyclamen
Bal d'Afrique is a very popular fragrance with over 400 owners here in the Forum, at least for a simple and quite expensive (50ml=127 €, 100ml=187€) niche product. It also seems to be included in the collection of fragrances of the muse Calliope, inspiring its users to write numerous and wordy reviews: Eight comments only this year, ten statements in the last 30 days!

So far I have been quite satisfied with my laconic statement. But the fact that I was able to enjoy this wonderful perfume on myself again today and at the same time saw it appreciated in Insa's (very readable) blog post on light, simple fragrances motivated me to add another comment, which hopefully will be as simple (though not as beautiful) as its subject.

Anyway, the Swedish-French house Byredo does not enjoy a good reputation in my gang in this forum. I agree that the brand combines high prices with, shall we say, discreet performance. And I find about two thirds of the house's fragrances I've tested to be mediocre.

On the other hand, I appreciate the simple design as well as the double renunciation of hyperinflationary emission policies and excessive, stupidly chattering advertising steam. And I always find jewels among the fragrances of the house that are second to none, so that Byredo is one of the very few brands of which I own three products (bottles of 50 each, that's my financial compromise: with a large collection of fragrances you won't get to use up 100ml anyway).

Bal d'Afrique is an incredibly cheerful, light, gently floating perfume, which immediately evokes in me the thought of a butterfly. Its big, big heart is delicately floral: all kinds of pretty, modest, lovely violets with pastel-friendly and delicately moist, velvety petals. A pale yellow citrus veil hovers above them, underneath (with narrowed eyes) a whispered base can be seen, which (horrible dictu in this delicacy) even gives a hint of something dark and woody.

That's about it, actually. Bal d'Afrique has two rather rare ingredients that I do not know more closely, but which are plausible in this fluffy scent: The Buchu bush, which is native to South Africa and traditionally used as a medicinal and spice herb, which has an aroma reminiscent of blackcurrant, and the South American Tagetes plant, which is said to have an aniseed-saffron scent, contain coumarin and sometimes have slightly psychedelic effects.

The fragrance pyramid on the manufacturer's website differs slightly from the one shown here, it does not contain neroli and marigold, but the African marigold. Despite this, the composition's references to Africa (and to the idea of a ball) should be as delicate as the fragrance itself. But never mind, I still find the name beautiful.

Bal d'Afrique, for all its simplicity, is very independent and unmistakable. The projection of the fragrance is discreet, but the shelf life, assuming a generous dosage, can last up to six hours. In its softness it is certainly not a typical men's fragrance, but as the reviewer and almost 39% of the owners catalogued here show, it is absolutely wearable for men
Hesitation for advanced students
Normal procedure:
I get a sample or bottling,
Test 1: likes or dislikes, many fall out after the first test, adios, this will not work out between the two of us, I am very rigorous Test 2: second chance, shortlist, test a few times on different days, either he falls out or:
I really like the scent, the nasty want to have reflex
*joke modean*
You know what I mean and which trains of thought plague us perfumes: which scent can be put into the souk, check your account balance, check your Paypal balance, how much dog or cat food is still there, how long will the gasoline for the car last, weekend shopping is totally overrated, men/women/children can't eat at their relatives' until the first of the next month.....the usual even if you want to have a scent :-)
*joke mode off*

Then I see if I can get a bottle in the souk or find a good price with one of the usual suspects.

With Bal d'Afrique, it was different somehow.

I used up the sample, the question came up: buy a bottle...oh not yet, it's nice but does it have to be?
The next 10 ml as a bottling bought here, used up, buy a bottle...neeeeee still not..but it's sooo beautiful ....but you actually don't like this flowery one, angels + devils on the shoulders were clearly noticeable.

Another 10 ml bought here as a bottling and consumed in record time.... damn it, why doesn't anybody here in the souk sell a bottle??

This little wonderfully smelling beast has so crept into my scented heart, unbelievable....why is it that nobody here still sells a bottle in the souk??

Some people sniff coconut here, fortunately I don't notice that at all, violets also not really, the complete scent is beautiful, creamy, fruity, fluffy, light and bright Round, soft, interwoven, no fragrance sticks out, extremely well done.
I would classify it as unisex, this fragrance is wearable for everyone, uncomplicated and friendly.
With me the fragrance develops an amazing durability of 8 hours and more.

There are days when you just want to feel completely comfortable and well cared for.
On such days the fragrance should not polarize, deter, attract attention or enter the room in front of you.

Spring days, long summer evenings, sunny autumn days, first dates, business appointments, as a mood enhancer, the cosy day on the sofa, Bal d'Afrique simply always fits.

The Devil won, and I finally ordered a bottle... and don't worry, the hubby and the cats are well taken care of and don't go hungry :-)
Peppery lemon water
When I was looking for a summer scent, I came across the Swedish brand "Byredo" by chance and sniffed through the range. The fragrances were without question not mainstream at all, but all of them embody an extraordinary scent character, which is also linked to various associations.
"Bal d'Afrique" is a very light, fresh citrus scent, which has paired with bergamot and does not bring a particularly heavy depth, but rather walks in a straight line and does not change further in the fragrance. However, I would definitely describe it as a unisex scent, as the wooden notes of vetiver and Atlas cedar are already relatively dominant at the top, giving it a finely spicy note that makes me think of pepper. The floral notes I do not necessarily perceive now. Nothing for the grand entrance, but rather something for everyday life and the office.
SezerOglu
Creamy dessert in the flower garden
My first comment. This scent compels me to do so.

It starts with a fresh breeze, this wind transports the smell of butter cookies and a citrusy creamy dessert. Little by little I smell the flowers in the flower garden, the creamy dessert has not been completely eaten, and it doesn't wind so strongly anymore.

Unfortunately everyone has to work tomorrow, so we can't stay too long. After 5 hours it's over.

I only ordered this sample, because I didn't want to pay only for a sample shipping :D This was the best decision of my perfumo life. It's been a long time since I fell in love with a fragrance at first sight.
No matter how long; or rather how short it lasts, I must have it! Probably 100 ml, because I have to spray more often :)
Creamy dream
Bal D'Afrique is one of my absolute favourites, the one in front.
The fragrance is a mixture of floral-fruity-creamy. Also slightly sweetish. A mixture that I love!! Especially here. While I classify the other Byredo scents as either too pungent or slow to unfold, this one is completely different. It's warmer and very pleasant, not an extreme candidate. Not extremely creamy, not extremely floral or fruity. All in a very pleasant measure and harmony. The fragrance unfolds relatively quickly and then stays that way. I would rather classify it as feminine.
As to durability and sillage: one of the few shortcomings. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long, rather short, which is a pity considering the great scent. Especially with the relatively high price. Another shortcoming (at least for me): the scent is quite well known by now, so you often smell it in everyday life. That takes away its uniqueness a little. But as we all know, it's hard to prevent that in the internet age:))
I would definitely recommend him despite the price. If you like to smell well-groomed and yet pleasantly striking, Bal D'Afrique is just right for you!
Mikadomann
"Recipes for Summer - Creamy Tarte au Citron"
"... prick the dough several times with a fork and bake it blind for 10 minutes.
In the meantime: Beat the eggs with the sugar until white-frothy. This may take a few minutes Add the grated lemon peel, cream and half of the juice.
Pour the lemon cream on the baked base..."

I bake a pretty good tarte au citron Like every hobby baker, I love to snack on ingredients, dough and fillings, preferably when they are not yet cooked.
When baking the Tarte au Citron, the cream that I stir to spread on the bottom of the dough is particularly tempting for me when I snack on it.
And exactly this taste, or: exactly this smell I remember when I first sprayed "Bal d'afrique".
I have at first the association of this lemon cream.
Now, of course, I have already heard about the creaminess and lemony fragrance of this perfume in other comments and statements. However, I didn't expect this strong tendency to 'taste', to the gustatory, to the gourmand.

"Variation: Tarte tropicale ...
You can also replace the lemon with a ripe mango.
Then use only half of the cream and add the appropriate amount of coconut cream..."

After only a few minutes, however, I notice that this scent is less clear than I had first suspected.
Although my impression remains on the level of taste associations, I suddenly have more of an idea of piña colada or mango-coconut cream.
This description can also be found in other comments and statements. I can understand both associations well. If I wear them frequently, I even get the impression that both fragrance descriptions fit well, complement each other, possibly alternate.

I like the exotic scent even more. In the first perception of this note I draw a parallel to the fragrance "Pacific Rock Moss", for which I wrote a statement and the surfer from this statement drinks a Piña Colada instead of beer... He still stays cool...

"During the baking time you prepare the decoration.
Mix the water with the sugar and let it simmer gently over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Take the syrup from the hot plate and one by one the white flowers through the liquid.
Let the flowers drip off on kitchen paper."

It would definitely not be correct to describe "Bal d'afrique" as a sweet scent. Nevertheless, the described creaminess remains very sweet for me during the whole time.
For me, this best describes what other forists have already described with the term "clean scent".
I do not have much experience with gourmand fragrances. However, I can say that I have not been particularly enthusiastic about alcohol notes like rum or whisky or with chocolate and coffee in perfumes so far.
So after the prelude I eagerly waited for the floral notes.
Now it may well be due to my untrained nose: I hardly smell any violets and also very little jasmine. And now I was really looking forward to the flowers!
So the scent remains for me quite limited, long linear and in the end too much ... cake-like.

"Leave the tart to cool completely before sprinkling the sugared flowers on top It looks particularly pretty if you serve the tarte in a rustic style on a wooden board."

At the very end - and this conclusion describes a skin-near perceptibility for me even after eight hours - the fragrance becomes interesting for me once again.
While it is a constant companion throughout the day, in terms of durability, and sometimes flattens more subtly in the Sillage, but then rises again, it turns surprisingly into the woody at the end.
For me it is only very quietly perceptible, but very pleasant. The scent gains warmth once again.
But for the first time this warmth is not associatively tropical - exotic, but true and 'in itself'.

For me "Bal d'afrique" is a beautiful fragrance in the best sense of the word.
It is light, creamy, clean, fruity. It is everything that is written in all comments and statements.
It makes me feel neat, clean.
I'm comfortable with that scent.
Like freshly showered.

And now I'm sitting in my white bathrobe... biting into a piece of tarte au citron
And that's the smell:
Somehow homemade according to a recipe.
Yummy!
But:
Patisserie is different.

And then there's
What has this - by all means - to do with a "Bal d'afrique"...?

And most of all:
I would like to thank the "Duften Frau" for the excellent organization of the sharing.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 months ago
A communion made of amber, musk and vetiver that will make you dream of flying over the flowers of Masai Mara or Okavango.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 5 months ago
Unfortunately this didn’t do for me. It has shy performance. At this price point I expected something much better.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 6 months ago
Well-blended scent that opens with a creamy lemon. In the drydown, the scent gets a little more floral, woody, rounded by a beautiful musk.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Fresh, fruity, sweet and flowery. Well composed but a bit pricey for what you get.

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Pralinchen
Zum Vatertag nochmal die männliche Version meines Fotos, ist schließlich ein Unisex -Duft ;)
Yes, I love flowers :)
by Ancaan
by Pollita
Sonnenuntergang in der Savanne (Dank an Nui)
by Knopfnase
by Iriska
by Narcoperfume
by Narcoperfume

Popular Byredo

Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Night Veils - Reine de Nuit by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Eleventh Hour (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo