Obsession for Men (1986) Eau de Toilette

Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand
Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) (Calvin Klein)
Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Calvin Klein for men and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty.

Bob Slattery

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Coriander, Lavender, Lime, Mandarin, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Nutmeg, Myrrh, Clove, Pine, Rosewood, Red berries, Sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 29.07.2018

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Obsession From A Different Corner
Obsession is a vintage CK male cologne that belongs to the past century and it was my first oriental fragrance, which I wore in the late Eighty when I was twenty-something and I went through two bottles of this after high school graduation, and I am still burnt out on it. I've recently found a bargain and bought another bottle of it and now it is part of my winter rotation. Just to give it a try I sprayed a couple of sprits on my skin and immediately I went back in time to that marvelous period of my life... George Michael "A Different Corner" is the song that came to my mind, although Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran were likewise hitting the top. A great scent then, and still smells just as I recall. One of the first things that I have always noticed about Obsession is its warmth and notes of spice. It is a rather complex and rich fragrance and unlike a scent such as Opium Pour Homme, its spice is less Oriental and more of a fragrant cinnamon bouquet.

This scent is really interesting because it also has some fruity top notes like tangerine along with some more subdued floral notes which lend it an earthy or woodsy quality. The warmth and the blend of herbal spice and florals lend credence to the fact that Obsession is a very nice cologne for the winter months. I think that it hangs beautifully in the crisp and cold air. Its longevity is average in my opinion, though, it can become overpowering when over-sprayed and have a tendency to permeate from clothing or skin.

In blending Obsession for men, I think that Calvin Klein's perfumers went to the extreme of blending an explosive combination of fresh citruses like bergamot, grapefruit, lime, and tangerine while harmonizing the flowery whiff of relaxing lavender, fruity nut, spicy aroma of coriander and warmth of cinnamon.
The heart is rich in colorful carnation with yellow jasmine, multi-way rose tree, and green pine, whereas the dry-down is muted by a warm aura of amber, benzoin, patchouli, and undertones of musk, sandalwood, vetiver, and vanilla.

Overall, I still think that this is one of the top fragrances by Calvin Klein and is simply a classic. There does seem to be a different formulation though with newer bottles versus the older version like it has become a bit weaker. I don’t know what the deal with that is but this can still be a good pick up for the right guy. Recently, we all noticed that our beloved vintage jewels have gone under some reformulation that makes them lighter and weaker than the original ones.
It is a mature fragrance for everyday wear and is also inexpensive, so those are some definite pluses that Obsession has going for it. This scent is so appealing and perfect choice for events in the daytime as well as in nighttime. On the other hand, some will feel that this cologne is strictly for the older set or has a dated vibe to it. You know what? I don't care. Is it awesome? Absolutely.

One of the most compliment getter on all occasions!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
The Calvin Klein From My Youth That Went Unnoticed...
*This is a review of the vintage version of Obsession for Men.

As I was in my mid-teens when Obsession for Men was initially released it is with some embarrassment that I admit to only trying the vintage version from my youth just recently, additionally not really noticing it on others over the years. The Calvin Klein release that I kept smelling back then (and loathing with a passion) was Eternity for Men... So with those unhappy memories of Eternity for Men coupled with my other failures with every Calvin Klein release I have come across, I forced myself to finally take a chance and blind buy a small bottle of the vintage Obsession for Men to see what I may have been missing all these years...

Obsession for Men (vintage) opens with powerful lavender before quickly morphing to its starring carnation and rosewood tandem in the early heart. The rosewood definitely features its rosy floral aspect that compliments the carnation while its woody facet grounds the composition. Joining the heavy woody florals is an underlying mild cinnamon and nutmeg spice combination that acts as further support for the woody floral accord while powdery vanilla from the base makes its way to join the party early in the late heart. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down, the powdery vanilla takes over as the focus, joined by slightly sweet amber and deep musk that replace the earlier florals, giving the composition a more warm finish. Projection is good, and so is longevity at 8-10 hours on skin.

The wonderful carnation and rosewood tandem featured in the early heart has a passing similarity to the heart accord of one of my favorite compositions, JHL by Aramis, but the two are dissimilar on the whole. Things get less desirable during the early dry-down as Obsession for Men (vintage) gets quite powdery; and when the powder combines in the late heart with the remnants of the carnation and rosewood it can be a bit too much at times. That said, once the floral aspects finally dissipate during the late dry-down the powder becomes much more tolerable and the composition is easy to wear again. The bottom line is Obsession for Men (vintage) has a lot to love with its fabulous carnation and rosewood early heart accord, but the later powder from the vanilla really ruins the effect to a great degree. Intrusive powder aside, Obsession for Men (vintage) is still a "good" to "very good" rated classic composition that earns 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 and should be on any powder lover's radar as vintage bottles can be found relatively inexpensively on the after-market.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
A Masterpiece
The best cologne ever, hands down. I've been wearing this since the 80s and it's my signature scent, although I've recently expanded into other colognes as well.

I've had no end of compliments over the years and never once have I had anyone say they didn't like it. Women seem to gravitate to it.

Do yourself a favor and get a bottle - then, you'll understand.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Incense sticks
When I smelt Obsession for Men for the very first time I was amazed that I hadn't come across this fragrance sooner. It has all the qualities I desire in my own perfumes, let alone what I wish every man would smell like.

I love the scent of incense, particularly sandalwood, patchouli or vanilla based incense sticks. This fragrance smells like a beautiful combination of the three, all smokey, spicy and sweet.

Obsession for Men does perhaps smell a little 'churchy' and a little too oriental for some, but this fragrance intrigues me. There's nothing about this fragrance that speaks 'overly dated 80's scent' to me.

I find this fragrance to be very unisex. It smells very similar to a lot of fragrance's I have on my own wishlist right now, like, Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal and 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel.

Despite its obvious incense note, this fragrance does tend to have a soapy quality that is lovely and clean smelling, taming those sometimes harsh spicy notes. Obsession for Men is the kind of fragrance which is sexy and cuddly at the same time, two conflicting feelings in one bottle.

The sillage and lasting power are great, and at such an inexpensive price, I'm amazed that this isn't more popular than it is.

Carlitos01 174 days ago
Tired of browsing weak CK fragrances? Stick to Obsession oriental and spicy notes, very good blending and an above average performance.+2
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 9.0
Scent 9.0
Elysium 3 years ago
CK Obsession can touch you one time, last for a lifetime, and never let go till you're gone. I was fascinated by that scent and I'm even more+2
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 7.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 10.0
Jazzy76 71 days ago
Not a son of the minimalist 90es: it's opulent, rich, spicy, aromatic. Strong sillage and risk of addiction for women too!+1
Bottle 6.0

• by WiseOwl by WiseOwl
  • by FragranceFriday by FragranceFriday
  • by Maarten by Maarten

Popular Calvin Klein

CK One by Calvin Klein Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK Be by Calvin Klein CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Beauty (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein Escape (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Reveal by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Encounter (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Truth by Calvin Klein CK In2U for Her by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Sheer Beauty by Calvin Klein