Bellodgia (1927) Eau de Toilette

Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Bottle Design: Felicie Vanpouille

Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for women and was released in 1927. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Ernest Daltroff

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 13.07.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Fairytale Beauty
Caron was one of the first houses whose perfumes I explored and Bellodgia was my first Caron love--so beautiful I searched for vintage and current formulation, too. Both are involving, creamy carnations with a hint of spice--sheer masterpieces of fragrance, IMO. The vintage is a bit deeper, has more lily-of-the-valley I think, but both are really divine. This is a romantic perfume in which Carnation, Jasmine and Rose are ennobled and elevated by Lily-of-the-valley (support being the latter's best use, IMO, rather than starring). A single spice and classic base do the rest. Daltroff created it after visiting Bellagio on Italy's Lake Como, an idyllic jewel of a town full of history, fairytale vistas, and flowers. He had a genius for capturing femininity in scent and, to me, Bellodgia is his best. Wear it fully expecting a prince to come.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Classic Carnation
Before smelling Bellodgia, I had no idea that it contained one of my favourite floral notes, carnation. Perhaps I read it somewhere beforehand but I had quickly forgotten, so this fragrance served as a nice surprise.

Like most Caron fragrances, Bellodgia has that distinctive classic appeal. While wearing this fragrance, you are guaranteed to feel elegant and refined, almost like a Queen decked out in an array of exquisite jewels.

The carnation accord is rather strong, supported by the smallest hint of heavenly jasmine. Essentially, Bellodgia is the scent of a beautiful woman. All women should feel compelled to try it.

Although quite floral and powdery at first sniff, an additional element of spiciness, (provided by the cloves and vanilla), prevent Bellodgia from becoming too predictable. I like this surprisingly sensual twist, as I believe it adds some extra appeal.

It's a little similar to Fragonard's Billet Doux, but perhaps a tad more intense and thick. In that regard, I can only advise that Bellodgia be applied with a light hand. I don't find the sillage 'too much', but then again, I love all the heavy hitters.

The lasting strength is wonderful. On clothes and coats, it remains a constant reminder of your last wearing. Even though I haven't had the opportunity to test the vintage formulation, this newer version is certainly not ordinary. I highly recommend.

Originally written: July 10, 2012.
10.0 2.5 5.0 9.0/10

A Sultry Carnation From An Era Bygone
This was probably my first non-mainstream perfume and it also laid the foundation of my perfume addiction. I acquired a flacon of the EdT from local amazon where Carons were hilariously cheap due to sellers' ignorance, and plunged headfirst into online research of the house. Thus I stumbled upon Basenotes, and I suppose you can guess the rest. I've read so much rant about my sweet Bellodgia since! The humble two stars from Tania Sanchez (whose opinions I have thankfully learned to take with a generous helping of salt)... the whole ordeal about it being an altogether different formula than the vintage... all the way to the unforgettable comment from someone at another perfume site implying that Bellodgia smelled like smoked sausage!
Seriously?!?
And yet my love persevered. I loved the sensory assault of cloves, pepper and carnation that had almost made my eyes water upon the first several applications, but, with time and learning, has gone from "just suffocating me a wee bit if I got too trigger happy" to pure unadulterated bliss of a topnote. I adore the soft creamy vanilla-and-sandalwood cushion upon which those carnations rest. I like the pronounced lemony geranium in the heart, so lifelike, so redolent of the red and pink plush-leaved flowers on my grandma's windowsills, so balsamic it tiptoes on the line of medicinal. And finally, I'm smitten by the heavenly drydown. A featherbed of the warmest, darkest vanillic powder. Musky, creamy, and spicy, it melts into the skin until it's completely blended and claimed as the body's own, a skin scent magnified beyond mere sensuality.
This must be what the mysterious, cheongsam-clad Dragon Ladies of Shanghai's demimonde looked and smelled like to their bewildered and bewitched western lovers at the turn of XX century.
7.0/10

Warm & dry, spicy carnation ~ A classic
Bellodgia is a classic scent that will seem dated to some but will be exactly what a fragrance should be to others.

Bellodgia is a warm, spicy carnation & rose fragrance on top of a creamy vanillic, woody and slightly musked base. I sense some powder, although I wouldn't call it dominant. Rather than powdery, I'd characterize the scent as dry.

Contemporary Bellodgia is light & bright rather than dark. On some occasions I get an aldehyde blast at the opening, on other occasions not so much. I'm not so sure why the aldehydes are so variable on me but the aldehydes are definitely present, some times more than others, and help bouy the florals. White florals are barely present too and by no means oppressive, and that's coming from someone who tends to avoid white flowers.

Bellodgia is a very nice fragrance for Fall, as we transition from warm weather to cold weather, although I think it could be a year-rounder for some. I'd call it this a floriental because it lacks the heavy spices and amber base that we typically associate with orientals, yet it's not a straight up floral.

Bellodgia wears fairly linear on me. The EdP lasts a good 5-6 hours, retaining a bit of spicy cloves throughout the wear. The sillage is amazing and more than a couple sprays is too much for others around me.

I've got the contemporary rendition, purple NIB at a price so low that it's almost embarrassing to mention. It's a safe blind buy for lovers of carnation & classic scents but for all others I'd recommend sampling first.

by ChapeauClack
by Somebody
by Hufing
by Hufing

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (1960) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Lady Caron (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Sport by Caron