Rose Noir (2008) Eau de Parfum

Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo

Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Freesia, Grapefruit, Red berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamask rose, Lily-of-the-valley, Raspberry, Violet, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesMoss, Musk, Patchouli, Cistus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.04.2019

8.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Leimbacher
Soap opera at the frog pond
"Rose Noir is rosy but not gloomy. At least not by my definition of dark, black, dreary. Because here Byredo has delivered a soapy, watery and almost transparent rose scent, which I can't imagine on a gothie, Sam Spade or Veronica Lake...

Freesia (brightened by a tangy grapefruit) plays the leading role for a long time until it turns into a rose, flanked by patchouli and moss. Her bodyguards, so to speak. "Rose Noir" is a fine women's fragrance that can be applied every day, from the office to the gym. You can't do anything wrong with it, you can't be evil to him and his creators even less. He's not gonna hit me with a real stool, though. He's too safe and clean for that. I don't like those soft, pink "pond scents" very much. At least on my skin. In a woman, the probability of liking is then a whole lot higher. But they can also lure me more with other fragrances. I had simply expected a more potent, courageous rose, with strong contrasts and some eroticism. There's none of that in the air here. Rather this rose looks hesitant and cool. Expectation and name make a difference after all... But it is of high quality, almost perfectly made and welded. Byredo has high quality standards due to the bank. I praise myself for that and never let the brand appear arbitrary or cheap or greedy. Despite quite high output.

Flacon: the Byredos are doing something, no question about it. The elegant magnetic cap especially.
Sillage: daily, unobtrusive and finely wearable
Shelf life: 6 hours, unless you plump into the pond

Conclusion: a rose between heaven and (little) hell, (little) dirt and soap, purity and (little) wickedness - very soapy and very wearable for stylish women. Safe bet.
6.0 6.0 5.0 8.5/10

Puderduft18
The joy of the great fragrance does not last long!
The scent of roses is always an issue for me. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Initially only in combinations like rose jasmine, rose vanilla, rose amber, later on the rose oud boom. Recently a sample of "Rose Noir" came into my hands and I was extremely curious what combination I would expect.

The start was different than I had expected. Tingly bitter grapefruit with berry notes form the top note. Spicy and yes, even slightly bitter, the fragrance starts, with whose name I would have actually associated some magic.
However, this start is only short-lived. For a few minutes, I won't sniff anything on my wrist. Magic! There it is. ;-))

While I'm still thinking about what's wrong with the perfume, the rose suddenly appears out of nowhere. Deep dark, unsweet and spicy. In my mind's eye a blood-red rosebush appears, surrounded by old trees on a wall. A musty-earthy note accompanies the aromatic rose scent, followed shortly afterwards by mossy notes. While I am still fascinated about this great development and the beautiful combination of Rose-Moos, the whole magic is already gone.
The durability is unfortunately bad with a maximum of 3-4 hours. I'd put the Sillage in midfield.

Great fragrance when the top note is over, but due to its short shelf life it is not a purchase candidate for me.
8.0/10

Another Patchouli Rose--and a good one
To my nose, Byredo ROSE NOIR packs a powerful punch of patchouli. It's really unmistakeable, and I am confused by the omission of this note from the official list offered above and at the house's website. If this isn't patchouli, then I must not know what patchouli is! Do cistus and moss combine to form a patchouli-like scent?

Well, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that this "patchouli"-rose perfume smells beautiful. I'd rank it right up there with Heeley HIPPIE ROSE, although the rose is far less dominant here. That just makes this composition more unisex and probably wearable also by men. I'd have to do a side-by-side test in order to be able to decide between all of the high-quality, natural-smelling, niche patchouli rose perfumes currently available, including Frédéric Malle PORTRAIT OF A LADY and Juliette Has a Gun VENGEANCE EXTREME, but this one is definitely in the running.

I myself do not find this perfume very dirty, as it has been marketed. To me this composition presents a clean darkness. ROSE NOIR does not smell animalic to me in the least. Maybe a bit like the soil clinging to the roots of a patchouli plant, but not a touch of skank is present here, according to my nose. ROSE NOIR is earthy in the way that L'Artisan Parfumeur VOLEUR DE ROSES is earthy, and I do think that this would make a fine choice for guys as well as gals.

ROSE NOIR is my favorite of the creations of the house of Byredo which I've tested so far... Excellent longevity, too, and it actually becomes stronger over the course of the day. I'd call this one parfum/extrait strength, given its projection and heft.

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Pulp by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mister Marvelous (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Seven Veils by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo