Nuit de Noël (1922) Parfum

Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron
Bottle Design: Félicie Wanpouille

Nuit de Noël (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Caron for women and was released in 1922. The scent is spicy-floral. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance.

Ernest Daltroff

Top Notes Top NotesCitruses
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrris root, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.10.2019

7.0 9.0 8.0/10

The turntable
"Give me your hand!" The little one pulled the even smaller one up, helped her up, looked stealthily down into the yard from above to see if her mother couldn't see either, and closed the attic door. The mother always complained when the little one climbed up the old squeaky ladder. And especially if she had the smaller one in tow... But the old messenger drew her, mysterious, memorable and treasure-chamber-like, like a magnet. They had already inquired about the front part, now they pushed themselves further between the boxes, big and small, old and older.

In one of these boxes, behind the antique brass floor lamp, they had discovered ES by chance. That would be a gramophone, the little one said omnisciently. Only it would be broken because he lacked the long 'Talking thing'. You could use it to play music in the old days. One of the old records from the same box was taken out, the needle put on the record. And - nothing. "What now?" The smaller one was impatient. Her forehead frowned, the little girl decided to start the concert by hand. Turned by her little fingers the plate moved faster and faster and squeaked, whimpered and howled under needle scratches. The little ones giggled cheerfully and sneezed from time to time from the whirled up dust. There she was all of a sudden. Short and sweet. And back again. Quiet voice. They looked at each other in horror and around. "It's the grammoding, it works!" said the girl and started shooting the record again. And then, behind the howling and the whining, there was a quiet men's tenor. They couldn't understand what he was singing about. Nevertheless, they tilted their heads over the plate, held their breath and listened to the long-winded tones. Dust slowly danced in the ray of sunshine that pushed through the small skylight, sank onto the wood of the floor and the lamp brass, pushed the roof beams apart and made the little ones dream in the middle of a big hall, decorated with flowers, illuminated with gold and sounded with music, somewhere in the 'Once upon a time'.

It's been a long time. Now me and my sister (no longer 4 and 8 for a long time) know that it was just an old record player and one of us irrevocably scratched record, which surprised us with the gentle men tenor and sent us on the "journey through time". I appreciate scents that do the same thing. Now I haven't known Nuit de Noël long, just for two years. You're welcome to wear it alone for me, at home, when I'm "ready to travel". Then he catapults me right back to the old attic. A classic, at that time usual, somewhat scratchy aldehyde start, whirls up a lot of iris dust, shines brass matt metallic carnation spicy, exposes his mossy old wood. Does not appear to be frivolous chypry or deadly serious soapy. In between, the flower heart sings, draws long tones, speaks an old language. Ylang and Sandel - the tenor and the music - a tried and tested, exotic-classical duet with still working magic. Has already worked in 'Samsara' and even more in 'Bois des Iles'. Here, too. As if one were suddenly standing in the middle of a large hall, decorated with flowers, with music and chandeliers bathed in warm sweet golden creamy light. Vanilla Happy... not like fresh young pudding, but in the old, almost "Guerlain style", serious, adult. And something fallen out of time, with that magic of 'Once upon a time'.

P.S. The only thing that could combine the fragrance with Christmas for me would be the box with the Christmas tree decorations on which my 4-year-old sister has sat down with taste.
9.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Smokey Whispers
The Nuit de Noel I am today wearing is the most recent Eau de Toilette (in the bottle with a current bun top and purple box with gold dots - from somewhere around 2008 - 2010 give or take a couple of years). I am frugal with this perfume as the Eau de Toilette is no longer made; only the Parfum concentration is available. From my fragrances Aromatics Elixir is most like it in character with Aromatics Elixir (from the 1990s) being far more dense, strong, longer lasting, and a touch herbal.

Nuit of Noel is the smokey whisper hanging in the room from an open fire, Christmas oranges and brazil nuts heaped in cut glass bowls for the children to dip into as they wait for tea; the dry sweetness of sachets hung between the curtains filling the room with rose, jasmine, oris; the scent of a single languid tuberose as it mingles with sweet wood; the quiet hours before dawn, happiness and contentment.

Yes, I am frugal with this one; I simply don't want to be without it.

Still lots of scent on my skin some 12 hours after application.
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A frame in time...
It's a freezing and dreary day. Not just every day however. It's Christmas Eve. And a proper one I might say, since there's a lot of snow around. And what's more, I got all lucky in my "thematic" shopping this morning. I stumbled upon a near mint antique bottle of Nuit de Noël in a flea market, complete with its jade shagreen case, tassel and stuff, and since I've always thought of it as one of the most elegant packagings ever made, I grabbed it without further ado. I guess that wishing it was full too, would be sort of pushing my luck.
With a solid piece of history in my coat's pocket, I think that having a couple of drinks while sniffing it wouldn't be such a bad idea on this cold winter day.
So, pretending that it's 1922, I enter an old bistrot in the city's most popular square, and order a glass of fine cognac.
From where I am, I can see a girl sitting on the stairs of a building's entrance, lying opposite to the bistrot's side windows.
A cascade of fiery red hair is bursting from her beanie.
She's like a torch burning in the snow...
She has placed her bag on the cold and wet marble and she's sitting on it. She holds a small paper bag in her hands and looks excited. I wonder what the cause of her exhilaration could be. I take a sip of my cognac and smile.
What she takes out of her small paper bag makes my heart miss a beat. I recognise the plain black-capped rectangular bottle. Or, to put it better, I recognise its label. She opens it and dabs a few drops on her wrists and on the sides of her neck. Now if this is not a coincidence, then it has to be fate signing at me.
Encouraged by the spirit of the day, I decide to be a little more daring than usual and find out which of the two.
...
"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."
Her amber eyes widen with surprise.
"What?..."
"Your Christmas Eve."
"What about it?"
I sway my bottle in front of her eyes.
"Hey! This has the same name, but it's so more beautiful and looks so old. What is it?"
"The grandmother of yours. Care to meet her?"
She accepts my offer for a drink. After all it's freezing outside.
...
"Oh my God... This is magical..."
Although the perfume is long gone, its soul is still lingering. And sometimes an echo can be louder than the sound itself.
She remains silent with her eyes closed for quite a while. Although I suspect where she might have been drifting, I ask her anyway.
"I was trying to imagine some of the hands that once held this bottle and some of the words that were whispered because of its content being worn. Anyway, my bus leaves in four hours. Can you stand me being ecstatic for this long, oh my noble stranger?"
"Noble stranger" is how we agreed calling each other, to maintain some of the mystery that is weaved with this special and magic day.
But in any case, I tell her that I could possibly stand her more likely for four years, if she could be that dramatic the whole time.
She smiles.
"OK, my turn now."
Although she has it dabbed also on her wrists, she lifts her hair, tilts her head, and invites me to sniff her neck. This upretentious and impulsive gesture warms my heart. But I guess this is what this girl is all about, warming people's hearts.
I go for the sniff, and...
I don't know if it's her gesture, the perfume itself, the surrounding festive atmosphere or any combination of them, but what I smell almost brings tears in my eyes.
I struggle not to kiss her neck, but it's my apparently cold nose tip that spares me the struggle, cause it touches her skin slightly and startles her a bit.
She steps back and sees my nearly teary eyes.
"Hey you dummy... Stop spoiling me! Do I smell that good?"
"You smell like the angels working in Heaven's pastry shop, while a forest wood fire is roaring in its fireplace..."
...
She won't stop giggling and laughing heartily for the whole three hours we'll spent together. She won't stop sniffing her wrists either. She looks so happy and carefree.
It's time for her to leave and catch her bus.
We walk outside and we stand for a while, staring at each other.
I don't know what to say.
She doesn't seem to know either.
She hesitates for a moment.
Then she leans towards me and with her frail hand tracing my cheek, her lips brush mine for an instant.
And by this fragile token of affection, I know that her scent will remain on me forever.
She turns her back and starts to walk away.
After a few steps she stops and turns her head back.
"I'm Maria!" she shouts, before vanishing in the crowd. I stand still among hundreds of people who are walking around me hastily. I light a cigarette and lean my back against a wall.
I close my eyes and try to imagine what she might be thinking when she went outside for a couple of minutes to buy a pack of cigarettes.
I close my eyes and try to imagine her surprise when she'll discover the flacon in her bag...
...
I hope you're happy beautiful Maria, wherever you are.
I never saw you grow old. I never saw you become distant. And you never saw me either.
Your icon remains immaculate in my mind, just like this little wonder that made our paths cross, that cold winter morning, 28 years ago.
Your laughter is still ringing in my ears.
And like a friendly and beloved ghost, you shall visit me once more this year, on the same day that I will allow myself a dab of the perfume that is you.
Forever young... Forever happy...
Forever my Maria from the Christmas of 1986.
My beautiful Maria of Nuit de Noël...

Ho, ho, ho
There was a television commercial for make-up that aired when I was young. It tried to sell the viewer on the notion that nobody would even know you were wearing make-up! Not too bright, I took this to mean that make-up did nothing whatsoever. I thought if nobody notices, why wear it? To this day, I’ve never understood make-up.

Nuit de Noel strikes me similarly. It smells identifiably ‘perfumey’ yet on the level of perfume, it comes off as forcefully non-descript----intentionally under-recognizable. It is a soft chypre, soft like a seat-cushion filled with marshmallows. It doesn’t evolve over time so much as it fades into the skin. Once on the skin, though, it doesn’t disappear. It gives the impression of of something ostensibly hidden but easily found. It’s the person playing hide and seek who heads for the nearest tree, then hides behind it, peaking out often to see what’s happening.

Low wattage, low sillage, if you close your eyes, it might smell like either a tiny spritz of perfume or a whole lot of make-up. Great for a man if you’re willing to accept the implication.
5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Nuit de Noel
A softer less urbane version of Chanel no 5 this fragrance has a certian country elegance to it picturing oak
trees lined side by side riding in a open horse drawn carrige to an elegant
southern plantation full of white magnolias or going to a ketucky Derby wearing your finest.

The opening has a aldehydic note next
is the scent of bergamot and at it's base is rose gives it a powdery texture
unlike chanel no 5 caron's nuit de noel
avoids the clinical amount of Aldehydes
and sharp citruses and adds a warm amber note that is inviting.
this is perfect also winter and christmas eve parties.

DorothyGrace 4 years ago
Today I put on a little more than usual and weirdly am getting a very strong, persistent note of ambergris.+2
9.0
9.0
10.0

by Hexana
by Hexana
Bye-bye Nuit, lass Dich nochmal drücken, bevor Du gehst ;)
by Turandot
by Sophi
by Dashulamite
by Dashulamite

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (1960) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Lady Caron (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron