Pour Un Homme de Caron (1934)Eau de Toilette

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1934. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance.

Ernest Daltroff

Lavender absolute, Lavender, Vanilla, Musk, Amber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2020.

Syed
Iconic Fragrance # 2 : Pour Un Homme De Caron - The Granddaddy - A Match made in Heaven
Year of Release: 1934
Perfumer: Ernest Daltroff
Overall Perfume Notes : Lavender, Vanilla and Amber
Type: Fresh / Sweet / Gourmand / Creamy / Fougere
Season: Spring - Summer ; well actually all year round
Occassion: Daily / Leisure / Business
Audience: Masculine

Let's start off by saying that this is as simple and brilliant as it can get in the world of perfumery.

The simplest of the notes i.e. Lavender and Vanilla combined seamlessely together, each transitioning into another smoothly without any competition. A match made in heaven, where each note understands its respective strengths and weaknesses and neither puts forth a wrong foot. Pure genius.

As for its history alot has been said about this fragrance and I firmly believe that it is high time to acknowledge the fact that this gem is the precursor to all fragrances masculine, the grand daddy, the first true EDT, which came forth from the galore of colognes and handkerchief scents.

The first fragrance that truly opened and divided the market of perfumes into masculine and feminine fragrances as we know today.

It was 86 years ago, Ernest Daltroff, the founder of the House of Caron, decided to venture into unchartered territory to create a fragrance solely meant for men and to carve a niche in a market that was otherwise filled with unisex scents and colognes.

Mr. Daltroff kept simplicity the benchmark for this particular fragrance and based the scent on lavender, his favorite note, which would also later on become the definitive masculine note of the past century in citrus based fragrances and aromatic fougeres.

But the perfume was missing a beating heart.

Which leads us to the love interest of his life i.e. Felicie Wanpouille, who would later marry him and become not only a facilitator but also the heart of the perfume, quite literally.

Ms. Felicie fancied Vanilla, as her most favorite note, she loved the sweet, creamy, warm and gourmandish aspects of the flower.

As a result of this likeness, Vanilla became the heart and the quintessential factor of this unique fragrance.

The cooling and fresh aspect of lavender coupled with the sweetness and warmth of vanilla.

Two contrasting personalites which gave birth to Pour Un Homme De Caron.

Simple, yet powerfully effective, in fact so unique that comparisons are hard to come by.

After constantly visiting and re-visiting this fragrance, I am yet to discover something quite truly like it, ( even though it has been suggested that Kilian's A Taste of Heaven comes close, I still take that as an honest tribute to this classic).

As for the fragrance itself, I classify the fragrance along the lines of aromatic oriental more so than aromatic fougere.

On my skin this fragrance opens with a sharp and bitter lavender accord, which is very medicinal in its texture. The closest I can get to a comparison is that of moist grass.

I have known people to be offended by this opening and I can understand why, but this feeling lingers only a couple of minutes on my skin after which I get one of the best lavender renditons ever, rich, aromatic and smooth.

It won't be un understatement if I say that this accord gives me mental relief and utmost comfort. Aromatherapy at its very best.

This feeling is there for the right amount of time and is not overpowering, and shortly transforms into a rich, creamy, slightly sweet and beautiful vanilla accord, quite reminiscent of Shalimar by Guerlain but much more amped down for masculine tastes.

I don't really appreciate gourmandish elements in a fragrance, but this fragrance has become an uncanny exception to that rule.

20 - 25 minutes since application, it is a vanilla rundown till its very drydown on my skin, with just the ambery, milky sweetness lingering on my skin.

This is a true wonder in the world of perfumery its perfect amalgamation of two contrasting elements, and a very linear progresiion, despite myths about its many notes and complexity.

I believe that by delving into these aspects, we are truly robbing this masterpiece of its greatness, which beyond its own rich history, is loved much more and has endured owing to its simplicity and minimalist style.

I was also pretty impressed by its flacon, straightforward, elegant with the light green elixir embodied in it.

In conclusion, Caron ended up creating a perfume that has tested time with its sophisticated elegance and continues to bewilder people with its versatility, whether used on a daily basis, in office, or at leisure times.

Tom Ford has gone onto say that this is his favorite scent. It is a very big endorsment coming from the owner of private blend collection.

Now as for the weaknesses, I believe that the longevity and sillage is moderate and not extremely long lasting, in my experience with this fragrance the aura of the smell lingers not more than 5 - 6 hours and projection after the first 30 minutes is pretty close to a skin scent. But I can live with that, and re-apply it again, as it is also light on the wallet. 125 ML cost me around USD 40 - 45.

This is a classic and genre defining fragrance, a fragrance which quite literally taught men to smell really well.

All in all a collectors dream and the greatest rendition of lavender and vanilla ever created.

Rating : A-

Pour Un Anyone
Thousands of reviews, eighty six years, lavender, vanilla, and musks. What's all the fuss been about? I finally get around to reviewing this classic masculine from Caron. Thank you so much for watching, hope you enjoy.

RndName
Timeless or just too old to be old?
An absolute feel-good scent. Strong lavender at the beginning, which melts more and more with sensual vanilla. When wearing it, I get associations with woodruff jelly with vanilla sauce. But enough has already been written here about the fragrance itself.

My first impression of Pour Un Homme was that it didn't smell like a perfume at all. Maybe the ingredients are just too natural. Unlike Guerlain's vetiver, Azzaro pour Homme or even Irish Moss, this fragrance doesn't smell "old" either. Whether this is due to the timeless combination of two such natural ingredients as lavender and vanilla, or the fact that the fragrance is simply too old to simply be called old, I can't say. In this respect, I have now also chosen it for the younger generation, like me.

Jealous Guy #1
Feelings and memories are both what you get from a fragrance. I remember the first time I had to smell Caron Pour Un Homme. It was at a friend's house a very long time ago, I was a kid, about 8 yo. His father wore and still wears nowadays this amazing and overwhelming but calm scent. I said to myself:" I wish I could smell that good, just like him. Someday I will buy a bottle myself." I admit, I was jealous, and it lasted many years. As I was growing up, my interest for fragrances also grew up. When you are a kid and then a teenager, the fragrances you get are gifts from family members. I brought that memory during years till I could, one day, buy a bottle for myself. So proud, and so satisfying it is when you finally get what you want. Apart from the fact that I prefered the scent on him than on me, wow! Lavender, one of my top notes and vanilla that heats up the whole thing. Maybe this is too classic for a young man, but I didn't care. So it is fresh at the beginning, then gets warm, really well balanced because it could be too much lavender in one bottle but no. Just enough. That's why it is continuously on market, almost a 100 years!!! If it lasts, it's obviously above standard quality, and this one is exceptional! For lavender lovers and, like me, jealous guys that get inspiration from who is around. Obrigado senhor Francisco! Merci Caron! Vive la France!

The smell of life
Pour un Homme – Caron

“…Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel…”
Nina Simone

Light, birth and rebirth. Spring brings out the metaphysical me, only god knows why ... Days like these makes us believe that everything has a purpose, a symbol, an unfathomable relationship. Today I decided to get my skin acquainted to a swing-era classic. The kind of fragrance that you hear a lot about, but can only be truly known by setting a proper full day “date” and “saving” time enjoying it. This blend of lavender, vanilla and musk, which looks extremely simple on paper (just on paper, i.e. fragrantica, because I could swear I can identify at least three or four more notes in it - citrus, possibly bergamot in the opening, tonka , amber and moss – on the drydown), is anything but. You can even call it minimalist, but not in any way meager or insufficient. Its way more Antonio Carlos Jobim's “One note Samba” and less Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum. Nothing seems out of place. The pieces seem to fit together without being forced: bathed, classic white shirt, windows open to let the day in, all this complemented by the cleanliness, the classic excellence, the simple accessories-free beauty of this prime example of liquid spring calm. Creamy, dusty, fresh and sweet. It makes us feel alive, happy.
I kiss my daughter good morning and she throws me a sleepy hello! back, and suddenly this is all that matters to me as a man, for a man…pour un homme.
Cloud Atlas or Vanilla on Cloud Seven
The days are short here in Pour Un Homme and again, after about six hours, a peaceful, relaxed day comes to an end. The first stars sparkle weakly on the still glowing campfire, the stories are told and all sit in silence and their thoughts pondering closely in the circle around the emerging, slight coolness of the evening to give no point of attack to drive away the fine, sweetish bitter aroma of the outgoing day.

She, in the middle of the round, was also trailing her memories. What she hadn't experienced in the past. Born in distant lands and an orchid of noble blood, fate often did not mean well with her. She was attacked, trampled down and seriously injured, later accused and suspected, finally kidnapped and banished to reclusive life. Also the appearances in Millésime and in perfume she thought with too narrow, too strong, too long days. But now she was finally home here on cloud seven in Pour Un Homme. She, the vanilla, had finally arrived!

This is not only due to the simple, elegant elegance and harmony of all those involved in the bottle, but first and foremost to their wonderful partner! The vanilla, itself a flowery, balsamic-dark beauty of bitter-sweet elegance, which, spreading its fragrance abundantly, likes to dominate the direction, has been put aside with the lavender a masculine partner. And this one is no longer a youth but an established personality of spicy opulence, unbridled, heated and loving the strong appearance. Both liked each other from the beginning and complemented each other perfectly.

Their joint appearances always follow the same pattern. The lavender, impetuous and expansive gesticulating, attracts all attention and is the unrestricted centre of attention. The herbaceous-floral freshness is very striking, intensely spicy and comes from there like a small hurricane. After about half an hour this storm calms down and turns into bitter-sweet, slightly flowery, spicy winds. In addition, the first warm vanilla aromas can be heard, because the vanilla is firmly attached to its partner and has a soothing effect on lavender. Even the stray and relatively unimpressed smaller scents act calmly through their mere presence. In the further process musk and amber begin to lead the meanwhile somewhat exhausted and weakening lavender supporting to the near, warming fire to listen to new stories from his mouth
This is the beginning of the vanilla season! Freed from the care of lavender to stand directly to her side, she begins to turn and her gliding, dancing steps around the home fire enchant everyone. The sensual atmosphere is filled with a dark, powerful aroma with little dry sweetness and spicy hints. In addition, with each pirouette our star swirls more and new vanilla powder while at the same time lavender, but above all musk and amber, occasionally turn a round together with her. A warm, harmonious feeling spreads out, the dance of vanilla becomes more peaceful and turns into a gentle one until it finally takes off and sits very close to the others with a contented smile. One listens again to the old stories and enjoys the air, which is suffused with the scent of woody-spicy vanilla, in the most pleasant way. In the near future another happy, satisfied day will come to an end.

Recommendation for enjoyable reading: the three previous contributions on vanilla, series now finished
Warning: Perfume and self-promotion!
(1) oudVanille by Franck Olivier : Violence on Parfumo - smoke, resin and more, the vanilla that has it hard!
(2) Jaïpur Homme EdP by Boucheron : Rumors about odors - Vanilla in Boucheron Jaïpur under suspicion
(3) Altamir by Ted Lapidus : Vanilla kidnapped - stop - PKA detected - stop - no trace yet - stop

Tom27
Lavender vanilla at its finest
Initially, shortly after spraying on, I still had my doubts as to whether Caron Pour Un Homme and I would really become friends.
The concentrated lavender scent shot too intensively into my nose. I wanted lavender but it was definitely too much of a good thing.
Good - some fragrances want to develop - so I just waited and it was worth it. After a few minutes, the lavender ebbed away and vanilla and amber were added wonderfully gently.
This fragrance stayed on my skin for 3 hours with average silage. Body close was still present for another 2 hours.

For me this fragrance, like no other, smells like a relaxed holiday in Provence.

If you like lavender and vanilla, you'll definitely love this perfume.
A Dream in the Provence
It is early August 2018. In the incredibly hot and driest summer in a long time, the first rain finally falls. I look up, my eyes off the beaten track. I'm pointing you at the deep purple fields of the Plateau de Sault. The sun is just above the horizon and the raindrops glisten where they meet the fields in the distance.

The air gets thicker, smells warm and inviting. A light breeze blows into my face and quickly displaces the smell of the earth getting wet from the rain. Instead, I get all captured. Surrounded by the scent of lavender fields that have ripened all day long in the brooding sun and, like me, are relieved that we are facing a cooling and life-giving rain.

I take my spices out of the shopping basket and stow them safely and dry in my backpack. I swing him on my shoulder, look forward and see the way through the fields clearly in front of me. Looks like it's about to rain heavily. I'm going out, but I wouldn't dream of hurrying. I'm getting smaller and smaller until I merge with the fields in the distance. A bell. A jerk. A twitch. The morning breaks and I look at the ceiling of my apartment in the middle of the big city. Caron, I like to dream about you. I look forward to next time...
Dreamlike unisex Lavender-Vanilla Fragrance
At Christmas I wore Caron's Nuit de Noel and my husband asked what it was. I told him a smell of Caron, an old perfume house. He didn't. Between you and me, it wasn't the first Caron fragrance he asked for. He always asks about the scents of Caron.
I noticed that he does not have a single Caron fragrance in his collection, or has ever tested a men's fragrance. So I looked around for the reviews here at Parfumo and ended up with this fragrance. Pour un Homme - Lavender and vanilla sounded good, classic and oldschool. The fragrance is said not to have been changed since 1934, writes Parfumdreams. I wanted to order a perfume for myself and ordered Pour un Homme right away with.
When he arrived, my husband sprayed it right on. I had warned him about the big start. "Good," he said, but that could mean anything to him. He is a diplomatic Libra and prefers to wear Interlude or other Amouage fragrances, possibly a few mainstreamers. I thought the scent was a little too soft for him. "Maybe more for home," I thought. The natural lavender note is very concise in the beginning. Like a typical Provence lavender scent. The addition of rosemary and citric notes supports the lavender note even further.
At the same time you can smell a nice and soft vanilla note, little sweet, but quite powdery and amberious.
This is the first powdery men fragrance I ever smell.
That and the fact that there are few typically male parts in this fragrance has made me spray it on as well and I love it about me.
I find the fragrance absolutely unisex and wearable for women. Neither does it have a disturbing woody note, nor anything stabbing. It is simply soft and round, harmoniously composed. In my heart I even smell a very soft note of roses wood, which you can hardly find in scents nowadays. I love the scent.
Mon Guerlain is quite successful with his modernly interpreted sweet lavender note, but I don't like it as much as Pour un Homme.
However, the scent can hardly be smelled after a good 5 hours on the skin. He keeps his hair a little longer and only becomes really beautiful after 30 minutes. I also like to smell lavender on its own, but the combination with the powdery vanilla is simply great. Since the fragrance can also be bought in very large flacons and this is very inexpensive, you have to top it up and spray more often and through the first 30 minutes through.

I have now added the fragrance to my own collection and now wear it for the third time in three days, which is a lot for me. If my husband will even wear it, I can't say. I have found a great fragrance for me and wouldn't have expected it at all, as I find it rather difficult with unisex fragrances. Homme doesn't mean "only" man in French, I learned here, but also man. There you go, this scent is for a man and not just for a man. Well, what luck, that's me.

Pour Un Homme, and sometimes, Pour Une Femme
Everybody has a signature scent. It means that you never get tired of it or bored with it. If you decide to change your signature scent, it doesn't mean that you ceased to love the former signature perfume. Unlike in divorces, where you end up developping an alergy to your former spouse, you just started to fancy more a new scent. But previous signature fragrances have their own special "gallery" in your closet and you will surely keep on wearing them from time to time, just like you do with your former college sweet hearts.
There is another special wardrobe gallery that houses perfumes with another classification type: they are the "wannabe" signature scents. "Wannabes" are the fragrances on the edge of becoming a signature scent, but for some ignored reason they are still waiting to achieve that honor. Probably a "wannabe" is often used. You may even apply it more times than you do with your signature scent.
"Pour un Homme" is one of my very much loved "wannabes".

This Caron's jewal it's more than adequate on the performance side, with more than 8 hours of longevity, quite more than an arm length of sillage, and projects almost for three hours.
It's perfect for Spring and Fall, meaning that it handles well Summer nights and probably Winter days. It is also a "use it everywhere" fragrance as well. It's not the best for clubbing but is very good for formal events, a night out, office, at leisure, intimacy, dinner with friends, daily casual,... you name it. It's even very nice to use in the gym.
Today in the office I have been remembered of how good this fragrance is, due to the numerous compliments I received.
Women like to smell it in a men, and many times they like to wear it themselves.
I also like it for a more selfish reason. I use it often just for my self, and every five minutes or so I sniff it in the back of my hand. Pure pleasure!
Usually I am neither a fan of a too strong lavender or vanilla note, neither of any type of rosemary... the three notes I pick the most in "Pour un Homme". And I just love them the way they are blended by Caron.
I recommend this ecletic perfume all the time, probably even more often than I suggest my less versatile signature scent.
How do I rate this "wannabe" of mine?
______________________________________________________________________________
- Scent opening............9.0 (best lavender I have ever smelled)
- Scent Dry Down.........9.5 (fantastic vanilla symphony in a musk background)
- Longevity....................8.0 (more than 8 hours on my skin, with 2 sprays)
- Sillage..........................7.5 (sillage peeking up to 5 feet, projecting for 2.5 hours)
- Versatility....................9.0 (quite versatile, expressing itself better in Spring and Fall, at ease in Winter days and in Summer nights)
- Usability......................9.5 (Just avoid not using it. Use it almost for every occasion)
- Compliments..............9.0 (This scent is a compliment magnet. People will give give you nice, elegant, discrete compliments. Nevertheless some teenagers will think it's adequated for "old men" more than 30 years old.)
- Uniqueness.................9.0 (It's quite unique; I can think only of its flankers and Killian's "A Taste of Heaven")
- Quality.........................10.0 (it exudes quality)
- Presentation...............7.5 (Nice, elegant flask and cap)
- Price.............................9.0 (€ 28 for a 125 ml tester flask)
______________________________________________________________________________
- Average:......................8.82/10.00
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on "Pour Un Homme":
This is a very good fragrance that you can use and abuse. The lavender/rosemary accord in the opening and the moderately sweet vanilla dry down are just great.
Recommended? Yes! Your wife will thank you, and everybody except your kids will compliment you.
Blind buy worthy? Yes with no risk at all!

Music: Dalida - "Pour un homme"

SyedSyed 4 days ago
Lavender and Vanilla; A Match made in Heaven
ElysiumElysium 51 days ago
The most beautiful lavender, an aromatic unisex fragrance with musky, fresh spicy, amber, and vanilla main accords. A timeless masterpiece!
HubertGHubertG 95 days ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrance, best lavender ever, well balanced, fresh, clean and gets warm thanks to vanilla and amber, must have.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 12 months ago
(removed statement)
FirasmalanzyFirasmalanzy 15 months ago
It has an old school vibe but still good though, i layerd it with Montblanc Legend, it give's me a good smell.
AmberScentAmberScent 18 months ago
Spicy, sweet and fresh masterpiece! The drydown is to die for, with one of the best vanilla notes in a fragrance for men. Trully recomended!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 20 months ago
A blend of Lavender and Rosemary with Vanilla (+ Amber, Tonka & Musk). A classy and versatile fragrance to be worn at anytime and occasion.

Discussions about Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette)

Briarthorn in Perfumes & Brands

by NasiGoreng
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Caron

Tabac Blond (Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Millésime 2014 by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Poivre (Extrait de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron L'Eau by Caron Acaciosa (1929) by Caron Farnesiana (1947) by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron