Anaïs Anaïs (1978)

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel
Bottle Design Annegret Beier

Anaïs Anaïs is a perfume by Cacharel for women and was released in 1978. The scent is floral-powdery. It was last marketed by L'Oréal.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Galbanum, Hyacinth, Lavender, Lily, Blackcurrant, Lemon, Citrus fruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Honeysuckle, Iris, Orris root, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.07.2020.

With Anaïs Anaïs, Cacharel heralded the start of the era of white flower scents in the late 1970s. The floral chypre is one of the most prominent and most-sold scents today.

Oh, God...
...that smell still exists?!

I had my day off yesterday, had to do various things and after work I thought to myself "come, go for a little stroll". I passed a Douglas and remembered that I wanted to sniff some perfumes that I might like.
In the early 80's I had a considerable collection of perfumes...somehow a hobby of mine, more unconsciously than consciously. Then came the 90's and I met my soon-to-be ex-husband and somehow the world of fragrances faded into the background...I became a mommy and had other worries and only one fragrance for pretty much every occasion. Excuse me...I digress from the topic...long story short...my love for scents is inflamed again and I am trying to put together a suitable "wardrobe" for me...for every occasion a perfume...wonderfully decandent...

So I put the mask on and went in...at the same moment I thought "what a stupid idea, how will you smell something with this sh
part in front of your nose...no matter...challenge accepted...
As I was snapping through the shelves, I saw this bottle!! Oh my God!!! This scent is still on sale?! And still bought? I approached the shelf and yes...there was no doubt...there she was...standing next to her rebellious sister "LOULOU" in this distinctive bottle in turquoise/Beaurdaux. On my forehead I feel small beads of sweat...and mentally I catapult myself into the early 90s.
There I stood, mostly tired (like all apprentices) at the bus stop and waited for the train...Spaaaaß...for the bus of course. One day I got in, it was a rainy and cool day...and immediately noticed this scent...this disgusting, sweet, flowery, clinging to everything...that robs you of your senses (not in a positive sense) and throws you on the floor with a hard left hand. This was my first encounter with AnaisAnais...and it was not a good one Nevertheless, I rode this bus bravely, day in, day out...until summer came...and believe me when I tell you that this smell didn't get any better in a heated, musty bus. On the contrary...when the bus came around the corner I could smell it and I was reluctant to get on it, I had to suppress my gag reflex every time. At some point I had the glorious idea to take a bus later, because I just couldn't stand it anymore, so disgusting I found this smell
There she stood... innocently white, with the floral print... should I discreetly push her off the shelf?! No, better not...the thought that the scent would spread through the Douglas like Covid19 saved me from this stupidity. I stared at the bottle for an eternity, felt it, and smiled. Yeah...I actually smiled into my mask...why? I can't say exactly...maybe because I realized that memories, no matter if they are nice or bad, are still precious...
Please an Aspirin
Unfortunately Anaïs Anaïs smells for me from front to back like the bouquets of flowers, which one quickly dumps into an unused adjoining room. Stunning, dangerous for headaches. If it's in the air, you can't cook, you can't think, you can't sleep. I suppose it's the lily that penetrates the ether unchecked. Other notes or subtleties are unfortunately lost for me
Forever young
Anais Anais was the signature scent of my girlfriend and therefore I never wore it back in the 80s. That would have been about as if I had made her a guy abspenstig and both was absolutely taboo for me. At that time we were on the road together almost every weekend, making the discos and dance halls in the area unsafe. The permed hair was additionally puffed up and concreted with hair spray, make-up was not saved (why also), quite the opposite and our outfits were partly more than adventurous. Some of these creations we have sewn ourselves and so styled today would not even dare to carnival one or the other from the house. It was all different in the '80s. There was no "too much" at all - it was loud, shrill, colorful and it could be a bit "more" of everything.

I always remembered Anais Anais as a little girlish and innocent, but that's absolutely not true, as I found when testing my vintage sweetheart. For my sensation AA radiates a subliminal, lascivious eroticism and this also reflects exactly my girlfriend - an innocent-looking child woman, who had it faustdick behind the ears, a real Lolita.

AA starts with citric notes and is followed by a grandiose floral firework. I can smell hyacinths, lilies of the valley and jasmine. The tuberose holds itself back very elegantly and proves to be an excellent team player in this composition. I can still sniff out a little spicy carnation and powdery iris, but that was it. This wealth of blossoms overtaxes my nose after all.

After about 2 to 2.5 hours moss, wood, musk and patchouli join the flowers and AA gains more and more depth. The bouquet of flowers recedes, but still remains present in the background. The shelf life of about 8 hours is completely in order and I also have nothing to complain about the silage.

The new, reformulated version of AA, which also complains about L'Orginal, has nothing in common with the vintage version. The original version is so opulent that the flowers almost clap around your ears. The innocent white-flowered herons sweep out their unbridled, wild side and exude pure eroticism, albeit in an innocent way, very subliminal and softly drawn, like David Hamilton's pictures. The new AA is a banal, lame, lukewarm little water that doesn't lure a dog out behind the stove.

The 80's are long since history and the wild party lioness I was at that time doesn't exist anymore for a long time, but I like to think back to that time. We were so young, so carefree, everything seemed possible. Many dreams have fallen by the wayside, life and responsibility for the family etc. have paid their tribute .... but we stay, just like Anais Anais, "Forever young", at least in the heart.
Lily girlish
There are perfumes that you simply know without ever having tried them. One of them is for me Anais Anais of Cacharel. My mother received it in my early youth as a guest gift from an American-Philippine exchange student. Of course, I soon had to hold my curious nose up to the white frosted glass bottle. My scent was bright and light like the bottle: white flowers, spring-like on a green base. On special occasions I was also allowed to wear a touch of Anais Anais. With the delicate but long-lasting scent of white lily, hyacinth and lily of the valley, I felt irresistible right away. Anais Anais was for me simply "the most beautiful fragrance in the world".

Immersed in my girlish dreams, it was to take a few more years before I could call Anais Anais my own. At the age of 17, after four weeks in an international youth camp in Trois-Rivières (near Quebec in Canada), I bought Anais Anais in the duty free shop at Montreal Airport on my way back home. Actually, I was suffering from a broken heart at that time, as I had fallen "immortally" in love with an Italian with an extremely Roman profile. Anais Anais successfully relieved the pain. I still remember that the scent immediately earned me a compliment at the airport. Pierre Brice.....well, not quite, so an older gentleman (probably he was just 30 *laughs*) addressed me in French and said how wonderfully this scent suited me.
The prelude of Anais Anais is mainly determined by white flowers. White lily, hyacinth and lily of the valley dance a powdery, airy dance. Soft and tender carnation, orange blossom and rose join in, accompanied by a touch of tuberose. Green accents of oak moss and honeysuckle lend a delicate, tangy freshness - a good counterbalance to the floral elements that could otherwise slip into the pompous.
Durability and depth give light sandalwood, ylang ylang and amber - or patchouli? - in the base, which my nose, however, perceives only very reservedly as warm and woody. All in all, Anais Anais remains springlike throughout, a classic chypre scent whose green, tart notes always resonate.

On my skin, the fragrance lasts for 8 hours, with the floral accents always present. At the beginning the flowers whirl around fresh and quite lively, the lily is especially present for my nose. Little by little the dance ebbs away and combines to a bright bouquet, which is gently underlined by carnation and hyacinth.

One thing Anais Anais is not: elegant. But compared to an elegant lily scent like Cartier's meringue Volé, for example, it is so charming that it makes all the critics smile away.

Anaïlator...
There's this girl.
She's in her early twenties.
She dresses in white frocks and flowery shawls, and she always lowers her eyes when addressed.
She looks so innocent and fragile, that all you wanna do is treat her like a goddess, and put her on a pedestal and as far from harm's way as possible.
OK, and have sex with her at some point, but only in the most romantic way.
So you are flirting her persistently and you are absolutely enthralled by her cute, shy reactions and her adorable blushing.
But when you finally get her to bed, ready to be as poetic a lover as possible, you're in for the surprise of your life.
Cause this beauty may have never be with a man before, but she has secretly read every dirty book imagined.
Again... And again... And Again...
And she has conned all explicit details in them.
And she's more than eager to test every single one of them in vivo.
And you were lucky(?) enough to cross her path.
Cause she was looking for a guinea pig.
And that's exactly what you shall be.
Again... And again... And again...
Morning will find you either unconscious or begging for mercy...
You'll find none.
Guinea pigs are expendable after all.
You'll never look at innocence the same way again, given that you'll survive her.
Be careful of Anaïs Anaïs...
Be extra careful of girls wearing it...
They're most likely tigers in flimsy cages.
You're most likely their unsuspecting prey...

After the show
Anais Anais! Sweet name, repeated twice as if to make us remember you.
Anais Anais! White and delicate like a balerina, waving her arms like the wings of a swan. You are pure in your sparkling white tutu and you spin and fly lightly in the air, and mesmerize me with the swift motion and the glittery lids and perfect make up for the stage. Are you the White Swan or maybe the Saint-Saens ' swan ? The short moments when you dance up there, you seem brighter than the limelights and then, still dreaming of you, I wait outside the theatre to see you exiting. And my wait is rewarded by an unrecognizable silouette, pale and thin, with no glitter and sparkle, trying to find her way through the rainy night. Was it your swan song, Anais Anais , or has it just been my imagination?

This perfume-in the Eau de Parfum version- was one of my favorites in the early 1980. The new release in 2005, is so different , so lifeless that it took me a long time to find the right words to describe it.

A Prissy, Pretty and Puritanical Floral
This is a dry floral with full on hyacinth, lavender and lily notes. Puritanical and widely accepted as the perfect scent for high senior Prom Queens and popular girls. That is, unfortunately due to the overwhelming popularity during the late 80s of this scent. In my Prep school girls were generally adhering to one of 4 female archetypes- the jolly mother hen, the punk rocker/rebel/outcast misfits, The wanton fair young virgin and the athletic/tough chicks- this fragrance seemed very popular with both the mother hen and the wanton fair young virgin crowds. I fell in another group, I'll leave that for another time, my signature scents were Chanel No. 5, Fendi and Gucci No.3. Back to my main point, this fragrance is still a classic daytime floral, long lasting and unforgettable. Though I can't stand it on my on skin, I can readily recognize it on others and it is not an unpleasant crisp floral scent at all. Perhaps, it is just my personally memories and associations which have biased me, but I can't help but recall harsh early morning History Lectures, chronic Strep throat and lousy institutional oatmeal and toast breakfasts followed by the appearance of freshly Preppy "day commuter students" filled with privilege and what I imagined to be joyful parents whipping up flying magical blueberry pancakes...o.k. turns out none of that was real. But still Anaïs Anaïs comes across as cold, crisp Hyacinth and lily scent with a loud cheerleader center of jasmine, honeysuckle and Rose. Finished with a stoic oakmoss, vetiver and cedar base pressed and starched ladies attire ready to face the day and I certainly have never been, so it never fit my personality or taste. Having said that, if you enjoy the powerhouse fragrances of the 80s, this should be on your list to test as it is an undeniable classic.

Generic and Girlish
I loved this fragrance when I was thirteen or so, and that seems to be the age of girl it suits. I put some on periodically, and I just don't enjoy it anymore. It's not a bad fragrance or anything. It smells pleasant, albeit a little bland and lacking depth. I know other notes are listed, but to me it's just a watery powdery floral. If you’re a girl under the age of seventeen, this will likely appeal to you and smell perfectly appropriate, but I've outgrown this.

Anais Anais
When I was in high school there was a girl in my dramatic arts class who wore this. It smelled completely intoxicating on her. When she mentioned the name of it one day, I never forgot and that was over 20 years ago! That's got to say something about this fragrance. Easily one of my favorite perfumes on a lady!

Powdered daisys
I thought this was a little too overpowering and powdery for my liking. Not something that I can imagine appealing to me at any age. I wouldn't describe Anais Anais as being powdery and heavy like Chanel No.5, but rather a sourish floral scent. This however has great lasting power. I'm also not a fan of the bottle. They should have made a new bottle design since the original has been around for nearly 40 years.

Update:
I decided to give this another try to see whether my opinions might have changed. At first spray I realised why I didn't like it, it smelt rather like the weeds that are so common in Australian fields. It was greenish and sour. However, the drydown of this fragrance which I'd previously missed was rather likable. It wasn't unique in any way, but was rather soapy, powdery and fresh. Still not my cup of tea but not as bad as I previously thought.

DimitrakounDimitrakoun 7 months ago
As soon as the very first dizzying notes disappear, you find yourself surrounded by the most girly powdery powder of all powders.
TruckladyTrucklady 14 months ago
Timeless classic that brought an end to patchouli and chypre. Purple florals had their 15 min of fame too.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A myth,with its rich and apparently perfect bouquet that smells good on the paper strip ...but not on my skin ! :'-(

by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Zora
by Zora
by Hexana
by Hexana
by Hamraz
by Hamraz
Vorm Verkauf nochmal aufs Rhabarberblatt gebettet :-)
by Seejungfrau
by Merlina
by Scheeheratze
by Scheeheratze
by Somebody
Der linke Mini hat meine Sammlung gegründet, der rechte kam erst 8 Jahre später dazu.
by Florblanca
by Nefri
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Cacharel

Cacharel pour L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Noa (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Nemo (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Loulou (Eau de Parfum) by Cacharel Gloria (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Amor Amor by Cacharel Liberté by Cacharel Yes I Am by Cacharel Eden by Cacharel Loulou (Parfum) by Cacharel Amor Amor In A Flash by Cacharel Amor Amor Forbidden Kiss by Cacharel Noa Perle by Cacharel Loulou Blue by Cacharel Noa L'Eau by Cacharel Amor Amor Tentation by Cacharel Amor Amor L'Eau by Cacharel Promesse by Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs L'Original (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Amor Amor Electric Kiss by Cacharel