Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois (2012)

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier

Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois is a perfume by Cartier for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is woody-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Yuzu
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Oud, Violet leaf, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Musk, Patchouli

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.04.2019.

10.0 5.0 2.5 4.0/10

Light
Opens with violet leaf slaping your face, then joins the woody notes (oud? really?) that turns it into a fresh woody scent.

Lasting power is weak, around 3~4 hours. The solution?

About 10 sprays and you're set with great projection, big sillage and nice lasting power.

That's nothing actually unique scent but deserves at least one try.

Updated January 2014
7.0/10

Diet Oud
Out on one of my regular Sunday afternoon fragrance trawls (what else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon pray tell? … teehee) I had every intention of sampling Cartier's Déclaration d'un Soir … which has unhappily not made it to shops in my neck of the woods yet! Instead, Essence de Bois was on offer and as I hadn't tried it before either, I whacked a few hefty sprays to my left forearm.

"NICE!!!" … was my immediate exclamation, and it really only got better from there. Erring on the side of caution, I swept myself off to a late lunch of patè and champagne (Sunday afternoons are 'me' time and utterly sacrosanct LOL) all the while snuffling at the crook of my elbow and emitting little grunts of pleasure!
Essence de Bois contains a beautifully pared down Oud, evident from the first sniff. It's almost as if this note was put on a carb-free-high-protein diet and 60 000 steps a day, rendering it sleek, sophisticated and waif-like … not overpowering in the least!! Now … Musk and Violet are probably the two notes I detest the most in perfumery … so thankfully they don't make their presence felt here in any major way. What I do get is the lovely greenness of violet leaf ( similar to Grey Flannel but with the volume turned WAY down) bolstered by the hesperidic freshness of Yuzu. I also get quite a bit of Lavender … just delicious!!
The star of the show here is undoubtedly the soft Oud … backed up by a little Patchouli. If there is any Ambergris in this fragrance it doesn't register to my nose.

Essence de Bois is not going to win any sillage or longevity awards … it's an Eau de Toilette after all. As such, however, it is one of the best in this genre I have tried. I bought a 200ml bottle at a severely discounted price, making the day a winner all around!
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Cartier gets into the "oud" game...
So Cartier has now gotten into the oud game with its latest EAU DE CARTIER flanker, ESSENCE DE BOIS. Having sniffed their approach for the other flankers, involving lots of violet leaf buttressed by...more violet leaf (in the CONCENTREE) or orange (in the ESSENCE D'ORANGE), I was expecting a dusting of wood on top of a vast field of violet leaf.

To my surprise, ESSENCE DE BOIS features more oud than violet leaf, and there are several other contributing notes which together conspire to make this much more than just another EAU DE CARTIER flanker. They really toned down the violet leaf, actually, making the bois elements more dominant, so that I'd call this an independent fragrance from its namesake.

The other reason for regarding ESSENCE DE BOIS as a fragrance in its own right is that it strikes me as heavier than its predecessors: more of a perfume than a cologne. So I agree with those who find this iteration less refreshing, but I myself do not have a problem with the musk in this composition. To me, ESSENCE DE BOIS smells like a pretty decent woody oriental perfume, completely and utterly unisex. Yes, I do believe that the oud is the tame, Westernized version, intended for neophytes, which I am, so to me it smells good! (-;
7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

Another oud?
No one can ignore oud nowadays, but only slowly this trend translates into the mass market. The Eau de Cartier variant Essence de Bois is one of the very few 60 € fragrances (~75 USD) with that note.

Nevertheless, Cartier refuses to follow the already beaten track. They withstood the general trend to release just another bottle of overblown mustiness to the market. Quite remarkably they chose the Eau series for their oud release – those perfumes all have a special air of easiness and lightness, and some are weak up to the limits of perceptabiliy!

Essence de Bois hardly departs from this route. Here, we have an Eau de Cartier enhanced by a very tender and sublime oud note. It is still a light perfume, and the oud rather supports the woodyness, not the mustiness. The rest is business as usual: you can sense the nearness to the original Eau de Cartier, and so it is mass market fragrance ingredients, but well done.

The oud note presumably comes from the factories of one of the big fragrance companies, and not from the forests of Borneo. So what! Also with other fragrant ingredients, we do not expect them to originate directly from the plants or ressources they are named after.

Revealingly also inexpensive perfumes from Arabian brands show us a sparingly use of oud: i.e., in Al Haramain's Excellent Men oud is just the faint background of an otherwise very western-style fragrance.

I like Essence de Bois – it is a nice alternative for oud critics and beginners. Is was a convenient wear. Oud is treated like any other note, and so, Essence de Bois might still be there after the hype is gone.

Carlitos01 19 months ago
The projection is so week. It is almost impossible to like it. Becomes a skinscent after 43 seconds.
This is an EEC (Eau de Eau de Cologne)+5
4.0
Hermesh 4 years ago
First citrical freshness, roughened by violets; then mild woody oud steps in and takes gradually over. Well done, but soon close to the skin.

by Andreas09
by Andreas09
Beigeholz
Blauholz
by Miaw2
by Miaw2
Schulstunde: Ein Ster Holz kostet 134€.  Was kosten 3.7 Ster Holz bei Halbmond, wenn das Wetter am Donnerstag feucht ist...?
by NikkRouse10
by NikkRouse10

Popular Cartier

Déclaration (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Baiser Volé (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier La Panthère (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier Must de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Santos (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier L'Envol (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Cartier de Lune by Cartier Roadster (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Pasha de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Délices de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Panthère de Cartier (Parfum) by Cartier Les Heures de Parfum - VII: L'Heure Défendue by Cartier Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier Roadster Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Baiser Volé (Essence de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier Must de Cartier (Parfum) by Cartier