Montaigne (2007) Eau de Parfum

Version from 2007
Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron

Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Caron for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-spicy. It was last marketed by Alès Groupe.

Richard Fraysse

Jasmine, Bitter orange, Coriander, Mimosa, Jonquil, Mysore sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 29.06.2019

10.0 10.0 10.0 9.5/10

Sunny Mimosa and Sandalwood-- Montaigne
Caron leaves the darkened melancholy of their famous mousse de saxe base and steps into modern times with Montaigne. A rich woven tapestry of notes that is warm and sunny, rich and thick with the spicy tangerine and a sophisticated cassis, jasmine and mimosa hugged by the ever present sandalwood and amber.

This is a mimosa lovers dream. Its full, thick mimosa and narcissus. Little bit of jasmine, sandalwood and amber to round this one out. Its vintage grand style, doesnt change all that much. Over two sprays youd find yourself covered in its thick syrup and much too much for anyone. Decadent and rich. No thin synthetics here. A yellow floral lovers dream. This is sunny and approachable, yet, protective and impenetrable.If you love First,CoCo or Bal V..this should work for you. A unique floriental gem. 1.7 edp reviewed.
10.0/10

Very Moreish
This reminds me of Bitter orange drizzle cake. The sponge made with good quality butter, eggs and vanilla, dense and yummy. Then flavoured with a syrup of bitter Seville oranges, which prevents it from becoming sickly. Quite addictive and delicious.
7.5 7.0/10

Modern Vintage
What I like about this composition is its complexity, quality and how the scent unravels when interacting with my skin. On the other hand this is not an easy to wear composition for me as I do not have strong affection for vintage-style composition. And this one certainly smells vintage to me even though it was created in 2007. Those who love modern gentle fruity floral scents with a clean feeling of just-out-of-the-shower run away from this scent. But those, who appreciate complex and classy compositions, come close and give it a try, but not from the bottle, for this scent needs warmth of the skin to unveil its lovely composition. There is something about this scent that I find timeless and classy, like finding an elegant piece in an antique shop. It seems to be out of place in a modern chaotic world, and yet it is something that I am drawn to and want to take time to experience.

The initial blast to my nose is a bit strong with sharp loads of coriander, aldehydes and bitter orange. The jasmine note gives it a bit of indolic quality. Not my cup of tea. But then the scent goes through number of transformations on my skin, which is true with most of Caron scents I have tried so far. The coriander is still going strong but then the bouquet of narcissus and mimosa comes to light. The narcissus note is green and cool while mimosa is sweet and powdery. Nice counter-balance of two floral notes. As the time progresses the scent becomes softer and warmer. It seems to radiate from the skin in a pleasant and comforting way. The woody notes in the dry down are mixing well with the light vanilla mist.

Overall score is 7/10. Decent sillage and longevity. My sample is EDP concentration.
7.5 5.0 10.0 9.0/10

Late journey
I am very glad now anyway that I have given Montaigne a second chance.

After testing only I haven't coped with the head note at all. Luxuriant sweet beat contrary to me and I thought, this was it. It got weaker fast the rose smell, also not particular, the heart note, however, convinced me especially.
I decided to have passed for some hours.

This was absolutely correct!
At test no. 2 I cannot understand my previous impressions any more.
Yes, it is sweetish at first, however, the tasty notes follow fast and soothe off. The base note charms me.
I go to an unusual, exotically, elegantly sensory smell journey.
7.5 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

As Mercurial as the Self
The first time I applied Caron MONTAIGNE, I obviously overdid it—a common mistake that I make with the creations of this house. They are strong and can only be appreciated when sparingly applied. I also find that Caron perfumes are quite capricious, changing a great deal with humidity, temperature, mood, and who knows what else—to say nothing of reformulation!

Happily, when all of the planets are correctly aligned, the liquid inside my bottle of MONTAIGNE turns out to be a quite nice perfume, which was something of a relief to find for someone concerned that the great philosopher of subjectivity should not be maligned. In fact, on reflection, it makes a lot of sense that this ambery oriental should be as mercurial as the self, changing constantly in the face of new events and experiences. Given that the self attends to various stimuli on a fairly arbitrary basis, dependent upon a variety of other mercurial and random factors, my reception of MONTAIGNE should, too, be prefigured by all of the same.

All in all, I can recommend this perfume to those who appreciate thick orientals. To my nose, MONTAIGNE seems to contain myrrh and/or leather, though neither is listed among the notes. Perhaps the narcissus is very concentrated and combined with the coriander produces this effect. Whatever the case may be, this is a great wintertime perfume—but also appealing on a temperate summer day, I recently learned. Exceptional longevity and medium sillage. As the final proof that this is a decent creation, Emperor Oliver aka “Diogenes” aka “Nanook of the North” aka “Orson Wells” aka “Oscar Wilde” aka “Howard Hughes” aka “Houdini” (my cat) likes MONTAIGNE a lot. Which also, come to think of it, makes a lot of sense!

Discussions about Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum)

Scentimental in Perfume Recommendations

by Pipette
by Hufing
by Hufing

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (1960) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Lady Caron (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Sport by Caron