Gypsy Water 2008 Eau de Parfum

Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pepper, Juniper berry, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Pine needle, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.05.2021.

Julie0608
Summery everyday fragrance with that certain something
Initially, the pepper rises slightly in my nose, which I do not like, so half a star deduction. After a very short time, however, the fragrance develops into a magical masterpiece. Lemon meets incense and vanilla and out comes a magical composition that can be worn wonderfully on any occasion. One stands out, remains in the head, but does not overwhelm his counterpart with a forcefulness. Ingenious
You changed everything
Actually, fresh notes go to my head quickly.
Actually, I generally have no preference for green fragrances.
Actually, feel-good scents are rather warm-spicy for me.
Actually.

Gypsy Water was one of the first niche scent outings for me. The scents here didn't intrigue me as much as the description. I never expected the scent to blow me away. I had much more hope in Velvet Haze or Bal D'Afrique, both of which rather disappointed me.
With Gypsy Water, it was love at second sniff. The first time I was a little startled - something so strange have never smelled before - what is it?
On the second try I digested the first irritation and lo and behold - I was enchanted.
I'm on a walk in the woods. A warm summer evening. It is already dawning in the coniferous forest. No human being far and wide meets me. The cool night air blows slowly around my nose. I arrive at a clearing where the evening sun hits me. I am barefoot and the moss beneath me still feels quite warm. From a distance, I catch the scent of delicate flowers and wood. I sit down, clutching my knees and wanting to stay here forever.

This scent embodies the epitome of woods for me, which I love so much. I think it's perfect to wear in the spring and summer. The fresh, green notes I do not find at all pungent, although I am actually very sensitive there. Over time, Gypsy Water becomes so nice and creamy and woody and blends great with the skin. He has not the most outstanding sillage & durability, but is the whole day delicately perceptible, which I find very pleasant for me and my environment ;)

I'm so glad to have met and loved this work of art and would not want to miss the fragrance. With no fragrance I could identify so much so far, even if he has completely turned my fragrance world upside down. I just love him and do not get enough of it.
A short game
The shops are closed, summer night can't go browsing, that's how we all feel at the moment. Best idea, order some samples from ALZD. But which ones? Somehow I came across Gypsy Water, the pyramid read very tempting, then so many collections and even as a signature.... "this can't be that bad". In addition to Gypsy Water landed a few other "exotics" in the shopping cart, order quickly sent!

10 days later, fragrance mail is there, full of anticipation the envelope still torn open in full gear, it almost fell out of my hands. 5 samples, all complete, perfect. Out of the Zwiebellook, into the feel-good garb, without fuss. Time for me and my passion.

Gypsy Water as the first time carefully sprayed on a paper strip, wait 1 min, .... ok, now it must be good. Hmmm, my toenails and nose hairs curl, uhhh what is this please?! Who please .... no no no. Scent strip put aside, I'd rather wait. 10 min. later this britzeln has finally quieted down, something powdery, iris-inspired, warm spreads, still fresh, a trace of the britzeln is still there. Well, let's not be like that, let's wait. So after about 1 hr. it reminds me distantly of Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels.

Today then the real test, the on the skin. Hmmm, the britzeln is back and I finds really disgusting. Schaaa(n)de, I have to go wash you off, I don't like to smell you anymore. So really a jumble, what's buzzing around in the top note. A real disappointment. Unfortunately, I can not say much more.
Lockenkopf
Oh, it's really beautiful...... or the gypsies are sitting in church at Christmas
I like scents that are feminine but with a masculine twist I am a big oaf and need the appropriate scent ;-)

Gypsi Water starts herb-green citric (juniper/ bergamot/lemon)
a creamy, dry sweetness is quickly added (iris/vanilla)
the incense can be seen
This combination of dry creaminess and fine, white incense
is really beautiful Finally, a woody note (sandalwood) is added.
H/S: restrained and skinny, but definitely long lasting.

Conclusion: the gypsies clearly wear this scent at Christmas in the church
...... and me under the Christmas tree
P.S.: My nose is sticking to my hand right now (my colleagues are looking at me strangely, because
i rapture, twisting my eyes, sniffing my hand)

Signature scent to dream
I didn't expect to fall in love with the scent at first, but whenever the creamy woody scent of my sweaters blows towards me I am blown away. Gypsy Water has been with me for several years now and I am now on my fourth bottle. Additionally I have the perfume oil and the hair perfume. Since the Sillage is not very strong you can help with it. I have nothing to complain about the durability. It lasts a whole working day even if it is very close to the end. The fragrance captures a memory for me with my family. We walk a long way in Spain through a pine and pine forest on a hot summer day until we finally reach the beach. The scent is soft, warm, creamy, woody. I smell incense and pine needles the most. My favourite scent, which I will certainly wear for a few more years. It wraps me in a warm cloud in which I feel incredibly comfortable.

Pencils and erasers
One can smell many of the listed notes in Gypsy Water right off the bat: there are sharp juniper berries mellowed down with some vanilla, plenty of pine needles and some spice to round it all off. Everything seems to blend together harmoniously and the end result is a perfectly unisex clean and aromatic scent, a light and close-to-the-skin perfume that wouldn't look out of place in a Penhaligon's or Atkinsons flacon.

However there is something inky and rubbery lingering in the background –I suspect iris is one of the culprits– and it becomes more prominent and pungent as the drydown progresses. It's a smell that somehow brings old school memories to my mind: fountain pens, erasers and permanent markers; the disconcerting sensation of sinking the nose inside a worn out pencil case.

If your classroom recollections happen to be more pleasant than mine you may get more enjoyment out of this perfume than I did.
Pure nature
"Gypsy water? What a strange name for a fragrance... what does it have to do with gypsies?" I thought to myself when I first stood in front of the Byredo shelf in a well-known Frankfurt perfumery. Of course I had to test it just out of curiosity. So I took the bottle and sprayed a few times on a test strip. Something citrusy with a good portion of pepper rose into my nose, and the juniper berry was added to it.
After a few minutes I noticed a slight trace of incense. I think incense can very quickly remind you of a church, but the incense here was sooo well dosed and set a fine accent. As the scent settled, the vanilla became noticeable. It brought a fine creaminess and rounded the whole thing off. No trace of chemistry. You could imagine the Mediterranean coast, juniper bushes, lemon trees, somewhere in the distance in a small village stands a small church, it smells like wood... A touch of vanilla ensures that the scent doesn't become too masculine. Applied on the skin it lives about 5-6 hours, around noon I always freshen up. The Sillage is rather modest, the scent sits close to the body. All in all a very nice scent, if you like "natural" scents and don't necessarily like loud scents.
Gypsy Water - Gypsy Water
A bitter and spicy sweetness. Fun-loving, happy, passionate like a dance at the campfire in the forest. I smell the sandalwood and juniper, the sweetness of vanilla and the freshness of lemons, nothing stands out, a round thing for my taste.

Icekat
Soft sandalwood and vanilla perfect for casual day
I love casual and down-to-earth scents which convey feeling of being outdoors, but many of them are so harsh and chemical. Gypsy Water is such a beautiful exception in this category. The scent is a natural, soft and creamy combination of woods and vanilla spiked with ever-green needles and juniper berries. It has a perfect balance of being casual but not boring, linear but not simple. Gypsy Water is my jeans and sweater companion to cuddle with on cold November nights. Lovely, easy to wear and natural, I could never go wrong wearing this scent.

The lemon and bergamot opening makes me think of a windy day outdoors – refreshing and natural. Yet, right away, the warm rays of sandalwood and vanilla shine through the scent making it soft and comforting. The iris adds just a touch of powder and pine-tree and juniper berries keep the composition winter fresh. The scent has a bit of a linear quality but it does not bother me at all, as the composition is absolutely lovely. It is a soft scent, which makes it a great every day casual scent. And though it is quite light, it does lasts for hours.

Gypsy Water is not the scent that will shock you with its super complex composition or fireworks of notes. But it is a scent that I will take with me on a winter skiing trip, a walk in the park or everyday at work. It was such a pleasure to wear that I finished my sample in no time and now craving for the full bottle. Overall score is 8.5/10

Multigeneric light citrusy slightly sweet slightly woody vaguely floral scent
I was reminded of two perfumes upon donning Byredo GYPSY WATER: Giorgio Armani ACQUA DI GIOIA and Fresh BROWN SUGAR. It's less sweet than both and certainly better made than the former, which can become quite sticky, if liberally applied. These three fragrances are united by their citrusy-sugary freshness, with GYPSY WATER seeming to be made of the best quality materials--as it should be, at a price at least twice if not three times that of the other two.

GYPSY WATER definitely smells nice, no argument there. It reminds me a lot of the entire house of Fresh line-up and could almost be one of those perfumes except for the more nichesque drydown, which features some subtle greenish and floral elements, along with the lightest touch of incense.

I like GYPSY WATER, but probably not enough to acquire a bottle, especially since the longevity is not very good on my skin. I think that for now I'll stick with my house of Fresh perfumes when I'm in the mood for a multigeneric light citrusy slightly sweet slightly woody vaguely floral scent.

ArtistscentArtistscent 2 months ago
racist name, tired of people exploiting the word 'gypsy' as an alternative for 'free-spirited', shame on Byredo
KvokaKvoka 5 months ago
Nice composition, bad longevity, no sillage at all. I wanted to like it but it's such a fogettable scent.
GreMuserGreMuser 6 months ago
2.5
Lemony-powdery smell, just NO. It reminds me of the smell of Brioschi magnesia (Italians will understand :D).
BielwenassBielwenass 6 months ago
Nice sandal + juniper + lemon composition. Pretty much everyone can use this.
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
I fell in love with Gypsy Water in 3 seconds, I felt bored in 3 days. If you're hesitant to buy, it's not bad anyway, but wait a bit longer.
ItchynoseItchynose 1 year ago
Juniper berries sweetened with vanilla, then pine, sandalwood and some incense in the drydown. Comforting, light and close to the skin.

Discussions about Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum)

LiliumLibido in Perfumes & Brands

by Parfuniverse
by Misianka
by Misianka

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Night Veils - Casablanca Lily by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Slow Dance by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Night Veils - Reine de Nuit by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Super Cedar by Byredo