Obsession for Men 1986 Eau de Toilette

Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Obsession for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Calvin Klein for men and was released in 1986. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Obsession (Eau de Parfum)

Bob Slattery

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot GrapefruitGrapefruit CorianderCoriander LavenderLavender LimeLime Mandarin orangeMandarin orange CinnamonCinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine NutmegNutmeg MyrrhMyrrh CloveClove PinePine RosewoodRosewood Red berriesRed berries SageSage
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VanillaVanilla VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.05.2022.

Akela
It smells nice, but .... poor performance
I bought this perfume again, which I knew was wonderful. But I was shocked at how much his performance was reduced. Please believe me that it has reached below the levels of Ferrari perfumes. Rain water. I throw three jets on my hair and after half an hour the one next to me can hardly feel it. I clearly don't feel it anymore. I'm sorry about him. But if that's the fate of all budget perfumes ... then ... I better buy fishing tools because I'm more earned !.

Obsessed no more
Obsession for Men is the perfume equivalent of an 80's soft rock ballad. Foreigner's Waiting for a Girl like You is a good metaphor of the anxious sentimentality expressed here. (The track came out five years before but it's still relevant due to perfumery's
peculiar temporal dislocation from other arts - an idea put forward by Chandler Burr - which does seem to have some merit.)

In my original review I wrote OfM is 'more than just a comfort blanket', now I'm not so sure. These days it strikes me as little more than a bitter sweet amber with herbs.
Not mine!
Not mine! The fragrance smells exactly what it is, a fragrance that has its best days behind it and has become unfashionable. A hodgepodge of everything that smells good individually but just not in combination.
I had bought the fragrance blindly, because it cost only 17 € and actually did not sound bad (cinnamon). When I had applied him then I had to go after a good hour shower and put on new clothes, because I just could not smell this fragrance longer. Too bad, because he gets otherwise quite good reviews and yes already has a bit of a legendary reputation. Well does nothing, as a room fragrance he works wonderfully!
2005 at the North Sea
Hello everyone,

the following text will be more of a short narrative of my thoughts and feelings about Obsession and less of a detailed review - if you still feel like it, I hope you enjoy reading it!

- - - -

In the summer of 2005, my now 81-year-old grandma went on vacation with my sister and me for a week to Cuxhaven on the North Sea.

I was almost 11 at the time and my sister was almost 13. We shared a small holiday apartment near the sea with our grandma, my sister slept in bed with grandma, I slept on the sofa bed.
It was the last summer vacation before I started fifth grade - I was a little anxious the whole vacation due to the impending change of schools, but had lots of things planned with my friends beforehand during the vacation and also a birthday in a few days, which I was ever so excited about.

- - - -

My mother is a state-certified beautician and worked most of her life in a small, privately run perfumery - because of this profession (or vocation), it is not surprising that she used to bring fragrances for my father, and later for my stepfather, which she liked very much... found these with the present no favor, I was quickly on the spot and picked up the respective fragrance.
Shortly before the above-mentioned holiday, my mother brought home a small, 30ml bottle of "Obsession" (how this came at that time, I do not know - the fragrance liked (and liked) in any case neither my mother herself, nor my stepfather, so that this wandered pretty quickly to "the little Sebastian" in the nursery), and which I of course HAD to take on vacation - there was no way around it!

- - - - -

With grandma on vacation we did many things together....
We went to the beach and in the water several times, of course, we went on a mudflat hike and rode in a horse-drawn carriage (with a smelly horse blanket over our legs) through the mudflats to a small island.
We went out to eat frequently and made dinner together at the apartment a few times. Of course, we also went into town once in a while, ate ice cream and strolled through the shops every now and then.
No matter what was planned for the day, I put 1... 2 spray Obsession on the neck and was accompanied all day by this sweet smell.

- - - -

To be honest, I have no idea what happened to that bottle after the holiday - I don't have a single memory of wearing the fragrance even once after that - but I always felt reminded when I saw the (to me, very beautiful) bottle with the golden contents sitting somewhere.

A few months ago I have looked through the offers of a perfumery and among other things this fragrance (and indeed a huge bottle at a ridiculous price) was advertised in it, which I then also bought directly for nostalgic reasons... and it will probably also remain with this aspect:

I have the fragrance in the colder months two... three times in my (work) everyday life applied and can not really make friends with him. Personally, I'm bothered by the strong tangerine-cinnamon combination, which wants to draw attention to itself directly after spraying (and which it also succeeds quite well).
However, I spray the fragrance still quite like times in the room or on my wrist - solely from the already described nostalgic aspects and my associated memories. Two things from our vacation at the time I remember directly when smelling this fragrance the strongest:

- several jars of seagull eggs (as a sweet in a screw-top jar with a little seagull figurine on it)
- my "Helmut Schmidt cap" (bought from grandma (and called so by her)), which I saw in the store at that time and absolutely wanted to have, because I was extremely fond of playing policeman and at that time the change from the green to the blue uniform was imminent.

For some years I live with in the house of my - now unfortunately quite ill and weakened - dear grandmother and I am very grateful for the wonderful time we had and have with her - but this fragrance will still be able to bring me to this time and to my grandmother, when this is no longer possible in reality - and so CK OBSESSION will probably forever be part of my personal "collection".

I'm going to venture into my mother's attic in a timely manner and see if I can find the hat and one of the empty seagull egg jars; maybe I'd put those somewhere along with the scent. ❤️

- - - -

Other, but also nostalgic, memories I associate with ZINO DAVIDOFF, COOL WATER and KTION MEN - maybe I'll write something about those sometime, too, maybe then with a decent review.

I hope I have nevertheless read with pleasure up to here and have not bored you thereby too much, then of course many thanks!

Many greetings
Sebastian
3.5
Bulky edgy fur coat. Way too much. Not for me
Heavy guns: jasmine, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. According to the principle "double holds better", which actually applies here. Obsession is dominant, daring, expressive, heavy. There is everything in it that smells somehow like the Orient. An intense composition. Strong sillage that drops to a tolerable level much too late. Durability: ditto.

I understand everyone who likes it. Or rather, I understand what the fascination and attraction of Obsession lies. I know what you guys like about it. Both from the factual description and the personal memories.

Personally, I don't like it at all. Sorry. To me, unfortunately, he comes across as:

- Loud.
- Intolerant.
- Intrusive.
- Embarrassing.
- Strikes out widely at everything in its vicinity.
- Yells things like "You're not supposed to have other scents next to me!" all the time
- Biggest threat to the other coats in the coat rack.
- The Donald Trump of fragrances.

Please continue to make these delicious spices into nothing but miracle trees, gingerbread and incense. That's where they belong. Or maybe still in the flavored fruit tea blend "Adventstraum" .

I can't possibly leave the house now. Have to take a shower and do the laundry first.

Salva
A scent that captivates my senses...
What does it mean to be obsessed with something?
Is it addictive? Is it being crazy for something?
Is it to be excited about something?
Is it a little dilapidated?

One can certainly paraphrase it with all these terms, but it is actually not quite that simple...
Just as it's not so easy to comment on a scent that puts you in a kind of trance... Often words are not enough, so you should just wear the scent and enjoy it for yourself... Or write a report every now and then...
[...]

Because they exist... Yes, those scents that transport me to another world... I close my eyes, smell the spray, and feel like I'm somewhere else, far away from the beyond... Some scents have this effect on me, I can't explain it...

This 'Obsession for Men' EdT by Calvin Klein is such a treasure. I find it magically attractive and incredibly aphrodisiacal. The naming and production of this fragrance seems to have been done by professionals, because if you can achieve such an effect with a fragrance, then I think that a lot of things have been done right.

I have known him since last year, but he really tested and impressed me recently.
Even though I don't like everything that is described as oriental-spicy, because some of these fragrances are too heavy and strong for me. But not so this classic from Calvin Klein.
Of course it is spicy and has an oriental chord, but for my nose in a subtle way and therefore incredibly pleasant, sensual, charming and seductive.

Right at the beginning I perceive the spicy cinnamon, which, with a few hesperidic notes like bergamot or lime, gives a >br /> fresh-citric verve.
In the heart, Myhrre unfolds its spicy character even further, with minimal wood tones in the background.
And in the base it attains its beguiling sensuality, which is produced in particular by the warm amber, the mild vanilla and the slightly sweet tonka bean.

Due to its composition it is best suited for the cold season, i.e. autumn and winter. I see him more in the evening hours, for example when going out to a bar, a café or even a chic restaurant with the better half, because he has this passionate seductive glow in him. Nevertheless, you can wear it just as well during the day - if you use it in the right dosage.

Apparently it exists for over 30 years, but I don't know its older versions. My bottle is from this year and its durability at least is very good. The scent stays on my skin for about 7 hours. During the first 2h it also leaves a bigger scent cloud, which I can perceive very well when I am outside in the fresh air.

Conclusion:
The name 'Obsession' is quite well chosen here and I am obsessed by the fragrance in that I don't want to take my nose away from the sprayer when I sniff it.
I am totally inspired by this mysterious, expressive and spirited fragrance. The warm charisma gives the wearer a desirable aura, which many of the fragrances I know personally do not have
An oriental-spicy fragrance with woody notes that I love to wear on cold days. Anyway, I don't understand why it is in the lower price segment. But that's probably the case with many classics...
Well, all the better for me..
And mMn it can also be worn by the ladies without any problems, despite the few spices. If you can handle spicy notes, go ahead, ladies. For me it is absolutely unisex.
[...]

Many thanks for reading it!
my new conquest
I boil soap in my spare time and had a Dupe, which I liked very much in the finished soap. A bit cute at the end, but there is something else that attracts me. I cannot describe it. Maybe the red berries.
These dupes are not 1:1 equal, but I risked a sample of the original.
By the warmth and sweetness (for the gentlemen m. A.n. already borderline sweet) this can become a great winter smell for me. With the temperatures at the moment I find it unsuitable. But in cold weather this slightly warm caressing could be very good. We will see

ScentSlave
This classic isn’t quite the same;
Not quite as durable as it once was. It smells much better on the skin than it does on paper, but unfortunately, the longevity is mediocre at best. Maybe 4-6 hours if you’re lucky. I love the scent itself, in every facet of it, it’s just that the projection isn’t what it used to be (maybe a 2-3ft radius for 1.5hrs), the sillage is rather soft, and as I said above, the longevity isn’t very good. Most of the Calvin Klein fragrances I have don’t have much longevity, and that’s too bad, as there are some nice scents in this line that don’t quite “go all the way”.
versatile attractant
Fortunately, it lacks the fruity soapy note of the other CK fragrances. Thus it moves also with me into the row of the, on appropriate occasions, portable smells.
The response in the ladies' world seems to be very good. He is certainly not the ultimate erotic nebuliser to be promoted as, but I hear and read predominantly positive feedback from women about this fragrance. It should therefore certainly appeal to the corresponding senses...
However not only with women, but also with cats ( interesting! ), as one learned from the press.
So you should be careful when and where you wear it. So this is nothing for everyday life, unless you want to be constantly followed by cats. And a visit to the zoo or a safari should certainly not be done with it. Some people like him to eat....
The ultimate attractant
Preface; Sorry - for a comment of a completely different kind.

I recently received an original sample of the fragrance and can definitely confirm that this is a beautiful fragrance; perhaps the best fragrance from designer Calvin Klein. An oriental-woody scent for men, with fresh essences of tangerine and bergamot, enchanting aromas of lavender, sage, coriander and nutmeg; as well as fine chords of sandalwood, patchouli and musk.

As far as the fragrance descriptions of my predecessors Parfümos are concerned, I can almost fully agree, but there are new findings about this fragrance. According to the advertisement, a fragrance with an arousal that craves for passion and is said to magically attract the female species Homo sapiens, but Obsession for Men can do more than that, because it magically attracts wild animals, especially cats of prey, as researchers and biologists discovered in an experiment about 20 years ago.

This fragrance was developed by perfumer Bob Slattery and fragrance designer Ann Gottlieb, who co-developed the perfume. She recently stated on https://phys.org/ that the fragrance contains a number of ingredients that are particularly attractive to some species - notably the artificial musk scent. She also stated that it is not an April joke or a PR gag. When it comes to the right attractant, tigers, leopards, cheetahs, pumas, jaguars etc. supposedly know exactly what they like. Scientists use Obsession for Men to get particularly shy cats of prey in front of the camera.

In the past, animal carcasses were used as a lure, but nowadays it is Obsession for Men, which is also very much to the liking of WCS employees for ethical reasons. Thus, the environmental protection organisation has succeeded in attracting attention with the news that cats of prey are attracted to the perfume "Obsession for Men" by the CK brand. As the WCS organization reports, the employees are using the perfume with great success to lure big cats into camera traps to make it easier to monitor the population of wild animals in protected areas.

In 2003, various fragrances were tested for the first time in a New York zoo with cats of prey by marking prominent stones and bushes. It was found that the animals reacted particularly strongly to the Obsession scent. Further experiments with different cats of prey confirmed the experiment, reports the WCS. Nowadays, Obsession has established itself around the globe as an attractant and is used in many nature parks to attract rare animals in front of the camera.

Conclusion: Anyone planning a photo safari in a nature reserve with big cats in the future should avoid this scent if possible in order not to become an object of desire of a big cat.

Sources:
- https://phys.org/
- https://www.wcs.org/
- http://www.wwf.de/
- https://centralparkzoo.com/

HanyolabyHanyolaby 5 months ago
Disappointing

The new formula has no sillage or lasting power whatsoever.
It lasts 1 hour with very soft smell.

should be an aftershave
JMWeedJMWeed 7 months ago
Just reminds me of an old folks home, I can’t bet over it, not for my liking at all.
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
Obsession for Men matured and as a consequence it became somehow recluded. For a taste of what was about, layer it with Obsession for Women.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 year ago
My favourite old school fragrance. It triggers some memories in my brain that make me feel nostalgic. It thinks its still wearable
TruckladyTrucklady 3 years ago
I ADORE it on me, not on other people. Best thing CK has released; an Opium for the gents, I suppose.
ElqwertyElqwerty 4 years ago
This was my clubbing parfume and it never dissapointed! Really fits in a dark environment or in the colder nights/days.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Not a son of the minimalist 90es: it's opulent, rich, spicy, aromatic. Strong sillage and risk of addiction for women too!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Tired of browsing weak CK fragrances? Stick to Obsession oriental and spicy notes, very good blending and an above average performance.
ElysiumElysium 6 years ago
CK Obsession can touch you one time, last for a lifetime, and never let go till you're gone. I was fascinated by that scent and I'm even more

by Entenradio
by Columbus
by Maarten
by Maarten

Popular by Calvin Klein

CK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein Obsession (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein Euphoria (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Women (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein Obsession (Perfume) by Calvin Klein Euphoria Men Intense (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Escape for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Obsessed for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Calvin Klein CK Be by Calvin Klein Calvin (Cologne) by Calvin Klein Eternity (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One (Eau de Toilette) by Calvin Klein Contradiction (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One Gold by Calvin Klein Amber Gold Euphoria by Calvin Klein CK2 by Calvin Klein Truth (Eau de Parfum) by Calvin Klein CK One Summer 2014 by Calvin Klein