Black Saffron 2012Eau de Parfum

Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is leathery-fruity. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesHoney pomelo, Saffron, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Rose, Black violet
Base Notes Base NotesBlond woods, Raspberry, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 03.11.2020.

What Tuscan Leather should have been
The first niche fragrance I ever bought was Black Saffron.

Then, I traded it for Tuscan Leather.

Then, I sold the Tuscan Leather and bought another bottle of Black Saffron.

This is, perhaps, one of the most beautiful fragrances ever made. Soft, sweet, smooth. It isn't in-your-face loud or standoffish, and works for nearly all social occasions.

Black Saffron is a leather scent, but to define it as that alone would be doing it a disservice. The berries in this are very juicy and authentic, and they alongside the saffron compliment the leather perfectly. The floral, fruity aspect of this perfume is what makes it stand out so much. Nothing is out of place, everything is as it should be.

Is it similar to Tuscan Leather?
Undeniably.

But is it better?
In my opinion, yes it is. Everything I didn't like about Tuscan Leather is not present here. This is just a beautiful, fruity, floral leather perfume. I've learned from my mistake, and will never part with this again.

Almost...
A nice perfume, very well made, which may please many.
For me, however, Black Saffron is too sweet.
If the raspberry could be turned down a notch, I feel sure a great perfume would present itself.

Contradictory
Black Saffron lives up to its name during the first few minutes. Dark, spicy, prickly with hints of citrus and then suddenly... there's a fresh floral emerging from the smoke. Could it be juniper?? As you're trying to adapt to the unexpected turn this fragrance has taken, leather surfaces and sends juniper back from which she came. This sudden change has given Black Saffron similarities to Tuscan Leather. This is truly a fragrance of metamorphosis and each phase is undeniably exhilarating.
2.5

Raspberry Dream
A very Good Composition.
I will compare it in my review with Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford and Parfum de Marleys - Godolphin.
I tried it side by side one week with Tuscan Leather and Godolphin as they are all really close in composition!

What I can Say is that Tuscan Leather is more smokey and les raspberry while Black Saffron is less smokey and more raspberry sweet. A femininer Version of Tuscan Leather.
I dont get Leather at Byredos Scent. It is very sweet an more fresh.

Here some specs(max 4 Stars for strengh):

+Godolphin=
Smokey

Leather

creamy/ flowers/ musk

In total it last 4 to 6 hours. Less then Tom Ford and same as Godolphin I would say.
Try it yourself! I prefer Godolphin still. Will update maybe in future my experience. Memos - Italian Leather soon enters the ring! It is kinda close too.

Aftershave
It has such a strong note of vetiver, to the point where it almost smells like mint, a cooling note that smells like menthol, not lemon or green but sinus passage opener, in a medicinal or male aftershave way. Shame because I enjoy all the other unusual perfume notes.

Raspberry Cigarette Ashes: Niche Hot Couture?
Byredo BLACK SAFFRON is not at all what I was expecting. It opens sweetly, like a floriental, reminding me of something along the lines of Linari or maybe one of the new Keiko Mecheri Bespoke perfumes. After a couple of minutes a dominant ash note comes through, reminding me of Boucheron INITIAL. At one moment in the trajectory my thoughts turn to Caron LE 3eme HOMME and ELdO JASMIN ET CIGARETTE. But the sweetness then has a resurgence, and suddenly I do believe that I am in the midst of raspberry, as is listed among the notes.

The saffron is not very evident to my nose in this perfume, at least not the scent of saffron as I've come to recognize it in perfume--or in cooking. Nor do I find this perfume to be very black. It was only on my third wearing, as I reached the bottom of my generous house-produced sample vial, that I realized what BLACK SAFFRON seems to my nose closest to: Givenchy HOT COUTURE.

The raspberry-cigarette ash connection is unmistakable. The big difference is that, while sweet, BLACK SAFFRON is neither cloying nor overly synthetic smelling, and the ashes smell clean, not like a dirty ashtray. Given the manifest similarities between the two compositions, I would definitely recommend BLACK SAFFRON to anyone looking for a higher-quality perfume in the spirit of HOT COUTURE.

LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
A shapeshifter weaving back and forth between the fruity and leathery facets. A very enjoyable ride.

by Dovlicaaa
by Amber9
by Romy1050
by Romy1050

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Unnamed by Byredo Eleventh Hour (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo