Dark Obsession for Men 2013Eau de Toilette

Dark Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein
Dark Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Calvin Klein for men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-oriental. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesBrazilian green mandarin orange, Guarana, Absinth
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrench clary sage, Fir resin, White vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Labdanum, Suede

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 30.07.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Matthew Terry.

Rquill67
Seductive, unique but doesn't last long enough like many Calvin Kleins
Calvin Klein’s Dark Obsession is seductive and dark. I do get some citrus at the top for 15 seconds and then disappears quickly. Then I get the wormwood, vanilla, guarana (a little fruity and spicy), and spice from the Clary sage. I don’t get fir or vetiver. The dry down is sweet and cola-like and is also aromatic (makes me smile when I smell it on myself). I’m not sure how to explain it. It’s almost like one reviewer stated “a vanilla cola vibe”, and there’s something almost “paper” like, or “play dough” like in the dry down and it smells great. I think this could be the laudanum that anchors the fragrance? No surprise though... no longevity. Gone in 2-3 hours. The other thing about this, as well as the last Calvin Klein I reviewed (Reveal), is that on the “far dry down” the fragrance smells like Final Net hairspray as if Coty is using a really cheap fixative? If this fragrance lasted longer, and didn’t have the cheap smell at the end (and you will get that smell with other cheapies too like Cremo); this would have been a fragrance I would have purchased again and again. I will wear it and won’t give this one away, and once it’s gone it’s gone. 6 / 10 for me. Could have been so great! Coty missed the mark on this one.
After Eight in a black Bottle
It really takes getting used to at first.
Green, immature mandarin with absinthe. So green-boozy. One could almost fear a gag reflex.

I thought to myself: "No, please, not another blind mistake!?"

Wrong thinking. A few minutes later a resinous freshness with vetiver comes into play. The fragrance is still mixed undecidedly wild.

Finally he comes to the base. A chocolate mint mixture with vanilla that remains freshly sweet and spicy. Leather swings discreetly in the background.

Definitely a sweet gourmand, but the sweetness is really subtle. After 20-30 minutes it smells similar to After Eight.

Give him a try!

A Dark Obsession obsesses me
I love Obsession for Men (and for Women as well). It's easy to snif its ADN in this fragrance.
The opening is freshy but not zesty. There is a strong sweet note (probably from guarana seeds) tamed by some wormwood bitterness.
The fragrance then evolves to more woody and balsamic notes, while sustaining a vague herbal freshness.
The dry down is very pleasant. It's sweet and mysterious, a bit dark and very sexy.

Let us see what the maths tell us about this EDT:
Scent opening: 8.0 (very nice)
Scent dry down: 8.5 (nicer)
Longevity: 7.5 (average for the existing notes)
Sillage: 7.0 (same as longevity)
Uniqueness: 8.0 (not unique; it remembers me of Obsession EDT, CK Shock and Guerlain Instant EDT)
Wearability: 8.0 (Winter, Autumn, Spring, Night and Day)
Versatility: 8.0 (yes to socializing events, formal encounters, night out, restaurants, dating, office, ...)
Compliments: 8.0 (provided it has not yet become a skin scent, it's an accomplished head turner)
Quality: 8.0 (my judgement)
Presentation: 8.0 (simple but effective, not tacky; good sprayer)
Price: 8.5 (125 ml tester for 19.50 Euros)

Overall rating for this fragrance: 7.95/10.00
I do recommend it, but you'd better test it first.

Syzygy73Syzygy73 2 years ago
A little better than the 'classy' evening colognes like Armani Code or D&G The One, but it's no YSL L'H De La Nuit. Enjoyable but ordinary.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I I usually don't apreciate Calvin Klein fragrances.
It's not as dark as I would like it to be, but I know I like it a lot anyway.

by Lancaster85
by Lancaster85

Popular Calvin Klein

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Calvin (Cologne) by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK Be by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria by Calvin Klein Liquid Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One Shock for Him Street Edition by Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty Essence by Calvin Klein