Herrera for Men 1991Eau de Toilette

Herrera for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera
Bottle Design André Ricard
Herrera for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Carolina Herrera for men and was released in 1991. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Puig.
Scent goes well with Dunhill Edition (Eau de Toilette)

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Neroli, Rosemary, Citrus leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Clove, Pepper leaf
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Tobacco

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 09.11.2020.

Smellavision
D&G pour Homme's lesser known sibling?
Opening with a zesty and fresh citrus opening that dries down to musk, amber, cloves and lavender on a woody tobacco base.
Launched in 1991 this scent seems to be quite ahead of it's time - no oakmoss powerhouse here, but fresh and invitingly grassy, a little soapy and natural. It's sweet and the topnotes lend an almost floral feel to it. Brilliantly constructed. The curry notes that others mention elude me completely - what I do get though is a herbal sensation of the mediterranian (the closest comparison for me would be the original D&G Pour Homme), which others may experience as curry seasoning perhaps ?

Very pleasant indeed, but also a little shortlived - two hours of projection and another two hours of skin scent is what I get.
Overall, pleasant and classy IMO.
A dream in round
Not to let my own collection get out of hand is always one of my efforts. If I have been able to keep it in the single-digit range for a long time, I have been around and around 20 bottles for quite a while. The composition varies, sometimes even weekly. Even my financial controller for the budget has given up the fight in the meantime. There is buying, exchanging, selling, sharing, etc. Then you even have a good and very generous friend, who unexpectedly sometimes sends you a bottle. How can one ensure a puristic orientation of one's own collection?

I got to know and love Herrera for Men as a bottler at the very beginning of my perfume membership. When this was used up, my memory of this fragrance slowly faded due to a drumfire of ever new bottlings, samples, flacons etc. My quest for ever new discoveries, finding the one and perfect fragrance (you could also call it greed) was very successful. Almost every week a discovery like this opened up and was replaced a short time later by the discovery of a new "perfect" fragrance. In the last few months my memory of Herrera for Men has moved to the forefront, as if my brain was gently telling me to let it go by over-stimulating its olfactory centre, as I have already found THE scent.

Fortunately I followed this first gentle, later more and more conscious intuition and a real bargain, which was offered in the trade at that time, then completely suppressed the bad conscience. I must say that my memory was unfortunately mistaken. I must say, "fortunately"! Because Herrera for Men has not been saved in my memory as perfect as I feel it today.
This fragrance is so perfectly balanced, so round and harmonious, as I know it from no other fragrance. It is impossible for me to smell individual components in isolation, as they are so perfectly interwoven that they form a perfect unit as a whole. Until now I do not know of any other fragrance that is more pleasing. That doesn't mean that Herrera for Men wants to please everyone or that it comes off without a profile. The fragrance helps me to achieve a state of "resting within" by simply wearing it. This may sound more esoteric than I think, but this perfection in my nose is a guarantee of coming down, pausing and refuelling. At the same time, it drives me to step into the first row with this feeling and, freshly refuelled, to march forward. The durability is passable, the sillage and obtrusive, but present.

Why Herrera for Men has a niche existence, is hardly represented in our "Have I", wish or watch lists, although it is still in production, I can only explain through clumsy marketing and advertising. The fragrance has already been around for a few years and the attribute "modern" certainly doesn't stick to it (anymore), but today and in 20 years it is still very wearable and does not contain any musty flair.
Even if the term "masculine scent" has been the subject of some comments in recent weeks, which have been criticised by a few perfumers (m/f/d), as this is to be regarded as a relic from the pre-political correctness-era, I must dare to say at this point: "That's exactly what it is! Masculine. But gentle, warming, soothing. Men can be like that ?

Thank you for reading and please all get through the next four weeks and everything else that may follow.

SLBscent
Almost 25 years of pure...glorious smell!
Second day of January, 1995. I was a bit nervous, because it was the first day of work! I put the fragrance - Herrera Men - in the morning and i realized that the day was going to be OK! That fragrance gave me confidence to face an important day of my life. Since then, i can almost smell that frangrance in the distance. Great, great smell. I really think that this one´s a hidden gem of the fragrance industry. In my opinion, perfume lovers should have this in their collection. It is a complete fragrance...it lasts all day, it is strong without really being strong, it is gentle, but it is aggressive - in the right sense - when it has to be, seems naif, but with lots of character! The combination of all notes is perfect, that exhorts a comfortable sensation to those who use and sense of curiosity to those who smell it! It is really wonderful. A must have...

ColinM
Curry honeyed cigarettes in a bottle!
I recently acquired a current, allegedly reformulated bottle of this (all brown dotted packaging with silver borders) and without having tried the previous one, all I can say is that this more recent version smells really good for me. Nothing harsher or more “synthetic” than one may reasonably expect - and accept - within this price range; Herrera for Men is actually kind of classy, suprisingly compelling and really enjoyable, and also fairly creative for its era: basically a sort of really smooth, niche-like curry-scented tobacco scent with a hint of honey, some clean musk-lavender tone and the shade of a classic fougère structure. Lots of interesting nuances here, from something tea-like to a really balanced use of cloves (a note that 99% of the times I hate bad). What amazed me at the first sniff is how surprisingly close to tobacco this is – way more than other more praised scents that were kind of a disappointment to me to this extent (e.g. Aramis Havana, which is great but doesn’t remind me of tobacco that much; or inferior juvenile stuff like Michael Kors for Men – not to mention most of contemporary tobacco scents smelling like cheap candies).

Speaking as a long-time cigarettes smoker, I think Herrera for Men quite captures the aroma of a packet of cigarettes – not the raw, dry-earthy one of cigars, not the sophisticated, “humid-sweet” aromatic smell of pipe tobacco, but the mildly sweet, slightly synthetic, maybe pedestrian smell of common cigarettes. There’s lots of this tobacco here, tasty and realistic, together with cumin, a drop of citrus at the opening and something sweet-warm and slightly fruity, like honeyed amber and a bit similar to tea too (think of a grown-up macho version of Gucci pour Homme II), with a really clever accord of more “traditional” masculine notes (musky lavender, woods, geranium) that gives the scent a pleasant touch of “barbershop”. There’s also some really nice sandalwood here, joining the sweet-earthy side of the fragrance. A lot of names come to mind considering the different sides of this Herrera individually, but none would be really a comparison for the fragrance as a whole, as in fact Herrera for Men smells honestly quite new and unique to me. It’s surely a bit close to other early 1990s fragrances (the first Zegna comes to mind in particular) but there’s quite more going on here. The quality isn’t top-notch but it works really good, way better than I expected given that all other Herrera scents I’ve tried were utter crap for me. A bang for the buck if you ask me; it smells good, bold but classy, masculine as a Raymond Chandler villain, totally decent for the price.

7-7,5/10

Classic clove
I used this fragrance almost every day between 1996 and 1999. At that time i used to love this fragrance.

Lots of sweet tobacco together with cloves and a light sandalwood base. Classic and mature.

Updated January 2014

Carlitos01Carlitos01 1 year ago
Spicy, woody and fresh! An office king pleasant fragrance. It's a very safe buy for an "all around" mid/hot season manly old school perfume.

by WolfM
by Pharaoh
by Arlufkin
by Arlufkin

Popular Carolina Herrera

CH Men Privé by Carolina Herrera CH Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Black (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera 212 VIP Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Chic for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera 212 Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Good Girl (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera Gold Incense by Carolina Herrera Good Girl (Eau de Parfum Légère) by Carolina Herrera Carolina Herrera (1988) (Eau de Parfum) by Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy Men (Eau de Toilette) by Carolina Herrera Mystery Tobacco by Carolina Herrera 212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera CH Men Grand Tour by Carolina Herrera CH Men Insignia by Carolina Herrera 212 by Carolina Herrera Good Girl (Eau de Parfum Suprême) by Carolina Herrera Oud Couture by Carolina Herrera Nightfall Patchouli by Carolina Herrera Amber Desire by Carolina Herrera