Yatagan 1976 Eau de Toilette

Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) by Caron
Yatagan (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Caron for men and was released in 1976. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Cattleya Finance. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Galbanum, Lavender, Petitgrain
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Pine needle, Carnation, Patchouli, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Coconut, Labdanum, Leather, Musk, Styrax

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 07.05.2021.

Yatagan is the name of an Ottoman sword and a Turkish city.

5.5
Blunt Ottoman Sabre
I compare this fragrance for me always with Azzaro Pour Homme.
Not so much by the fragrance itself, but by the fact that I can smell out in both that they are actually high-quality perfumes, but as much as I want, I just can not like them.
Definitely nixed for the younger crowd. The pine needles in the heart note are not capitalized here at Parfumo for nothing.
The beautiful composition of the individual components make him nice spicy hot..
What blunts the saber but is that he comes across to me too tart, too leathery.
A fragrance that comes to me since then as a child on many 60 year old birthdays and golden weddings known.
Not bad, but I myself would not like to smell so.
A statement would probably have sufficed here, but there he would probably be mistakenly not so well off and would probably not have received the necessary respect, he seems to have a large fan base here ;)

Pine is fine
“Hmm pine”
“yes very aromatic, a bit smoky too”
“I don’t care, I hate pine”
“Lots of herbs”
“Pine blehh”
“Leather, you love leather”
“Well yeah, but..”
“Just smell that herbal leather”
“I don’t want to”
“slightly animale, tad bitter”
*sigh*
“stop resisting”
“Ohhhkay fine, I admit”
“Admit what?”
“I love it”
“Even with pine?”
“Pine is fine”

Chizza
In search of the scimitar
"Gagackgaaack! Gagaaaack!"
"Why so excited, Polly? What happened?"
"Pick, cackle, pick!"
"Ah, we have a new order! The legendary scimitar Yatagan that is...we'll find him! But...I'm afraid we'll need a new team first..."
"Cluck"
"Right. Melissa is still in custody. The faun Floyd lost in the woods, Mariella took a wrong turn in the sea, it's just the two of us now. Time for a new crew!"
"Pick, scrape, cluck?"
"No, you think? Just declare the former bad guys good guys? I have a hard time with that, especially with Fieso Duck aka Mr Cologne. Melissa we could get out with an elaborate plan, I'm thinking a daring piece about prison laundering..."
"Gagaack!"
"Sure, five euros bail would work but the bank is ready. Let's oblige the supporting cast so far, MahatmaGandix has been grumbling into her mead at the inn for days. The Swiss duo, the Bernese Mountain Dogs Vracache and Bloodxklebt might have time too?"
"Bwoack!"
"Ok, not them, difficult with the border because of Corona, I get it. Well, let's pay the five euros."

No sooner said than done. Melisse was taken out of her solitary cell, in which she was still specially chained, because no one else dared to approach her. Before it started, Flower had to pick up her things at the issue desk.
"So, Ms. Melissa, is everything there?"
"Well...flamethrower check, a plucked leaf of each of my mortal enemy flowers check, my Caron set check...where's my sword?"
"Ah, sure, we just had it cleaned, there's a lot of blood on it."
"Yeah, a lot accumulates in a week."

So off they went, misty-eyed with yatagan and crossing the raging river, known only as Mrs. Holle for its regularly sheep-wool infused waters. In the end, only MahatmaGandix wasn't waiting as arranged.
"Uh...who are you?"
"Mahatma has been detained."
"Oh, her archenemies Nas Grandma Tto?"
"No, she tried to bounce the bill and the landlord is holding her. She has to flush, no money on her."
"And you are....?"
"They call me the Medicus Medianus."
"Ah, a doctor?"
"No, I just like to call myself that. Noah Gordon, you know."

"What's that smell?"
"We're getting closer to the Yatagan, only accessible by olfactory perception. I clearly perceive the green-bitter pine needle. It smells slightly animalistic, where is that coming from?"
"that would have to be galbanum, it smells herbaceous, it reminds of conifers, a rather dark tart resin smell. Bitter becomes the Chose by the spicy tarragon. That also provides at the same time for some loosening up."
"Exciting, it becomes more needle after some time, possesses a slightly burnt aroma."
"Fact, now it's getting really leathery. Let's move on for now."

So you made your way through the jungle that suddenly opened up, until a grassy landscape followed. "Do you guys notice anything? This is where Jasmine should be..."
"Killed them all, none left," said the killer Melissa.
So it then became rather smoky-spicy, because the killer melissa had additionally set the vetiver slightly on fire. In addition, there was now the strict and not at all stale leather scent. This was clearly green-spicy to perceive.
"Where did that come from?"
"Well, there seems to be a resident leather goods maker. Look! He's running towards us!"
"Hello friends! Are you looking for the yatagan? Let me help you! Look back there for citrus elements."
"Bwoack!"
"No, no egg now, Polly, but thank you."
"Gaack!"
"Yeah, that seems funny to me too. Yatagan isn't citrusy at all. The oakmoss is actually pushing through stronger and greener right now, after several hours. Also, I noticed the 5 liter splash bottles from Spain. I'll try something. But first a song:
"Break the bread and drink the wine, in my heart Bastian will live forever
# The time to go is never right when we say goodbye # While Can is here we shouldn't waste a day in life to say I love you
It's now that I just wish so much to see you
Eye to eye Eye to eye
Eye to eye."
"Gack?"
"Oh, was supposed to be something about black metal, nihilistic, destructive and misanthropic. Anyway now, I'm off with my plan."

"Hey you!"
"?"
"Colognestrength tip!"
A sudden shout and the supposed leather goods maker burst into flames.
"Noooo! You got me, as true is the cologne uncle am!"
As soon as he fell over, he revealed the view of the golden Yatagan. This shone gracefully and nobly, ergo(Proxy) our friends admired it, pocketed it, and had mastered the adventure.
So our friends finally conquered the Yatagan and justified with this story comment 36 to an already extensively discussed and known fragrance. One was walking home when suddenly the earth opened up before them and....all of them suddenly exclaimed.... "Faun Floyd! So that's where he was buried!"

Rquill67
Aromatic, green and smoky! Love it!
I blind-bought this fragrance and I'm so glad I did. I've read a ton of reviews both here on Fragrantica and from YouTube fragrance channels. I waited a while to get this one, and even though I had read and watched many reviews, I still don't think I was ready for what I smelled. I love this fragrance from Caron and there's a lot going on.

It's woody, aromatic, green, herbal, spicy and smoky. There are too many notes to list, and the notes that stay in the dry-down come together perfectly. I can smell patchouli, incense, oak moss and basil the most.

It's like hiking east Asia and walking into a small village on the side of the mountain and you can smell the fire, the smoke & oak moss, the green herbs drying, the sweet incense curling up through the air perfuming your clothes. I am really happy with this one. Totally worth it guys! Take the plunge if you don't want to purchase yet another mass-appealing fragrance with the same old same old DNA.

10 out of 10 for me!

Yatagan
A mid 70s release composed by a perfumer with only two other titles to his credit, with arguably Yatagan being his most well known. This eau de toilette has a bit of a cult following, and here is my take. I hope you enjoy and thank you for watching.

Franz Schubert, Trio op. 100-Andante con moto
I took a long time to make this comment. When I bought this fragrance in 2019, my expectations were very high because of the comments here (especially from @Konsalik-though thank you now!). Also because of the very combative naming...
It was probably also due to my very untrained nose at the time that I put the scent down under the category "nice and warm" when I first wore it. I wore it subsequently in monthly intervals. Whenever I was just fed up with the favourites in my collection. My surroundings perceived the fragrance differently. Commentary collection: "old-fashioned", "dusty", "for grandpas" but also "what is it?", "never smelled" and "I would like to be able to wear it", "super classic". I have to admit that Crowdpleasers don't really fit my character. I would love to wrap myself up in Gaultier Le Male, Chanel Egoist and the like. You smell really nice. From my life, character and age, "nice" just doesn't fit anymore. Neither for the people who know me well, nor for myself. With 45 you have already experienced a lot and you have also taken some scars from life with you. These scars are also the edges of my character. And my fragrances should underline this! Over the last half, Yatagan has become a faithful companion. Not to every situation. Not to every mood. There is too much polarity in the fragrance due to age and ingredients. The polarity of the fragrance is for me now the silent power that rests in it. A silent power that connects and grounds me to my own life story. It simply creates a powerful centre. And I certainly do not want to rest in my middle all the time. But life, which a few years still experience as an adventure. But the old adventurers need more moments of center and congruence from their mid-40s on. In the moment and to their own history Now how can this fragrance be described? As with all grandiose compositions, this is also extremely difficult for me with Yatagan. The individual components are so masterfully interwoven that no single component stands out strongly, but delivers an olfactory total work of art. It simply smells like Yatagan to me. Very great art. I'll try it anyway..
Preferably with an olfactory experience from my childhood. Friends of our family was a married couple. He was a Viennese ex-diplomat. Born 1910. She a few years younger. Childless. Again and again we were invited as a family in the early eighties to their villa in the 18th district of Vienna. The lady of the house was a world champion cook and hostess. My saliva still runs when I think of her crumble cake. She was also a very well-groomed lady. I remember she always smelled of perfume. I was 8 years old in 1983 and my brother was 6. My younger brother, my mother and the lady of the house were always busy in the garden with the Yorkshire Terrier. Because of my mother's overflowing love of animals, my father was a little saturated with pets. Ditto the master of the house regarding the Yorkshire Theatre. So both were equal in the living room and each took a seat on an armchair. And so was I, at eight years old. I was incredibly fascinated by the furnishings of this living room and the stories of the widely travelled diplomat. I sat silently in the corner and followed my father's intellectual conversation with this gentleman in the three-rowed heron. Of course I did not understand anything. But I didn't care. On the one hand, the diplomat's appearance was unprecedentedly confident. Even my worldly father could forget his immanent fluency in his stories. On the other hand, the diplomat was a passionate pipe smoker. And it was most fascinating for me to witness this celebration of the selection of tobacco, the selection of pipes, the plugging of the pipe and the pleasurable smoking. The whole living room was also decorated with ancient artifacts of his various destinations as a diplomat. One meter high African statues with erect penis, masks in all colors from South America to ward off the evil spirits, burial artifacts from ancient Egypt, coins from ancient Rome and a lot of Greek vases. Also the extensive library contributed its own to my fascination. The diplomat smoked from his pipe and told me about long gone times of his professional life. The smoke of the flavoured tobacco (sherry, whisky?) filled the living room with a pleasant, slightly sweetish smell and entered into a most wondrous olfactory combination with the patina of the artefacts. The living room bordered on the terrace. I remember that the terrace doors were open, and the lavender placed there, animated by the mild summer breeze, made a further contribution to this olfactory event. At some point, the lady of the house came by with the crumble cake freshly freed from the oven. In the wake of the Yorkshire Terrier. So the whole thing still got a slightly animalistic touch.
If I did not have this childhood experience, to this fragrance, I would be unable to describe it adequately.
I'll try a conclusion anyway:
Top note:
steamed vanilla on a barborshop bed
Heart note:
Coniferous wood becomes stronger
Base note:
Amber and musk in the gentle form accompany head and heart
Durability on cotton and linen plus 10 hours
Durability on the skin about 6 hours
Sillage is perceptible at 1.5 m for the first hour. Afterwards the scent projects on the skin. Only perceptible under 20 cm. But this is very, very pleasant because of the amber
When is this fragrance wearable? Always at temperatures below 25 degrees.
When does the fragrance work? Best with a shirt
Who can wear the scent? A man in his mid-thirties. Provided he is not a yes-man and is himself a distinctive personality.
You should have a certain amount of patience to experience this magnificently composed fragrance!
When would I not recommend this fragrance? Not for a rendezvous and not for the gym or a day at the lake in summer...

Person to the fragrance:
Song to the fragrance:
Drink to the fragrance:
Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or
Getting deliciously hypnotized?
Jo, Yatagan needed a commentary on that. A small statement was already made.
This wonderful scent rushed past me and the more often I dealt with it, the more it captivated me
I'm not really into sweet scents, but some perfumers manage to combine the individual components in such a way that something very special is created. Yatagan is so successful. Here the sweetness, combined with the oriental and animal touch has something hypnotic... at least for me.

Unfortunately, the scent only lasts mediocre in my case and the sillage is not the burner either. But with this full, warm and delicious nasal pleasure almost incidental. Since the fragrance was created in 1976, you can probably call it oldschool, but I think it fits perfectly into today's world, if you're not into mainstream.

What makes Yatgan so delicious for me is probably the extraordinary and soft spice. My nose tells me clove, actually more like cloves. It smells a bit like speculoos. By the way, the brown juice looks like it too. This should also be clear, our friend is not really light and summery...
for a cozy evening by the fireplace but a good choice. Simply wonderfully delicious.

I would also recommend this treat to young self-confident, perhaps sensitive men and of course women. I don't sign so completely unisex, but the deliciously sweet nature should appeal to women as well.

For me love was at first sight and then clearly a purchase.
Yatagan
from where?

the trees groaned heavily and crashed into mud, moss and herbaceous earth.
The log pond in the sawmill gratefully collected the scents of the giants; a melange that made me curious about the origin.

Africa, of course Africa.

And I stumbled over the tap roots, fell into the heavy earth, into the impenetrable past of the black continent; broke through the dense curtains of the mangrove, in which individual flowers flushed in from the Atlantic hung and breathed deeply. What a fragrance!

Long flight.

The Gueltas in the Ennedi massif are already behind me. The animal breath of past crocodiles fled quietly over the sand of Sudan and slowly disappeared into the nightfall.

Yatagan.
Konsalik
"Peaceful as the forest, you mean? You don't even know what you're talking about, you lout!"
There is a certain class of figures that have meanwhile at least disappeared from German-language literature, but were more frequently to be found until the 1960s - not only in upmarket literature, but also in H.G. Konsalik's and Co.'s works - for example, Joseph Roth's œuvre or Alexander Lernet-Holenia's, in particular. Here in short strokes an exemplary illustration: A lean, elderly gentleman of at most medium size sits in the leather armchair of his small library. The accurate moustache and the surprisingly flowing movement of his age, with which he leaves the armchair to greet him, suggest a somehow military background. The handshake is firm, but not dominant, the conversation develops friendly, the eyes are lively and interested even in casually cut themes. Not the slightest trace of senile bitterness. A classic gentleman in every way? A "gentleman", therefore, to try this shamefully ridden, poor word again? Is it so easy?
On the window-side wall and behind some showcase panes there are all sorts of irritating things: Cossack arrows and bows, a somehow Turkish looking sabre (well...), strange headgear, a Tschibuk pipe, started orders, which neither to Prussia, Saxony, Bavaria nor to the k.u.k.. Monarchy include, a dried monkey hand (?), something that looks like a shrunken garland (??).
The visit asks about the bearskin that was draped so casually-beautifully on the Divan, just to find out that it fell to the former officer (so much we already know) during a Balkan offensive. Separated from most of his regiment in the snowy skirmishes, he had no choice: without the warmth of the bearskin (and, please, his still steaming intestines!), he and his adjutant would hardly have survived the night. It turns out during the afternoon that his life was woven from such episodes. He was one of those men to whom the inner call of the adventure came at least as loudly to the ear as the call of duty. Rhodesia, Indo-China, Asia Minor. Monstrous stories, even more monstrous hints. On the table, Rilke's Malte Laurids Brigge. In a way, a double man, double enormous, in which not, as in us, civilization and savagery lead the eternally same, eternally murky battles, but both, in that the elements were at the same time led to their extremes, experienced a dialectical envelope as it were. Another uncanny, awe-inspiring realization of human possibilities.

Why now does Yatagan make me think of a man of this beat of all people? The fragrance impression actually bears the characteristics of a "gentleman's fragrance" that seems classic to us: a bright, conifery-etheric forest fragrance, almost a little medical. However, already just below the surface it is over with the cleanliness. The impression of nature is not embellished and far away from cultivated gardens with idyllic groves where the eye can rest. This forest is not safe. The whole picture reveals to us undergrowth, in which skeleton bleaches. The otherwise so uniform earth scent splits into its elements and not all are lovely: urine, secretions, an elusive impression of heat (Meanwhile reformulated?) Gar neutered? Then what kind of bestial bomb must he have been in the seventies?! Hard to imagine...). After a few hours then more conciliatory leather notes: The animal is eaten, its skin tanned. Plus a hunch of incense. The durability is good, the Sillage never exceeds an arm's length when used sparingly. Uniqueness? For my part, I haven't smelled anything like that yet.

Anyone who is seriously interested in an "Alpha-Male" fragrance that ranks beyond ridiculous office stallion caricatures and disco furniture fragrances should be referred to this fragrance. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pay a single compliment at the beginning, but with his primordial conception of masculinity hidden under the Saubermann shell, which lies deeper, he could unfold a profound, yes, "pheromone-like" effect. Perhaps not a perfume for every day, but one that can force the wearer into a certain posture when he needs it.

The fountain of Youth
The Yatagan fragrance by Caron, is in its late forties but looking like it's going to live forever... forever young!
It is a magnificent and contundent animalic fragrance. It's one of the best examples of a very manly perfume, as per my perception. Yatagan exists to satisfy perfume lovers (like me), who love the smell of tanned leather, horse stables, cellaries, wood smoke and heavy herbs composition. It is a mixture of beauty and massiveness. Its clinging warm, bold, and sensual scent that also evoques rare oriental woods and incense.
All the note lists I consulted are different and Caron doesn't have an official one in their site. I will just follow my nose and write about the notes and accords that seem right to me.
This is a not extinct tyranosauric male fragrance of the 70s and 80s. Yatagan reminds me of some "green", "fougére" and "chypre" fragrances from the XXth century. I may recall Polo Green, Jaguar for Men and Quorum for instance. But the perfume that comes mainly to my mind is Halston Z14 also created by Vincent Marcello. They do not have a similar scent, but evoque a similar feeling and vibe. If you are looking for a similar fragrance I can just suggest "Elogie du Traitre" by Etat Libre d'Orange and the discontinued "Phileas" by Nina Ricci. Nevertheless I do like the Caron's fragrance a lot more.
Comparing it with the perfumes I mentioned, Yatagan is sharper and drier, with heavy spicy notes of culinary estragon (or tarragon or basil), galbanum, leather, smoke and no sweetness at all. The pine heavy note in here is not fresh green. On the contrary, it is dry and steaming like a pinewood in a hot, dry Mediterranean Summer. The best way to describe this smoke note is both soft and rough fume, with a musky and coriaceous scent, and a bit of resin as well.
Addressing the "cellary" accord, besides the animalic note, several other notes fulfill that association: galbanum, lavender, pine, oak moss, artemisia and geranium are quite present. These "notes ensemble" create a veggy effect that reminds you of a grocery at the end of a busy day, or a barnyard scent.
The animal note enhances the latent softness of the fragrance, forcing the notes into a continuous blend. It is by no means out of place. In fact, it may be the main agreement that people experience in this fragrance. I'll even say it's really close to what natural good quality castoreum smells. It's just divine and apropriated.
After such an heavy collection of notes description, performance may disapoint a bit as it is only a bit above average and not beasty as you might expect.

Let's look at the math analisys for Yatagan:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 9.5 (very very good heavy fougére with smoky, earthy and animalic vibes)
- Drydown: 8.5 (very good but a more common scent of moss and animal leather than what you get during the stages evolution)
- Longevity: 8.0 (8~9 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.0 (up to 5~6 feet with 3 sprays; projects for 2 hours; just a skin scent after the 5th hour.
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (unique, very well blended, giving me some faint vibes of other fragrances but similar only to one still in production: Elogie d'un Traitre)
- Versatility: 7.5 (I use it almost everywhere but because I like it so much. You must be carefull with people who does not tolerate animalic scents. Don't use it while working out or in the beach)
- Wearability: 8.0 (high during Winter, Spring and Autumn, but avoid extreme heat or cold).
- Compliments: 7.0 (It's an "almost" universal pleaser, but... just for animalic scent lovers)
- Quality: 9.5 (my opinion - does not suggest even a small vibe of being cheap or synthetic. It does smell expensive; with a little better performance it would deserve a 10.0)
- Presentation: 7.5 (discrete but Ok. Excellent cap and sprayer.)
- Price: 9.5 (100 ml non tester for 28 Euros + VAT)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Average: 8.37 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Advice: Try before you buy if you are not familiar with animalic fragrances.

Quoting Wikipedia: "The yatagan or yataghan (from Turkish "yatagan") is a type of Ottoman knife or short sabre used from the mid-16th to late 19th centuries. The yatagan was extensively used by horse riders in Ottoman Turkey and in areas under immediate Ottoman influence, such as the Balkans and the Caucasus.
The majority of yatagans date from the period 1750-1860, and from the number of plain, wooden-hilted weapons they were honest fighting weapons as well as ornate parade weapons. The more ornate examples were often worn as a status symbol by civilians, as well as military men, much in the way smallswords were worn in 18th century Western Europe. Occasionally blades were cut down from broadswords or cavalry swords, but in general the forward-curving single-edged blade was used."

The name really fits well this fragrance. I do recommend it but be prepared for an unique heavy perfume.

Music: The Animals - "House of rising sun"

BertolucciKBertolucciK 3 months ago
Mainly green, woody and aromatic scent where the pine needle plays the main role. But it's also smoky, leathery, animalic and spicy.
FranknSenseFranknSense 1 year ago
An over masculine fragrance icon. The heavy leather and the pine needle notes just give this fragrance an enviable badass character. Great!
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
There were moments when I realized myself that I became an adult. So was the day I first wore Yatagan.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
This is a bold leather scent. Pine, patchouli, labdanum and leather are mastered to impress as one of the most masculine scents available.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
The animalic note enhances the fragrance latent softness. It's really close to what natural good quality castoreum smells. It's just divine.
OPomoneOPomone 5 years ago
Oh, what a beautiful day! I'm wearing Yatagan :D
Is there any better embodiment of olfactive bliss for a man?

...es ist so schön am Ende eines sonnigen Frühlingsnachmittags am Bach zu träumen...
by Graybeard
by Franzuschek
by Somebody
by Somebody

Popular Caron

Tabac Blond (Parfum) by Caron Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron Millésime 2014 by Caron Le 3ᵉ Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Parfum Sacré (1990) (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Pour Un Homme de Caron / L'Impact de Pour Un Homme (Parfum) by Caron Montaigne (2007) by Caron Nuit de Noël (Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Parfum) by Caron En Avion (Parfum) by Caron Farnesiana (2017) (Parfum) by Caron Nocturnes (1981) (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Montaigne (2017) (Parfum) by Caron N'Aimez que Moi (Parfum) by Caron Accord 119 (Eau de Parfum) by Caron Bellodgia (Eau de Toilette) by Caron Or et Noir (1949) by Caron Rose (1949) by Caron