Panthère de Cartier (1987) Parfum

Panthère de Cartier (Parfum) by Cartier

Panthère de Cartier (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Cartier for women and was released in 1987. The scent is floral-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Ginger, Labdanum, Mandarin, Orange blossom, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Gardenia, Carnation, Heliotrope, Iris, Jasmine, Karo-Karounde, Nutmeg, Narcissus, Tuberose, Vetiver, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, Cedar, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.01.2019

9.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Diotwell17
I am deeply disappointed in the discontinuing of Panthere de Cartier
This fragrance, along with Joy by Patou, is in a class by itself. It pains me to see how customers' noses have become so familiar with cheap synthetic and cheaper varieties of most of today's creations. It appears to me that it is difficult for the consumer to appreciate the real scents of rose, jasmine, and patchouli, etc. because they are so used to smelling the fakes. I believe this causes great fragrances like Panthere de Cartier to be discontinued due to the bottom line. This fragrance contains some of the most expensive essential oils on the market, but I would rather the House of Cartier continue to make some bottles with a double-in-price price tag than to discontinue the product altogether.

I am a huge fan of Cartier fragrances with Must de Cartier and Panthere de Cartier being my favorites. I also loved So Pretty.

I have not smelled the current scent of La Panthere. I really just do not see how it can measure up.
10.0 7.5 10.0/10

Growl, darling
Technically, it qualifies as both a Chypre (citrus, labdanum, oak moss, musks) and an Oriental. This is no doubt why, when I discovered Panthère during a sniff-fest of incense perfumes, my character, Yasmin, and I practically passed out. Think wearing Mitsuoko and Shalimar together and it works. Exotic, opulent, unbridled beauty, this! Ultimately I eliminated it from the incense fest since the Frankincense here is far from dominant. This is a lush and fabulous fragrance, the kind that makes me wish I'd become a perfumista a lot sooner. Cartier designed it for the women who wear their sinfully extravagant panther emblem, often of diamond, emerald, gold and onyx. One such ring's on sale right now on ebay at the bargain price of $47,500. The panther emblem was introduced in 1914. In the decadent 1980’s, Cartier designed a perfume to match the ring. IMO, they succeeded in this proudly rich oriental. Per Michael Edwards’ Fragrance Wheel, it has everything an oriental should: opulent flowers (ten, including one I hadn’t encountered before, Karo-Karounde, said to be exotic and peppery animalic), vanilla (check, and Tonka bean), green or fruity top notes (grapefruit, mandarin), blends of oriental resins (amber, frankincense, labdanum) and musks (musk, civet). Conceivably, it could move into the woody oriental category because of patchouli and sandalwood (also cedar), but they don’t overpower the florals, so oriental this properly stays. It also has spice (ginger, pepper, nutmeg). It’s as if Cartier browsed the genres, picked what’s great in each one, and mixed it into Panthère in proportions that make the whole exceed its components. If I try to wear jeans with this scent, it doesn’t work because instead of relaxing I’m distracted by an urge to put on high heels, find a long, slinky dress, put my hair up, put lipstick on my lips, get jewelry on my fingers and gold dangling from my ears, then go somewhere and vamp.
9.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

As time goes by
Time to dress up and sail off to the opera. No other perfume will do on a Grand Night Out.
Whoever decided to discontinue this Queen of all perfumes, must have had a lousy reason for doing so (a very undignified work in relation to Prominent Perfumes..)
All we can do is treasure our last bottles and keep searching the net for more.
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Old Money
I was very lucky to trade recently for a 4ml vintage extrait miniature of Cartier's Panthère. The truth of the matter is, they are just not made this way anymore ... a sad state of affairs.

In the grand manner of the 80's floriental, Panthère ranks as the most exclusive of the lot ... which is simply my humble opinion. Shuffling off my teens in 1987, fragrance was regarded as a status symbol, the start of the 'label' craze (at least here in South Africa) and I was very lucky to own a tester of this incredible fragrance, gifted to me by a fellow 'fragrance consultant' (as we were called back then) working for an opposition company to the one I was working for.
Panthère is glamour in a bottle ... plain and simple. It is the smell of mega wealthy women, born into that state and quite accustomed to all of the trappings that go along with it. It's the smell of furs before red paint was thrown at them, suites of diamonds with exotic names and sleek black limousines ... ferrying their occupants to casinos on Rivieras.
A look at the note pyramid is completely mystifying ... there is just SO much!! Suffice it to say that this has to be the defining white floral/oriental of its time, with loads of Tuberose, Jasmine and Ylang present. Karo Karounde is an exotic African essence of great refinement with peppery animalic qualities, which apparently pairs very well with Tuberose. In my 'shhh'-something years of living on this continent I have never come across it, so it appears I have some botanical research to do.
The spiciness up top is rich and prevalent, while the heavy resinoid, woody base is just slightly dirtied up with hints of Civet. I have very little doubt that the Oakmoss I am getting here is true and original, this being a vintage miniature. The smallest drop is radiating off my arm and pretty much filling the space I'm sitting in ... transporting me to fragrance heaven for the moment :).
I have to have a little giggle here too as the delightful and erudite Sherapop will probably have a dig at my lyrical waxings ... this perfume was designed by Alberto "chemical Albie" Morillas ... but I think in this case he got it right.

I have no idea whether this fragrance has withstood the ravages of reformulation, which appear to have affected even grand establishments like Cartier. I am immensely pleased to once again own this extrait in its original incarnation. It's simply splendid!!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A big, complex blend of perfection
Whenever I smell Panthere de Cartier, I think chandeliers, red velvet sofas, expensive champagne and exquisite evening gowns. This fragrance seems to be the perfect example of class and distinction.

While the opening of Panthere is rather alchoholic, what dries on the skin is absolutely beautiful. This fragrance is the perfect blend of rich florals, exotic spices and bright, cheerful citrus, which gives this fragrance a golden-like feel.

It's a very confident fragrance. Bold, rich and reminiscent of those typical powerhouse 80's fragrances. Panthere is a little similar to Boucheron, Annick Goutal's Passion and Dior's Poison. On the skin, Panthere is incredibly elegant and feminine, however it's not a fragrance for young girls.

I love these kinds of strong scents, however whenever I wear them colleagues of mine, who are less understanding of perfume, will comment that I smell old, half wondering why I don't wish to smell of Paris Hilton and the likes. Well, if Panthere is what old smells like, then I'm eagerly awaiting my 50th birthday.

Despite this fragrance's complexity, Panthere has quite dominant hints of lemon, pepper, ginger, carnation, gardenia, ylang ylang, patchouli, vanilla and incense. In terms of the hard-to-come-by EDP, the lasting power is incredible and its projection equally as impressive.

I do not hestitate to refer to Panthere as a classic, one that has stood the test of time alonsgide Chanel, Dior and Guerlain. Cartier is a house that I greatly respect and one that has released many exquisite and lovable fragrances.
7.5 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

Bassavina
"Cold Perfume" a daughter's scent memory
I have a special place in my heart for Panthère. My daughter was a teenager when she bought the EDT for my birthday. She said she searched far and wide for something to recreate her impression as a little girl of my coming home at 11 pm from my job as a ballet/opera orchestra musician. I would tiptoe into her room to give her a kiss. She described me as smelling "like cold perfume."

Sure enough that would have been the 80s or 90s, when tuberose reigned. No, I didn't have Panthère then, just Mollie Parnis, another big 80s tuberose fragrance, and occasionally Shalimar, but not matter. She was recreating a memory of scent, not the scent itself.

Know that the EDT is much more effervescent than the EDP or parfum, which are both heavier, spicier, and less appealing to my nose. The EDT's initial citrus is refreshing, the floral heart of tuberose/gardenia sustains until incense and tonka emerge hours later. Dressy and sweet. I'm retired now, and wear it still. I get compliments with the EDT. Gave the other two away.
10.0 7.5 5.0 8.0/10

The Sweet smell of Money
The Smell of Money I whould Describe Panthere, It's
rich full bodied and Animalistic, Panthere, as with Opium, Coco,
Obsession,Cinnabar & Knowing, has a Rightfull place in the Powerhouse Sisterhood of Big Orientals, Unlike Opium Or Obsession, Panthere
Uses her Subtil nuances and Sharp Wit to claw her way to the Social
Ladder Then Aggressive uses of Spices and Incense, Sweet on the
Outside the B*&$ On the Inside

The Notes of Panthere is Complex as the Perfume it's self
On the Veneer Is the note of Warm Amber Juxposes with Golden
Floral Motif of Narcissus and Orange Hues of Karo,

We Enter The Unhibated side of Panthere with Civet Brings a Primal
Touch the florals seems to be overshadowed by the domineering
notes of Amber & Civet so it's very hard to notice,

What is permitted me to Love this Two faced Beauty?
The Answer The Pervasive Sweetness Of Amber which to my Skin
applys like a coat of Syrup Cloyish Promising but it falls
short.

Discussions about Panthère de Cartier (Parfum)

by Bassavina
by EvaK
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Cartier

Déclaration (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Baiser Volé (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier La Panthère (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Déclaration d'un Soir by Cartier Must de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Santos (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier L'Envol (Eau de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Cartier de Lune by Cartier Roadster (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Pasha de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Délices de Cartier (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Les Heures de Parfum - VII: L'Heure Défendue by Cartier Panthère de Cartier (Parfum) by Cartier Roadster Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier Baiser Volé (Essence de Parfum) by Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois by Cartier Baiser Volé (Eau de Toilette) by Cartier