Gypsy Water 2008 Eau de Parfum

Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
FrankincenseFrankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
SandalwoodSandalwood
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.10.2021.

The perfect signeture scent
This fragrance is the perfect combination of fresh and sweet, woods, incens, lemon and vanilla are the stars here. Very unique and works in all seasons and situations.
even thou it doesn't last long or project that well, the weak performence works for this fragrance thou because it makes it more appealong and intimate for the special someone.
Gypsy in the Woods
Gypsy Water is for me one of the best fragrances of Byredo, which is why I had to include it in my assortment of course!
Gypsy Water is not actually the appropriate name of this Byredos, because he has except his idea, nothing aquatisches.
I perceive him as very spicy, woody, warm & pleasant, a slight effervescence he has through its citrus notes also. In the background all the time very present, the incense note.
Gypsy Water is a great casual fragrance, absolutely unisex and perfect for the office as well as for the small weekend trip.
The only drawback, he holds really hardly, even with very many sprays on the clothes, he is already after a short time barely noticeable.
Therefore, Gypsy Water is probably rather nothing for those who long for a fantastic, room-filling sillage, but rather those of you who want to stay pleasantly in the background with their fragrance. Like a delicate well after herbs and woods smelling gust of wind in the forest, if the wind is right
Julie0608
Summery everyday fragrance with that certain something
Initially, the pepper rises slightly in my nose, which I do not like, so half a star deduction. After a very short time, however, the fragrance develops into a magical masterpiece. Lemon meets incense and vanilla and out comes a magical composition that can be worn wonderfully on any occasion. One stands out, remains in the head, but does not overwhelm his counterpart with a forcefulness. Ingenious
You changed everything
Actually, fresh notes go to my head quickly.
Actually, I generally have no preference for green fragrances.
Actually, feel-good scents are rather warm-spicy for me.
Actually.

Gypsy Water was one of the first niche scent outings for me. The scents here didn't intrigue me as much as the description. I never expected the scent to blow me away. I had much more hope in Velvet Haze or Bal D'Afrique, both of which rather disappointed me.
With Gypsy Water, it was love at second sniff. The first time I was a little startled - something so strange have never smelled before - what is it?
On the second try I digested the first irritation and lo and behold - I was enchanted.
I'm on a walk in the woods. A warm summer evening. It is already dawning in the coniferous forest. No human being far and wide meets me. The cool night air blows slowly around my nose. I arrive at a clearing where the evening sun hits me. I am barefoot and the moss beneath me still feels quite warm. From a distance, I catch the scent of delicate flowers and wood. I sit down, clutching my knees and wanting to stay here forever.

This scent embodies the epitome of woods for me, which I love so much. I think it's perfect to wear in the spring and summer. The fresh, green notes I do not find at all pungent, although I am actually very sensitive there. Over time, Gypsy Water becomes so nice and creamy and woody and blends great with the skin. He has not the most outstanding sillage & durability, but is the whole day delicately perceptible, which I find very pleasant for me and my environment ;)

I'm so glad to have met and loved this work of art and would not want to miss the fragrance. With no fragrance I could identify so much so far, even if he has completely turned my fragrance world upside down. I just love him and do not get enough of it.
A short game
The shops are closed, summer night can't go browsing, that's how we all feel at the moment. Best idea, order some samples from ALZD. But which ones? Somehow I came across Gypsy Water, the pyramid read very tempting, then so many collections and even as a signature.... "this can't be that bad". In addition to Gypsy Water landed a few other "exotics" in the shopping cart, order quickly sent!

10 days later, fragrance mail is there, full of anticipation the envelope still torn open in full gear, it almost fell out of my hands. 5 samples, all complete, perfect. Out of the Zwiebellook, into the feel-good garb, without fuss. Time for me and my passion.

Gypsy Water as the first time carefully sprayed on a paper strip, wait 1 min, .... ok, now it must be good. Hmmm, my toenails and nose hairs curl, uhhh what is this please?! Who please .... no no no. Scent strip put aside, I'd rather wait. 10 min. later this britzeln has finally quieted down, something powdery, iris-inspired, warm spreads, still fresh, a trace of the britzeln is still there. Well, let's not be like that, let's wait. So after about 1 hr. it reminds me distantly of Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels.

Today then the real test, the on the skin. Hmmm, the britzeln is back and I finds really disgusting. Schaaa(n)de, I have to go wash you off, I don't like to smell you anymore. So really a jumble, what's buzzing around in the top note. A real disappointment. Unfortunately, I can not say much more.
Lockenkopf
Oh, it's really beautiful...... or the gypsies are sitting in church at Christmas
I like scents that are feminine but with a masculine twist I am a big oaf and need the appropriate scent ;-)

Gypsi Water starts herb-green citric (juniper/ bergamot/lemon)
a creamy, dry sweetness is quickly added (iris/vanilla)
the incense can be seen
This combination of dry creaminess and fine, white incense
is really beautiful Finally, a woody note (sandalwood) is added.
H/S: restrained and skinny, but definitely long lasting.

Conclusion: the gypsies clearly wear this scent at Christmas in the church
...... and me under the Christmas tree
P.S.: My nose is sticking to my hand right now (my colleagues are looking at me strangely, because
i rapture, twisting my eyes, sniffing my hand)

Signature scent to dream
I didn't expect to fall in love with the scent at first, but whenever the creamy woody scent of my sweaters blows towards me I am blown away. Gypsy Water has been with me for several years now and I am now on my fourth bottle. Additionally I have the perfume oil and the hair perfume. Since the Sillage is not very strong you can help with it. I have nothing to complain about the durability. It lasts a whole working day even if it is very close to the end. The fragrance captures a memory for me with my family. We walk a long way in Spain through a pine and pine forest on a hot summer day until we finally reach the beach. The scent is soft, warm, creamy, woody. I smell incense and pine needles the most. My favourite scent, which I will certainly wear for a few more years. It wraps me in a warm cloud in which I feel incredibly comfortable.

Pencils and erasers
One can smell many of the listed notes in Gypsy Water right off the bat: there are sharp juniper berries mellowed down with some vanilla, plenty of pine needles and some spice to round it all off. Everything seems to blend together harmoniously and the end result is a perfectly unisex clean and aromatic scent, a light and close-to-the-skin perfume that wouldn't look out of place in a Penhaligon's or Atkinsons flacon.

However there is something inky and rubbery lingering in the background –I suspect iris is one of the culprits– and it becomes more prominent and pungent as the drydown progresses. It's a smell that somehow brings old school memories to my mind: fountain pens, erasers and permanent markers; the disconcerting sensation of sinking the nose inside a worn out pencil case.

If your classroom recollections happen to be more pleasant than mine you may get more enjoyment out of this perfume than I did.
Pure nature
"Gypsy water? What a strange name for a fragrance... what does it have to do with gypsies?" I thought to myself when I first stood in front of the Byredo shelf in a well-known Frankfurt perfumery. Of course I had to test it just out of curiosity. So I took the bottle and sprayed a few times on a test strip. Something citrusy with a good portion of pepper rose into my nose, and the juniper berry was added to it.
After a few minutes I noticed a slight trace of incense. I think incense can very quickly remind you of a church, but the incense here was sooo well dosed and set a fine accent. As the scent settled, the vanilla became noticeable. It brought a fine creaminess and rounded the whole thing off. No trace of chemistry. You could imagine the Mediterranean coast, juniper bushes, lemon trees, somewhere in the distance in a small village stands a small church, it smells like wood... A touch of vanilla ensures that the scent doesn't become too masculine. Applied on the skin it lives about 5-6 hours, around noon I always freshen up. The Sillage is rather modest, the scent sits close to the body. All in all a very nice scent, if you like "natural" scents and don't necessarily like loud scents.
Gypsy Water - Gypsy Water
A bitter and spicy sweetness. Fun-loving, happy, passionate like a dance at the campfire in the forest. I smell the sandalwood and juniper, the sweetness of vanilla and the freshness of lemons, nothing stands out, a round thing for my taste.

KingPinKingPin 2 months ago
I find this too synthetic in the beginning. After a few hours it’s really nice, but it’s a too long wait until it gets there.
ArtistscentArtistscent 7 months ago
0.5
racist name, tired of people exploiting the word 'gypsy' as an alternative for 'free-spirited', shame on Byredo
KvokaKvoka 10 months ago
Nice composition, bad longevity, no sillage at all. I wanted to like it but it's such a fogettable scent.
GreMuserGreMuser 11 months ago
2.5
Lemony-powdery smell, just NO. It reminds me of the smell of Brioschi magnesia (Italians will understand :D).
BielwenassBielwenass 12 months ago
Nice sandal + juniper + lemon composition. Pretty much everyone can use this.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
I fell in love with Gypsy Water in 3 seconds, I felt bored in 3 days. If you're hesitant to buy, it's not bad anyway, but wait a bit longer.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Juniper berries sweetened with vanilla, then pine, sandalwood and some incense in the drydown. Comforting, light and close to the skin.

Discussions about Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum)

LiliumLibido in Perfumes & Brands

by Parfuniverse
by Misianka
by Misianka

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Night Veils - Reine de Nuit by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Eleventh Hour (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo