Pour Un Homme de Caron 1934Eau de Toilette

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1934. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance. Pronunciation

Ernest Daltroff

Lavender absolute, Lavender, Vanilla, Musk, Amber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.11.2020.

Smellavision
Vanilla and lavender bomb!
PUH is very straightforward and rounded. Not especially masculine, but rather unisex in my opinion. Opening with pure lavender, which is - finally - caught up by the vanilla after one-two hours depending on weather and skin conditions.

I like lavender, tonka and sage but I miss a little more freshness here. Of course, being released in 1934 it will smell differently than most releases today - funny thing is that a lot of sweeter male fragrances have been released for the last ten years - repeating the cycle maybe ??

Although there are 30 years in between, I can also see some similarities between this and Guerlain's Habit Rouge, with the later being much heavier on the lemon and rose (which is also present in this but not listed). Definitely a hit if you're a lavender lover.

Personally, when mixed with vanilla, in this genre I prefer the lavender being replaced with something fresher like the cypress in Eau de Baux.
Paleor
Cosy relaxing scent to fall asleep
This fragrance definitely belongs to the super classics. So far I had only heard positive things about it. For me this is an absolutely timeless fragrance, totally classy. Although I don't wear it during the day, because it is too close and singular for me. But it is perfect after a shower in the evening before going to bed. Lovely! Br />
To the fragrance:
The prelude is really a lavender grenade! The first 3 minutes are dominated by finest lavender components. Little by little a very warm vanilla creeps in. Musk probably gives the fragrance the soft/cuddly note. I only perceive amber sporadically.

Shelf life/silage:
The durability is unfortunately very, very weak. After 30 minutes, only the interplay of vanilla and musk with a touch of lavender can be perceived within a radius of 0.5 metres and is therefore very close to the skin. What is perceptible is still very pleasant, but unfortunately too weak. Body heat from physical activity or from increased outside temperature can easily re-ignite this scent, but by no means keep it for a longer period of time.

Conclusion:
The perfect fragrance for sleeping. Lavender and cuddly vanilla envelop you and let you fall asleep peacefully as in a luxury spa hotel

Syed
Iconic Fragrance # 2 : Pour Un Homme De Caron - The Granddaddy - A Match made in Heaven
Year of Release: 1934
Perfumer: Ernest Daltroff
Overall Perfume Notes : Lavender, Vanilla and Amber
Type: Fresh / Sweet / Gourmand / Creamy / Fougere
Season: Spring - Summer ; well actually all year round
Occassion: Daily / Leisure / Business
Audience: Masculine

Let's start off by saying that this is as simple and brilliant as it can get in the world of perfumery.

The simplest of the notes i.e. Lavender and Vanilla combined seamlessely together, each transitioning into another smoothly without any competition. A match made in heaven, where each note understands its respective strengths and weaknesses and neither puts forth a wrong foot. Pure genius.

As for its history alot has been said about this fragrance and I firmly believe that it is high time to acknowledge the fact that this gem is the precursor to all fragrances masculine, the grand daddy, the first true EDT, which came forth from the galore of colognes and handkerchief scents.

The first fragrance that truly opened and divided the market of perfumes into masculine and feminine fragrances as we know today.

It was 86 years ago, Ernest Daltroff, the founder of the House of Caron, decided to venture into unchartered territory to create a fragrance solely meant for men and to carve a niche in a market that was otherwise filled with unisex scents and colognes.

Mr. Daltroff kept simplicity the benchmark for this particular fragrance and based the scent on lavender, his favorite note, which would also later on become the definitive masculine note of the past century in citrus based fragrances and aromatic fougeres.

But the perfume was missing a beating heart.

Which leads us to the love interest of his life i.e. Felicie Wanpouille, who would later marry him and become not only a facilitator but also the heart of the perfume, quite literally.

Ms. Felicie fancied Vanilla, as her most favorite note, she loved the sweet, creamy, warm and gourmandish aspects of the flower.

As a result of this likeness, Vanilla became the heart and the quintessential factor of this unique fragrance.

The cooling and fresh aspect of lavender coupled with the sweetness and warmth of vanilla.

Two contrasting personalites which gave birth to Pour Un Homme De Caron.

Simple, yet powerfully effective, in fact so unique that comparisons are hard to come by.

After constantly visiting and re-visiting this fragrance, I am yet to discover something quite truly like it, ( even though it has been suggested that Kilian's A Taste of Heaven comes close, I still take that as an honest tribute to this classic).

As for the fragrance itself, I classify the fragrance along the lines of aromatic oriental more so than aromatic fougere.

On my skin this fragrance opens with a sharp and bitter lavender accord, which is very medicinal in its texture. The closest I can get to a comparison is that of moist grass.

I have known people to be offended by this opening and I can understand why, but this feeling lingers only a couple of minutes on my skin after which I get one of the best lavender renditons ever, rich, aromatic and smooth.

It won't be un understatement if I say that this accord gives me mental relief and utmost comfort. Aromatherapy at its very best.

This feeling is there for the right amount of time and is not overpowering, and shortly transforms into a rich, creamy, slightly sweet and beautiful vanilla accord, quite reminiscent of Shalimar by Guerlain but much more amped down for masculine tastes.

I don't really appreciate gourmandish elements in a fragrance, but this fragrance has become an uncanny exception to that rule.

20 - 25 minutes since application, it is a vanilla rundown till its very drydown on my skin, with just the ambery, milky sweetness lingering on my skin.

This is a true wonder in the world of perfumery its perfect amalgamation of two contrasting elements, and a very linear progresiion, despite myths about its many notes and complexity.

I believe that by delving into these aspects, we are truly robbing this masterpiece of its greatness, which beyond its own rich history, is loved much more and has endured owing to its simplicity and minimalist style.

I was also pretty impressed by its flacon, straightforward, elegant with the light green elixir embodied in it.

In conclusion, Caron ended up creating a perfume that has tested time with its sophisticated elegance and continues to bewilder people with its versatility, whether used on a daily basis, in office, or at leisure times.

Tom Ford has gone onto say that this is his favorite scent. It is a very big endorsment coming from the owner of private blend collection.

Now as for the weaknesses, I believe that the longevity and sillage is moderate and not extremely long lasting, in my experience with this fragrance the aura of the smell lingers not more than 5 - 6 hours and projection after the first 30 minutes is pretty close to a skin scent. But I can live with that, and re-apply it again, as it is also light on the wallet. 125 ML cost me around USD 40 - 45.

This is a classic and genre defining fragrance, a fragrance which quite literally taught men to smell really well.

All in all a collectors dream and the greatest rendition of lavender and vanilla ever created.

Rating : A-

Pour Un Anyone
Thousands of reviews, eighty six years, lavender, vanilla, and musks. What's all the fuss been about? I finally get around to reviewing this classic masculine from Caron. Thank you so much for watching, hope you enjoy.

RndName
Timeless or just too old to be old?
An absolute feel-good scent. Strong lavender at the beginning, which melts more and more with sensual vanilla. When wearing it, I get associations with woodruff jelly with vanilla sauce. But enough has already been written here about the fragrance itself.

My first impression of Pour Un Homme was that it didn't smell like a perfume at all. Maybe the ingredients are just too natural. Unlike Guerlain's vetiver, Azzaro pour Homme or even Irish Moss, this fragrance doesn't smell "old" either. Whether this is due to the timeless combination of two such natural ingredients as lavender and vanilla, or the fact that the fragrance is simply too old to simply be called old, I can't say. In this respect, I have now also chosen it for the younger generation, like me.

Jealous Guy #1
Feelings and memories are both what you get from a fragrance. I remember the first time I had to smell Caron Pour Un Homme. It was at a friend's house a very long time ago, I was a kid, about 8 yo. His father wore and still wears nowadays this amazing and overwhelming but calm scent. I said to myself:" I wish I could smell that good, just like him. Someday I will buy a bottle myself." I admit, I was jealous, and it lasted many years. As I was growing up, my interest for fragrances also grew up. When you are a kid and then a teenager, the fragrances you get are gifts from family members. I brought that memory during years till I could, one day, buy a bottle for myself. So proud, and so satisfying it is when you finally get what you want. Apart from the fact that I prefered the scent on him than on me, wow! Lavender, one of my top notes and vanilla that heats up the whole thing. Maybe this is too classic for a young man, but I didn't care. So it is fresh at the beginning, then gets warm, really well balanced because it could be too much lavender in one bottle but no. Just enough. That's why it is continuously on market, almost a 100 years!!! If it lasts, it's obviously above standard quality, and this one is exceptional! For lavender lovers and, like me, jealous guys that get inspiration from who is around. Obrigado senhor Francisco! Merci Caron! Vive la France!

The smell of life
Pour un Homme – Caron

“…Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel…”
Nina Simone

Light, birth and rebirth. Spring brings out the metaphysical me, only god knows why ... Days like these makes us believe that everything has a purpose, a symbol, an unfathomable relationship. Today I decided to get my skin acquainted to a swing-era classic. The kind of fragrance that you hear a lot about, but can only be truly known by setting a proper full day “date” and “saving” time enjoying it. This blend of lavender, vanilla and musk, which looks extremely simple on paper (just on paper, i.e. fragrantica, because I could swear I can identify at least three or four more notes in it - citrus, possibly bergamot in the opening, tonka , amber and moss – on the drydown), is anything but. You can even call it minimalist, but not in any way meager or insufficient. Its way more Antonio Carlos Jobim's “One note Samba” and less Sorabji's Opus Clavicembalisticum. Nothing seems out of place. The pieces seem to fit together without being forced: bathed, classic white shirt, windows open to let the day in, all this complemented by the cleanliness, the classic excellence, the simple accessories-free beauty of this prime example of liquid spring calm. Creamy, dusty, fresh and sweet. It makes us feel alive, happy.
I kiss my daughter good morning and she throws me a sleepy hello! back, and suddenly this is all that matters to me as a man, for a man…pour un homme.
Tom27
Lavender vanilla at its finest
Initially, shortly after spraying on, I still had my doubts as to whether Caron Pour Un Homme and I would really become friends.
The concentrated lavender scent shot too intensively into my nose. I wanted lavender but it was definitely too much of a good thing.
Good - some fragrances want to develop - so I just waited and it was worth it. After a few minutes, the lavender ebbed away and vanilla and amber were added wonderfully gently.
This fragrance stayed on my skin for 3 hours with average silage. Body close was still present for another 2 hours.

For me this fragrance, like no other, smells like a relaxed holiday in Provence.

If you like lavender and vanilla, you'll definitely love this perfume.
A Dream in the Provence
It is early August 2018. In the incredibly hot and driest summer in a long time, the first rain finally falls. I look up, my eyes off the beaten track. I'm pointing you at the deep purple fields of the Plateau de Sault. The sun is just above the horizon and the raindrops glisten where they meet the fields in the distance.

The air gets thicker, smells warm and inviting. A light breeze blows into my face and quickly displaces the smell of the earth getting wet from the rain. Instead, I get all captured. Surrounded by the scent of lavender fields that have ripened all day long in the brooding sun and, like me, are relieved that we are facing a cooling and life-giving rain.

I take my spices out of the shopping basket and stow them safely and dry in my backpack. I swing him on my shoulder, look forward and see the way through the fields clearly in front of me. Looks like it's about to rain heavily. I'm going out, but I wouldn't dream of hurrying. I'm getting smaller and smaller until I merge with the fields in the distance. A bell. A jerk. A twitch. The morning breaks and I look at the ceiling of my apartment in the middle of the big city. Caron, I like to dream about you. I look forward to next time...
Dreamlike unisex Lavender-Vanilla Fragrance
At Christmas I wore Caron's Nuit de Noel and my husband asked what it was. I told him a smell of Caron, an old perfume house. He didn't. Between you and me, it wasn't the first Caron fragrance he asked for. He always asks about the scents of Caron.
I noticed that he does not have a single Caron fragrance in his collection, or has ever tested a men's fragrance. So I looked around for the reviews here at Parfumo and ended up with this fragrance. Pour un Homme - Lavender and vanilla sounded good, classic and oldschool. The fragrance is said not to have been changed since 1934, writes Parfumdreams. I wanted to order a perfume for myself and ordered Pour un Homme right away with.
When he arrived, my husband sprayed it right on. I had warned him about the big start. "Good," he said, but that could mean anything to him. He is a diplomatic Libra and prefers to wear Interlude or other Amouage fragrances, possibly a few mainstreamers. I thought the scent was a little too soft for him. "Maybe more for home," I thought. The natural lavender note is very concise in the beginning. Like a typical Provence lavender scent. The addition of rosemary and citric notes supports the lavender note even further.
At the same time you can smell a nice and soft vanilla note, little sweet, but quite powdery and amberious.
This is the first powdery men fragrance I ever smell.
That and the fact that there are few typically male parts in this fragrance has made me spray it on as well and I love it about me.
I find the fragrance absolutely unisex and wearable for women. Neither does it have a disturbing woody note, nor anything stabbing. It is simply soft and round, harmoniously composed. In my heart I even smell a very soft note of roses wood, which you can hardly find in scents nowadays. I love the scent.
Mon Guerlain is quite successful with his modernly interpreted sweet lavender note, but I don't like it as much as Pour un Homme.
However, the scent can hardly be smelled after a good 5 hours on the skin. He keeps his hair a little longer and only becomes really beautiful after 30 minutes. I also like to smell lavender on its own, but the combination with the powdery vanilla is simply great. Since the fragrance can also be bought in very large flacons and this is very inexpensive, you have to top it up and spray more often and through the first 30 minutes through.

I have now added the fragrance to my own collection and now wear it for the third time in three days, which is a lot for me. If my husband will even wear it, I can't say. I have found a great fragrance for me and wouldn't have expected it at all, as I find it rather difficult with unisex fragrances. Homme doesn't mean "only" man in French, I learned here, but also man. There you go, this scent is for a man and not just for a man. Well, what luck, that's me.

TorkeTorke 2 months ago
Imagine you enter an Apocathery: You just smelled Caron Pour un Homme.
This said, in the best possible sense.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 months ago
Super cozy fragrance that opens with a manly lavender with musk, old fashion powdery scent. Then the sweetness of the vanilla and amber.
SyedSyed 6 months ago
Lavender and Vanilla; A Match made in Heaven
ElysiumElysium 8 months ago
The most beautiful lavender, an aromatic unisex fragrance with musky, fresh spicy, amber, and vanilla main accords. A timeless masterpiece!
HubertGHubertG 9 months ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrance, best lavender ever, well balanced, fresh, clean and gets warm thanks to vanilla and amber, must have.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 1 year ago
(removed statement)
FirasmalanzyFirasmalanzy 2 years ago
It has an old school vibe but still good though, i layerd it with Montblanc Legend, it give's me a good smell.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Spicy, sweet and fresh masterpiece! The drydown is to die for, with one of the best vanilla notes in a fragrance for men. Trully recomended!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A blend of Lavender and Rosemary with Vanilla (+ Amber, Tonka & Musk). A classy and versatile fragrance to be worn at anytime and occasion.

Discussions about Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette)

Briarthorn in Perfumes & Brands

by Josch
by Josch
Hat glücklicherweise bis nach der Aufnahme gehalten
by Pistazieneis
by Carboytony
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Caron

Tabac Blond (Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Millésime 2014 by Caron Farnesiana (2017) (Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Narcisse Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Poivre (Extrait de Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Parfum) by Caron Pois de Senteur / Les Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi (Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Rose (1949) by Caron