Bal d'Afrique 2009Eau de Parfum

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is fruity-floral. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Buchu, Neroli, Tagetes, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Jasmine, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vetiver, Atlas cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.11.2020.

Hesitation for advanced students
Normal procedure:
I get a sample or bottling,
Test 1: likes or dislikes, many fall out after the first test, adios, this will not work out between the two of us, I am very rigorous Test 2: second chance, shortlist, test a few times on different days, either he falls out or:
I really like the scent, the nasty want to have reflex
*joke modean*
You know what I mean and which trains of thought plague us perfumes: which scent can be put into the souk, check your account balance, check your Paypal balance, how much dog or cat food is still there, how long will the gasoline for the car last, weekend shopping is totally overrated, men/women/children can't eat at their relatives' until the first of the next month.....the usual even if you want to have a scent :-)
*joke mode off*

Then I see if I can get a bottle in the souk or find a good price with one of the usual suspects.

With Bal d'Afrique, it was different somehow.

I used up the sample, the question came up: buy a bottle...oh not yet, it's nice but does it have to be?
The next 10 ml as a bottling bought here, used up, buy a bottle...neeeeee still not..but it's sooo beautiful ....but you actually don't like this flowery one, angels + devils on the shoulders were clearly noticeable.

Another 10 ml bought here as a bottling and consumed in record time.... damn it, why doesn't anybody here in the souk sell a bottle??

This little wonderfully smelling beast has so crept into my scented heart, unbelievable....why is it that nobody here still sells a bottle in the souk??

Some people sniff coconut here, fortunately I don't notice that at all, violets also not really, the complete scent is beautiful, creamy, fruity, fluffy, light and bright Round, soft, interwoven, no fragrance sticks out, extremely well done.
I would classify it as unisex, this fragrance is wearable for everyone, uncomplicated and friendly.
With me the fragrance develops an amazing durability of 8 hours and more.

There are days when you just want to feel completely comfortable and well cared for.
On such days the fragrance should not polarize, deter, attract attention or enter the room in front of you.

Spring days, long summer evenings, sunny autumn days, first dates, business appointments, as a mood enhancer, the cosy day on the sofa, Bal d'Afrique simply always fits.

The Devil won, and I finally ordered a bottle... and don't worry, the hubby and the cats are well taken care of and don't go hungry :-)
Peppery lemon water
When I was looking for a summer scent, I came across the Swedish brand "Byredo" by chance and sniffed through the range. The fragrances were without question not mainstream at all, but all of them embody an extraordinary scent character, which is also linked to various associations.
"Bal d'Afrique" is a very light, fresh citrus scent, which has paired with bergamot and does not bring a particularly heavy depth, but rather walks in a straight line and does not change further in the fragrance. However, I would definitely describe it as a unisex scent, as the wooden notes of vetiver and Atlas cedar are already relatively dominant at the top, giving it a finely spicy note that makes me think of pepper. The floral notes I do not necessarily perceive now. Nothing for the grand entrance, but rather something for everyday life and the office.
SezerOglu
Creamy dessert in the flower garden
My first comment. This scent compels me to do so.

It starts with a fresh breeze, this wind transports the smell of butter cookies and a citrusy creamy dessert. Little by little I smell the flowers in the flower garden, the creamy dessert has not been completely eaten, and it doesn't wind so strongly anymore.

Unfortunately everyone has to work tomorrow, so we can't stay too long. After 5 hours it's over.

I only ordered this sample, because I didn't want to pay only for a sample shipping :D This was the best decision of my perfumo life. It's been a long time since I fell in love with a fragrance at first sight.
No matter how long; or rather how short it lasts, I must have it! Probably 100 ml, because I have to spray more often :)
Creamy dream
Bal D'Afrique is one of my absolute favourites, the one in front.
The fragrance is a mixture of floral-fruity-creamy. Also slightly sweetish. A mixture that I love!! Especially here. While I classify the other Byredo scents as either too pungent or slow to unfold, this one is completely different. It's warmer and very pleasant, not an extreme candidate. Not extremely creamy, not extremely floral or fruity. All in a very pleasant measure and harmony. The fragrance unfolds relatively quickly and then stays that way. I would rather classify it as feminine.
As to durability and sillage: one of the few shortcomings. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long, rather short, which is a pity considering the great scent. Especially with the relatively high price. Another shortcoming (at least for me): the scent is quite well known by now, so you often smell it in everyday life. That takes away its uniqueness a little. But as we all know, it's hard to prevent that in the internet age:))
I would definitely recommend him despite the price. If you like to smell well-groomed and yet pleasantly striking, Bal D'Afrique is just right for you!
Mikadomann
"Recipes for Summer - Creamy Tarte au Citron"
"... prick the dough several times with a fork and bake it blind for 10 minutes.
In the meantime: Beat the eggs with the sugar until white-frothy. This may take a few minutes Add the grated lemon peel, cream and half of the juice.
Pour the lemon cream on the baked base..."

I bake a pretty good tarte au citron Like every hobby baker, I love to snack on ingredients, dough and fillings, preferably when they are not yet cooked.
When baking the Tarte au Citron, the cream that I stir to spread on the bottom of the dough is particularly tempting for me when I snack on it.
And exactly this taste, or: exactly this smell I remember when I first sprayed "Bal d'afrique".
I have at first the association of this lemon cream.
Now, of course, I have already heard about the creaminess and lemony fragrance of this perfume in other comments and statements. However, I didn't expect this strong tendency to 'taste', to the gustatory, to the gourmand.

"Variation: Tarte tropicale ...
You can also replace the lemon with a ripe mango.
Then use only half of the cream and add the appropriate amount of coconut cream..."

After only a few minutes, however, I notice that this scent is less clear than I had first suspected.
Although my impression remains on the level of taste associations, I suddenly have more of an idea of piña colada or mango-coconut cream.
This description can also be found in other comments and statements. I can understand both associations well. If I wear them frequently, I even get the impression that both fragrance descriptions fit well, complement each other, possibly alternate.

I like the exotic scent even more. In the first perception of this note I draw a parallel to the fragrance "Pacific Rock Moss", for which I wrote a statement and the surfer from this statement drinks a Piña Colada instead of beer... He still stays cool...

"During the baking time you prepare the decoration.
Mix the water with the sugar and let it simmer gently over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Take the syrup from the hot plate and one by one the white flowers through the liquid.
Let the flowers drip off on kitchen paper."

It would definitely not be correct to describe "Bal d'afrique" as a sweet scent. Nevertheless, the described creaminess remains very sweet for me during the whole time.
For me, this best describes what other forists have already described with the term "clean scent".
I do not have much experience with gourmand fragrances. However, I can say that I have not been particularly enthusiastic about alcohol notes like rum or whisky or with chocolate and coffee in perfumes so far.
So after the prelude I eagerly waited for the floral notes.
Now it may well be due to my untrained nose: I hardly smell any violets and also very little jasmine. And now I was really looking forward to the flowers!
So the scent remains for me quite limited, long linear and in the end too much ... cake-like.

"Leave the tart to cool completely before sprinkling the sugared flowers on top It looks particularly pretty if you serve the tarte in a rustic style on a wooden board."

At the very end - and this conclusion describes a skin-near perceptibility for me even after eight hours - the fragrance becomes interesting for me once again.
While it is a constant companion throughout the day, in terms of durability, and sometimes flattens more subtly in the Sillage, but then rises again, it turns surprisingly into the woody at the end.
For me it is only very quietly perceptible, but very pleasant. The scent gains warmth once again.
But for the first time this warmth is not associatively tropical - exotic, but true and 'in itself'.

For me "Bal d'afrique" is a beautiful fragrance in the best sense of the word.
It is light, creamy, clean, fruity. It is everything that is written in all comments and statements.
It makes me feel neat, clean.
I'm comfortable with that scent.
Like freshly showered.

And now I'm sitting in my white bathrobe... biting into a piece of tarte au citron
And that's the smell:
Somehow homemade according to a recipe.
Yummy!
But:
Patisserie is different.

And then there's
What has this - by all means - to do with a "Bal d'afrique"...?

And most of all:
I would like to thank the "Duften Frau" for the excellent organization of the sharing.
Elfish
My absolute favorite for spring.
Creamy citrus freshness at the start, followed by the floral, beguiling sweetness of jasmine with the effervescence of fresh, grassy vetiver with woody-resinous cedar, and finally a feel-good fragrance with amber and musk. Feels like a picnic with lemon lemonade and pastries, on a flower meadow, in the sunshine, on the edge of the forest with your family.
Unique, turbulent and beautiful!
Basti87
Well-groomed and in a good mood
I have known Bal D'Afrique by Byredo for a long time. The superstar of the Swedish brand and this one is also known by many non-niche lovers. I used to order a sample because he is highly regarded on Youtube and is also rated very high with 8.0. Rightly so.
I think I tested this fragrance with a small bottling two years ago. I liked it right away, especially with that unique DNA. After two years of thinking it over, I bought it. Only 50ml, but this brand is really expensive enough. Offers are rare and if only a little reduced. After all I got it for just over 100. You can spend it, because it really has something special about it and does not smell like one of many. In any case an enrichment for a versatile collection.

The fragrance came in a noble packaging. A big stylish box. The flacons of the brand have a classic style. Simple label, charming flacon with magnetic cap. Like so many other brands, this Swedish brand is produced in France.
The scent of this fragrance is rather difficult to describe. People who don't know this scent should definitely test it and be less influenced by scent descriptions. You can also see it in the statements: Many very different views of this fragrance. Some see it as Pina Colada, some as a clean scent. For me, it's simply a very cultivated fragrance with exotic approaches with a lot of inviduality. A fragrance that stands out from the crowd. A great mix of fruity, floral and above all fresh and creamy notes with lots of vetiver. Summery vetiver. Vetiver in large quantities is less my thing, but here it simply harmonizes with this exotic DNA. The fruit has a slight hint of pina colada, but still looks extremely suitable for everyday use. The flowery touch with violets also fits in well. But as I said: If you don't know the scent, you should test it The appearance of this fragrance is extremely well-groomed. Like a noble creamy body lotion. Therefore, this fragrance is suitable for everyday use, but can also be worn excellently in leisure time on mild to warm days. For hot days it is a little too much to demand. On mild autumn days it would still work, but I see it rather in the warmer months.
The performance is good, but not bombastic. For a fresher fragrance it is satisfactory, especially the Sillage. DIe does not overstrain, but is still very present. With a few hours also satisfying in the shelf life.
Last but not least the thing with the target group: For me it's clearly unisex, even if some people see him more on the female side. It has to match the outfit and style. Besides, this unique DNA is really hard to classify since there is nothing comparable in the way. Especially for amateurs. For elegant, well-groomed men, who do not only want to smell classic-masculine. Of course also on ladies terrific.

For me a fragrance that should at least be tested because of this unique DNA. He's earned his fame. Not quite cheap, but worth it.
Pollita
A dream of fruit, flowers, cream and vetiver
What's the saying? Things always seem to happen when you least expect them. With me, this is always the case with scents. If you know me a little bit, you know that I like it sweet and spicy. In addition, my collection also includes numerous light oriental and classic gourmands. But there are also a few fragrances that are clearly out of line. And they always reach me by chance
Just like Bal d'Afrique. First of all, I have never sniffed a Byredo that really captivated me. I may like to smell many fragrances of this brand, but that I would have seriously thought about buying - necessary!
Second, the scents. What do I want with violets? I am not a lover of flower scents if they are not real flowers in nature. Violets are purple - I like that - but that shouldn't make you feel happy either. Jasmine? I don't really like it. Too opulent, too pompous. With musk and vetiver I say yes, I like it. But also not always and not always necessarily on me.

So without thinking anything bad I spray this Byredo on and think - wow! What's that? Tenderest notes of cream cuddle on my wrist. First of all I have to think of Nivea (the classic one in the blue can). In the background it smells fruity and fresh, similar to Ineke's Chemical Bonding or Al Rayhan. My first association was Chemical Bonding but better, but where the Ineke and the Oriental put the citric permanently in the foreground, this one is no Freshie. This creamy note, presumably of musk, remains for now and is supported towards the end by a heavenly vetiver. Similar to the one I know from Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. After training I applied it and I always got a touch of Grey Vetiver when I turned my head. But no, that's not my husband who smells so wonderful. He's wearing something different today anyway. That's me! So beautiful is the *melting*

The only thing that has so far prevented me from buying it immediately is that it comes along very, very quietly. Nothing against quiet scents, I see this one also rather in summer and not now at minus temperatures, but Bal d'Afrique is not a scent that stands out. The comment of the gentleman at my side was once again "smells rather weak, but not bad" (as an explanation for all non-Baden-Württemberger, when the Swabian says "not bad" he means well, Swabians always praise automatically if they don't grumble) :)

Still, he's a pretty hot candidate for my wish list. Thanks to AdAstra72 for the sample. I would never have tried it, I would have left it out if it hadn't been in your package
Summer of Ordinaryness
The first seconds disappoint me completely: totally citric, only smell lemon and bergamot. Not pretty!
But my anger flattens out again quickly when after a short time a fruity, flowery note comes into the limelight. I smell violets clearly, jasmine less. It smells of early summer, everything is blooming, the first berries are ripe for snacking. That's much better. A friendly nice weather scent, always wearable, but I personally lack the depth.

Sillage:
Despite several sprays after a few minutes you can only smell close to your body.

Shelf life:
Could be better, I'm afraid. Even on test strips, where I can still perceive many fragrances days later, it only lasts half a day and is then barely perceptible
Disco instead of Balvergnügen
When I saw the price for 100ml, I had to swallow.
"in the normalosegment you already know you well" I thought to myself. "Now we look what the fine ladies or gentlemen, is unisex, use".
Spray once... twice... look around to see if salesgirl's looking my way. No... she's in consultation. Well, go ahead and diesel... Rapid I put the tester back and... lose myself. What a scent... Valuable, soft, yes, slightly fruity, slightly citric, slightly bitter... Coleidoscope of scents surrounds me. He's sooo... "I want it, I want it" So, now the price is ticking in my head. And I'll be right back with my brains. Let me see... I think about it and stroll on in the department store.
But with every head movement... Kaleidoscope of this fragrance, sometimes a picture, sometimes different, sweet, then bitter, then fruity citrus. So it went about 2 hours and then... Bump nothing left. Uh... i thought Bal was taking a little longer. I just found the rhythm to the fine music. No.
I'm filling up like a disco, fast dancing, hop- hop- hop- hop Bal. When Flickflack goes out and the light is suddenly on, I notice that I'm dancing alone. My companion... I mean the scent... diluted and left me alone. Waasss? I paid 180 euros for admission. For the two of us. Where are you my noble companion?
Somebody comes up to me and wants to see the ticket... i look in my pockets, nothing there. Party's over. So I am promoted out, in a rude way.
Uh... i think... that's supposed to be the distinguished Bal and still in famous Afrique? Well, I don't know...
I've seen that twice. Please, somebody believe me?
I'd be willing to save up and stop buying new clothes and bags. I wanted to go to this Bal, and with this companion, but if he was such an A.... is. No. I won't be lumpen.
But I wouldn't be disinclined if I ever met someone who looks similar...äää..smells, I mean, then I'm ready to try again. I'm dying to get a chance at Bal.

Finerthings8Finerthings8 2 months ago
Unfortunately this didn’t do for me. It has shy performance. At this price point I expected something much better.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
Well-blended scent that opens with a creamy lemon. In the drydown, the scent gets a little more floral, woody, rounded by a beautiful musk.
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Fresh, fruity, sweet and flowery. Well composed but a bit pricey for what you get.

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Lavendel18
Zum Vatertag nochmal die männliche Version meines Fotos, ist schließlich ein Unisex -Duft ;)
Yes, I love flowers :)
by Iriska
by Narcoperfume
by Narcoperfume

Popular Byredo

Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Unnamed by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Eleventh Hour (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo