Déclaration d'un Soir (2012)

Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier

Déclaration d'un Soir is a perfume by Cartier for men and was released in 2012. The scent is spicy-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCardamom, Cumin, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesNutmeg, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.10.2019

YsbrandYsbrand 7 years ago

„Twilight rose”

ApiciusApicius 7 years ago

„Let's get naked...”

...for Cartier's new Déclaration d'un Soir! This outsandingly well done fragrance is so paradisical beautiful that you only should enjoy it in the state of innocence. The...
7.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Fresh21
... and it has made boom :-)
A whole 9 months of maturity has needed this comment after I first became intimate with this fragrance. Yes, quite comparable with a birth he now steps into the light of the public, and may please mankind with ...

S:a:g m:a:l, g:e:h:t's n:o:c:h?

No reason for you to meddle in Alter Ego again just because I'm getting all excited.

N:a:j:a, S:c:h:w:e:m:e:n g:e:h:t j:a w:o:h:l a:n:d:e:r:s.

Oh, what do you know, you sexless alien.

K:e:i:n:e D:i:s:k:r:e:d:i:t:i:e:r:u:n:g:e:s:c:h:l:e:c:h:t:s:l:o:s:e:r A:l:i:e:n:s, b:i:t:t:e!

OK, but then stay out of it.

R:o:g:e:r.

When I sprayed this Cartier on for the first time, it immediately reminded me of an experience about 15 years ago. I visited the Renault Technocentre with a colleague, and as we entered the entrance hall I blindly followed its shadow as I looked down and pulled out my business cards. Only when I arrived at the reception desk did I look up again, forward, and from that moment in two eyes as fascinating and as big as the snake Kaa. I was instantly;) hypnotized, rooted and shocked in love. This unbelievably beautiful creature stood opposite me with a distance of only 50-60 cm exactly at eye level, and I didn't even bring out a "umm" on her "Bonjour". So we just stood there and stared at each other ... she used to such moments for sure, I didn't.

N:e' T:t:t:e M:i:t:l:e:i:d g:e:f:l:l:i:g?

Nonsense, but something seems to be wrong :) when you are suddenly confronted live and in colour with a kind of "natural perfection" ;) which you have never encountered before in fields and meadows. And now to the core of things, because this obviously creates an unfamiliar emotion and mind split between please very close, and yet unapproachable - just like Déclaration d'un Soir for me ... And yes, that is also meant physically. Because closer than 50-60 cm, thus an arm length I cannot "bear" this beauty. In fact, this essence is a little unapproachable, strange and surreal for me - but still extremely attractive. Because of its strong sillage only two splashes on the back of the hand are enough for me, which guarantees the required distance. But then it is a dream (although I wear it so seldom that my 100ml will probably survive me clearly;-)

Unfortunately I can't describe this wonderful Déclaration d'un Soir as well as the previous speakers, because of the snake Kaa effect :) but also because I don't feel it so differentiated. It starts off explosively as an unusual mix of peppery spice and rose, in roughly equal proportions. There may be something slightly synthetic about it, but it is by no means disturbing. Cardamom clearly, cumin a little, but plenty of pepper, but nothing biting. Initially I notice something fruity, which makes the fragrance rounder, but fresher. This decreases in the first half hour slowly until it becomes sharper afterwards by the Muskat still a pinch, but at the same time also somewhat more sweetly. And this balancing act is his recipe for success, I think. On one side the "hardness" of the unapproachable sharpness, and on the other the proximity of the soft dark red rose that I have in mind. And so the smell remains for 7-8 hours, into which in the further quite linear smell process only a little sandalwood may mix itself.

Yes, that was indeed a long birth, to finally put my feeling of this fragrance into words. Because whenever the tenor of this commis once again had in mind, he disappeared again, ... actually somehow unapproachable :-) And yet I would like to recommend this extraordinary rose scent to the fair femininity ;-) in the hope that you can say
again
...and it did boom :-)

9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Micscent
A dozen roses for the man (5/12)
As a newcomer here, I'm going to try my hand at a series of comments. This is the fifth part.

The motivation, the idea and the criteria
I'm a real fan of the scent of roses (in my youth my mother had Paris from YSL. I found "the hammer") But the rose isn't exactly the one you first come across as part of a men's fragrance. Nevertheless, I think the rose is contained in more and more men's fragrances.
According to the following criteria I have selected 12 of these fragrances and will comment and compare them bit by bit:
- Men's fragrance (exception Desert Rose from Urban Scents as unisex fragrance, I just had to add)
- Rose as heart note (exception: Much ado about the Duke of Penhaligon, I was just in London at the idea)
- Published from the year 2000
- Rating of at least 6.0 with at least 40 ratings
- No Oud (not so mine)

Fragrance No. 5 is: Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier (*2012)
(previously: (1) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian, (2) 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract by Atkinsons, (3) Lyric Man by Amouage, (4) Colonia Ambra by Acqua di Parma)

The house, the perfumer and the shopping
In 1847, Louis-Francois Cartier took over his master's jewellery studio in Paris, thus laying the foundation for today's Cartier. Starting from jewellery, a watch division was established in 1874, and in 1981 the first fragrances, "Must de Cartier" and "Santos", were added. The name "Santos" probably goes back to the pilot watch "Cartier Santos" developed in 1904, the first wristwatch with a leather strap. Since 1997, Cartier has been part of the Richemont Group, which also includes brands such as A. Lange & Söhne, IWC and Jaeger-LeCoultre as well as Chloé and Net-A-Porter.
The perfumer of "Déclaration d'un Soir" - Mathilde Laurent (*1976) - studied biology and chemistry at ISIPCA ("Institut Supérieur du Parfum des Cosmétiques et des Aromes" in Versailles), where Francis Kurkdjian and some of the protagonists of "A Dozen Roses for Men" also studied. At the beginning of the 90s she met Jean-Paul Guerlain at a school party and asked him for an internship. He's supposed to have simply replied, "Why not?" This was the beginning of 11 years of work for Guerlain in which the reinterpretation of the cult fragrance "Shalimar" ("Shalimar Eau Légère") was created. She joined Cartier in 2005. Here she became the first female "chief perfumer" and creative director. "Olfactory shock", "instinctive beauty", "invisible jewellery", "freedom" and "overdose" are the keywords of her vision of a perfume.
For the bottling of "Déclaration d'un Soir" I would like to thank BruceLee.
once again
The fragrance, the ingredients and the experience
Oriental, striking and peppery is the prelude to this "olfactory shock". The cardamom, in the canon of oriental spices, is the first voice. Cardamom, which belongs to the ginger family, brings the "invisible jewelry" as complementary perceptions - they are sharp and slightly sweet as well as flowery and fruity with citrus-like notes. Memories of eucalyptus and camphor awaken. Incidentally, cardamom was already used for perfumes in the first century after Christ. The other components are in agreement: The black pepper brings further sharpness. The cumin or cumin, which I announced in the commentary on "Lumière Noire pour homme", introduces the rose here - as there - and gives the fragrance a warmer base. This is absorbed by the nutmeg, which - after about an hour - together with the floweriness of the rose makes the scent more sensual and warmer. From my point of view, the whole thing is not sterile, but becomes an "instinctive beauty", unmistakable and special. The rose plays around more than it takes on the leading role and the sandalwood in the base brings - after about three hours - besides the warmth a light velvety, but also emphasizes once again the oriental basic tone of the fragrance.

The conclusion, the comparison and the practical application
"A stormy revelation" writes Chartier himself. And this fragrance is certainly not pleasantly balanced. Here the "freedom" was taken to redefine the consistently very traditional ingredients. This actually works - at least at the beginning - like an "overdose". And by the way this is - from my point of view - the consequent further development of the original fragrance "Déclaration" from 1998. I was shocked at the beginning and am now a fan of this fragrance. But that's exactly what Mathilde Laurent wants. Their fragrances are designed as "active ingredients designed to convey strong emotions". And that is the case here! So far an average rating of 7 out of 250 ratings. I must set an example and give a 10, not least for the consistent implementation of a vision.

(1) Lumière Noire pour Homme - The noble softie
(2) 24 Old Bond Street Triple Extract - The elegant Brite
(3) Lyric Man - The "pure" Rose
(4) Colonia Ambra - The "warm (rose) wood"
(5) Déclaration d'un Soir - The "olfactory emotion"
7.0 9.0 10.0 8.0/10

JosephAzzato
a wonderful but lingering fragrance
you can smell the rose and pepper the whole ride through this fragrance I absolutely love it till it starts driving me nut's wishing it would just go away! thats right it's one of those scents that is wonderful all the way around but only for so long!
if you don't understand let me ex-plane a tactical torch-er device used today and for many years now
it's called Music thats right music! music is used to torch-er people out of buildings by playing the same song over and over and over again to drive some one MAD while some songs we love we would say no way I can listen to this song and do over and over again! well are you really??? 24-7 no brakes even while you sleep walk shop run air-ens talk to friends family every social gathering imaginable during movies sleeping waking up taking a shower wiping your bleeeeeeepp yeah did not think so ;)
well in our fragrances we have things called notes :D its an art like music accept we watch/listen but with our nose to know this one or enjoy it just like watching a movie or listening to our favorite song

this fragrence is a wonderful song but it lingers so long that you just wish it would go away! and while it is a beautiful song or piece of art you can only put up with it for so long before it becomes torch-er!

I am not saying don't get this one I am just saying you have been warned!
however you should absolutely try it it's just don't use it on occasions like a date that is not going to get a brake from you for a long time, while I love this one it is one of those you can only stand for so long before you start wanting to run from it

Joseph God Bless

~ Spring Rose & Spice ~
~ Perfumer Ms Laurent has captured her creations intent by making my own "heart beat faster" and now "speaking my mind" with praise for this handsome perfume! I have had d'un Soir suggested to me many times as a formal gentleman's scent but always resisted, that is until now! This doesn't fail to evoke a pleasant image and it suits me well. If you are man reading this and are hesitant of rose notes rest easy! The unisex creation I find here in pepper and wood balances out the sensitive romantic notes of rose and cardamom to perfection. All with no fear of the cumin note as it is very subdued compared to the original. The smooth sweet dry down carries me back to pleasant memories of the green spring rose garden and country home of my youth. A charming fresh sillage with great longevity in tasteful glass that will compliment any shelf of the finest niche bottles.
Kind Regards, Plat ~
7.0/10

Déclaration d'un Soir
discrete perfume completely different from the original declaration that i still appreciate more than this ...this is simply peppery spiced rose nothin new and astonishing remember many 80's masculine frags ,sillage and projection aren't too big here ,it should b a perfect scent at office or during working day ,i won't never wear this for a special evening
10.0 5.0 10.0 6.0/10

Purity of Purpose with Some Cautions
Bottom Line -
Declaration d'un Soir is a real break from the original Declaration, featuring an almost Rose soliflore structure this time around. A dark, silky Rose dominates the scent from top to bottom. The masculine categorization is just wrong, honestly; it's at a minimum unisex - and I'd argue feminine-leaning. It's beautiful taken in the right context, but has limited wearability for men. Buyer beware, and test before purchasing.

It earns moderately-high marks for purity of purpose, but comes with some cautions.

Scent -
The opening has a strong, dark Rose with a bit of generic spice as window-dressing. Within the first few minutes, the super-robust Rose all but pushes every other note aside to assert itself. The mids are essentially the same, all Rose. I know there's supposed to be pepper and nutmeg along the way, but I can't uniquely identify those notes under the heavy Rose blanket. The base introduces a meek sandalwood, which seems creamy and nice but very understated.

If you love your Rose dark, strong and in a featured position, Declaration d'un Soir is a worthy candidate. If you are looking for a more complex or balanced Rose-centric frag, this may not meet your requirements. See Other Notes below for potential alternatives.

Wear Performance -
The top notes are a bit strong, but not quite off-putting, just don't spray immediately before walking into the office. The combination of STRONG and ROSE might make you the talk of the office over lunch, but maybe not in the best way. After 10 minutes to settle though, projection and sillage are moderate to strong for a couple of hours, pulling back to a skin scent for the rest of the ride. Total longevity seems to be in the 8+hr range. It's a realistic all-day or all-night option. There's not much development, to my nose, until the very end when the basenotes make a vague appearance.

Wear Scenarios -
This is where this frag becomes tricky, and "personal satisfaction" becomes a very central measure. As usual, if you just love it, then figure out a way to wear it. However, short of that I would recommend cool days, cool nights, for up-scale dress occasions and pretty much no other times.

As this scent comes across as a bit strong and formal, I'd prefer to dress it up, rather than wearing this over jeans & t-shirt for the movies. I would both caution and encourage this one as a date fragrance. To elaborate:

From the man's perspective, I could see certain women really appreciating this as a nice Rose and lapping this up; maybe asking to borrow it. The moderate projection also works well for close-quarters enjoyment.

There's a very real possibility though that other ladies may find this a little less than masculine (not unfairly so), and discourage it's wear on future dates.

From the ladies' perspective, this should wear beautifully on feminine skin, as it really is a nice Rose and I know that I personally am looking forward to asking the GF to try it soon.

I am actually wearing this at work today, and while I'm totally enjoying the aroma in my office, I'm having second thoughts about wearing this in any closed-door meetings. Possibly an unpopular choice for conservative workplaces.

This cologne is in my opinion, as a man, more for personal enjoyment and was obviously not conceived as a general-purpose crowd-pleaser, so I think the key phrase here is "pick your spots". Maybe not to the extreme of Black Afgano, but approaching that.

Other Notes -
From the reviews I'd read, and the note breakdown, I would've expected this to be much closer to Le Labo Rose 31 - a spicy Rose. But to my nose, this is much closer to a pure Rose scent. It's a bit pricey at rack prices for a pretty common designer fragrance: $80 for 50ml or $105 for 100ml.

Other worthy competitors in this space that I've smelled, and do this at least as well, would include: Rose 31, Rose Anonyme, Lumiere Noire, Noire de Noire.
7.5 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Powdery and spicy roses
Sweet, spicy and powdery rose over a light sandal base.

A wonderful blend of ingrediends that turns it into one of the best releases of Cartier Declaration line.

Very balanced, it can be used in all seasons.

For me, it's unisex.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium-high.
Definetely a must buy!

Updated January 2014
5.0 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Drseid
What You Get When You Add Rose And Pepper To A Hybrid of Declaration and Declaration Cologne...
Declaration d'Un Soir goes on with a blast of black pepper that while quite prominent is actually rather light in its presentation. The pepper quickly meshes with an underlying soft rose note that remains throughout the heart. The scent definitely has some of the original Declaration DNA, as along with the rose and pepper is a waxy iris and cardamom spice tandem found in the original. As the scent dries down, the pepper and other spices disappear and the remnants of the rose and iris mesh with just slightly sweet sandalwood from the base. Projection is above average and longevity is average to slightly above average at 8-10 hours on skin.

I went into trying Declaration d'Un Soir with relatively low expectations as I disliked the original. I am happy to say that this release deals with the issues I had with original Declaration rather well, without losing the trademark fingerprints of original Declaration. The overpowering cumin and cardamom of the original that came off as heavy BO on skin are quite subdued here (though far from repressed), and the waxy iris is much better balanced by the soft "masculine" rose and pepper. Come to think of it, rose and pepper additional notes aside this minimalist composition comes off as kind of a hybrid of the original Declaration and Declaration Cologne. Declaration d'Un Soir's innovation is not going to set the world afire, but it smells quite good and it didn't sell out like some recent releases that use the name of a classic scent to gain notoriety and initial sales without smelling anything like them, earning a "good" to "very good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5. Recommended to fans of the original and Declaration Cologne alike.
10.0 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

Cartier does it again!!
I remember vividly trying the original Déclaration for the first time. I was buying fabrics and notions in the Garment District in downtown Los Angeles where can also be found numerous little 'hole in the wall' fragrance shops, their shelves bursting with bottles a lot less expensive than could be had at the department stores.

I tested Declaration at one such vendor and went about my shopping. After some time had gone by I kept getting whiffs of the most stunning fragrance (you know, the one that haunts you above all others) and simply had to have a bottle ... in fact it remained a favorite fragrance until it's recent reformulation, which left it bereft of anything but 'sweaty' cumin top notes.
I was absolutely thrilled to receive a sample of d'un Soir in a gift package (thanks L) and upon trying it have had the same reaction that I had to the original so many years ago ... it's simply FABULOUS! The spices up top are very subtle and beautifully blended, lending the star ingredient of this fragrance, Rose, a superb platform and leverage. In fact, one almost feels as if this fragrance could be a Rose soliflore, were it not for the delicious 'woodsiness' it contains. Being the Rose fanatic that I am, this one is definitely full bottle worthy for me.
The lush, plump, velvety flowers here bloom darkly, almost endlessly on my skin which surprised me as this is an Eau de Toilette. It feels very much as if one is sitting in a bower surrounded by climbing Roses, giving up their swansong of fragrance in the sultry twilight air ... definitely a fragrance that inspires the romantic. I am reminded of Anne Rice's erotically beautiful vampires by Déclaration d'un Soir.

Contrary to others I get a decent 5 to 7 hours of life from this fragrance with a comfortable sillage. This is easily one of my favorite releases of late 2012.
5.0 2.5 5.0 8.0/10

Twilight rose
Dèclaration d´un soir is marketed as a spicy woody fragance, leaving out its more important floral character. On one hand, this is kind of sad, to see how the very perfume houses perpetuate on paper the gender game instead of pushing the envelope. On the other hand, i praise Cartier for going mainstream with a male floral.

I find this fragance Beautiful with a capital B. I always loved the raunchy sexiness of the classic Dèclaration, and while they have things in common, i mean, they both belong to the same box (wood, spices) they have different spirits. IMHO when the classic is sweaty and sexy, the Soir version is fresh and romantic.

Dèclaration d´un soir´s opening is dominated by black pepper and to a lesser extent by the other spices and cedar-like woody notes...this spicy fluid has never touched the sunlight: it smells dusty, invigorating and a bit musty, like cold stone or fresh virgin air captive in the darkness of a cave or a castle´s cellar. This duskiness in the opening, reminds me in spirit to the gothic-dark Encre Noire, although they probably smell nothing like each other.

But after a while, the rose, the main protagonist in this soiree, starts to peek from behind the sober, cool spices. Light, fresh, cristalline rose, more like blush-tinged rosewater in the beginning but unapologetically floral, which work really well in this blend of ingredients. A luminous, iridiscent ,clean rose, with the sweetish warm accents of nutmeg and woods that i only identify as sandalwood after all the spices are almost vanished. The interaction of the spices and the rose is dazzling and masculine.

But it is not all so great news: I love the scent, although I have worn fuller roses than this. I don´t know if i get anosmic to Déclaration d´un soir after 3 hours, which is very frustrating, or it turns into an extremely close to the skin fragance, but I had to keep reapplying. Even so, this is my favourite mainstream release this year.
7.5 5.0 10.0 3.0/10

Let's get naked...

The perfumer demonstrates a high level of ability: a wonderful rosy note is so skillfully staged that the question if men should wear rose or not does not even come up. Of course they should, and to ensure that, a spicy note, dominated by nutmeg, but also some ethereal notes are set against the rose. From the base, a tart sandalwood-like note shines through which contributes its part to the masculinisation of this perfume. The balance is perfect – this cannot be done any better!

Not knowing the scent pyramid these surroundings alienated the rose so much that at first she wasn't detectable as such – which made me even more curious. Only during the further progression of the fragrance the rose materializes herself more distinctly, and most of all, I believed to smell a peach or apricot-like hint. Insofar, this rose has a resemblance to the grand Rose Barbare by the house of Guerlain.

The rose of Déclaration d'un Soir is so beautiful that she must have come down to us from the Garden of Eden, and so it dawned on me that she hardly could have grown on a common rose bush somewhere on earth. And that's the point: this rose does not droop! All her companions – the spices, the ethereal notes and the woods – resign one by one at some point of the development. In the end, this rose stands completely alone before us, naked and fat.

As if this wasn't worse enough, she digs her thorns deep into textiles. At least, when after two days the sleeves and collar of your jacket are still smelly with this stuff, there will only be disgust. I tried it twice – not believing my senses – but now I've had enough. For this last test, Déclaration d' un Soir will only be allowed a paper strip, and I will throw it away tomorrow.

Déclaration d'un Soir is another example of near-sighted and downright devastating product policy. This perfume will sell well during Christmas trade. The ladies will love it, but many of their husbands will feel sick by this gift a few days after. They will secretly dispose of their clothes and decline with thanks any visit to a perfume shop in the near future.

The immense beauty of this perfume and high skill level that it was composed with are extremely contradictory to the fact that the perfumer made use of an ingredient that obviously is not suitable for perfumes, at least not in this concentration. As is generally known, art is free, but how free was the perfumer?

For me, such a characteristic is a no-go. Déclaration d'un Soir is too beautiful and too sophisticated not to be tested. But don't forget to take your clothes off!

HugoMontez 8 months ago
I like this rose and sandalwood combination. Very classy. Is fresh and spicy at the top. Have some similarities do Portrait of a Lady, imo.+2
9.0
Carlitos01 18 months ago
A pepperish dark rose for you to enjoy 8 hours or more with 3 sprays. This is a rrr (real red rose) fragrance for men. And, yes it has rose.+7
Hermesh 4 years ago
A rose which receives its originality through cypress-like / metallic nuances. However, it keeps its sensuality.+1

Das Bild zum Kommi ... aber SIE war noch schöner ;-)
by Fresh21
by MightyMike
by Scentist
by Scentist

Popular Cartier

Déclaration (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Baiser Volé (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier La Panthère (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier Must de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Santos (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier L'Envol (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Cartier de Lune by Cartier Roadster (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Pasha de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Délices de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Panthère de Cartier (Parfum) by Cartier Les Heures de Parfum - VII: L'Heure Défendue by Cartier Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier Roadster Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Baiser Volé (Essence de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier So Pretty (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier