Pour Un Homme de Caron 1934 Eau de Toilette

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1934. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance. Pronunciation

Ernest Daltroff

Lavender absoluteLavender absolute
LavenderLavender
VanillaVanilla
MuskMusk
AmberAmber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.07.2021.

Raffatja
Pour un homme... mais pas seulement!
The lavender classic by Caron, what more could I write about this that hasn't already been written a hundred times... For me, this fragrance means warmth, calm, security. Is Pour un homme de Caron a highly complex web of different facets? No, it's not. Does it take you on a journey through the Grasser Alley of good smells? Not that either. This fragrance is different. How different? Let me explain it this way:

The fragrance

Slightly amber lavender sweetened with vanilla. There is basically nothing more to say about this. The lavender starts strong, authentic and spicy, a sensual experience for all who love lavender. Less so, presumably, for those who dislike the herb or find it "old" and "musty". Such olfactory gourmands should probably give Pour un homme a wide berth. But who loves lavender and except a sensual warm, wrapped in a wonderful vanilla note nothing else wants and expects, which gets here for a small thaler a simple, yet sensational fragrance.

Rating: 8/10

Its features:

Lavender is the star of this show, hands down. Initially overly clear and dominant, it becomes more and more enveloped in the course of the fragrance by the velvety soft vanilla, as if in a warm blanket. This scent then lasts for a few hours, depending on the skin chemistry. In the end, the scent becomes more like a spicy bourbon candy. The longevity is moderate, perfectly fine, but not a long-lasting hit. Projection and sillage are rather restrained, almost a little disappointing.

Rating: 6.5/10

Price and prestige

I can keep this one short, the scent is simple but elegant. Noble restrained and yet full-bodied. Only the "big name" is missing here fortunately, for those who give a wet sweep around such things perhaps a minus point. For me, however, not at all. The price is simply sensational, I bought my 200ml bottle online for a good 50 euros. Fantastic.

Rating: 9.5/10

For whom is the fragrance suitable?

Lavender and vanilla, what can I say great. Unisex? Definitely. Classic masculine? But hello, everything goes, nothing must. Personally, while I most associate this scent with the well-groomed middle-aged to advanced gentleman, I can also imagine it on fun-loving, confident ladies. Teenagers and Twens, look around you perhaps rather elsewhere, because for young, the zeitgeist affectionate noses may well sniff the whole thing too "oldschoolig".

Conclusion

I love this fragrance. Rather unobtrusive and with quiet verve, the sweet lavender gives me a soothing, finely chiseled feeling of warmth and neat understatement. A fragrance primarily for the wearer himself, not so much for those he (she/div) encounters. Longevity and projection are average at best, but for the price you can re-spray virtually anytime without hesitation... if you want to. For me, a no-brainer!

Result: 8/10

Salve!
DonCologne
"You're not going to join the builders like that, are you?!"
It was late summer and I was planning a long visit to my parents. Since I often get itchy fingers when it comes to men's classics - much to the displeasure of my wallet - "Pour Un Homme de Caron" was ordered by me directly to my parents' house, so that the anticipation of arrival was doubly great for me. How a classic from the 30s, which is still today ver- and especially bought, would probably smell?!

On arrival there were just builders / craftsmen on the property of my parents busy. It was also immediately said that outside possibly some help would be needed in carrying heavy clinker bricks. As a "pattern son" ; ) I of course offered my help, which was gratefully accepted. So quickly old clothes on and yes...why not even try a few splashes of the new Caron, so that the work is not too bland (I hope in this forum, one is not smiled at for such idiosyncrasies, in contrast to my other environment ;) ) ).

I was just about to head out the door when my mother called after me, "You're not going to join the builders like that are you? Awfully cute...they'll think you're from the other side of the river and want to sweet talk them!" Hach jaa...how I love my mother for her extremely discerning comments on some of my scents. ; )
Nevertheless, we are now also immediately at my core problem with the fragrance: the strong vanilla!

The fragrance: Is kept very puristic for my liking. There would be namely lavender and vanilla. If it were a Tom Ford, it would probably be called "Lavender Vanilla". The lavender here at Caron really beautifully authentic held. Just the other day I came out of an apartment and thought someone was wearing Caron PUHDC, yet it was just some lavender plants in the sun right next to the front door. The vanilla could be a bit darker and drier for me, but comes off more yellowish, lovely. The scent progression is such that after the initial lavender explosion, the vanilla quickly comes into play. If the scent stopped after 10 minutes, the balance would be perfect for me. But the vanilla just overtakes the lavender over time and takes over too much for me. Although of course a certain lavender base note remains throughout, it eventually becomes too sweet for me. So again what learned: even old men's classics can be quite sweet ; )

Although I have a heart for fragrances with stock, or since I'm always very curious, the bottle finally had to move on. I hope he and the new owner will be better friends.
Timeless, great performances!
Like a loving old married couple, the two of them sat contentedly and relaxedly on the bench after their great performance and watched the fading day. The first stars still twinkled faintly, many stories were told and both snuggled up close to each other to give the emerging, slight chill of the evening no point of attack to drive away the fine, sweet-tart aroma of the outgoing day.

As she often did, she liked to indulge her own memories. What had she not experienced in the past. Born in distant lands and as an Orchidée of noble blood, fate did not always mean well with her. She was highly traded, fell low, was often imitated and pressed into connections that did her little credit. But here in the perfume Pour Un Homme de Caron she, the vanilla, had finally arrived. This fragrance was now for a long time her home and here she could show again and again, what was in her.

This was not only due to the simple, distinguished elegance and harmony of all involved in the bottle, but first and foremost due to her so wonderful partner! The vanilla, itself a flowery, balsamic-dark beauty of tart-sweet elegance, which, lushly spreading its fragrance, likes to direct itself dominantly, was put with the lavender a masculine partner to the side. And this is no longer a youth but a seasoned personality of spicy, somewhat bulky opulence and yet unbridled, hot-tempered and loving the strong appearance. Both liked and complemented each other grandly from the beginning.

Their performances together always follow the same pattern. The lavender, impetuous and spacey gesticulating, draws all attention to itself and is the unrestricted center of attention. The herbaceous-floral freshness is very striking, intensely spicy and comes over us like a small hurricane. After about half an hour, this storm subsides and turns into tart-sweet, slightly floral, spicy winds. On top of that, the first warm, vanillic aromas can be heard, because the vanilla has firmly attached itself to its partner and has a moderating effect on lavender with soothing words. The lesser scents that roam around and are relatively unimpressed by the goings-on also act soothingly by their mere presence. As it progresses, musk and amber begin to helpfully support the, by now somewhat worn out and weakening, lavender.

Thus begins the high time of vanilla! Freed from the commandment to Lavender directly to the side, she begins to turn and her gliding, prancing steps around her masculine partner enchant everyone. The sensual atmosphere is filled with a dark, powerful aroma with little dry sweetness and spicy hints. In addition, our star swirls more and more vanilla powder with every pirouette, while at the same time lavender now and then, but especially musk and amber, take a turn together with her. A warm, harmonious feeling spreads, the dance of vanilla becomes calmer and turns into a gentle walk until it finally hooks up with lavender again, elated and cheerful with a satisfied smile. The air, scented with woodsy, spicy vanilla, spreads its fragrance in the most pleasant way. Together, dragging the fine sweet-tart aroma of their performance behind them, they both seek out their bench again after a good 6 hours to get in the mood for more of their timeless, great performances.

For almost 90 years, this unique, harmonious combination of fragrance notes in Pour Un Homme de Caron. This perfume, like Tabac Blond, is a true masterpiece by perfumer Ernest Daltroff, founder of Parfums Caron in 1904. Pour Un Homme de Caron was created in 1934 as one of the first men's fragrances and is well placed there. It is the fragrance for the exceptional, self-confident gentleman of any age in neat and well-groomed clothes for a variety of occasions in the evening, in the office and at leisure.

Many thanks for the kind attention to my appearance!

Lavender Dreams
A remarkable scent characterised by its timeless beauty, a dream of lavender fields swaying gently in the wind, with a touch of vanilla, almost imperceptible at first, but then gaining more ground. Calm and beauty, eternal aspirations and the mere transience of things. Lavender dreams...

Exciting lavender
Ahh lavender and vanilla. A star team, nowadays famous for its soothing effect. Whether that was already well-known in 1934 or this perfume was breaking grounds, I have no idea.

Pour un Homme de Caron will bring you that cosy soothing aura. But not before it slaps you in the face with a shot of bitter lavender. It takes a while before the lavender settles down.

Rather often lavender and vanilla is combined with citrus. Pour un Homme goes into a musky direction, instead of citric fresh. I feel a bit of warmth, but thankfully no gourmandish sweetness from the vanilla. It does make me wonder if this perfume is suitable for warmer weather conditions.

The lavender is exciting at first and soothing in the end. Don't expect a teleport to the Provence, though. There are far more natural lavender scents. Same goes for the vanilla. Nevertheless, this Pour un Homme is pleasant to wear and very versatile.

Performance-wise it does a fine job. Modest radiation for 6 hours or so. Note that it's winter time now in my place.

The problem lavender
After the time-honoured fragrance has been around for so long and, in addition, it enjoys, I would like to say, a solid appreciation from some of my highly esteemed super noses, it was high time to let the boy, whom my inner nose has long since imagined, come into play. (First sentences should be short - what do I care?)
Actually, I could imagine this lavender-vanilla-combination quite well, as I was able to find out afterwards, but then again lavender is not one of those substances I absolutely have to smell all the time (in my case it belongs to the category "spices").
Furthermore, the adjective "vanilla" does not create an immediate desire to get a taste that I absolutely must have it now (see above) which, in the long run, led to the fact that I only knew the bottle of this part so far, but never operated it mechanically.
So first of all, "Holla! What's up?" The bitter-bitter lavender cuts through the surrounding air with the pith of a laser sword and says "thou shalt have no other god beside me." That doesn't happen either, because I'm brain paralyzed for 10 seconds by the lavender shock and take the sprayer with me to the computer, so that I don't have to get up again (who knows if I still can...) to possibly refill it.
Well, 10 seconds go by quickly and very carefully the milder tones of the priming sedan and sweets venture out to whisper flattering words into the ear of their lavender boss. But he doesn't listen, but gets - now he's getting dirty, ladies and gentlemen - lascivious, just too dirty impulses.
This is what lavender likes to do in a certain density and opacity, but you have to say... he's got it bad as hell behind or under his ears.
Whether you perceive it now rather as the buckling of the (unwashed) young man, the acidity of the woman in heat or the aura of the older gentleman overpowered by sudden lust (well, the lavender!) does not matter and would be a matter of taste or smell. Also the adjective "ratty" comes to my mind...
I'm torn, because on the one hand I didn't think that such a, as I thought, "dignified" oldschooler would be able to do that and I'm happy about the surprise, because most of the oldschoolers I know often smell really old to me, I'm surprised about my joy... but on the other hand - that's really mean!
And no, that's not skin chemistry or any mythology, I didn't grind up any molecules (hihi), it's the same on a piece of cloth, on paper or clothes - just as prickly, uninhibited and straight to the point.
The question that arises here is of course: did Mr. Daltroff at that time, 1934, accept and accept this olfactory interlude as "inevitable with a lot of lavender", or did he even operate with it on purpose and "design" the fragrance in this direction, or did it not even occur to him, because lavender already caused a certain habituation and dullness in his nose, that he could not even come up with such thoughts ?
So, anyway, we have here a certain lavender problem, a problem lavender so to speak,
uh, we then have a difference between the normally behaving lavender, the harmful lavender and the uh problem lavender. And, uh, it's quite clear that, uh, this lavender uh, a problem lavender is and it has been, by the way, also, basically, uh quite uh a certain luck, he has scented practically everything at 1 o'clock at night. And thank God there was, uh, was in the house, so at least that has not been noticed.
Yes, I did And that, as I already said, I find it cool on the one hand that this one shows an unexpected edge, but on the other hand it's a bit too much... Anyway, after 30 to 45 minutes (but what he might have done already?) the problem lavender is put under house arrest, remand or quarantine and is now only allowed out with an electronic vanilla ankle bracelet and a musk mask. He carries it with composure and thus forms in the long run a very harmonious, calm and character-strong unit, which, as befits a 96-year-old, shines with mildness of age and philanthropic wisdom and now, albeit late, once again proves to be beneficial and supportive to humanity. Now, I must say in conclusion, he is and smells indeed as I had imagined him to be all along. Let's hope that the heart will continue to participate for a long time
Dear ones, I understand all degrees of evaluation here, your enthusiasm and your criticism. It's much "stranger" than I thought, but I think that's good again. And on the other hand... etc. etc.

Smellavision
Vanilla and lavender bomb!
PUH is very straightforward and rounded. Not especially masculine, but rather unisex in my opinion. Opening with pure lavender, which is - finally - caught up by the vanilla after one-two hours depending on weather and skin conditions.

I like lavender, tonka and sage but I miss a little more freshness here. Of course, being released in 1934 it will smell differently than most releases today - funny thing is that a lot of sweeter male fragrances have been released for the last ten years - repeating the cycle maybe ??

Although there are 30 years in between, I can also see some similarities between this and Guerlain's Habit Rouge, with the later being much heavier on the lemon and rose (which is also present in this but not listed). Definitely a hit if you're a lavender lover.

Personally, when mixed with vanilla, in this genre I prefer the lavender being replaced with something fresher like the cypress in Eau de Baux.
Paleor
Cosy relaxing scent to fall asleep
This fragrance definitely belongs to the super classics. So far I had only heard positive things about it. For me this is an absolutely timeless fragrance, totally classy. Although I don't wear it during the day, because it is too close and singular for me. But it is perfect after a shower in the evening before going to bed. Lovely! Br />
To the fragrance:
The prelude is really a lavender grenade! The first 3 minutes are dominated by finest lavender components. Little by little a very warm vanilla creeps in. Musk probably gives the fragrance the soft/cuddly note. I only perceive amber sporadically.

Shelf life/silage:
The durability is unfortunately very, very weak. After 30 minutes, only the interplay of vanilla and musk with a touch of lavender can be perceived within a radius of 0.5 metres and is therefore very close to the skin. What is perceptible is still very pleasant, but unfortunately too weak. Body heat from physical activity or from increased outside temperature can easily re-ignite this scent, but by no means keep it for a longer period of time.

Conclusion:
The perfect fragrance for sleeping. Lavender and cuddly vanilla envelop you and let you fall asleep peacefully as in a luxury spa hotel

Syed
Iconic Fragrance # 2 : Pour Un Homme De Caron - The Granddaddy - A Match made in Heaven
Year of Release: 1934
Perfumer: Ernest Daltroff
Overall Perfume Notes : Lavender, Vanilla and Amber
Type: Fresh / Sweet / Gourmand / Creamy / Fougere
Season: Spring - Summer ; well actually all year round
Occassion: Daily / Leisure / Business
Audience: Masculine

Let's start off by saying that this is as simple and brilliant as it can get in the world of perfumery.

The simplest of the notes i.e. Lavender and Vanilla combined seamlessely together, each transitioning into another smoothly without any competition. A match made in heaven, where each note understands its respective strengths and weaknesses and neither puts forth a wrong foot. Pure genius.

As for its history alot has been said about this fragrance and I firmly believe that it is high time to acknowledge the fact that this gem is the precursor to all fragrances masculine, the grand daddy, the first true EDT, which came forth from the galore of colognes and handkerchief scents.

The first fragrance that truly opened and divided the market of perfumes into masculine and feminine fragrances as we know today.

It was 86 years ago, Ernest Daltroff, the founder of the House of Caron, decided to venture into unchartered territory to create a fragrance solely meant for men and to carve a niche in a market that was otherwise filled with unisex scents and colognes.

Mr. Daltroff kept simplicity the benchmark for this particular fragrance and based the scent on lavender, his favorite note, which would also later on become the definitive masculine note of the past century in citrus based fragrances and aromatic fougeres.

But the perfume was missing a beating heart.

Which leads us to the love interest of his life i.e. Felicie Wanpouille, who would later marry him and become not only a facilitator but also the heart of the perfume, quite literally.

Ms. Felicie fancied Vanilla, as her most favorite note, she loved the sweet, creamy, warm and gourmandish aspects of the flower.

As a result of this likeness, Vanilla became the heart and the quintessential factor of this unique fragrance.

The cooling and fresh aspect of lavender coupled with the sweetness and warmth of vanilla.

Two contrasting personalites which gave birth to Pour Un Homme De Caron.

Simple, yet powerfully effective, in fact so unique that comparisons are hard to come by.

After constantly visiting and re-visiting this fragrance, I am yet to discover something quite truly like it, ( even though it has been suggested that Kilian's A Taste of Heaven comes close, I still take that as an honest tribute to this classic).

As for the fragrance itself, I classify the fragrance along the lines of aromatic oriental more so than aromatic fougere.

On my skin this fragrance opens with a sharp and bitter lavender accord, which is very medicinal in its texture. The closest I can get to a comparison is that of moist grass.

I have known people to be offended by this opening and I can understand why, but this feeling lingers only a couple of minutes on my skin after which I get one of the best lavender renditons ever, rich, aromatic and smooth.

It won't be un understatement if I say that this accord gives me mental relief and utmost comfort. Aromatherapy at its very best.

This feeling is there for the right amount of time and is not overpowering, and shortly transforms into a rich, creamy, slightly sweet and beautiful vanilla accord, quite reminiscent of Shalimar by Guerlain but much more amped down for masculine tastes.

I don't really appreciate gourmandish elements in a fragrance, but this fragrance has become an uncanny exception to that rule.

20 - 25 minutes since application, it is a vanilla rundown till its very drydown on my skin, with just the ambery, milky sweetness lingering on my skin.

This is a true wonder in the world of perfumery its perfect amalgamation of two contrasting elements, and a very linear progresiion, despite myths about its many notes and complexity.

I believe that by delving into these aspects, we are truly robbing this masterpiece of its greatness, which beyond its own rich history, is loved much more and has endured owing to its simplicity and minimalist style.

I was also pretty impressed by its flacon, straightforward, elegant with the light green elixir embodied in it.

In conclusion, Caron ended up creating a perfume that has tested time with its sophisticated elegance and continues to bewilder people with its versatility, whether used on a daily basis, in office, or at leisure times.

Tom Ford has gone onto say that this is his favorite scent. It is a very big endorsment coming from the owner of private blend collection.

Now as for the weaknesses, I believe that the longevity and sillage is moderate and not extremely long lasting, in my experience with this fragrance the aura of the smell lingers not more than 5 - 6 hours and projection after the first 30 minutes is pretty close to a skin scent. But I can live with that, and re-apply it again, as it is also light on the wallet. 125 ML cost me around USD 40 - 45.

This is a classic and genre defining fragrance, a fragrance which quite literally taught men to smell really well.

All in all a collectors dream and the greatest rendition of lavender and vanilla ever created.

Rating : A-

Pour Un Anyone
Thousands of reviews, eighty six years, lavender, vanilla, and musks. What's all the fuss been about? I finally get around to reviewing this classic masculine from Caron. Thank you so much for watching, hope you enjoy.

50something50something 2 months ago
It’s not my favorite; it’s always a bit odd with the lavender and vanilla on my skin, but I respect it for its simplicity and age. 8/10
TorkeTorke 10 months ago
Imagine you enter an Apocathery: You just smelled Caron Pour un Homme.
This said, in the best possible sense.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 10 months ago
Super cozy fragrance that opens with a manly lavender with musk, old fashion powdery scent. Then the sweetness of the vanilla and amber.
SyedSyed 1 year ago
Lavender and Vanilla; A Match made in Heaven
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
The most beautiful lavender, an aromatic unisex fragrance with musky, fresh spicy, amber, and vanilla main accords. A timeless masterpiece!
HubertGHubertG 1 year ago
Top 10 lifetime fragrance, best lavender ever, well balanced, fresh, clean and gets warm thanks to vanilla and amber, must have.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
(removed statement)
FirasmalanzyFirasmalanzy 2 years ago
It has an old school vibe but still good though, i layerd it with Montblanc Legend, it give's me a good smell.
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
Spicy, sweet and fresh masterpiece! The drydown is to die for, with one of the best vanilla notes in a fragrance for men. Trully recomended!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A blend of Lavender and Rosemary with Vanilla (+ Amber, Tonka & Musk). A classy and versatile fragrance to be worn at anytime and occasion.

Discussions about Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette)

Briarthorn in Perfumes & Brands

by Carboytony
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Caron

Tabac Blond (1919) (Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Millésime 2014 by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron En Avion (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Farnesiana (2017) (Parfum) by Caron Poivre (Extrait de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (2011) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pois de Senteur / Les Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi (Parfum) by Caron Or et Noir (1949) by Caron Rose (1949) by Caron Narcisse Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron