Velvet Haze (2017)

Velvet Haze by Byredo

Velvet Haze is a perfume by Byredo for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is creamy-sweet. It is being marketed by Manzanita Capital.

Top Notes Top NotesAmbrette, Coconut water
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesCocoa absolute, Musk

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 02.10.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Leimbacher
Too much musk in the lungs for too few trumpets
A coconut water? Or quite clearly a musk magnet? A female patchouli pirate at all? What's "Velvet Haze" now???

A little of everything. "Velvet Haze" is a hypermodern hippie. The colour purple is spreading in my head, of course it is velvety too. The great art of dying. A circular saw made of hugs. A cocoa finish cuddles just like the creamy patchouli in combination with fluffy human musk. And above everything vibrates light, summery coconut water. Although the fragrance fits rather into the two darker seasons. Fascinating and fine. Fine through and through. Oldschool all-rounder in a new guise. Or without a robe. Old wine from new bottles. Or directly from the source.

Flacon: couldn't you have built in some purple accents here?!
Sillage: solid, gentle, on Zack
Shelf life: 7 hours sensual coconut veil or patchouliprosa

Conclusion: purple shimmering coconut water for festivals and other caresses - elegant, sensual, cosmopolitan. Cool fragrance, especially for patchoulians.
6.0 6.0 7.0 6.0/10

DonJuanDeCat
Crack coconuts in the musk mist!
Hello and good evening, once again :D
Hmm, hmm... what am I imagining today? You probably don't even want to read? I'd also rather be at the Christmas market, for example, rather than being here with you, who only have to complain about my commissioners anyway, tsss... ups... did I just think that out loud? :DD

But no, fortunately only a few (at least I hope so :D) complain, and I actually like you too, I hope you know that, don't you? Pooh, lucky again :D

Anyway, today I'm describing Velvet Haze by Byredo. Translated, the name means "soft fog." And now I have to think about how I came from Munich last week and how the motorway was sometimes covered with an ellen-long veil of fog in the evening. And yes, the fog actually looked soft and soft, and by its density it had even reminded a little bit of cotton candy, although I wouldn't recommend to walk or drive through cotton candy,... all that sticky stuff you never get rid of again :D

On the other hand, I also noticed that even a so-called "velvet fog" can look quite scary when you see how threatening headlights slowly emerge from the fog and the contours of the other car are hardly visible. It'll be almost like a horror movie! :D
But well, let's stay with "Velvet Nebula", and I hope that the scent also smells soft instead of scary!

The fragrance:
The scent begins with... coconut? In fact, I smell quite intense coconut with earthy patchouli, whose combination in the background also smells a little flowery. The amber quickly gives the coconut a sweet note and also soothes the coconut.
Just a little later the cocoa starts to take effect, well, let's say cocoa powder. You know, this chocolaty and slightly bitter scent when you open the cocoa pack and sniff in :) That's quite nice, but I think a little later all the sweet smelling scents mix a bit too much into each other, so you can smell cocoa, amber and musk. The patchouli becomes slightly stronger, the coconut slightly weaker.
The fragrance seems to pass quickly into the base, as the musk quickly becomes more intense and basically becomes the main fragrance. Every now and then the coconut seems to flash from the beginning and gives the fragrance a light, stuffy note every now and then, especially if this fragrance also reminds of floral notes, but as already said one smells the musk in the base for the most part.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is above average, so that now and then one can perceive the smell well in the smell cloud. And of course others can smell the scent on you too. However, the intensity quickly diminishes over time, so that you have to get closer later to be able to smell it on others. The shelf life is good, the fragrance already lasts for eight hours, which is quite okay.

The bottle:
The bottle is cylindrical and quite simple. On the front you can see a large white label with the name of the fragrance, and the label also looks extremely simple. Purists like such simple flacons and labels for sure, but for me the label looks rather fast created in Word :D
The lid is already more beautiful there, it is black and shiny and represents almost a hemisphere, well, with a slightly too long underside. As I said, it's a simple bottle.

So, the scent here, I see, has gotten rather mediocre ratings. Yeah... the smell isn't that great, actually. You can like the beginning with the coconut notes and patchouli or not, but later it smells mostly like musk, then it is softer and slightly more powdery, which is also nice. But... again later he gets a little stuffier by the coconut, which later smells more like flowery scents. Well, the scent smells so la la, then also good, then less good, that seems to go back and forth a little bit, until the later base remains a little stuffy and generally doesn't smell so special. I wouldn't recommend it now, not even to coconut fans, it doesn't smell good enough and is too expensive for the quality of the fragrance.

Anyway, in my opinion, it is a spring and autumn scent and is more suitable for use in leisure time during irrelevant activities, since it is not suitable for going out or does not smell good enough for it, despite the sometimes nice scented musk cloud.

Well, from its name, "Velvet Nebula", it fits a little, since it also radiates soft notes. But it could just as well be called velvet paw, because its softness especially in the heart note (where the coconut doesn't smell stuffy yet) is a little bit comparable to the soft fur of a feline roommate, even if cats sometimes don't always look as velvet pawed as you might imagine. If my (fat) cat jumps down from the closet onto my bed, for example, then you get the feeling that the bed is broken, and the whole house is broken! After all, about 7 kilos fall down from a height of 2 meters :D

Well, that's it again from me, I wish you a nice evening! And I'll see myself if I can find some fancy Christmas balls on the internet, because I'm in the process of decorating the tree so slowly... :DD
10.0 7.0 6.0 10.0/10

Milky creamy patchouli
I liked this perfume the instant I smelled it , it's warm, inviting and natural in a way like a skin scent. I smell a lot of musk and patchoui but in a very muted ,velvety , hazy, creamy way , as the name suggests. It might be somewhat odd for some in the first 5 minutes but then warms up into a sweet creamy haze. Let coconut not worry you if you don't like it. I would say it's more milky , like the sweet smell of real coconut milk ,not like the strong odor of simulated coconut suntan products .
I am in love with this perfume and will definitely re purchase when I get lower. One of Byredos best !
6.0 5.0 8.0 5.5/10

Hot milk and For Her musk
I didn't get much typical coconut in Byredo Velvet Haze, at least not anything cloyingly plastic like some coconut-flavoured products can be. Instead, it's creamy, warmly sweet, slightly honeyed and animalic, evoking a bowl of hot milk to me during the first 20 minutes.

Then, something vaguely inky and metallic, yet still somewhat velvety, starts to infuse the hot milk and cools it down. It felt familiar, but I wasn't able to name it until 1 hour later, when it firmly dominates and the sweet milk becomes merely a facet of it: a clean, vegetal white musk, halfway between the musty one in Byredo Blanche and the brighter, more floral one in Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT. The main difference being the addition of the sweet milkiness, Velvet Haze feels kind of like a semi-gourmand variation on the clean white musk theme.

From then on, Velvet Haze doesn't change much anymore. Sometimes, I can smell a bit of coconut milk within the mix, but it's mostly just abstract velvety milky sweetness among the inky white musk. I don't detect any distinct bitterness of cacao or patchouli on my skin, although the spikiness of the later was detectable during the middle phase on the paper.

I get a medium sillage during the first 3 hours, and it stays close to the skin for another 6 hours.

Without digging into any musical or cultural background, the name itself actually summarizes well how Velvet Haze smells to me: a velvety, hazy white cloud of clean inky musk with a subtle creamy sweetness, which fits well into the abstract, modern artificial style of Byredo fragrances that I tried so far. I would recommend it to those who enjoy clean, abstract fragrances, especially to those who'd like a warmer, more creamy version of Byredo Blanche or Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT.

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Entenradio
by Entenradio

Popular Byredo

Bal d'Afrique (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Gypsy Water (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Pulp by Byredo Black Saffron (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Baudelaire by Byredo Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo La Tulipe (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Oud Immortel (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo 1996 - Inez & Vinoodh by Byredo Mojave Ghost (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Rose of No Man's Land (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Accord Oud by Byredo Rose Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Mister Marvelous (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Inflorescence by Byredo Bibliothèque (Eau de Parfum) by Byredo Seven Veils by Byredo Velvet Haze by Byredo Encens Chembur by Byredo