Eternity (1988)Eau de Parfum

Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand

Eternity (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Calvin Klein for women and was released in 1988. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Coty.

Sophia Grojsman

Top Notes Top NotesFreesia, Mandarin, Sage, Green notes, Lemon blossom
Heart Notes Heart NotesLily-of-the-valley, Pot marigold, White lily, Rose, Narcissus, Carnation, Violet, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.05.2020.

DonJuanDeCat
A violent bouquet of flowers
Hello hello :)
Today I dare to venture into a fragrance that is certainly considered a true classic... and probably has already been described 2345 times. But I thought to myself, "Hey, what the hell? After all, you've ruined your reputation as a commentator on Parfumo anyway.... uh... ... I meant a reputation as an annoying writer, so it shouldn't surprise anyone anymore if I write a few words about this fragrance here!" D

Well... soooo... you know what? I must first admit that I have never been a very big fan of Eternity. At least not from the EDP for ladies, because I don't know all the other Eternitys (yet). My mother, on the other hand, is totally into this fragrance, so that the bottle never seems to run out (because she always buys it again, even though I've shown her some women's fragrances and she now has several fragrances, just because she's seen that I also have about 20 fragrances ... can it be that perfumes cause addiction attacks especially among women and you want more and more? And no, I don't just mean you, you fragrance freak from Wiesbaden, who drags me in wherever anything has to do with fragrances...!) :DD

Hey hey... argh, I'm so dead next time I see her... :D

Uh, where was I? Oh yes, I wanted to say a few words about this scent!

The fragrance:
The scent begins with all kinds of flowers, which (for me) only open up on closer inspection or sniffing out to some extent. As always I cannot name many flower notes freely from my head, but need the fragrance pyramid for some of them. Anyway, I smell daffodils, freesias (which somehow come across less stuffy or dry here than in other scents), watery flower scents like the flowery scented water at florists as well as sweet scented lilies of the valley. In addition, there are slightly bitter-scented tangerine peels, herbaceous notes (although I can't actually smell sage as indicated here, but more herbs in general) and, above all, beautiful green notes reminiscent of plant juices.
A little later I can see more flowers, such as slightly powdery-sweet violets and slightly more bitter cloves.
Unfortunately, there is also something sharp and ripe, that is difficult to describe. A fragrance that smells synthetic but does not really come across as synthetic. Something that smells sharp or bitter as I said, then drifts into stuffy air and disturbs me a little bit personally. I guess that's just a side note of all the floral notes and it may well be that you ladies don't care as much about that as I do. Anyway, the fragrance becomes quite heavy for me and I have the feeling, as if the fragrance could stay in the air for a few minutes, although the fragrance bearer should have disappeared long ago :D
In the end the fragrance is still very floral, but now a little softer. In addition there is musk and gives the fragrance a pure sweet fragrance.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is extraordinarily high. Because it's quite room-filling. As described before, the fragrance is not only good to smell on one, but also stays there for some time where the fragrance carrier has been slapping along with this fragrance :D Well, lovers of strong fragrances will be happy about this, but I still recommend to pay attention to the dosage.
The shelf life is quite long because it lasts over ten hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular and high, seems to have a high quality and lies well in the hand. The neck is chrome-plated and cylindrical and connected to it is the T-shaped spray head, which is also the lid, or the spray head has been integrated into the lid. Not soo special in itself, but still quite nice.

So, well... the fragrance isn't soo bad now, of course, but I'll probably never be a big fan of Eternity, but I haven't tried the Flankers yet, so you never know. The EDP in any case is not bad in itself, as I said, but I feel a little overwhelmed by the many flowery notes, which also radiate quite violently for a long time. It may be that this fragrance was totally fashionable at that time, but in the meantime you might want to have a look at other fragrances, but on the other hand I also know what it's like when you have become fond of a fragrance and don't want to renounce it anymore.

Actually he almost would have been an all-rounder, but his intensity has made him more of a fragrance for autumn and winter. It can be used in these colder months as an everyday scent (but then rather applied in small doses) as well as for going out, whereby for me it gives much nicer scents for going out, but hey, everyone has his own :)

But for my mother's birthday I will certainly give her something else, a different fragrance, so that her number of fragrances increases again and she shouldn't whine so much that I would have so many fragrances myself, or at least more fragrances than she has... (hmm... the whining seems to be in our family... :DD).

Well then, see you then, and have all a nice evening :)

Opweh
A very no-nonsense scent for women.
When smelling this I picture myself on a meadow field, with only a handful of flowers. Smelling single flowers here and there.

The smell is not piercing — it's nicely mild and it smells very balanced.

I like it. I'd say this fragrance goes for about any situation.
Wetterhex
Tinkerbell in the herb forest
A light green forest after a spring rain.
The first lilies of the valley gently stretch out towards the spring sun. Everything is filled with hearty, fresh, slightly resinous air. The fresh green of the trees, young spruces, whose tips have been nibbled by the deer and which exude this resinous scent.
A torrent ripples through this stony, mountainous forest.
At first small and narrow, it makes its way through the mountain valley, foaming and rushing over the large and small stones. Towards the valley it becomes wider and quieter. Its water is icy cold and clear.
It offers a home to beautiful fish, the animals of the forest quench their thirst there.
First rays of sunlight draw beautiful patterns through the dense trees.
No sooner does the light reach the ground.
And there, on a big rock, she sits. A beautiful, delicate elf.
It seems almost unreal. A light green dress, long, golden-blond curls caress her delicate neck.
One almost believes to see a mirage or something similar, that's how fairy-tale like it looks.
Next to her in the soft moss lies an inconspicuous bottle. But out of it emanates exactly the scent that we perceived during our hike through the mountain forest.
And the next moment, she's gone.

Jazzy76
The first steps of minimalism
Eternity was officially born in 1988 but its spirit and character is typical of the next decade. It's a minimalist fragrance, the bottle and the scent inside are simple, clean, minimal.It could be a unisex fragrance . I recently re-tested after many years and I cannot say if I really like it or not. It seems too "cold ", it doesn't give me any emotion . Anyway, it could be a perfect "office scent"!

Too cold and distant
I first became acquainted with this perfume back in high school. A girl next to me in first hour was smelling awesome one morning, so I enquired what it was. When she told me "Eternity," I knew I had to have it! So, I requested it for Christmas that year and received the big bottle with the dabber top. I had it all the way through hich school and college. A little goes a long way--It's big! It's bold! It definitely reminds me of the late 80's-early 90's! I hadn't worn it for years, but I recently acquired a little sample. It's still big, bold, and 80's! This is the perfume of the Ice Maiden. You know the type: The woman who crushes all of her competition and shatters every glass ceiling standing in her way of the top of the corporate ladder.

In all, I prefer warmer and musky-vanilla-y scents. On me, it is very cold. I enjoy it for the nostalgia, but there are other perfumes that fit me better.
5.5

A great, clean '90s staple fragrance
Eternity has always reminded me of something a girl next door type would wear. Spicy carnation in a bouquet of lovely florals, a splash of citruses that help freshen up the green notes. Lily of the valley is bright and clean, and is a great complement to the soft and creamy carnation. Very pleasant.

A Carnation Classic
I have a miniature of this Calvin Klein classic from the time when it was still Calvin Klein Cosmetics ,instead of Coty.
Although i'm impressed with the quality of the perfume, and the originality (regarding it was late 80's),there's just a to strong carnation here involved for me to love it.

Eternity Can Be Revisited
"Eternity" is a modern classic that flooded the market and was an instant success. These days it's not as unique as it used to be, but it is still a very recognizable scent and I still get into moods where I like to wear it.

On me its the perfect lily-of-the-valley and carnation notes mixed with a zesty citrus note, and thats no mean feat if you know that LOTV and carnation can easily individually ruin a perfume for me...no matter what other lovely notes might be present, yet in Eternity they both live in wonderful harmony among the other notes. Its all sparkly fresh green with freesia and dries down onto a heliotrope base.

A lovely choice if you'd like a fresh floral that has great silage and longevity, and these days it's not as omnipresent as it used to be, so perhaps now it the time to try it (again) and surround yourself with an elegant cloud among the current fruity/candy wave that has swept perfume-land. It's still yummy and now there are flankers to choose from, too! ; )

I am aware that Eternity is often compared to "Sun Moon Stars" - I own SMS too and smell the similarities but also the differences and you should not assume that SMS is a dead-ringer for Eternity but rather that they are sisters, one sporty and extravert whilst the other is more demure and a bit dreamy.

Silage is: a fresh and elegant floral - longevity is: Hello! I am an 80s child! Smell me always and all day long! Enjoy.

Katad
Eternity = how long it takes for this scent to fade...
Very strong, heavy, spicy floral. Carnation & cloves are very prominent all of the way through this scent's endless journey.

Shortly after applying I get an underlying layer of laundry soap as well. I don't find that much depth or complexity here only REALLY LOUD SPICY CARNATIONS. Deadly strong - use with caution, may cause headaches. The tiniest spritz will last forever. Becomes much nicer when it finally fades into powderiness.

All in all way too much for me.

The Quintessential Tattoo Frag
Calvin Klein ETERNITY is a big, bold, no-holds-barred, super-sillage, *very* floral floral perfume by Sophia Grojsman.

Like YSL PARIS (also a Grojsman creation), ETERNITY is a veritable flowerbomb (a name that would have been most apt for either of these two fragrances, among others launched about the same time...). But here the rose does not dominate, and is even downplayed, next to an assortment of other multicolored flowers that really do drown out most of the nonfloral elements from beginning to end.

Although I managed to drain a couple of bottles of ETERNITY, today I am wondering how I accomplished such a feat. It may be that during the decade in which it appeared, along with other super-sillage florals such as SUNG, CABOTINE, PARIS, AMARIGE, TRESOR, etc., there was a lot of Y2K anxiety in the air, and people were truly worried that they might have to get by with a single bottle of perfume for the rest of their life. These perfumes take the notion of "signature scent" to a whole new stratum, verging closer to "tattoo". Having once worn ETERNITY, it becomes immediately--and eternally--recognizable whenever and wherever it is encountered again.

This is a strong, in-your-face floral that cannot really be underapplied. ETERNITY incessantly, persistently presents itself to the wearer's mind (and that of all those in the immediate vicinity). The flowers are pretty, if a tad synthetic, but the sillage is almost suffocating. A further problem, idiosyncratic to me, is that I detect clove here somewhere, though it is not listed in the notes. (Eugenol no doubt looms large among the ingredients...) For several years now, I have found the pronounced scent of clove--whether real or perceived--to be very difficult to endure.

Still, ETERNITY holds a place in my heart, as I really did like it, for a time.

Bcars10Bcars10 3 years ago
A very "cold" floral, but I like it well enough-mostly for the nostalgia it brings me. Overall, it's just not me.

by PennyT
by PennyT
Ich liebe Lesen und Bücher. Meine Leidenschaft seit Klein auf.
by Baeumchen
by Alinamaria
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Calvin Klein

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Calvin (Cologne) by Calvin Klein CK Be by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein CK One (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein Liquid Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein CK One Shock for Him Street Edition by Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK All by Calvin Klein Obsession (Perfume) by Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty Essence by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria by Calvin Klein