Bal d'Afrique (2009) Eau de Parfum

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is fruity-floral. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Buchu, Neroli, Tagetes, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Jasmine, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vetiver, Atlas cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.05.2019

10.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Beautiful fragrance
I love this fragrance, but unlike the previous speakers, I prefer to wear it in autumn and winter. It wraps one very nicely in fruity and flowery notes. The bergamot and the cedar wood as well as the musk can still be smelled for a long time
8.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Childhood memory ♡ ♥ ♡
Bal d'Afrique reminds me - as the title already says - very strongly of my childhood.
It was summer, the sun was shining, it was hot and humid... and I was, as often, with my friends at the water to play. There it had a large meadow with lush green grass, many colorful flowers and some huge fruit trees. Our "Speilplatz was directly at the water and there it had a swing at the slope, directly over the water... You could swing and jump directly into the water :) ...and it always smelled like Bal d'Afrique...
The pictures come to my mind every time I spray on the scent ;-)

But now for the fragrance ;-)

In the opening I can recognize different citric notes: very clear lemon and bergamot, as well as neroli... But this freshness is mixed with a very pleasant sweetness --> Tagetes?
A really nice sweet-fresh citrus upbeat...

After a while something warm and flowery is added --> I can see violets fine. Jasmine, on the other hand, does not show up at my place... I can already recognize the Vetiver mentioned from the base here...

After approx. 3 hours a fine-woody undertone comes with a warm charisma --> cedar and amber...
The mentioned musk I can not really recognize, or if, then only very easily...

The scent lasts (unfortunately) only good 4 - 4.5 hours :( Sillage is rather mediocre...
But I like the smell sooo good that I like to spray hald despite the proud price ;-)

All in all simply an incredibly beautiful and delicate fragrance ♡ ♥ ♡
8.0 6.0 5.0 9.0/10

Summer Isarfibrillation
How am I supposed to describe Bal d'Afrique?

I spray it on and it's summer, felt in my mood and the sun is shining.
Works even on cold rainy bad days where everything goes wrong.

Spray on and in thoughts blow the hair in the convertible ...

Such a small emergency ration good mood is fantastic.

I don't know why it works for me, I already had the association with the cocktail Pinacolada at the very first spraying on and that the scent fits much more to summer than to winter is clear
The sun simply shines warmer, my smile widens, I obviously exude even more good mood and my whole environment is infected by it.
What do you want more...

I constantly think of the cocktail, beach, sea, slightly salty air, am drunk with joy and yet sober.

A small bottle of magic potion for a good mood.

The scent makes me happy.

Even if the comment is not typical at all, maybe it will make the other one a bit happier from now on.

Pineapple, coconut, as I said slightly salty sea breeze, that's how I feel Bal d'Afrique.
The sweet disappears very quickly, it remains a light mixture of cedar wood and the exact composition I can not figure out, it remains easy.
The shelf life amounts with me weak four hours, all the same four hours happy...
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Bal d'Afrique
This fragrance opens with a melange of citrus and floral notes. The result is a honey-sweet, juicy and bright accord which despite its sweetness is not cloying at all due to a subtle touch of smoky woods. As the fragrance progresses a sweaty facet brought on by cedar emerges. On me this aspect is rather subdued and can only be detected if I press my nose close to the skin. Throughout its development the fragrance sheds more and more of its floral notes, laying bare its herbal woodsy nature.
10.0 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Fresh and sweet!
The first time I tried Byredo's Bal d'Afrique a few years ago I thought "meh … just another EDC parading around as an EDP". Then a fascination with Neroli began and I had the opportunity of smelling it on a friend … and found it lovely!

Truthfully, this is a very expensive fragrance for what it is … in fact, the entire line is overpriced imho, but I suppose it all comes down to what one is willing to pay for. I was lucky enough to secure a 'once sprayed' bottle from a friend who was spring cleaning her collection at a very decent price. Replacing it once it is gone will be a bit of an issue :).

I was completely amazed to find that this fragrance contains buchu, which as a South African I know very well in the form of the vile concoction 'Boegoe Brandy', a sort of snake-oil-cure-all remedy used in this country for centuries. I suppose it tastes a bit like Jaegermeister … but a lot rougher. The plant smells vaguely minty and camphorous with a fresh, berry-like note. It's not indigenous to where I live in the North East occurring primarily in the West of the country, but I have had occasion to smell it in it's natural state … once I made the connection it became quite obvious that Bal d'Afrique contains a good dose! It's quite unique smelling, but this fragrance also contains a sweetened Vetiver, which I love!
Neroli essential oil is VERY strong, but it is well controlled here in concert with the other top notes. I do get quite a lot of Violet from this frag bringing a soft sweetness along with it. I'm of the mind that this is what might be taming the Vetiver and keeping it from being overly root-like.

My biggest issue with Byredo is the cost proportional to concentration. This is marketed as an EDP, but it must be at the very bottom end of the oil-to alcohol ratio, because even if the sillage here is satisfactory, longevity is an issue and overspraying to correct that proves costly. I've had quite a bit of success spraying my clothes, however, so that's one way of increasing the lifespan of Bal d'Afrique.

I recommend this fragrance to anyone who enjoys a different take on the classic EDC. Bal d'Afrique is interesting and unique … quite a joy to wear!

A note about cost:

100mls of Bal d'Afrique costs $220 from the website. I love the simplicity of the bottle, but I guess a substantial part of the price resides in the exquisite, but imho, unnecessary packaging. An outer sleeve plus an inner box with a cut out space for the bottle AND a card with the marketing blurb are irrelevant. I'd buy loads of this if it came less expensively packaged. I feel the same way about byKillian. Strangely enough, fancy packaging always makes me wonder what the product is lacking … food for thought!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A close neighbor to Hermessence Vétiver Tonka
I took an immediate liking to Byredo BAL D'AFRIQUE but was confounded as to what this perfume reminded me of. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I could not figure it out. Then I took a look at the other site and saw that five people had listed Hermessence VETIVER TONKA as a smell alike. Then it dawned on me: they were right!

How can a perfume with neither vetiver nor tonka among its listed notes smell so similar to VETIVER TONKA? That is the real mystery. Or is it? At the other site, both vetiver and violet are listed, and the violet might contribute to the sweetness in this composition. In fact, my impression is that notes are vague metaphors for what the perfumer hopes to convey the impression of in his or her creation.

Yes, BAL D'AFRIQUE smells like slightly sweet vetiver. Calm and powdery and a bit spicy. I like it. Do I like it more than VETIVER TONKA? I think that I might, but I'm working from memory, as my Hermessences vials were drained a while back. I do feel confident in asserting that anyone who likes VETIVER TONKA will like BAL D'AFRIQUE as well, and anyone who does not probably will not. The Hermessence was launched in 2004, and this one in 2009, but sweet vetiver was a good idea then and it is now, too.

KingPin 93 days ago
Fresh, fruity, sweet and flowery. Well composed but a bit pricey for what you get.+1
6.0

by Marimaroon
by SweetHonesty
by SweetHonesty

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Pulp by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Mister Marvelous (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Seven Veils by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo