Gypsy Water 2008Eau de Parfum

Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pepper, Juniper berry, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Pine needle, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.10.2020.

Signature scent to dream
I didn't expect to fall in love with the scent at first, but whenever the creamy woody scent of my sweaters blows towards me I am blown away. Gypsy Water has been with me for several years now and I am now on my fourth bottle. Additionally I have the perfume oil and the hair perfume. Since the Sillage is not very strong you can help with it. I have nothing to complain about the durability. It lasts a whole working day even if it is very close to the end. The fragrance captures a memory for me with my family. We walk a long way in Spain through a pine and pine forest on a hot summer day until we finally reach the beach. The scent is soft, warm, creamy, woody. I smell incense and pine needles the most. My favourite scent, which I will certainly wear for a few more years. It wraps me in a warm cloud in which I feel incredibly comfortable.

Pencils and erasers
One can smell many of the listed notes in Gypsy Water right off the bat: there are sharp juniper berries mellowed down with some vanilla, plenty of pine needles and some spice to round it all off. Everything seems to blend together harmoniously and the end result is a perfectly unisex clean and aromatic scent, a light and close-to-the-skin perfume that wouldn't look out of place in a Penhaligon's or Atkinsons flacon.

However there is something inky and rubbery lingering in the background –I suspect iris is one of the culprits– and it becomes more prominent and pungent as the drydown progresses. It's a smell that somehow brings old school memories to my mind: fountain pens, erasers and permanent markers; the disconcerting sensation of sinking the nose inside a worn out pencil case.

If your classroom recollections happen to be more pleasant than mine you may get more enjoyment out of this perfume than I did.
Pure nature
"Gypsy water? What a strange name for a fragrance... what does it have to do with gypsies?" I thought to myself when I first stood in front of the Byredo shelf in a well-known Frankfurt perfumery. Of course I had to test it just out of curiosity. So I took the bottle and sprayed a few times on a test strip. Something citrusy with a good portion of pepper rose into my nose, and the juniper berry was added to it.
After a few minutes I noticed a slight trace of incense. I think incense can very quickly remind you of a church, but the incense here was sooo well dosed and set a fine accent. As the scent settled, the vanilla became noticeable. It brought a fine creaminess and rounded the whole thing off. No trace of chemistry. You could imagine the Mediterranean coast, juniper bushes, lemon trees, somewhere in the distance in a small village stands a small church, it smells like wood... A touch of vanilla ensures that the scent doesn't become too masculine. Applied on the skin it lives about 5-6 hours, around noon I always freshen up. The Sillage is rather modest, the scent sits close to the body. All in all a very nice scent, if you like "natural" scents and don't necessarily like loud scents.
Gypsy Water - Gypsy Water
A bitter and spicy sweetness. Fun-loving, happy, passionate like a dance at the campfire in the forest. I smell the sandalwood and juniper, the sweetness of vanilla and the freshness of lemons, nothing stands out, a round thing for my taste.

Icekat
Soft sandalwood and vanilla perfect for casual day
I love casual and down-to-earth scents which convey feeling of being outdoors, but many of them are so harsh and chemical. Gypsy Water is such a beautiful exception in this category. The scent is a natural, soft and creamy combination of woods and vanilla spiked with ever-green needles and juniper berries. It has a perfect balance of being casual but not boring, linear but not simple. Gypsy Water is my jeans and sweater companion to cuddle with on cold November nights. Lovely, easy to wear and natural, I could never go wrong wearing this scent.

The lemon and bergamot opening makes me think of a windy day outdoors – refreshing and natural. Yet, right away, the warm rays of sandalwood and vanilla shine through the scent making it soft and comforting. The iris adds just a touch of powder and pine-tree and juniper berries keep the composition winter fresh. The scent has a bit of a linear quality but it does not bother me at all, as the composition is absolutely lovely. It is a soft scent, which makes it a great every day casual scent. And though it is quite light, it does lasts for hours.

Gypsy Water is not the scent that will shock you with its super complex composition or fireworks of notes. But it is a scent that I will take with me on a winter skiing trip, a walk in the park or everyday at work. It was such a pleasure to wear that I finished my sample in no time and now craving for the full bottle. Overall score is 8.5/10

Multigeneric light citrusy slightly sweet slightly woody vaguely floral scent
I was reminded of two perfumes upon donning Byredo GYPSY WATER: Giorgio Armani ACQUA DI GIOIA and Fresh BROWN SUGAR. It's less sweet than both and certainly better made than the former, which can become quite sticky, if liberally applied. These three fragrances are united by their citrusy-sugary freshness, with GYPSY WATER seeming to be made of the best quality materials--as it should be, at a price at least twice if not three times that of the other two.

GYPSY WATER definitely smells nice, no argument there. It reminds me a lot of the entire house of Fresh line-up and could almost be one of those perfumes except for the more nichesque drydown, which features some subtle greenish and floral elements, along with the lightest touch of incense.

I like GYPSY WATER, but probably not enough to acquire a bottle, especially since the longevity is not very good on my skin. I think that for now I'll stick with my house of Fresh perfumes when I'm in the mood for a multigeneric light citrusy slightly sweet slightly woody vaguely floral scent.

KimJongKimJong 9 months ago
I fell in love with Gypsy Water in 3 seconds, I felt bored in 3 days. If you're hesitant to buy, it's not bad anyway, but wait a bit longer.
ItchynoseItchynose 11 months ago
Juniper berries sweetened with vanilla, then pine, sandalwood and some incense in the drydown. Comforting, light and close to the skin.

Discussions about Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum)

LiliumLibido in Perfumes & Brands

by Cherguia
by Parfuniverse
by Parfuniverse

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Huile Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Unnamed by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo