Le 3ᵉ Homme 1985 Eau de Toilette

Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1985. The scent is spicy-green. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance. Pronunciation

Richard Fraysse

CorianderCoriander
LavenderLavender
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 19.07.2021.

The Charming Antagonist
If you want to draw any comparison between the current formula and the classic film with the similar name, then let that be one way to summarize it.

Current formula is a pleasant lavender and clove scent with a citrus opening. Longevity is at least six hours with only a few sprays, but your mileage may vary depending on your sprays. It projects at arms length, which is wide enough for the wearer and anyone near them to smell this scent for what it really is.

Not many people appreciate the smell of clove and that can be a problem. This fragrance is for any man who appreciates the smell of clove. Suckers may be lured into believing this is all about the fruity opening or the pleasant lavender unaware that this Harry Lime of a scent deviously dries down to one powerful clove scent.

Yes, the scent was named-so due to the fact that it is Caron's third masculine fragrance. However, many still bring up the film and may forget that the titular character was the antagonist.

Me? I wear it for the clove.
Spectrum
Munich, early 90s, on Maximilian Street between Kammerspiele and Ring was me in a very small perfumery Caron's Troisième Homme to the heart. At that time I was very fond of Joop's Homme and the saleswoman took pity on me to free me from this heliotropin hell and told me to try this Caron. She pressed a miniature into my hand. Since then Le Troisième Homme smells like Troisième Homme to me, a dissection in components is impossible, I always perceived the perfume as 1. androgynous and 2. floral-powdery, and 3. closed and endlessly elegant. When I strolled down Avenue Montaigne a few years later to Caron's phenomenal 'corner store' - sadly no longer there, it's now Baby Dior or something equally tasteful from the LVMH portfolio, Le Troisième Homme gave me a glimpse into the Caron universe. The store was so tiny that the employee was mostly in the basement and it appeared through the shop windows from the outside ghostly empty.

Le 3ème Homme was Caron's third fragrance for men, and that's the only way I can read the title. Associations with Carol Reed's brilliant film: zero. The original packaging of Le 3ème Homme was adorned with artwork by Yaacov Agam, several spectra divided into different gradations in Agam's signature Op-Art grid. These sat on top of another, but infinitely variable, spectrum. Perhaps the more apt visualization for the perfume: highly structured, and at the same time infinitesimal, all-encompassing, nebulous. Although I find the old bottle in dimension, color and detail, as well as the aforementioned packaging far more appropriate for such a work of art, the fragrance has survived the move to the currently available 125ml bottle quite well. Fingers crossed that it remains in the range, even with the new change of ownership. Why Caron advertised it as 'Le Parfum des Ultras', however, is beyond me. The scent of the monarchy supporters at the end of the 19th Jhdt or extremists of the 80'er years?
Farneon
"The Third Man" a transitional child from the 80s! "Bridge Scent" instead of "Bridge Lockdown"! ;-)
Well, it's partly wonderful to read how much the reviews here refer to "The Third Man", the b/w movie classic from 1949. The fragrance, however, was created about 35 years later and is now also over 35 years old. So you could say: He just celebrates half-time! :-)

At least in terms of "half-life" he is very persistent and I would like to make here no partly aberwitzigen bridges to the Viennese sewerage or Orson Welles personal fragrance. Quite pragmatically I state that here - as with many other fragrances from the 1980s - an olfactory bridge is built to modern times.

"Le 3ᵉ Homme" moves olfactorically somewhere in the neighborhood of "My spicy citrus power beats your mossy lavender soap by far!" ;-) The third man is not badly chosen as a name because this EDT tries to combine the best of man 1 (that very same post-war policeman) and man 2 (a kind of Miami Vice-verse). Unfortunately, Man 2 has also been around for more than three decades now ....

I like many 80s fragrances, even if I can do nothing with the fashion of that time and there are the best of it only as Dupes to buy. Probably because just those bridges were built, which picked up the young masculinity, without completely neglecting the good old school. According to the motto "Everything comes back" but today some oldschool fragrances are experiencing a renaissance again thanks to the barbershops.

Let's get to the real thing: "Le 3ᵉ Homme": Even if the ingredients seem anything but original, the overall fragrance is nevertheless. Perfectly crafted, everything blends into an overall construct that is indeed unmistakable. I always admire something like that, especially in the present day, when even Guerlain smells like Rabanne or YSL like Lacoste.

Will say: I am grateful for a kind of originality that is hard to find today. Unfortunately, this overall construct is not really mine, which then again is a matter of personal taste. Lavender and oakmoss are just not my preferred scents and the so-called green is not my preferred aura. Who likes it, who is happy!

Almost
After a few wears, I'm still on the fence with Le Troisième Homme. Each time I had a slightly different experience. Here's a few things that I picked up so far.

Le 3e Homme is often described as a floral masculine. That alone put this fragrance on my radar. I already own Pour Un Homme de Caron and I find that an okay scent with great versatility. So when I read comments on the amounts of oakmoss in this one, I had enough reasons for a blind buy.

In the opening I get orange citrus sometimes. And sometimes it goes straight to the lavender. A very similar lavender note to the one in Pour un Homme, where it is all over the place. In Le 3e Homme the lavender is more toned down, more balanced I guess. On a few occasions I didn't pick up any lavender at all. I couldn't find any distinct floral notes either.

I do get a bit of coumarin. Not sweet, but bitter and there is something burnt. Not sure if that’s the coumarin as well. Then pretty soon the cloves come through and take the upper hand. They stay dominant for quite a while. So far so good. And then.. YES! The oakmoss, good old oakmoss! In generous amounts indeed. I assume it is an oakmoss substitute, but nevertheless very pleasant to my nose and exactly what I needed!

But.. The oakmoss is not alone. It is accompanied by what I perceive as "Tolu balsam" (Benzyl Cinnamate), which gives a balsamic quality with a certain vanillic sweetness. Although, it does seem to give the perfume "body", I easily get tired of Tolu and find it cloying, unnecessarily sweet. The thing is, I don't always perceive a significant amount in this perfume. But when I do, I wish it wasn't there. It seems that in outdoors settings I get a more mossy feel. Maybe temperature plays a role here.

Performance-wise no complaints. This perfume lasts a good working day and is radiating modestly. In the early stages the scent seems to disappear from time to time, just to reappear in a slightly different form.

My overall impression is 'mature' and 'spicy green' towards 'fougère' rather than ‘floral’. I can imagine youngsters will pass on this. Personally I enjoy these characteristics. If only that balsam sweetness wasn't there, this would have been my everyday winter scent.

Big Fish in a Small Pond
If you want your perfume to make a big splash, launch it on a small pond. And there aren't many smaller ponds than the masculine floral.
Third Man is a white floral fougère,* with a gritty overtone and powdery amber rising from the base. There's not much to it really, making it suitably simple - but still 'daringly' floral for a masculine.
It's nicely done but it gets a bit sweet by the end.

3*+

Part FB, bought second hand

* Fougère : Michael Edwards - Fragrances of the World
FvSpee
CoViD comments, seventeenth play: Kim Wilde.
The crisis, with its extended stays at home, is leading to the fact that long periods of lying still are being tackled. So today a commentary on the "Third Man" of Caron, or, because that's how you can translate the label to the "Third Man of Caron"! Because this has been one of my absolute favourite fragrances for a long time, but nevertheless it has always remained a statement (the same applies to Bal d'Afrique, by the way; but maybe it will be next...).

Why no long version so far? Probably also because this scent is hard to grasp and difficult to describe. If one reads through the comments and statements, everyone seems to perceive it differently. This is not an industrial accident, because this Caron opens up large open spaces and interpretation areas. It's not based on a cliché, it stands for itself (that's the great perfume-making art) and it really has a very mysterious, open, undefined aura (that's the great perfume-making art).

Le 3e homme was published exactly in the middle of the 80s. It is anything but one of the typical powerhouse fragrances, no Magnum (and by that I don't mean ice cream), no green fougère spice monsters, nothing of aftershave, nothing of uninhibited masculinity. And yet this fragrance radiates an 80s aura, one of finest synthesizer artificiality and above all androgyny. This is Boy George with "Do you really want to hurt me", David Bowie with "China Girl" and, coming from the other side of the gender spectrum, Kim Wilde with "You keep me hanging on"; all songs that have been released in close temporal proximity to "The Third Man". Thus he is not superficially sexy or sensual; however, he has his very own eroticism of a mysterious aloofness, a brightly illuminated plastic world, a very physical incorporeality
If I could try a classic description of the fragrance: Despite the citrus triad, which appears hyperclassic on paper, this fragrance has no top note at all, and certainly none of carefree, free-floating citrus freshness. These notes may be present somewhere, but are compactly built into the machine. In a way, the same applies to the base. The heart, however, can be identified, and I recognize it today (unlike at the time of my statement) as classically dual: This is a lavender-clove fragrance, just as "Pour un homme" is a lavender-vanilla fragrance. When you smell good, you smell lavender and clove very good, and yet (that's why it's a work of art) it doesn't smell like lavender water or Old Spice, but rather very different and unique. "Le 3e homme" is for me very, very bright; friendly, but also very mysterious (like a good alien), distinguished, crystalline, a little unreal-dreamy, but at the same time wide awake.

For the name, as for the fragrance itself, there are 9 points. It is supposed to allude to the fact that this was the third men's fragrance by Caron (very likeable, only 3 men's fragrances within 50 years!), as well as to a (of course, superficially seen, completely wrong, and therefore also ingeniously right, because the fact that nothing opens and "is right" characterizes this fragrance again) trail to the film "The Third Man"
With this Caron, many, if not all, of the scents are right for me, which is why it is one of my most worn scents: The actual scent is fantastic, but also the durability and projection are very, very remarkable (without being brutal and obtrusive). By the way, the price is right (under 100 Euro for 125 ml) as well.

If I have hesitated for so long, it is not only because this fragrance is so difficult to describe, but also because it is already so excellently commented. Because there are already many great reviews of the third man, but I want to highlight one of them. I joined here so late that I didn't manage to subscribe to Seelanne anymore. He wrote his last comment here about 3 years ago, before he unfortunately fell silent on Parfumo, and that was his comment on this fragrance. This comment is really excellent, much better than mine, and I highly recommend it for additional reading. It was inevitable for me to repeat some of it (I hope it's not plagiarism, but simply the same feeling).
0.5

For the Retirement Community Set
With all of the rave reviews out there on the internet I picked up a bottle of this. Terrible, terrible fragrance and an utter waste of dresser space. I have a very strong stomach and this stuff nauseated me. A woman I am dating told me to wash it off immediately.

I like a lot of macho, stronger, classic scents from decades past (Hugo Boss No. 1, Azzaro, Paco Rabanne, etc.), so that's not my issue with Third Man. It's in a special category of terrible all by it's lonesome, and I can't see it being used for romance unless you are trying to chase down old ladies in a nursing home.

Le 3e Homme Review
The first Caron I ever added to my collection and one that probably doesn't get discussed as much as its masculine predecessors, Pour Un Homme and Yatagan. Here is my video review for this 1985 release, thank you for watching.

The gland of Zibet
....is not the sequel to "7 years in Tibet" or the compendium of the Association of German Proctologists and certainly not the latest blockbuster from Uhse....
The idea to deal with the butt of a cat against the background of the extraction of animal smell substances or attractants probably only comes from humans. Zibet, which originates from the anal glands of the civet cat, has long been a common ingredient in perfumes. The main component of the musky secretion of the animals, which excrete even the most expensive coffee beans in the world, (droll that there are such a few rich idiots who actually buy such things) is nowadays synthetically produced.
Good for the cats - there were times when the poor critters were put into 45 degree preheated ovens to increase the yield of the civeton and then harvest the "whole thing" with a wooden spoon in a process called curettage. Place of action: Ethiopia.
We'll sum it up: Ethiopia is known for great coffee, smart cats making coffee beans, nimble anorexic young men and women competing in a monkey's tooth in an oval (and in the best case getting paid well for it) and zib concrete. Panem et circenses. First a Jägermeister or a Sambuca with coffee bean...

Third man. The intro makes sense because the Zibeton plays a not insignificant role in the fragrance because in the top note the Zibet strikes the office a bit in need of getting used to - that is to say: in about 3-5 minutes you stick to the backside of the cat and fight (due to the position) with a discreet gag reflex (slightly exaggerated). Everything not so bad smells but definitely something animalistic...
From our own experience we can say that the vintage version is really only for hardcore aficionados - the test strip obtained in a noble perfumery made you constantly wonder where this slightly fecal vibe comes from on your way home. It wasn't from the drunken visitors to the Volksfest who were redundantly present in the S-Bahn and stared at you with glassy eyes... Clear preference for the current version.
If the anal phase is over, you get a wonderfully powdery, carnation-dominated fragrance with minimal sweetness, which rightly received a 4 (or 5?) star rating from Lucas Turin. Well, the cat can do something. With a lot of imagination one could assume that Helge Schneider's "Katzenklo" is a coded homage to Le Troisième Homme.
Miao.

Not what I expected
The pyramid looks all wrong to me. From a 2015 bottle, what I get is a borderline case between an aromatic fougère and a leathery chypre. As I happen to love that specific mix, here are some observations.

Opening: Not much citrus nor lavender. To be completely honest, all I get is jasmin, Juicy Fruit and juniper.

As the heart uncovers, the strange synthetic fruit note fades (thank goodness) and we're in the same ball park as, say Paco Rabanne pour Homme or, even more so, Worth Pour Homme. The kinship with the latter is especially in the interplay between a fougère accord and smoky leather notes. Now that I think about it, not even Kouros is that far away. If you took Kouros and removed everything interesting (the artemisia from the start and the urinous, animalic civet & honey effect from the other end), you'd be left with Le 3me Homme, basically.

A floral masculine? Just about as floral as my ass. Not bad, but disappointing considering its reputation. There are several similar eighties' pieces I'll be choosing over this.

KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
The bottle I have (batch 22 12 801) is very weak in performance. It's not as brilliant as fame, but still sophisticated and beautiful.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
VERY elegant! Old school but not old fashioned. Very well blended spicy fragrance that is also a bit green and semi-fresh. Versatility king!
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
5.5
Masculine and old school with an opening blast of clove and lavender. For lovers of traditional spicy barbershop scents.

by IrisNobile
.... der mein Herz berührt ...... :)
by Habanita
by Sonic
by Bulentbc
by Bulentbc

Popular Caron

Tabac Blond (1919) (Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Millésime 2014 by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron En Avion (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Farnesiana (2017) (Parfum) by Caron Poivre (Extrait de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (2011) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pois de Senteur / Les Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi (Parfum) by Caron Or et Noir (1949) by Caron Rose (1949) by Caron Narcisse Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron