Bal d'Afrique (2009)Eau de Parfum

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is fruity-floral. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Buchu, Neroli, Tagetes, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Jasmine, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vetiver, Atlas cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.02.2020.

6.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Pollita
A dream of fruit, flowers, cream and vetiver
What's the saying? Things always seem to happen when you least expect them. With me, this is always the case with scents. If you know me a little bit, you know that I like it sweet and spicy. In addition, my collection also includes numerous light oriental and classic gourmands. But there are also a few fragrances that are clearly out of line. And they always reach me by chance
Just like Bal d'Afrique. First of all, I have never sniffed a Byredo that really captivated me. I may like to smell many fragrances of this brand, but that I would have seriously thought about buying - necessary!
Second, the scents. What do I want with violets? I am not a lover of flower scents if they are not real flowers in nature. Violets are purple - I like that - but that shouldn't make you feel happy either. Jasmine? I don't really like it. Too opulent, too pompous. With musk and vetiver I say yes, I like it. But also not always and not always necessarily on me.

So without thinking anything bad I spray this Byredo on and think - wow! What's that? Tenderest notes of cream cuddle on my wrist. First of all I have to think of Nivea (the classic one in the blue can). In the background it smells fruity and fresh, similar to Ineke's Chemical Bonding or Al Rayhan. My first association was Chemical Bonding but better, but where the Ineke and the Oriental put the citric permanently in the foreground, this one is no Freshie. This creamy note, presumably of musk, remains for now and is supported towards the end by a heavenly vetiver. Similar to the one I know from Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. After training I applied it and I always got a touch of Grey Vetiver when I turned my head. But no, that's not my husband who smells so wonderful. He's wearing something different today anyway. That's me! So beautiful is the *melting*

The only thing that has so far prevented me from buying it immediately is that it comes along very, very quietly. Nothing against quiet scents, I see this one also rather in summer and not now at minus temperatures, but Bal d'Afrique is not a scent that stands out. The comment of the gentleman at my side was once again "smells rather weak, but not bad" (as an explanation for all non-Baden-Württemberger, when the Swabian says "not bad" he means well, Swabians always praise automatically if they don't grumble) :)

Still, he's a pretty hot candidate for my wish list. Thanks to AdAstra72 for the sample. I would never have tried it, I would have left it out if it hadn't been in your package
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

My every day fragrance
I have a special weakness: I love scarves and even more I love them when they smell like Bal d'Afrique. The scent is warm, sweet and
a little creamy. When the top note is gone, he has something clean. Some have compared him to candy, I would disagree. Although the fragrance is very difficult to describe, three notes emerge: violet, brown sugar and vetiver. I sprayed a friend's scarf with it and a few days later she called me to ask what the great scent was called that her scarf still smells like. Bal d'Afrique is my sweet, every day darling.
7.0 5.0 4.0 6.0/10

Summer of Ordinaryness
The first seconds disappoint me completely: totally citric, only smell lemon and bergamot. Not pretty!
But my anger flattens out again quickly when after a short time a fruity, flowery note comes into the limelight. I smell violets clearly, jasmine less. It smells of early summer, everything is blooming, the first berries are ripe for snacking. That's much better. A friendly nice weather scent, always wearable, but I personally lack the depth.

Sillage:
Despite several sprays after a few minutes you can only smell close to your body.

Shelf life:
Could be better, I'm afraid. Even on test strips, where I can still perceive many fragrances days later, it only lasts half a day and is then barely perceptible
4.0 5.0 4.0 10.0/10

Disco instead of Balvergnügen
When I saw the price for 100ml, I had to swallow.
"in the normalosegment you already know you well" I thought to myself. "Now we look what the fine ladies or gentlemen, is unisex, use".
Spray once... twice... look around to see if salesgirl's looking my way. No... she's in consultation. Well, go ahead and diesel... Rapid I put the tester back and... lose myself. What a scent... Valuable, soft, yes, slightly fruity, slightly citric, slightly bitter... Coleidoscope of scents surrounds me. He's sooo... "I want it, I want it" So, now the price is ticking in my head. And I'll be right back with my brains. Let me see... I think about it and stroll on in the department store.
But with every head movement... Kaleidoscope of this fragrance, sometimes a picture, sometimes different, sweet, then bitter, then fruity citrus. So it went about 2 hours and then... Bump nothing left. Uh... i thought Bal was taking a little longer. I just found the rhythm to the fine music. No.
I'm filling up like a disco, fast dancing, hop- hop- hop- hop Bal. When Flickflack goes out and the light is suddenly on, I notice that I'm dancing alone. My companion... I mean the scent... diluted and left me alone. Waasss? I paid 180 euros for admission. For the two of us. Where are you my noble companion?
Somebody comes up to me and wants to see the ticket... i look in my pockets, nothing there. Party's over. So I am promoted out, in a rude way.
Uh... i think... that's supposed to be the distinguished Bal and still in famous Afrique? Well, I don't know...
I've seen that twice. Please, somebody believe me?
I'd be willing to save up and stop buying new clothes and bags. I wanted to go to this Bal, and with this companion, but if he was such an A.... is. No. I won't be lumpen.
But I wouldn't be disinclined if I ever met someone who looks similar...äää..smells, I mean, then I'm ready to try again. I'm dying to get a chance at Bal.
10.0 7.0 7.0 9.5/10

Beautiful fragrance
I love this fragrance, but unlike the previous speakers, I prefer to wear it in autumn and winter. It wraps one very nicely in fruity and flowery notes. The bergamot and the cedar wood as well as the musk can still be smelled for a long time
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Childhood memory ♡ ♥ ♡
Bal d'Afrique reminds me - as the title already says - very strongly of my childhood.
It was summer, the sun was shining, it was hot and humid... and I was, as often, with my friends at the water to play. There it had a large meadow with lush green grass, many colorful flowers and some huge fruit trees. Our "Speilplatz was directly at the water and there it had a swing at the slope, directly over the water... You could swing and jump directly into the water :) ...and it always smelled like Bal d'Afrique...
The pictures come to my mind every time I spray on the scent ;-)

But now for the fragrance ;-)

In the opening I can recognize different citric notes: very clear lemon and bergamot, as well as neroli... But this freshness is mixed with a very pleasant sweetness --> Tagetes?
A really nice sweet-fresh citrus upbeat...

After a while something warm and flowery is added --> I can see violets fine. Jasmine, on the other hand, does not show up at my place... I can already recognize the Vetiver mentioned from the base here...

After approx. 3 hours a fine-woody undertone comes with a warm charisma --> cedar and amber...
The mentioned musk I can not really recognize, or if, then only very easily...

The scent lasts (unfortunately) only good 4 - 4.5 hours :( Sillage is rather mediocre...
But I like the smell sooo good that I like to spray hald despite the proud price ;-)

All in all simply an incredibly beautiful and delicate fragrance ♡ ♥ ♡
8.0 6.0 5.0 9.0/10

Summer Isarfibrillation
How am I supposed to describe Bal d'Afrique?

I spray it on and it's summer, felt in my mood and the sun is shining.
Works even on cold rainy bad days where everything goes wrong.

Spray on and in thoughts blow the hair in the convertible ...

Such a small emergency ration good mood is fantastic.

I don't know why it works for me, I already had the association with the cocktail Pinacolada at the very first spraying on and that the scent fits much more to summer than to winter is clear
The sun simply shines warmer, my smile widens, I obviously exude even more good mood and my whole environment is infected by it.
What do you want more...

I constantly think of the cocktail, beach, sea, slightly salty air, am drunk with joy and yet sober.

A small bottle of magic potion for a good mood.

The scent makes me happy.

Even if the comment is not typical at all, maybe it will make the other one a bit happier from now on.

Pineapple, coconut, as I said slightly salty sea breeze, that's how I feel Bal d'Afrique.
The sweet disappears very quickly, it remains a light mixture of cedar wood and the exact composition I can not figure out, it remains easy.
The shelf life amounts with me weak four hours, all the same four hours happy...
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Bal d'Afrique
This fragrance opens with a melange of citrus and floral notes. The result is a honey-sweet, juicy and bright accord which despite its sweetness is not cloying at all due to a subtle touch of smoky woods. As the fragrance progresses a sweaty facet brought on by cedar emerges. On me this aspect is rather subdued and can only be detected if I press my nose close to the skin. Throughout its development the fragrance sheds more and more of its floral notes, laying bare its herbal woodsy nature.
10.0 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Fresh and sweet!
The first time I tried Byredo's Bal d'Afrique a few years ago I thought "meh … just another EDC parading around as an EDP". Then a fascination with Neroli began and I had the opportunity of smelling it on a friend … and found it lovely!

Truthfully, this is a very expensive fragrance for what it is … in fact, the entire line is overpriced imho, but I suppose it all comes down to what one is willing to pay for. I was lucky enough to secure a 'once sprayed' bottle from a friend who was spring cleaning her collection at a very decent price. Replacing it once it is gone will be a bit of an issue :).

I was completely amazed to find that this fragrance contains buchu, which as a South African I know very well in the form of the vile concoction 'Boegoe Brandy', a sort of snake-oil-cure-all remedy used in this country for centuries. I suppose it tastes a bit like Jaegermeister … but a lot rougher. The plant smells vaguely minty and camphorous with a fresh, berry-like note. It's not indigenous to where I live in the North East occurring primarily in the West of the country, but I have had occasion to smell it in it's natural state … once I made the connection it became quite obvious that Bal d'Afrique contains a good dose! It's quite unique smelling, but this fragrance also contains a sweetened Vetiver, which I love!
Neroli essential oil is VERY strong, but it is well controlled here in concert with the other top notes. I do get quite a lot of Violet from this frag bringing a soft sweetness along with it. I'm of the mind that this is what might be taming the Vetiver and keeping it from being overly root-like.

My biggest issue with Byredo is the cost proportional to concentration. This is marketed as an EDP, but it must be at the very bottom end of the oil-to alcohol ratio, because even if the sillage here is satisfactory, longevity is an issue and overspraying to correct that proves costly. I've had quite a bit of success spraying my clothes, however, so that's one way of increasing the lifespan of Bal d'Afrique.

I recommend this fragrance to anyone who enjoys a different take on the classic EDC. Bal d'Afrique is interesting and unique … quite a joy to wear!

A note about cost:

100mls of Bal d'Afrique costs $220 from the website. I love the simplicity of the bottle, but I guess a substantial part of the price resides in the exquisite, but imho, unnecessary packaging. An outer sleeve plus an inner box with a cut out space for the bottle AND a card with the marketing blurb are irrelevant. I'd buy loads of this if it came less expensively packaged. I feel the same way about byKillian. Strangely enough, fancy packaging always makes me wonder what the product is lacking … food for thought!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A close neighbor to Hermessence Vétiver Tonka
I took an immediate liking to Byredo BAL D'AFRIQUE but was confounded as to what this perfume reminded me of. It was on the tip of my tongue, but I could not figure it out. Then I took a look at the other site and saw that five people had listed Hermessence VETIVER TONKA as a smell alike. Then it dawned on me: they were right!

How can a perfume with neither vetiver nor tonka among its listed notes smell so similar to VETIVER TONKA? That is the real mystery. Or is it? At the other site, both vetiver and violet are listed, and the violet might contribute to the sweetness in this composition. In fact, my impression is that notes are vague metaphors for what the perfumer hopes to convey the impression of in his or her creation.

Yes, BAL D'AFRIQUE smells like slightly sweet vetiver. Calm and powdery and a bit spicy. I like it. Do I like it more than VETIVER TONKA? I think that I might, but I'm working from memory, as my Hermessences vials were drained a while back. I do feel confident in asserting that anyone who likes VETIVER TONKA will like BAL D'AFRIQUE as well, and anyone who does not probably will not. The Hermessence was launched in 2004, and this one in 2009, but sweet vetiver was a good idea then and it is now, too.

KingPin 12 months ago
Fresh, fruity, sweet and flowery. Well composed but a bit pricey for what you get.+1
6.0

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Pralinchen
by Pralinchen
Yes, I love flowers :)
by Ancaan
Zum Vatertag nochmal die männliche Version meines Fotos, ist schließlich ein Unisex -Duft ;)
by Daneh
by SweetHonesty
by Iriska
by Iriska

Popular Byredo

Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Pulp by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mister Marvelous (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Seven Veils by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Super Cedar by Byredo