Rose Noir (2008)Eau de Parfum

Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo
Compare Prices
Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is flowery-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Freesia, Grapefruit, Red berries
Heart Notes Heart NotesDamascus rose, Lily-of-the-valley, Raspberry, Violet, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesMoss, Musk, Patchouli, Cistus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.06.2017

Scent 8.0/10
Another Patchouli Rose--and a good one
To my nose, Byredo ROSE NOIR packs a powerful punch of patchouli. It's really unmistakeable, and I am confused by the omission of this note from the official list offered above and at the house's website. If this isn't patchouli, then I must not know what patchouli is! Do cistus and moss combine to form a patchouli-like scent?

Well, it doesn't really matter. What matters is that this "patchouli"-rose perfume smells beautiful. I'd rank it right up there with Heeley HIPPIE ROSE, although the rose is far less dominant here. That just makes this composition more unisex and probably wearable also by men. I'd have to do a side-by-side test in order to be able to decide between all of the high-quality, natural-smelling, niche patchouli rose perfumes currently available, including Frédéric Malle PORTRAIT OF A LADY and Juliette Has a Gun VENGEANCE EXTREME, but this one is definitely in the running.

I myself do not find this perfume very dirty, as it has been marketed. To me this composition presents a clean darkness. ROSE NOIR does not smell animalic to me in the least. Maybe a bit like the soil clinging to the roots of a patchouli plant, but not a touch of skank is present here, according to my nose. ROSE NOIR is earthy in the way that L'Artisan Parfumeur VOLEUR DE ROSES is earthy, and I do think that this would make a fine choice for guys as well as gals.

ROSE NOIR is my favorite of the creations of the house of Byredo which I've tested so far... Excellent longevity, too, and it actually becomes stronger over the course of the day. I'd call this one parfum/extrait strength, given its projection and heft.

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Pulp by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Seven Veils by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo Mister Marvelous (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Green by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Bullion (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land by Byredo