Or et Noir (1949)

Version from 1949
Or et Noir (1949) by Caron
Bottle Design: Félicie Vanpouille

Or et Noir (1949) is a popular perfume by Caron for women and was released in 1949. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Michel Morsetti

Top Notes Top NotesBulgarian rose, Rosa centifolia, Geranium
Heart Notes Heart NotesLilac, Carnation, Turkish rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss

Submitted by Joe, last update on 23.11.2018

5.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

An amazing journey
This is for the Parfum:

It opens with a lovely Taif rose. It's not as creamy as N' Aimez Que Moi and a little sharper. It's has a very classic feel to it. After a little while the geranium comes out with a hint of carnation. The Taif rose is still dominant though. It has really great sillage and projection. The longer it warms up on my skin the more I adore it. As it continues to warm up the amber becomes divine. Then in the drydown I get oakmoss. Oh my, I love this oakmoss. The rose also gets a bit creamier in the drydown too. The sillage isn't too loud and the longevity is amazing.

Jun
2014
10.0/10

Lost & Found Opulence
For the longest, I've had a 2ml sample with a missing label and wondered what it was. It became an obsession. Every time I sniffed it, I fell in love again. What was it? Today, I made up my mind to figure it out, slathered it on and sniffed. "It's a Caron!" said my nose. But which one? I'd already searched my emails on the name of every sample shop--repeatedly, in fact--looking for a 2 ml purchase. Those I found were here and properly labelled. This time I searched on "Caron sample" and, sure enough, I'd bought 2 ml of Or & Noir from an ebay shop last year! Mystery solved. Unfortunate that it's too late for my rose sniff fest, because this sophisticated lady would have made the finals. There's more to her than creamy and luxurious multiple roses. Subtle whiffs of perfectly blended Carnation, Geranium and Lilac are there. The simple base is fabulous, like putting the florals in a crystal vase tied with a posh velvet ribbon. Une Rose is my favorite rose perfume, but opulent Or & Noir, created in 1949, has risen from oblivion, shoved younger rivals aside, and taken second place. Actually, it should be in a tie for first place--rose in unmatched realism and heady refinement.
7.5 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Her Majesty - the Rose
Roses, roses and a little marigold or geranium blend in a full opening. My nose perceives this full scent as old-fashioned but in a good sense. That is how perfumes used to be made. There is the typical thickness of a CARON creation which lends this fragrance depth and continuity.

I was gifted a roll-on of "Or et Noir" at my visit at the CARON Boutique in New York City. The place is full of urns. "Or et Noir" is one of the urn perfumes. Modern is not ... when I wear it, I am not completely in tune with it. It is so full and dramatic. Stunning in its impact.

Notes? Roses in all their glory with a touch of carnation. Soon a big powdery feel emanates and mixes with the florals. Some spice, but very little. Just that peppery spice that roses have when you bury your nose into the flower.

Oakmoss is listed as a base note. I suppose it is there, although not overwhelming.

Where to wear this scent? At a theater performance, at a gala. It is not a sparkling scent, but rather a quiet, very dignified scent. Most suited for the Winter, in the same vein as "Nuit de Noel". Thick, full, blooming, powdery drama. Not for the young, too heavy and "old fashioned". Top quality.

by Marta
by Marta

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (1960) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Lady Caron (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Sport by Caron