CH Men Privé (2015)

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera

Top 24 in Men's Perfume
CH Men Privé is a popular perfume by Carolina Herrera for men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Lavender, Sage, Red thyme, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesWhisky
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Benzoin, Tonka bean

Submitted by Michael, last update on 07.04.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Justice Joslin, photographed by Mario Testino.

Nyamoto
Leather jacket? Leather. Jacket.
Some time ago I bought this fragrance here at the Souk and wanted to follow up all the good YouTube recessions. It was hard for me to imagine how a scent could smell so much like leather/manliness/whisky and co. and at the same time still playfully turn women's heads when passing by. And yes, I was proven wrong
After unpacking the Duftpost, a powerful splash landed on a test strip. The skepticism to spray this fragrance directly on the arm prevailed. Hmm, just smells like whiskey. With my growing experience, I knew that I should not put all my judgement into a test strip. Shortly after that a strong splash landed on my arm. After a short time the leather cracked and the inner urge grew in me to dig out my leather jacket, which I had stored for the winter, from the cupboard. A fragrance that exudes masculinity and has earned me compliments from some women. Combined with a leather jacket and a confident look, this fragrance scores all along the line. And that with an unbeatable price-performance ratio.

To the fragrance:
At the beginning the fragrance, in my opinion, appears somewhat synthetic. But this moment of shock should not deter you. The fragrance begins to transform instantly on the skin. The whisky and the leather are clearly visible. With me on the skin, especially the leather comes through clearly. Personal, who likes the scent of leather and who is usually out and about in suitable weather with a leather jacket, the ideal companion for going out or to do one or the other thing.

Shelf life:
Unfortunately, this is where the greatest criticism is made. A fragrance with a Bad Boy aura should do this for a little longer. On me the scent lasts only one or two hours and disappears as fast as it has transformed on my skin. Pity
Sillage:
After spraying on, the sillage is clearly visible. The fellow human beings perceive the scent clearly. Most compliments are given after application, although the Sillage loses its strength with increasing wearing time. Unfortunately also here, in connection with the durability, a point of criticism.

Flacon:
The lid and the closure are an eye-catcher. Without playing around with it for a few minutes, it is almost impossible to hold the bottle in your hand. I particularly like the otherwise simple design.

Is it really the smell?
I also work in retail at an airport and deal with many people from all over the world, including many female customers. Normally, my working day is like this: first I go to the supermarket, get food for the upcoming shift, then I get coffee and then I start my working day.

On an actually quite normal Sunday, this did not look different, only with the difference that in the morning I decided for a slightly different and actually also more unsuitable scent. Namely for the CH Men Prive, which is described by many Youtubers as a Date Night/Bad Boy fragrance. I usually wear typical everyday scents at work, such as Bleu de Chanel, Creed Aventus or Sauvage from Dior. On this day, however, almost all the female persons who were in my presence were much more friendly and actually started flirting. Even the cashier from the supermarket actually said hello to me for the first time :P

When the nice waitress from a pizzeria, where I had previously picked up my lunch, came all the way to my shop to ask me what kind of scent I was wearing, I realized many things...

Christian's endurance
It was warm nights in autumn to the inn at the village Rand.
when Christian came in, he was on fire.
He settled down, ate, drank, laughed But he was up to something private
So his eyes fell on the giggling Hilde.
The whiskey's too much, too late an hour,
he went over, took her by the arm.
And giggling, she fell for his charm.

He came close to her; "stop laughing!
I want to do dirty things with you!"

It was warm nights in autumn,
When Hilde's Bette creaks and cracks
But who can believe, Lord, Ohweih!
With Christian's stamina, it'll be over quickly.

Intense, but nipped in the bud Ashamed, young Christian crept home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------br /> Ch men privé is often described as the date fragrance and this fits like a glove, because for many women it makes the wearer look interesting.
This may be due to the fact that two opposites are juxtaposed here.
The clean, fresh smelling notes like grapefruit, lavender, sage and dirty, spicy notes like leather and whiskey. Tonka bean gives the whole thing a certain mass suitability.
The whole thing plays together perfectly m.M.n. and makes sure that Ch Men privé smells like he smells: charming, interesting, but also cheeky, daredevil, a bit pushy.

The silage is enormous in the first two hours, the scent projects really passionately. But only in the first two hours, because then the shelf life decreases and decreases rapidly.
Pity, he really doesn't have any stamina.

I like to wear it myself when I spontaneously hang around in bars for a few hours. However, I exercise myself in more restraint than Christian ;)

More water than whisky
[short review]
What should we choose? Gourmet food or fast food ?...
Most of us like both those types of food and may sometimes make a whole meal with either one.
The same may happen with perfumes. There are times where I feel like a fancy strong niche perfume and some other times I just feel like wearing a "common" and not pretentious one.
CH Men Privé does not fit in any of those situations. It aims a high profile wearer but just does not deliver according to the expectations. This perfume had quite an amount of hype after its market launch (probably Jeremy helped a lot to it). This fragrance has been perceived as the CH Men heir, and to build upon its success. CH Men fans maybe hoped Privé to fill some of the CH Men flaws, namely the performance. The two fragrances are way different in terms of scent, so I don't consider Privé as a flanker of its ancester. They only share a disappointing average or below average performance. I rate CH Men Privé with an under average longevity for the existing notes. Even less impressive is its sillage and projection. Carolina Herrera usually positions its fragrances some market layers above the "common people" range of price and, currently, this fragrance sells for a little more than half of the price of four years ago.
The scent is OK even if a bit synthetic. The citrus-fougére-spicy opening is in line with modern elegant fragrances. In the heart, the whisky note is pleasing and it blends very well with the leather and the ambery sweet bottom notes. I like it and ladies like it as well, but it's not really pratical to elect this perfume for a night out and to feel the need of respraying a couple of times... well at least the bottle has a nice design.
Recommended? Not really because it's quite watered down, and the initial hype is gone now. Probably I would have a different opinion with an EdP concentration. I advice you to watch out for more expensive and enduring spicy sweet fragrances that may well be considered very good alternatives. Nevertheless currently this fragrance ranks in the 23d Parfumo position of fragrances for men... amazing! Many people probably got a bottle different from mine.
Hahahaha... it's the first time I give an advice for a more expensive perfume alternative :-)

Music: The Doors - "Alabama Song" (Whiskey Bar) - This music was selected considering a possible future existence of a CH Men Privé "Eau de Parfum" flanker.

Spice Whiskey
CH Men Privé starts with a grapefruit chord sweetened by benzoin and with a strong synthetic appeal, but it doesn't last long and very quickly turns into a whiskey spice mixture that I can't identify exactly. Unfortunately this whiskey does not smell for me very high-quality, but somewhat strangely lacquer-like. In the background I mean to notice woods and also some tobacco, although these are not listed at all in the fragrance pyramid. This scented impression lasts on my skin for about six hours with very little projection close to my skin. As it dries, the alcohol loses its intensity, leaving a mix of rough leather and tonka bean with the remains of the wood in subtle support. In this phase I feel the scent most pleasant.
Finally, I am glad to have purchased only one bottle here, because unfortunately I don't like the heart note at all.

Fast Fashion
How many times has this fragrance been praised in heaven? Especially among YouTubers the fragrance seemed to be a must on every party or autumn list about two years ago.

I've known the fragrance for some time now, but I've never really dared to write a comment. This was partly due to the fierce discussions regarding shelf life and Sillage, but also to my realization at the time that anosmia (also smell blindness) is not a fantasy.

A lot has already been said about the scent itself. He starts off quite potent and has a very spicy opening, from which I personally cannot smell the notes distinctively. Cardamom and thyme will be there somehow, I don't feel grapefruit and lavender so much now. However, the transition to the two main components of the fragrance, whisky and leather, takes place quite quickly. I would say that both share the heart note and the exercise into the base note is dominated by the leather.
A very nice smell, which I personally like very much. I can well understand the "Bad Boy Image", which is often addressed by the YouTube influencers mentioned above. My associations are leather jackets, cigarettes, alcohol and the color black.

Therefore definitely a fragrance for the evening exit. The target group would I rather estimate younger, because the smell is surprisingly sweet despite this nevertheless rather tart combination of leather and Whisky. When I first tested the fragrance I often had to get closer to the sprayed surface because of the bad sillage and durability and then I got headaches quickly. I would rather go for something else in my current phase of life if I were looking for scents with alcoholic and leathery notes.

That brings me to my next point, one that is the subject of heated debate here. The shelf life and the Sillage. I find that the fragrance has a very strong opening and can therefore very easily cause odour blindness in the wearer. However, I also maintain that the Sillage belongs to the somewhat weaker ones. Especially when compared to other leather fragrances, this one is a silent number. The shelf life of the ingredients could also be much better. The overall performance is therefore rather suboptimal, as the development is largely very close to the skin.

Is this due to a reformulation? I can neither deny nor confirm that. I only tested the fragrance a few years after it was launched, so I'm not sure which batch I have. I tested two: A bottling, which I bought in the souk and a sample, which I kindly received from User MichH (thanks again!). Both fragrances suffer from the same problems.

I therefore like to compare CH Men Privé with the concept of fast fashion, which has become very popular through brands such as H&M or Zara. At first glance, one sees an article that is perfectly situated in the contemporary fashion imagination and, due to the not so high price, moves to an impulse purchase. Only after a longer examination of the product one realises that the quality has to suffer from the low price and the fashionable surface. It should be said here that some products from these fashion houses can be quite high quality and I also own some, but they are not brands where a blind purchase will always be the same positive. I agree with Carolina Herrera. Whether it is the problems of CH Men Privé or the reformulation of CH Men, the brand is not consistent in the quality of its products. Of course, as with H&M and Zara, there are exceptions here too, such as 212 Sexy Men, whom I really appreciate. Also the women's fragrance Good Girl is very good.

Overall, I would say that the fragrance is very pleasant, but is not a buy recommendation due to the above factors. For alcohol scents I would rather recommend Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler or Jazz Club by Maison Margiela, because they offer better performance and are a little less sweet in the process. Leather fragrances are a completely different story and have an infinite range of options to test your way through. If you like the combination of sweet and leather, maybe Valentino could test Uomo Intense. It is completely different, but has a similar vibe in the finish.

Too bad, if he'd been stronger, I might have given him a different rating.

Emorandeira
Leathery scent with the typical synthetic CH vibe
I must recognize that CH perfumes have something atractive. I have used for year 212 VIP man for nightout, during most of my 20's combinig It with other perfumes like le male, black xs or ultraviolet. But i dont know what have happen to me that nowadays i find something very synthetic in all CH perfumes. It doenst Matter which one there is something un the background which is the same in all and that i dont like very much. And un this perfume i find the same. The smell is nice, very masculine, whisky and leather, very elegant and It has a good performance, but i feel this CH vibe which have bored myself and which makes me regret a bit the perfume. Thats why i give to It only a 7 being a good perfume, because although i reconigse that It could be a good option for many, this is just not for me.

One of my faves by FAR
If only the longevity were a bit better, It’d be perfection. This one leaves you PROUD, and you’d BETTER have the swagger to back it up.... it has such a vivid, seductive tone... your confidence had better be authentic, as no pretenders will be able to carry the ball with this one. The longevity is somewhat underwhelming however, going MAYBE 4-6 hours, with a projecting radius of about 3ft that dies in 2 hours maximum, along with the sillage. It is a dark and sexy tone indeed, it just turns into a skin scent rather quickly, so make sure you time your application properly with your date night in timing.

Golcher
combine it with a single malt and a leather jacket and you’re golden
A fragrance that single handedly made me an enthusiast.

This is what I’d call a “third date fragrance”. Very seductive, boozy and playful, opens with a nice cardamom and gives way to a intoxicating (in the best possible way) whisky scent followed by a leather/tonka/benzoin combo ideal for fall/winter evening. It’d be perfect if it lasted a couple more hours

CH Men Privé lives up to its reputation

Bernado77
English pub after 10:30 p.m.
There he is, the Bad Party Boy, among fragrances. It smells like a night of drinking, like a party for men and not for boys, like rye whisky and a gentleman cigar round, sweet like leather and tonka, bitter like grapefruit and masculine animalistic like leather. The scents play very well with each other. It has only one disadvantage, it is also something like the English Land Pub after 22:30 o'clock, just as abruptly as it is there, the fun also passes. The durability is unfortunately bad, maybe I had a fake version, but after 3 hours the complete scent was not perceptible anymore. Too bad

Emorandeira 9 months ago
Not my cup of tea. Good longevity and nice masculine scent but i find a synthetic note which i feel in all CH and makes me not like them
Golcher 15 months ago
Pair this with a good Single malt and a leather jacket and you’re golden!
DavidBraz 17 months ago
The DNA of the OG in the background with an accord of leather and a whisky undertone. I prefer this one because its not excessive sweet.
Carlitos01 2 years ago
I bought CHMen Privé to replace CHMen and YSL LNDLH due to performance issues. Now I have another fragrance with performance issues as well.
MrHonest 2 years ago
Sweet cardamom ashtray. Absolutely no whisky. Light and very appealing, with good longevity. King of the elegant generics.
Pietros921 3 years ago

by SAQIB
by AsgardHD
by AsgardHD

Popular Carolina Herrera

CH Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Herrera for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Chic for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Confidential - Mystery Tobacco by Carolina Herrera 212 Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Black (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera Good Girl (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera Confidential - Gold Incense by Carolina Herrera Carolina Herrera (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera 212 by Carolina Herrera Nightfall Patchouli by Carolina Herrera CH Men Insignia by Carolina Herrera Good Girl (Eau de Parfum Légère) by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera CH Men Grand Tour by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Men Party Fever by Carolina Herrera CH Privée by Carolina Herrera