Royal Bain de CaronRoyal Bain de Champagne (1941)

Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron
Bottle Design: Felicie Wanapouille

Royal Bain de Caron is a perfume by Caron for women and men and was released in 1941. The scent is sweet-floral. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance.

Ernest Daltroff

Top Notes Top NotesLilac, Rose
Heart Notes Heart NotesBenzoin, Opoponax, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.09.2019

9.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

The Bath
It wasn't my intention, but it just happened. The image I had was too beautiful to look away. A little too early to come home on my part and looking for you in our premises. To follow the crackling of the water what was heard from the upper floor. Slowly climb up the stairs and walk towards the bathroom. Past the vase with the flowering lilac. The door is only leaned and not locked. There I could see you, observe you in your ritual of purification. Humid heat fills the bath. The air was foggy and milky like white smoky opal. Softly marked by lilac pregnant water vapor. To spy your silhouette behind the fogged glass of the shower, which was blind from the heat and the humid-humid air. To anticipate the contours of your body and your rosy tender skin. Time slowed down in that moment. I saw the creamy foam sliding down your back like butter-soft, melted opoponax. So waxy and tender. Drops of water that wet your body like in slow motion and looked for their way on your skin. Bursting foam bubbles on the glass of the shower. The air is pervaded by resinous soft amber and spicy tender vanilla of your shower cream. The smile on your lips as you paint the heart on the foggy window of the shower as you noticed me sometime. What a sensual-beautiful image revealed itself to me in this moment!

The fragrance
Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne is for me one of the most beautiful fragrances that can be used after a bathing ritual. It is applied after the bath like a body tonic and consists mainly of two very concise scents. Made of creamy resinous benzoin and waxy soft opoponax. Light chords of fully blossomed lilacs gently resonate. Also a delicately sweet rose chord. The entire fragrance is incredibly soft and radiates an indescribable warmth and comfort. This is further enhanced by the very harmonious addition of smoky vanilla and a powdery amber accord. Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne is like a pre-warmed, cozy bathrobe made of sensual scent that you step into after the bath and feel safe and protected. A cocoon of lascivious cosiness and cosy warmth. Wonderful!

I bought the first bottle Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne from Caron in Paris over twenty years ago. Together with the scent I got three small golden bath balls as a present. They were filled with a bath oil, which could be added by piercing with a needle into the hot bath water or directly onto the damp skin while showering. What I also did at a later time at home. As a result, the whole bathroom was flooded with this scent. What an impressive spectacle! Furthermore they gave me the tip, should the bath balls be once all to mix some jojoba oil with the fragrance in the ratio one to one. This, of course, only behind the back of the saleswoman's hand. She also told me that Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne was made for Aristotle Onassis at the time. It was a special design just for him. I cannot say whether this statement is true or not, but at least it came from the house of Caron itself. For whomever it was made, it is very, very beautiful and for me belongs to my three best Caron perfumes. And he still seems to be very popular, because Caron still has him in his assortment. I also bought another bottle, but this time the biggest one with 250ml. This one really looks like a piccolo in his box. I gave it to Mrs. Can for Santa Claus. And me, too, of course, because it's not even that expensive. Mrs.Can is in love with Royal Bain de Caron/Royal Bain de Champagne. She really thought I'd give her a little bottle of champagne.

Cute, isn't it?
2.5 2.5 6.0/10

hardly there
I'm sure all the notes listed are present in this fragrance, but they're all so uniformly weak and watered down, I hardly see the point of wearing it. Royal Bain is simply too soft and then fades within an hour or less.

I imagine if you enjoy this combination of notes and just want a faint whisper of something to sooth you to sleep at night, this might do the trick.

EDIT: After several hours of wearing this fragrance it seems to be projecting *more* than it was a few hours ago. Unusual, but not an unheard of thing for a fragrance to do. This morning I sprayed some on my tummy, and just now I stuck my nose down my blouse (no one was watching, I swear) and I got a nice, rich whiff of this lovely fragrance. So, safe to say, a skin scent.

Cheap & synthetic
I enjoy the impression of this scent, which wears as an amber vanilla on me. Unfortunately, it just smells a bit too cheap and synthetic in its current formulation. Pity.
4.0/10

Batch #Q6961492 GE
It's always fun to review perfumes from the house of Caron, because everyone knows that everything that anyone says may well be true—about their specific formulation! In this case, my generous vial of ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE bears the original name (before the champagne police filed another law suit, or did this one precede CHAMPAGNE/YVRESSE?) and came in a box with the reference/batch #Q6961492 GE.

All of this means, of course, that I can blather on with impunity, with no danger of anyone charging me with anosmia, since the likelihood that anyone reading these words has a sample from this very batch is no doubt vanishingly small. With this feeling of liberation to galvanize my spirit, let me begin by saying that I really had no idea whatsoever what this fragrance was about. The original name, to begin with, was all wrong—at least as regards the contents of my vial from batch #Q6961492 GE. Far from evoking images and memories of champagne, this bain would appear to be filled with chopped up leaves of wilted tuberose. It's not really tuberose, I realize, given the notes said to be in the original perfume, but that's what the overall effect is to my nose, a sort of pseudo-tuberose: thick and tuberose-esque without however approaching the heights (and authenticity) of FRACAS or CARNAL FLOWER. Key word here: thick.

How can she be detecting a thick pseudo-tuberose note in a fragrance devoid of tuberose? you may ask. Probably in the same way that a monkey sitting in front of a typewriter for an infinite amount of time would eventually produce all of the works of William Shakespeare. Just keep mixing the components up again and again, and forget the recipe, and let someone else throw in his two cents' worth of advice, and then start again, and fiddle some more, and eventually, when all the planets are correctly aligned, a vial drawn from batch #Q6961492 GE will find its way into the hands of a single sniffer, on a day with the right humidity, who has precisely the chemical components in her body created through the digestion of eggplant and garlic sauteed in sesame oil and served with sticky brown rice. That person, and that person alone, will smell pseudo-tuberose in ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE, batch #Q6961492 GE.

It's not bad, I think, but in order to fairly evaluate this scent, I'll need to try it in a bath. There's no point in complaining that an apple's not an orange, after all. If, as legend has it, ROYAL BAIN DE CHAMPAGNE was composed to be used as a surrogate solution for the champagne with which some wealthy gent scented his baths, then it really must be tested in those waters. I may have to acquire a bottle for that purpose. Do try this at home!

----------------------
Okay, I finally picked up a bottle: 8 ounces for $20. What? Then when it arrived, the bottle and box looked super cheap (logical, I know...)--a lot like all of those gross "used to be great perfume" reformulations sold in drugstores for sometimes single-digit dollars. And I guess, to be honest, it smells a bit like them, too. Dommage.

I'm wondering whether Caron is bottling swill in these jugs but perhaps better juice in the small bottles? Does anyone know?
7.0/10

Resinous Beauty
Royal bain de Caron is a very deep, woody, resin oriental.It gives you a deep stength of insence and benzoin at first spray.Calms down to an sweet vanillic cedary base.You can smell florals at heart but the perfume is still overwhelmed by woods.
I think it reminds me of being in a pine forest smelling wild flowers in earthy ground.
An old scent inspired by Caron Perfumery attracted to busy and energetic women of today.Be careful not to apply a generous dose.A couple of sprays is more than enough.Recommend it for you but give it a try first ,some may find it to strong to wear!

Carlitos01 89 days ago
Sweet myrrh by Caron. It's balsamic & resinous, very sweet and with floral facets. It's a light and confy after shower or bath balmy gem.+3
Trucklady 128 days ago
Love/hate/respect in equal amounts. I tire of its onslaught after an hour. Tenacious and linear, but well executed.

by Undsofort
by Griseldis
by LanaL
by LanaL

Popular Caron

Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron L'Anarchiste (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Narcisse Noir (1960) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Yuzu Man by Caron Royal Bain de Caron / Royal Bain de Champagne by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleur de Rocaille by Caron Aimez-Moi (1996) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Fleurs de Rocaille (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Lady Caron (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Sport by Caron