CK Be by Calvin Klein
Bottle Design Fabien Baron

CK Be is a perfume by Calvin Klein for women and men and was released in 1996. The scent is fresh-woody. It was last marketed by Coty.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Ann Gottlieb (Produktentwicklerin)

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Mint, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesSpices, White peach
Base Notes Base NotesOpoponax, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.04.2020.

Eisbaer
"Time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping..."
Transfiguration can be a beautiful thing. Were summers really sunnier as a child? Were they really whiter at Christmas? Was life really so much more carefree? I thought about it for a long time. As a child of the 1990s, I am very much of the opinion that we still regularly had white Christmases back then. Photos from that time can prove it. But as far as summers are concerned, they are certainly just as hot and sunny today as they were then. Nevertheless, I am of the opinion that the summertime of the 90s was a special one. Probably mostly because of the lack of internet. Meeting friends was arranged over the phone, if at all. Most of the time, however, people just met spontaneously - either in the backyard of the new housing estate, on the playground or on the basketball court. And when the ice cream man rang the bell on particularly hot days, there was a race to see who could reach his apartment first, talk his parents out of 50 pfennigs for a scoop of vanilla and then secure the front places in the queue in front of the ice cream van.

I love those memories. As the years went by, I gradually realized that I was transfigured. My parents, for example, found the 90s very stressful and nerve-wracking. I think a little bit that anyone who can claim to have had a wonderful childhood is transfigured. Unfortunately, the word is rather negative. But I think transfiguration is a wonderful thing - it is one of the greatest functions our brain has: Preserve the positive and sort out the bad in the best possible way. This ability enables us to travel in time. Journeys into those phases of life that we unconsciously carry within us every day - and how beautiful it is when we specifically remember those beautiful experiences that we once had. Especially since we can trigger this optimally: Through photographs and films, through music - and through smells. This is where "CK Be" by Calvin Klein from 1996 comes into play. Randomly selected? No, quite deliberately. "CK Be" is one of those fragrances that have the trigger effect mentioned above. It catapults me back to the summertime of the '90s.

I perceive "CK Be" as a very fresh scent. Two or three sprayers from the deep black bottle and immediately iced mint water opens up with a light tangerine in the background. After about two to three minutes, the juniper berry comes out and the fragrance develops in a deep woody direction. However, we are not talking here about fresh juniper berries served as a still life on a noble dining table - rather, the impression is created as if a bottle of gin had broken in the building materials and wood department in the Hornbach. :-) However, this is not meant negatively at all, because this combination really has something independent and extremely pleasant. I like the freshness of mint, which is always preserved, best. This makes the "CK Be" very tangy and light. Now there is of course the question: You didn't wear it as a child, did you? The answer is yes and no. My brother (almost five years older) used to wear a light eau de toilette every now and then when he was a sportsman. The whole range of AXE was there, "Cool Water" by Davidoff was there - and so was "CK Be". I didn't consciously apply it, that's true - but I stole a small sprayer every now and then when nobody was looking (as perfumes probably did as children). This was probably never noticed, because even back then the "CK Be" was of the very quietest kind: It doesn't last half an hour on the skin, a sillage doesn't even exist shortly after spraying it on.

However, the factors mentioned do not bother me in this case, because Calvin Klein's "CK Be" is not a fragrance for me to wear. It serves me as a little half-hour time travel into my past. It causes a headache for me. My brother belonged to the soccer faction at that time, I tended much more towards basketball. When I smell CK Be today, I think of playgrounds and football fields where football and basketball are played. I think of scorching hot summer days, of my tattoos, of my yellow and black Gum Watch from Crazy Planet (who else knows it?), of the ringing of the bell of the ice cream van with Bugs Bunny printed on the front. Speaking of Bugs Bunny: The "CK Be" also brings back memories of the movie "Space Jam". And of course memories of my brother. Running around together on the sports fields and in the backyard, countless abrasions, his ghetto blaster, with which he used to play ball games. :-) But also on the quieter summer evenings, when we as a family sat outside for a barbecue or when my brother and I built whole towns out of Lego bricks together in the children's room. I love it when scents manage to bring the most diverse images into my memory. Unfortunately, as I said, the experience of "CK Be" lasts only a very short time. But I forgive him for that. I am very happy that he still exists today and I am always happy when he lets me travel in time for a few minutes.

If Calvin Klein were "CK Be" music:

"Fly Like An Eagle" by Seal
"Ready Or Not" by Fugees
"Lonely" by Nana
"Don't Let Go" by En Vogue
JoniB
An excursion into the past
So now it's time to write the first comment in this great community.
CK Be is in my eyes the perfect occasion, because it was also my first perfume for years.
It's been 23 years. The teenage years are half over and actually just beginning.
And that was the companion who perhaps did not ring in this unique time, but accompanied it completely.
The first girls, a (at least in retrospect) great school time, every weekend celebrating with schoolmates, all crazy and funny moments of light-heartedness. And whenever I smell this scent, it tells me an almost forgotten story from this stage of my life.

Durability and Sillage were already rather weak at that time, the today's fillings seem to take the snowflake over the campfire as model.
But I forgive that, this scent is only for me.
Not to wear in public, no, just to sniff, just to dive into the past sometimes, just to indulge in wonderful memories.
Justinkl1999
Smells very chemical, how can you evaluate the scent so well?
I got this scent for my birthday. What can I say... I couldn't choose the birthday present. The perfume smells of rain and leaves, very chemical. The shelf life is also bad. For the same price there are better scents
ThoYv
Good fragrance but poor shelf life
The scent is great but it disappears very fast. The scent is gone after about an hour. Since the scent smells very good I would recommend it anyway to go to the restaurant to eat. You have to note that the fragrance is unisex and everyone can wear it

Jazzy76
The dark side of the moon
This scent is the "dark side of the moon" in comparison with CK one.
If the second is light and bright, this one is deeper and more spicy-aromatic.
But let's start describing the bottle: minimal and totally black. It suggests something mysterious.
Well, you smell it and immediately a vibrant juniper note hits your nose, as pungent as the other citrusy opening notes. But the spices are the main actresses of this scent which remind me of the magic and hypnotic atmospheres of the Pink Floyd's concept album "The dark side of the moon".
This oriental touch made me travel with my mind to unknown nocturne landscapes.
This mystery is underlined by the base accord, made of opoponax, sandalwood and a light touch of tonka bean. But this trip was quite short: the sillage is quite weak and the longevity not so good at least on my skin.
anyway, a particular four seasons fragrance (but mostly perfect when it's warm) I added to my wishlist to join the dark side of the moon and of my soul too.
Better than ck one
If you don't like CK one, you might like this fragrance. Half bar is just as bad, but the scent is definitely more pleasant. Smells like fresh laundry, rain and something that I have a certain, indefinable mysticism. Better than ck one definitely, but it's not kicking my ass.
FlirtyFlower
What are you looking for when you're looking for yourself?
A new job, a new perfume, a new image ... What doesn't it take to survive?

When I lie there in the darkness, I have the feeling that darkness is infinite. But when the alarm clock rings, I notice that it's not a dark hole inside me at all, but the dawn that, contrary to expectations, promises a new day.

Because of the interviews, I read that men's perfumes in particular should make women more competent in the interview. But when I sprayed Thommy on it, I had the feeling in the middle of the conversation that I was growing a lady's beard.

And when I try out Dior Sauvage, I feel like a little unmade-up forest goblin sitting there unshaven and unfiltered like the little swan, as if he had never got out of his ugly duckling stage
Whether it is these feelings that really make me feel more competent. Well, I don't know.

So I'm still looking for the ideal fragrance, the ideal outfit and the ideal strategy. CK be I had recently taken in dm with me because of a really great rating on Parfumo and just try it with the fragrance.

An old colleague also gave me a book about the application strategy. I can only recommend it to all of you when the job shoe is tight and you have to look for something new.

It's called "help - I work in an insane asylum." In fact, the descriptions of the boss types help you to sort out some particularly abstruse specimens in advance. For people in difficult situations, it is also a help to understand that career does not always have anything to do with qualification."

Anyway... One day when I'm standing in Saturn (diesel powered in CK be) to get a USB stick, I feel like the divine inspiration couldn't be better. A USB stick in the form of a key. It's like I'm having a cerebral flatulence and *plopp* - there's a middle-aged lady, ok let's say late forties, standing next to me. She has reddish-brown hair, which reaches her in braided form up to the bottom. She has a pony and is relatively dainty overall and despite her sporty clothes relatively graceful and dainty in her kind.

She asks me, "What do you want with it?" - I just say with a stupid grin, "Do you think it's the key to success?" She's laughing and I like her so much. When I tell her that I want the stick for an interview, she laughs again and introduces herself to me as Vera from Canada. She says, "I used to look for the right job, too. And I have to tell you, I have a twin sister who looks like an egg to me. I applied to your company at the time and thought I needed the job, I wanted the job, I got the job. But you can't force anything."

I look at her with big brown eyes and I just say, "What do you mean?" She says, "You know, I really wanted to be a salesman. I wanted to pretend to be someone I'm not. If it's supposed to be with a job because it fits, it'll work."

And I still look at them with big brown eyes... "Well", Vera says: "If you are ready for a task and you fit for something, then it will work. But the second you try to force something, it won't work anyway."

She says something that in combination with CK be should burn forever in my heart:

"Don't obsess, don't prove it right.
When it's meant to be, it will be."

And when I realize that in that second, I notice how I haven't even noticed CK be yet. Just that I feel like myself with this scent. The scent is fresh and yet herbaceous, but not like a whole forest, so I have to feel like a shrunken forest gnome. It has a certain hold in which it actually radiates competence without undermining the wearer's own nature. It is unisex and just because of that, it would not toast either women or men. But with the right make-up, the scent still helps you to be yourself
And if you are in a situation where you don't know how to behave, where you don't know what to wear or what would be best, I can only say:

Do and be as it makes you happy, because the right people, no matter in the job or private, will understand it and stay with you.

And just keep on being yourselves because everyone else is already forgiven. (Oscar Wilde)

EPILOG
A big "apology" to all who have read the commentary before. I deleted it, but I regretted it very much. And to anyone who has a hard day! Hold on! And always hope for the best!

DPArtist
A fresh & enticing beauty of a fragrance, with a bit of timeless mystery...and then she's gone!
I'm a fan of both the white CK One and this black CK Be fragrances. I always used to compare them and for me I associate CK One with the warmer seasons and CK Be with autumn & winter, something about Be (possibly the spices and my actual past wearings of it) makes me think of those more chilly & dark evenings, Christmas parties, dressing up a bit more than usual etc. It has a comforting element to it, like arriving in a warm home or pub somewhere in England and shaking off the rain and sleet from my coat, being met by a warm welcoming ambiance and receiving a refreshing beverage or two!

I currently have the special edition bottle which came with a mini speaker and all the 'we are one' scribbles in various languages on the bottle, released I believe around 2009/10, a present from my ex-fiancee that I managed to keep (unlike a few others including my cherished Bvlgari Aqva!), I won't go into any more detail there, haha! I haven't smelled a recent batch and not sure if mine has changed odour over the years but it still smells good to me. And yes, it's another one of those scents that I have to keep on sniffing. It also sometimes smells fresh but comforting like an old bubble bath or shower gel I may have used years ago.

Despite my associating this scent with the colder months, this really is an all-rounder/all seasons fragrance, as well as being 'unisex' although to me it leans slightly more on the masculine side than CK One, not that it matters really. I only recently looked up the notes on this one and I hadn't worn it for a long time but they seem quite an eclectic mix, they work well though. The delicate florals bounce off the musk, sandalwood, lavender and bergamot main notes whilst propped up by a base of cedar and amber with the underlying almost honey-like sweetness of opoponax resin. There are other notes that some noses may detect better than mine though, such as mint, vanilla, green grass and peach.

The big drawback for me with CK Be is that is just doesn't last long at all (and I mean AT ALL!) on my skin-I'm talking skin scent in 30 mins maximum, a couple of hours and it will have completely vanished!- which is a real shame. I intend to try it out on some clothes though, it may perform better. Current low prices (online) even for the 200ml bottles suggest longevity of recent batches hasn't improved (and may even be lower!), but that said, I may just go with a few extra sprays and fill a mini travel atomiser with the juice, I suggest trying before you buy and if you like the scent, do the same.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Darragh AKA DPArtist

Unisex and clean rubbery fragrance
There is something incredibly relaxing and calm about this fragrance. It is comfortable and light while maintaining a certain presence that is both charming and ideal.

Unisex it certainly is. While the opening is rather masculine, and in some ways similar to Bvlgari Black, the drydown is quite floral and clean, but not at all feminine. CK Be is somewhere in between, something that would smell sexy on a man and pretty on a woman.

CK Be is mysterious but certainly not dark. There's an element of cheerfulness behind this fragrance and it is quite refreshing.

I sense a subtle rubbery note intermixed into the notes which gives this fragrance that little something. The rubber combined with smokey woods and sweet floral notes really makes this fragrance worthwhile.

The lasting power is quite good and the price is fantastic for such a quality scent. I recommend for both sexes.

spoiled on my skin
This smelled great on a tester and continued to smell great on the tester. This smelled terrible on me and continues to smell terrible on me. I tend to like CK so I tried it fast, but found I couldn't get it off of me fast ENOUGH!Started as a pretty good balanced Floral/ Musk, Immediatly dried down to a woody/ musk and stayed there for the remainder of 3hrs. It smells like cardboard on me. I liked Excape much better!

Carlitos01Carlitos01 98 days ago
Fresh as the regular Ck One, but with juniper and sandalwood for a woddier scent. Unfortunately the bad performance remains.
DPArtistDPArtist 144 days ago
Lavender (unlisted here!) aromatherapy! A timeless, soothing & relaxing elixir. Woods, resin & spices add mystery to this discreet beauty.
ElysiumElysium 153 days ago
Very, very, very akin to Solo Soprani, same vibe and scent. Yet, it's pretty good per se, clean, gentle, light. I fancy to rock it in Spring
Jazzy76Jazzy76 21 months ago
The dark side of the moon: spicy, aromatic, deep and a little mysterious although anyway light and with a gentle sillage

Während der Vorbereitung auf meine nächste Ausstellung fiel mir diese Zeichnung aus dem Jahr 2014 in die Hände ...
by Leons
by Acamara
by Safranek
by Safranek

Popular Calvin Klein

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Calvin (Cologne) by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Liquid Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty Essence by Calvin Klein CK One Shock for Him Street Edition by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria by Calvin Klein CK All by Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2011 by Calvin Klein Eternity Moment by Calvin Klein