CH Men (2009) Eau de Toilette

CH Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera

CH Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Carolina Herrera for men and was released in 2009. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesGrass, Violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesSaffron, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver root, Jasmine sambac, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cashmere, Suede

Submitted by Muenchner, last update on 13.03.2019

8.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10
Classy frag
This is a versatile frag and one of my favs. I never paid too much attention to the original since Privé is the one most people talk about but one day out of curiosity at a store I applied CH Men to a paper strip and for some reason placed it in my wallet for later (the dry down). When I opened the wallet later I was blown away.
This fragrances is very well blendedand balanced. Smells classy and works great as a signature fragrance or at least a dumb grab.

Love the grass notes
CH Men=New Version/Reformulated
per Carolina Herrera website on the newer version/reformulated of CH Men, for the notes

Top Notes
Eccentricity: Grass and Violet flowers

Middle Notes
Adventure: Saffron and Nutmeg

Bottom Notes
Savoir faire, passion and style: Vetiver roots, Jasmine Sambac, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cashmere and Suede

SOTD: Carolina Herrera CH Men New version/reformulated: As of 01/16/19

My simple review on the CH Men I don't have the older version to compare with, but per CH website I'm able to get the notes and it's reformulated from the older version, they took out the leather, sugar, bergamot, grapefruit, moss, woody notes and amber. See the top for the newer notes for the newer/formulated version of CH Men. I detect the grass, suede, vanilla and saffron from start to finish. Is a nice/sweet scent to my nose the sweetness of the vanilla to me is just right and not cloying. Fragrance is well balanced and blended. Great for date nights and night out events. Suitable for the fall/winter. Projection is decent I get around 1-3 hrs at the most, longevity/performance is above average around 8+ hrs. Overall is an 7.5/10. Is a must have and I will have this fragrance in my winter rotation

Rating

Scent: 7/10
Design/Presentation: 7.5/10
Value: 5/10
Longevity/Performance: 7.5/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around 8+ hrs
Overall: 7.5/10

7.0 6.0 7.0/10
a people pleaser
Right from the start I can smell the wood, leather, amber, moss and the sweetness of the grapefruit and the sugar. It's not overly sweet which is great in my opinion, the woody and leather notes are the main notes I can pick out from this fragrance making it a heavier cologne. The drydown doesn't change much for me, a bit more of the base notes but ultimately it just smells less sweet, it was at this point it started to smell like a generic, masculine fragrance to me as fragrance itself isn't anything unique or new, it's a safe, pleasant fragrance that is great for all day use in the autumn / fall season, for men of all ages. It will pull in some compliments because it is a nice fragrance, but I don't think it stands out enough to be memorable.
8.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10
N471v3
A convertible with red leather seats and mine in the front passenger seat;)
The most important short:
You don't have that scent? Buy it. Thanks to me later.

In detail. Intro.
--- The Greeting Song - Red Hot Chili Peppers ---
Drivin' around I've got my baby and my top down
Mary-go-round I ride you for my love
Throwin' me down in the backseat underground
I'm on the mound I make it for my love

CH Men was one of the milestones of my fragrance journey. One of those scents where you immediately know it is a great love and it will stay forever. A fragrance that I can recommend as a blind buy without batting an eyelid. My congratulations to the creators, a direct hit!

Carolina Herrera's PR department has also done a great job, because the image that is created with design and imagery perfectly matches the fragrance! Isn't it nice when the bottle and advertising create an ideal image that the fragrance can really hold? It's not always like that.

How does CH Men?
As Val said, the fragrance is very reminiscent of Rocha's Man. Cotton candy sweetness and slightly woody opponents, which make the whole thing more masculine, permeate the whole fragrance,- from the head to the base notes.
Only where Rocha's coffee notes bring a main player into the game who makes it even more masculine,- CH Men does this with the beautiful leather note. The sweetness that goes with it, which is really well interwoven with the leather, reminds me of red leather seats in an older car. Really soft and smooth leather (rough leather would be for me e.g. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather).

CH Men manages to draw a beautiful bow for me, between masculine, gourmand, sweet, individual, and so aesthetic and beautiful that most people would probably like it.

About performance and batches.
At that time, I was the first to get the current wording, i.e. 2015/2016. She swept me away so much that of course I MUST go in search of the Holy Grail and get vintage batches. Surprisingly, I think both versions have their raison d'être:
The new version focuses a little more on cotton candy, the old version more on the base and the leather. Paradoxically, I expected that I would like the old version better, which was not the case in the long run... The old version is leatherier, has more... let's say depth, but the new one is more interesting to smell and peppiger... maybe younger. The top note is more perceptible, clearer and more defined, which makes the fragrance more tangible for me.

I could imagine that the old version seems more impressive in the Sillage, more sensual because it has more "enamel". And the performance is a little better. Whereby also this has no muster-sillage... I "shower" with both when I wear it (approx. 6-8 sprayers),- at least when I go out of the house and want to have some more of it. In the first 2 hours it is rather racy and one is noticeable, but afterwards the smell becomes a < 0.5m aura, at least in the self-perception.

For lovers and collectors the mini iterations between the slightly different bottle designs are a nice collecting gimmick... you just want to have them all, like Pokemon haha (golden vs. silver cap, leather vs. plastic coating, red ribbon/ tie vs. logo below right...)
Pictures can be found in the following forum on pages 14 and 15, or I upload one here on Parfumo.

Oh, such a beautiful passion ((: Hope I've made whose mouth water;)

"Gooood feelings cooome to me" ~Greeting Song, RHCP
8.0 7.5 7.5 8.5/10
Charming
The bottle is different now. It has an improved outlook, all covered by brown leather, with little gold initials in the bottom corner. The new bottle has a gold cap.
As for the fragrance: superb, indeed very pleasant... and Ladies do love it.
Decent!
A plushy sugar-suede fragrance, as much decently put together as completely dull. I surely get why young fellas like this – it is sweet, safe, inoffensively and uncreatively pleasant, long lasting and with a bold linear projection. Nothing really leathery here, just a sort of mild and smooth vinyl-PU suede kind of leather note topped with something sugary-plummy, a hint of citrus and an unremarkable artificial woody base accord (on the smooth-sweet side). Cheap, but decent. The ideal “club scent” in the same league of YSL La Nuit de l’Homme and that type of “bro” fragrances showing no points of interest for fragrance enthusiasts, just a well-engineered aromatic tool specifically aimed at contrasting body odours and picking up undemanding one night stand partners. Uselessly nice bottle with a real leather label – the only good leather smell you’ll get out of this.

5,5-6/10
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10
Avoirdupois
A little too sweet for me to use daily, but a terrific cologne.
Woody, leathery, mossy, with a very sweet, sugary start. Decidedly a heavyweight man's cologne, with great appeal to the ladies I'm told. No, it's not unique (meaning one-of-a-kind), but it is an unusual and important scent, one you should consider seriously. Perhaps one of my top ten. Reach and duration are about average, and the dry-down is sweet & mossy, not quite woody which I'd humbly prefer. I suppose you could somehow sneak a few drops of Santalum Album and Oud into the mix (smile!).

The bottle is a little bit gimmicky with the CH hanging from a ribbon: that's a tad too fancy for my liking, surprising to find on a cologne aimed at the gentleman's market. I think some ladies would like to wear this themselves.
7.5 5.0 7.0/10
If He Wood and 212 VIP Men had a lovechild, this is what it would smell like
At first sniff I am strongly reminded of Dsquared2's original He Wood so I take a look at the notes. I see woody notes and violet. Well, no surprise there. Seems to make sense. A few minutes later I am reminded of something else familiar. Miaw mentioned this in his review as well, it's the base of 212 VIP Men. This is sweeter somehow but I agree with Miaw's findings on this, it has a more mature feel than 212 VIP Men.

To be honest, I don't find it very unique or groundbreaking. But then again, how many fragrances really are? I do like the scent, it is pleasing and unobtrusive. I feel that it could be a bit stronger in projectionbut due to its softer sillage, this scent is perfectly suitable for romantic settings.

The similarities to the above mentioned fragrances are much less after 30 minutes.
5.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10
Sweet and a bit heavy
This is more mature and formal than 212 VIP. Both them share a high level of sweetness, though this one has weaker lasting power and projection than 212.

Worth it? It's a good scent and if you find it at a good price, dont think, just buy.

Updated January 2014

Golcher 11 days ago
I've seen many people complaint this is a 'people pleaser' well I'm people and I'm pleased. You sold me CH Men and I love it+1
9.0
Bready 124 days ago
Amazing fragrance! I love to wear it daily+1
Carlitos01 12 months ago
This fragrance is a landmark. It even gets sweet compliments from bitter nuns.
it's a must have unless you care for a superior performance.+3
9.0
Elysium 17 months ago
"It's sweet but masculine and classy. There's something almost gourmand about it." Sweet? Gourmand? Well, on my skin it's anything but sweet+1

by Thizhy