Obsession for Men 1986 Eau de Toilette

Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Calvin Klein for men and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Obsession (Eau de Parfum)

Bob Slattery

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Coriander, Lavender, Lime, Mandarin orange, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Nutmeg, Myrrh, Clove, Pine, Rosewood, Red berries, Sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.05.2021.

2005 at the North Sea
Hello everyone,

the following text will be more of a short narrative of my thoughts and feelings about Obsession and less of a detailed review - if you still feel like it, I hope you enjoy reading it!

- - - -

In the summer of 2005, my now 81-year-old grandma went on vacation with my sister and me for a week to Cuxhaven on the North Sea.

I was almost 11 at the time and my sister was almost 13. We shared a small holiday apartment near the sea with our grandma, my sister slept in bed with grandma, I slept on the sofa bed.
It was the last summer vacation before I started fifth grade - I was a little anxious the whole vacation due to the impending change of schools, but had lots of things planned with my friends beforehand during the vacation and also a birthday in a few days, which I was ever so excited about.

- - - -

My mother is a state-certified beautician and worked most of her life in a small, privately run perfumery - because of this profession (or vocation), it is not surprising that she used to bring fragrances for my father, and later for my stepfather, which she liked very much... found these with the present no favor, I was quickly on the spot and picked up the respective fragrance.
Shortly before the above-mentioned holiday, my mother brought home a small, 30ml bottle of "Obsession" (how this came at that time, I do not know - the fragrance liked (and liked) in any case neither my mother herself, nor my stepfather, so that this wandered pretty quickly to "the little Sebastian" in the nursery), and which I of course HAD to take on vacation - there was no way around it!

- - - - -

With grandma on vacation we did many things together....
We went to the beach and in the water several times, of course, we went on a mudflat hike and rode in a horse-drawn carriage (with a smelly horse blanket over our legs) through the mudflats to a small island.
We went out to eat frequently and made dinner together at the apartment a few times. Of course, we also went into town once in a while, ate ice cream and strolled through the shops every now and then.
No matter what was planned for the day, I put 1... 2 spray Obsession on the neck and was accompanied all day by this sweet smell.

- - - -

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to that bottle after the holiday - I don't have a single memory of wearing the fragrance even once after that - but I always felt reminded when I saw the (to me, very beautiful) bottle with the golden contents sitting somewhere.

A few months ago I have looked through the offers of a perfumery and among other things this fragrance (and indeed a huge bottle at a ridiculous price) was advertised in it, which I then also bought directly for nostalgic reasons... and it will probably also remain with this aspect:

I have the fragrance in the colder months two... three times in my (work) everyday life applied and can not really make friends with him. Personally, I'm bothered by the strong tangerine-cinnamon combination, which wants to draw attention to itself directly after spraying (and which it also succeeds quite well).
However, I spray the fragrance still quite like times in the room or on my wrist - solely from the already described nostalgic aspects and my associated memories. Two things from our vacation at the time I remember directly when smelling this fragrance the strongest:

- several jars of seagull eggs (as a sweet in a screw-top jar with a little seagull figurine on it)
- my "Helmut Schmidt cap" (bought from grandma (and called so by her)), which I saw in the store at that time and absolutely wanted to have, because I was extremely fond of playing policeman and at that time the change from the green to the blue uniform was imminent.

For some years I live with in the house of my - now unfortunately quite ill and weakened - dear grandmother and I am very grateful for the wonderful time we had and have with her - but this fragrance will still be able to bring me to this time and to my grandmother, when this is no longer possible in reality - and so CK OBSESSION will probably forever be part of my personal "collection".

I'm going to venture into my mother's attic in a timely manner and see if I can find the hat and one of the empty seagull egg jars; maybe I'd put those somewhere along with the scent. ❤️

- - - -

Other, but also nostalgic, memories I associate with ZINO DAVIDOFF, COOL WATER and KTION MEN - maybe I'll write something about those sometime, too, maybe then with a decent review.

I hope I have nevertheless read with pleasure up to here and have not bored you thereby too much, then of course many thanks!

Many greetings
Sebastian
3.5
Bulky edgy fur coat. Way too much. Not for me
Heavy guns: jasmine, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. According to the principle "double holds better", which actually applies here. Obsession is dominant, daring, expressive, heavy. There is everything in it that smells somehow like the Orient. An intense composition. Strong sillage that drops to a tolerable level much too late. Durability: ditto.

I understand everyone who likes it. Or rather, I understand what the fascination and attraction of Obsession lies. I know what you guys like about it. Both from the factual description and the personal memories.

Personally, I don't like it at all. Sorry. To me, unfortunately, he comes across as:

- Loud.
- Intolerant.
- Intrusive.
- Embarrassing.
- Strikes out widely at everything in its vicinity.
- Yells things like "You're not supposed to have other scents next to me!" all the time
- Biggest threat to the other coats in the coat rack.
- The Donald Trump of fragrances.

Please continue to make these delicious spices into nothing but miracle trees, gingerbread and incense. That's where they belong. Or maybe still in the flavored fruit tea blend "Adventstraum" .

I can't possibly leave the house now. Have to take a shower and do the laundry first.

Salva
A scent that captivates my senses...
What does it mean to be obsessed with something?
Is it addictive? Is it being crazy for something?
Is it to be excited about something?
Is it a little dilapidated?

One can certainly paraphrase it with all these terms, but it is actually not quite that simple...
Just as it's not so easy to comment on a scent that puts you in a kind of trance... Often words are not enough, so you should just wear the scent and enjoy it for yourself... Or write a report every now and then...
[...]

Because they exist... Yes, those scents that transport me to another world... I close my eyes, smell the spray, and feel like I'm somewhere else, far away from the beyond... Some scents have this effect on me, I can't explain it...

This 'Obsession for Men' EdT by Calvin Klein is such a treasure. I find it magically attractive and incredibly aphrodisiacal. The naming and production of this fragrance seems to have been done by professionals, because if you can achieve such an effect with a fragrance, then I think that a lot of things have been done right.

I have known him since last year, but he really tested and impressed me recently.
Even though I don't like everything that is described as oriental-spicy, because some of these fragrances are too heavy and strong for me. But not so this classic from Calvin Klein.
Of course it is spicy and has an oriental chord, but for my nose in a subtle way and therefore incredibly pleasant, sensual, charming and seductive.

Right at the beginning I perceive the spicy cinnamon, which, with a few hesperidic notes like bergamot or lime, gives a >br /> fresh-citric verve.
In the heart, Myhrre unfolds its spicy character even further, with minimal wood tones in the background.
And in the base it attains its beguiling sensuality, which is produced in particular by the warm amber, the mild vanilla and the slightly sweet tonka bean.

Due to its composition it is best suited for the cold season, i.e. autumn and winter. I see him more in the evening hours, for example when going out to a bar, a café or even a chic restaurant with the better half, because he has this passionate seductive glow in him. Nevertheless, you can wear it just as well during the day - if you use it in the right dosage.

Apparently it exists for over 30 years, but I don't know its older versions. My bottle is from this year and its durability at least is very good. The scent stays on my skin for about 7 hours. During the first 2h it also leaves a bigger scent cloud, which I can perceive very well when I am outside in the fresh air.

Conclusion:
The name 'Obsession' is quite well chosen here and I am obsessed by the fragrance in that I don't want to take my nose away from the sprayer when I sniff it.
I am totally inspired by this mysterious, expressive and spirited fragrance. The warm charisma gives the wearer a desirable aura, which many of the fragrances I know personally do not have
An oriental-spicy fragrance with woody notes that I love to wear on cold days. Anyway, I don't understand why it is in the lower price segment. But that's probably the case with many classics...
Well, all the better for me..
And mMn it can also be worn by the ladies without any problems, despite the few spices. If you can handle spicy notes, go ahead, ladies. For me it is absolutely unisex.
[...]

Many thanks for reading it!
my new conquest
I boil soap in my spare time and had a Dupe, which I liked very much in the finished soap. A bit cute at the end, but there is something else that attracts me. I cannot describe it. Maybe the red berries.
These dupes are not 1:1 equal, but I risked a sample of the original.
By the warmth and sweetness (for the gentlemen m. A.n. already borderline sweet) this can become a great winter smell for me. With the temperatures at the moment I find it unsuitable. But in cold weather this slightly warm caressing could be very good. We will see

ScentSlave
This classic isn’t quite the same;
Not quite as durable as it once was. It smells much better on the skin than it does on paper, but unfortunately, the longevity is mediocre at best. Maybe 4-6 hours if you’re lucky. I love the scent itself, in every facet of it, it’s just that the projection isn’t what it used to be (maybe a 2-3ft radius for 1.5hrs), the sillage is rather soft, and as I said above, the longevity isn’t very good. Most of the Calvin Klein fragrances I have don’t have much longevity, and that’s too bad, as there are some nice scents in this line that don’t quite “go all the way”.
versatile attractant
Fortunately, it lacks the fruity soapy note of the other CK fragrances. Thus it moves also with me into the row of the, on appropriate occasions, portable smells.
The response in the ladies' world seems to be very good. He is certainly not the ultimate erotic nebuliser to be promoted as, but I hear and read predominantly positive feedback from women about this fragrance. It should therefore certainly appeal to the corresponding senses...
However not only with women, but also with cats ( interesting! ), as one learned from the press.
So you should be careful when and where you wear it. So this is nothing for everyday life, unless you want to be constantly followed by cats. And a visit to the zoo or a safari should certainly not be done with it. Some people like him to eat....
The ultimate attractant
Preface; Sorry - for a comment of a completely different kind.

I recently received an original sample of the fragrance and can definitely confirm that this is a beautiful fragrance; perhaps the best fragrance from designer Calvin Klein. An oriental-woody scent for men, with fresh essences of tangerine and bergamot, enchanting aromas of lavender, sage, coriander and nutmeg; as well as fine chords of sandalwood, patchouli and musk.

As far as the fragrance descriptions of my predecessors Parfümos are concerned, I can almost fully agree, but there are new findings about this fragrance. According to the advertisement, a fragrance with an arousal that craves for passion and is said to magically attract the female species Homo sapiens, but Obsession for Men can do more than that, because it magically attracts wild animals, especially cats of prey, as researchers and biologists discovered in an experiment about 20 years ago.

This fragrance was developed by perfumer Bob Slattery and fragrance designer Ann Gottlieb, who co-developed the perfume. She recently stated on https://phys.org/ that the fragrance contains a number of ingredients that are particularly attractive to some species - notably the artificial musk scent. She also stated that it is not an April joke or a PR gag. When it comes to the right attractant, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, pumas, jaguars etc. supposedly know exactly what they like. Scientists use Obsession for Men to get particularly shy cats of prey in front of the camera.

In the past, animal carcasses were used as a lure, but nowadays it is Obsession for Men, which is also very much to the liking of WCS employees for ethical reasons. Thus, the environmental protection organisation has succeeded in attracting attention with the news that cats of prey are attracted to the perfume "Obsession for Men" by the CK brand. As the WCS organization reports, the employees are using the perfume with great success to lure big cats into camera traps to make it easier to monitor the population of wild animals in protected areas.

In 2003, various fragrances were tested for the first time in a New York zoo with cats of prey by marking prominent stones and bushes. It was found that the animals reacted particularly strongly to the Obsession scent. Further experiments with different cats of prey confirmed the experiment, reports the WCS. Nowadays, Obsession has established itself around the globe as an attractant and is used in many nature parks to attract rare animals in front of the camera.

Conclusion: Anyone planning a photo safari in a nature reserve with big cats in the future should avoid this scent if possible in order not to become an object of desire of a big cat.

Sources:
- https://phys.org/
- https://www.wcs.org/
- http://www.wwf.de/
- https://centralparkzoo.com/

Obsession From A Different Corner
Obsession is a vintage CK male cologne that belongs to the past century and it was my first oriental fragrance, which I wore in the late Eighty when I was twenty-something and I went through two bottles of this after high school graduation, and I am still burnt out on it. I've recently found a bargain and bought another bottle of it and now it is part of my winter rotation. Just to give it a try I sprayed a couple of sprits on my skin and immediately I went back in time to that marvelous period of my life... George Michael "A Different Corner" is the song that came to my mind, although Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran were likewise hitting the top. A great scent then, and still smells just as I recall. One of the first things that I have always noticed about Obsession is its warmth and notes of spice. It is a rather complex and rich fragrance and unlike a scent such as Opium Pour Homme, its spice is less Oriental and more of a fragrant cinnamon bouquet.

This scent is really interesting because it also has some fruity top notes like tangerine along with some more subdued floral notes which lend it an earthy or woodsy quality. The warmth and the blend of herbal spice and florals lend credence to the fact that Obsession is a very nice cologne for the winter months. I think that it hangs beautifully in the crisp and cold air. Its longevity is average in my opinion, though, it can become overpowering when over-sprayed and have a tendency to permeate from clothing or skin.

In blending Obsession for men, I think that Calvin Klein's perfumers went to the extreme of blending an explosive combination of fresh citruses like bergamot, grapefruit, lime, and tangerine while harmonizing the flowery whiff of relaxing lavender, fruity nut, spicy aroma of coriander and warmth of cinnamon.
The heart is rich in colorful carnation with yellow jasmine, multi-way rose tree, and green pine, whereas the dry-down is muted by a warm aura of amber, benzoin, patchouli, and undertones of musk, sandalwood, vetiver, and vanilla.

Overall, I still think that this is one of the top fragrances by Calvin Klein and is simply a classic. There does seem to be a different formulation though with newer bottles versus the older version like it has become a bit weaker. I don’t know what the deal with that is but this can still be a good pick up for the right guy. Recently, we all noticed that our beloved vintage jewels have gone under some reformulation that makes them lighter and weaker than the original ones.
It is a mature fragrance for everyday wear and is also inexpensive, so those are some definite pluses that Obsession has going for it. This scent is so appealing and perfect choice for events in the daytime as well as in nighttime. On the other hand, some will feel that this cologne is strictly for the older set or has a dated vibe to it. You know what? I don't care. Is it awesome? Absolutely.

One of the most compliment getter on all occasions!

Drseid
The Calvin Klein From My Youth That Went Unnoticed...
*This is a review of the vintage version of Obsession for Men.

As I was in my mid-teens when Obsession for Men was initially released it is with some embarrassment that I admit to only trying the vintage version from my youth just recently, additionally not really noticing it on others over the years. The Calvin Klein release that I kept smelling back then (and loathing with a passion) was Eternity for Men... So with those unhappy memories of Eternity for Men coupled with my other failures with every Calvin Klein release I have come across, I forced myself to finally take a chance and blind buy a small bottle of the vintage Obsession for Men to see what I may have been missing all these years...

Obsession for Men (vintage) opens with powerful lavender before quickly morphing to its starring carnation and rosewood tandem in the early heart. The rosewood definitely features its rosy floral aspect that compliments the carnation while its woody facet grounds the composition. Joining the heavy woody florals is an underlying mild cinnamon and nutmeg spice combination that acts as further support for the woody floral accord while powdery vanilla from the base makes its way to join the party early in the late heart. As the fragrance enters the late dry-down, the powdery vanilla takes over as the focus, joined by slightly sweet amber and deep musk that replace the earlier florals, giving the composition a more warm finish. Projection is good, and so is longevity at 8-10 hours on skin.

The wonderful carnation and rosewood tandem featured in the early heart has a passing similarity to the heart accord of one of my favorite compositions, JHL by Aramis, but the two are dissimilar on the whole. Things get less desirable during the early dry-down as Obsession for Men (vintage) gets quite powdery; and when the powder combines in the late heart with the remnants of the carnation and rosewood it can be a bit too much at times. That said, once the floral aspects finally dissipate during the late dry-down the powder becomes much more tolerable and the composition is easy to wear again. The bottom line is Obsession for Men (vintage) has a lot to love with its fabulous carnation and rosewood early heart accord, but the later powder from the vanilla really ruins the effect to a great degree. Intrusive powder aside, Obsession for Men (vintage) is still a "good" to "very good" rated classic composition that earns 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5 and should be on any powder lover's radar as vintage bottles can be found relatively inexpensively on the after-market.

A Masterpiece
The best cologne ever, hands down. I've been wearing this since the 80s and it's my signature scent, although I've recently expanded into other colognes as well.

I've had no end of compliments over the years and never once have I had anyone say they didn't like it. Women seem to gravitate to it.

Do yourself a favor and get a bottle - then, you'll understand.

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 3 days ago
My favourite old school fragrance. It triggers some memories in my brain that make me feel nostalgic. It thinks its still wearable
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I ADORE it on me, not on other people. Best thing CK has released; an Opium for the gents, I suppose.
ElqwertyElqwerty 3 years ago
This was my clubbing parfume and it never dissapointed! Really fits in a dark environment or in the colder nights/days.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
Not a son of the minimalist 90es: it's opulent, rich, spicy, aromatic. Strong sillage and risk of addiction for women too!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Tired of browsing weak CK fragrances? Stick to Obsession oriental and spicy notes, very good blending and an above average performance.
ElysiumElysium 5 years ago
CK Obsession can touch you one time, last for a lifetime, and never let go till you're gone. I was fascinated by that scent and I'm even more

by Entenradio
by Columbus
by Maarten
by Maarten

Popular Calvin Klein

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Women (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein CK Be by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein Calvin (Cologne) by Calvin Klein Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria by Calvin Klein CK One (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Liquid Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Eternity Summer 2011 by Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein CK One Shock for Him Street Edition by Calvin Klein