Loulou (1987) Eau de Parfum

Loulou (Eau de Parfum) by Cacharel
Bottle Design: Annegret Beier
Loulou (Eau de Parfum) (Cacharel)

Loulou (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Cacharel for women and was released in 1987. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by L'Oréal.

Jean Guichard

Top Notes Top NotesAniseed, Iris, Jasmine, Cassia, Lily, Mimosa, Plum, Violet, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Orris root, Orange blossom, Pot marigold, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 09.11.2018

Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Sweet, sweet, Lou Lou Lou
Oh, it's always so hard to write about certain scents. Either because you can't describe a fragrance olfactorically as you would like it to be or because you can't think of anything more to say or tell about it.

This is made more difficult by the fact that certain fragrances are even older and are perhaps regarded as classics by some, since they were quite famous and popular for their time, and if you have not experienced these times yourself (I was just 5 years old when the fragrance appeared here!), then you also have no memories or experiences with it.

But Loulou is still being sold today, even though his formula has probably changed a lot to this day. Can the fragrance compete with other fragrances of today? Well, you'll see...

The fragrance:
Wow, that's probably a lot of scents flashing up here right now. First of all one can say that the fragrance is very sweet and also powdery. A bit more detailed I would say: you can smell jasmine, cinnamon, violet and powdery iris. In addition, there are fruity notes of plum, airy light smoked frankincense, vanilla and a light almond- or marzipan-like scent.
The heliotrope listed in the heart note is probably responsible for the sweet almond or marzipan scent. One has the feeling that the fragrance becomes sweeter and sweeter without appearing synthetic. In the background there are more light, flowery notes, but they are hardly distinguishable from each other (at least I can't really tell them apart) and they don't seem stuffy either.
Also in the base the fragrance is mainly sweet, flowery you smell a little less now, but there is still the light, almond marzipan note to smell. Frankincense is also present and musk is added to all the sugary sweetness, giving the fragrance another sweetish note, but somehow "dark-sweet", smelling, even a little seductive. In general, musk and vanilla become the stronger notes of the base towards the end. And in the background of all these notes one smells soft sandalwood.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The scent comes in, you could say that much. He is really very strong, radiates quite intensely and is sure to smell one for some time. It also fills the room and of course leaves a large fragrance cloud behind.
The shelf life is therefore also quite long and, depending on the dosage, can be easily perceived the next morning.

The bottle:
As usual, over the years there have been a few flacons. The current one no longer looks like the smaller bottle with the red pointed "hat", but still has some similarities. There's the turquoise blue color. At the neck the bottle has a red stripe, which replaces the "hat" and whereupon the likewise blue lid attaches. Then there's the form. Although the bottle now looks more like an obelisk, it still has six surfaces like the original, but these are no longer even surfaces. The whole thing isn't very spectacular, because the old bottle looked much better, but it's still okay.

Loulou has become a nice fragrance in itself, although the ratings here can be irritating, as it is less good with its average 6.8 points. Of course, the fragrance could be overwhelming, because at the beginning it emits a whole load of sweet notes, ... but you don't have to wear it in the office or anything. Unless you can't stand your colleagues :D

It's an excellent place to go out, because it's got what it takes to attract attention (hmm... maybe I should try the scent, maybe I'll be there for a change and enjoy the bite! ... near, probably not *sigh*)...

If you want to use it outside, I recommend autumn and winter. Because the sillage is really high and in combination with such sugary notes it could be very exhausting and oppressive on warm days.

Apart from that Loulou is not as bad as it might seem and could be tested. In my opinion, the fragrance can still keep up with today's fragrances if you stand on this sweet scent. But it doesn't offer anything new or extraordinary (more), because there are enough similar fragrances on the market
Parfum chouchou
LouLou is to the white floriental what metallic paint trainers are to a pair of Stan Smiths, its the gritty sparkle that makes 'em stand out.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Taking me away...
Sometimes I have a dream...

I'm walking down a dark alley on a freezing winter night.
It's just a couple of days after New Year's Eve.
I'm slightly drunk and feeling lonely.
A wind chime starts to jingle somewhere in the distance, and I'm slowly deluged by a bizzare feeling that something extraordinary is about to happen.
And then it begins...
First I find myself surrounded by what I perceive as the most beautiful scent I have ever smelled.
It's smoky enough to trigger a fire alarm, powdery as a dozen of Versailles paramours, and so dense that you could cut it with a knife.
It's so breathtakingly beautiful that it has me staggering.
It's simply mesmerising, narcotic even.
"This can't be of this world..." I'm thinking.
And then I see it.
Slowly descending, a hexagonal teal something with a flashing crimson cone topping it, touches the ground softly.
I'm thinking that if this is a spaceship, then it's the most girly girlish that could possibly exist.
But I'm wrong...
The crimson top opens.
The scent becomes even stronger, and it seems to pulsate and breathe, as if it has a life of its own.
Two girls come out, glide gracefully down its side and walk slowly towards me.
They both have short black bobs, kohl-laden brown eyes, porcelain skin and ruby lips.
They're both clad in short flapper dresses in teal, heavy with beads, sequins and feathers, and wearing dazzling crimson headbands.
They're both smoking cinnamon scented cigarettes in long black bakelite cigarette holders.
They're both utterly dramatic and ravishingly beautiful.
"That's some rigs for space travel..." I'm thinking.
-"Oh, here you are!"
-"We were looking for you everywhere. We got so worried!"
Their voices are deep and husky, sending waves of tingling pleasure all over me.
-"I apologise, but I didn't know you were looking for me."
They both seem to get a little disappointed.
-"We thought you'd be expecting us..."
I'd like to tell them that I was expecting them all my life, but I try to appear tougher than I am and nonchalant enough to impress them.
-"Why should I expect two ladies from space?"
-"Oh, but we didn't come from space. We came from your dreams."
...
-"Come..."
...
-"I'm Loucille and she's Louella."

Don't wake me up...
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
I Love Loulou
This is another favourite sillage monster. One spray is definitely enough of this, and the longevity is amazing because I sprayed some on my wrist yesterday, and I can still smell it today.

This is another fragrance that some find dated that I'd call classic. I love the sweet spicy dichotomy going on in this scent. Judging from how much of it I smell on a night out of town, lots of others agree with me. There's something just a little over the top about the eighties, but if you scale it back, it's perfect. That's why I go for a minimalist application.

I agree that the vintage formulation is better, but even as a shadow of its former self, I still find this perfume intoxicating.

I also agree with bloodflowers about Cacharel: I may not like all of their perfumes, but you have to admit they smell unique, and I respect them for that.

I think it's so cool that it's named for Louise Brooks because her career was forgotten for more than a decade. I think Loulou the perfume may just have a similar fate.
Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Crippled Beauty
Like many fragrances that were launched in the 1980s, Lou Lou is one outsized perfume. However, while Giorgio, Poison and Coco conjure up images of Supermodel Glamazons and big-haired women in power suits, Lou Lou is better suited to the kind of crop-haired gamine you'd see in New Wave music videos wearing fingerless lace gloves and black tights. She isn't a bombshell, nor is Lou Lou a particularly sexy perfume. Rather, it is a narcotically heavy, sweet concoction with a strange edginess.

Lou Lou opens with a powdery-sweet accord that includes iris, violet, cinnamon and plum, and is rescued from mere saccharine prettiness by a bit of acrid cassia funk, smoky incense and anise. Similarly, the white floral heart of tuberose, orange blossom and ylang ylang gets a strange twist from the plastic doll scent of heliotrope.

Unfortunately, the current formulation of Lou Lou seems to have left most of its base notes back in the 80s. Although the drydown should feature benzoin, musk and sandalwood, all I can smell is a hulking FrankenVanilla that swallows everything else and makes me want to scrub. What started as a dark fairytale has become a trip to Dunkin Donuts...poor Lou Lou. :(
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Naughty in Turquoise
Cacharel has a lot of stars on its fragrance firmament, but LouLou has to be the moon. She is full, heavy and one of a kind. True; she's an acquired taste but if you give her the time she needs you'll see she's quite like no other. She might not be loved by all but I can't imagine anybody being indifferent to her. I too have loved and left her many, many times, distracted by yet another new fancy bottle, name or promises of sensuous pleasures; only to find that I miss the one perfume that addresses those elusive moods that strike me and I end up craving a bottle.
I am currently looking for a bottle (or two;) of the REAL LouLou, old loves die hard. Most modern perfumes seem bleak and one-dimensional next to troubled, blue, mysterious LouLou. That is a huge compliment, she's a classic and Cacharel should re-release her in her original formulation (AND wonderful uniquely shaped turquoise bottle!) A whole generation is missing out on a masterpiece that suits the moods you don't even know you have!

LouLou is a ponder-some mystery: Sad, yet cheery. Heavy, yet playful. Oriental, yet floral. Dark and light. Take it or leave it, she doesn't care.
I remember the oriental feel of the rich, deep vanilla incense sensation, the florals that seem to take turns from heavy to light. Tuberose and ylang-ylang and always - ALWAYS that stubborn smoky vanilla note, followed by an unusual mix of florals, spices and a dark musk and whiffs of a powdery heaven that somehow manage to play nice.

LouLou is a stubborn, bitter-sweet, sexy and impish woman that won't change and shouldn't change: She is too stubborn to leave (awesome longevity!)
Too impish not to be noticed (large radius of great 'attitude').

She is who she is and I love her for that. LouLou is a must have for those moments that just no other perfume will do. And with LouLou you can be sure - especially in this age of countless "celebrity" scents - that most people will be wondering what that unusual, delightful 'fragrance-puzzle' is that is embracing y
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Loud and unique
I have to hand it to Cacharel, I think they create very distinctive and unique fragrances which somehow are never copied and never remind of something else, truly original. Like other fragrances by this house Loulou also manages to do the same, represent an era.
Loulou, a sniff and you are in the eighties, this is so obvious. It is a bomb made of spices, flowers, resins and yes the prominent but yet hidden insence, clearly I can't detect any note because the composition is so successful that it is just one smell- it is Loulou.
For a potent perfume like this it would be wiser to use just one spray, it won't make you or the ones around you sick and it does have a great sillage and longetivity overapplied it may not be pleasant. Also I would like to add that this is the type o scent which keeps you warm in winter, it really heatens the skin. Unique! Cacharel I love you!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Lou Lou In Berlin
Who is Lou Lou? and what does she represent? is she the Lou Lou played by Louise Brooks as a amoral seductress in Weimar Berlin who's actions to bring her
to a downward spiral of Degradation or is she an 60's pop singer with the song To Sir with love'
Lou Lou Captures a lot of
mystery.

The opening for me starts sweet with luscious plum bring out with the innocence of delicate lily dries to an down to an powdery textures of Mimose Irises and Purple violet Chinese Cinnamon wood Brings out the exotica of this perfume and with the ending of the top notes the Leafy Cassia with it's primal and earthy essence.

The nocturnal jasmine starts the middle notes with the distant and crisp note
of anise orris with it's musky undertones makes it more androgynous
that appeals to both sexes; the drydown
of dry sandalwood with it's subtle presence with musk for it's mannish Dietrich Like sexuality in Morocco in the famous nightclub scene dresses like a male vanilla with it's dry sweetness
and Dark and Mysterious Incense Adds to the exotica of a Dark Cabaret with black
Curtains and Big Bold red neon words
flashes in the background while incense
burning beside each other during their
serpent Dance.
Scent 9.0/10
My Lou Lou-C'est moi
LouLou is a unique scent.My best oriental vanilla-incense based perfume.I use this fragrance since it was launched!It has great silage and longevity.
It is sharp when first applied but it calms to a very nice powdery and spicy aroma!
I smell cinnamon,tuberose,iris,violet,jasmine and lily in it!
It is feminine ,classical and irresistible!
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Spicy incense
I've only recently discovered a love for sweet and intense orientals. Lou Lou in my personal opinion is not dated at all. The fragrance is unique, rich, womanly and desirable.

Lou Lou makes me think of the Taj Mahal and ancient India, even though I have never travelled there. The composition of beautiful flowers mixed with a powdery vanilla and incense base is delightful and enchanting.

There is an inviting warmth to this scent, that makes me want to cuddle up next to someone beside a warm fire while it's cold outside. Lou Lou manages to be both classy, luxiourous and glamourous while creating an aura of sensuality and mystery.

This scent has been known to be a little overpowering at times, so it's best if sprayed with a light hand. I find Lou Lou to be rather similar to Samsara by Guerlain and Angel by Thierry Mugler, so if you are a lover of those fragrances you should give Lou Lou a try.
Requires patience
IF you have patience for the initial "cat pee" smell to fade you can open your eyes to a warm floral oriental. I almost swear my hand smells warmer! The bottle is execeptionally unique, but you dont need me to tell you. Great Sillage and great Longevity, will buy a small decant.

Hajuvana 2 years ago
Trash the white florals - what a wonderful oriental that would make! By today's standards, Loulou is like wearing two fragrances at a time.+3
Jazzy76 83 days ago
inspired to the famous actress of the "roaring 20es " Louise Brooks, it's a flowery-incensed potion very feminin with a good sillage+1
Bottle 5.0

• by Amber9 by Amber9
  • by GeorgeMaras by GeorgeMaras
  • LouLou Voile de Parfum by Hasi
  • by Sweetgrass by Sweetgrass
  • Cacharel - Lou Lou2 - 75 mm - 7,5 ml - Top schwarz, rote Quaste by DonVanVliet
  • Cacharel - Lou Lou5 - 115 mm - 50 ml - klarer Vapo, Factice by DonVanVliet
  • by Schahram by Schahram
  • by Schahram by Schahram
  • by Stardust by Stardust

Popular Cacharel

Loulou (Eau de Parfum) by Cacharel Noa by Cacharel Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel Eden by Cacharel Amor Amor by Cacharel Cacharel pour L'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Liberté by Cacharel Scarlett by Cacharel Gloria (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Nemo (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Noa Perle by Cacharel Amor Amor Tentation by Cacharel Promesse by Cacharel Amor Amor Forbidden Kiss by Cacharel Amor Amor In a Flash by Cacharel Amor Amor L'Eau by Cacharel Eau d'Eden by Cacharel Catch… Me by Cacharel Amor pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Cacharel Noa L'Eau by Cacharel