1881 Black (2006)

1881 Black by Nino Cerruti
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

1881 Black is a perfume by Nino Cerruti for men and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Michel Girard

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Lavender, Pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Nutmeg, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesGaiac wood, Marzipan, Oud

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.06.2019

Farneon
Black? More like 50 Shades of Grey without leather! ;-)
A positive surprise thanks to the comments read here and a blind purchase containing 100 ml for just 20 Eurons. After having let myself be blinded a little bit by superbe evaluations and perhaps also by my "professional youth image", I have to say that Dior Homme Intense and CH Men Privé will probably be vegged out in some drawer, as long as nobody buys them from me or exchanges them for something more suitable for everyday use! :-(

This is a fragrance that is a little softer and more normal: fresh, woody and oriantal at the same time. Sure: The longer it is on my skin, the more the citric note says goodbye, everything gets a little sweeter and spicier, but without killing me like other "Black" scents, which often remind me a little of car tire abrasion, a freshly tarred road or annealed barbecue coal - just right for the color! ;-)

It's clear to me that nobody mixes tar or rubber into a perfume, but once the association is there, it doesn't go away that quickly. Maybe 1881 Black is exactly the fragrance I was missing in the "heavier" spectrum. I don't need 5 or 6 variants, no question, but also I can be olfactory sometimes a bit capricious! ;-) A little like boss soul, this EDT smells when I remember right back. After all, I do that at all, and that's something!

So: Better 50 shades of grey than raven black or pearl white, it might be said in this case. But for me, this little bitch remains a little bit like Davidoff's Zino, but not quite as penetrating. The mixing of some fragrances may always remain a small venture, which you as a carrier either have to take or let remain ... But what's without risk?!
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

There ain't no Black in 1881 Black
To begin with, Black is just one of many 1881 flankers, though it has nothing to do with the original 1881, which is a soapy, green, and fresh scent. I picked-up several Cerruti fragrances back in the Spring including 1881 Black. I only tried it once and didn't recall any details since one of the other 1881 fragrances caught my attention, Fairplay to be precise. Fast forward three seasons and I said to myself, "Wow, I really like this one" when it was applied to my skin: 1881 Black walked that fine line of having a clean, fresh, sweet side but also striking a nice balance with having a woodsy-spicy side. Excellent!

That being said, 1881 Black opens gracefully like a warm spicy smell with a hint of sweetness to the blend. You do get pepper and orange in there with some nice fresh spice, perhaps the caraway. It is a little bit balsamic, medicinal, but that facet fades away quickly. As it settles in even more of the warm spicy notes show up along with the relaxing ability the lavender note brings to the party.

In the heart, I do get cedar quite strongly, rather the marzipan accord appears almost instantly and the woody oud gives the almond note a creaminess that gives the impression of vanilla. The oud here is mild and smooth, not the opulent and dark one typical of the Arabian scents. A great specific blend of sweet almonds and woods, nutty I would dare. One can almost taste marzipan when wearing this. Not necessarily spicy or intensely masculine, but 1881 Black delivers a complex symphony of rich, deep notes that I find different people interpret and pick out notes of widely contrasting attributes.
If you are into male gourmands, like me, this could be a nice and interesting addition to your collection. I'm really enjoying the drydown: woods, fresh-spices, and a touch of marzipan sweetness. Not so stingy!

Overall, I like this one: a versatile scent that is good for the office and in most casual settings. The opening is excellent, the heart a bit challenging, and the drydown very nice. A very good fragrance for the price.
1881 Black performs well for inexpensive EDT, it lasts several hours on my skin and projects moderately.
Definitely, a great combination of gourmand notes that are not spices. Really unique. Very great addition to any man's fragrance wardrobe that provides contrast and a counterpoint to the typical warm woodsy/leather/tobacco field of masculine colognes. Suggested seasons are cool late fall and cold winter.

Nothing more than decent
Nothing really “black” here except for the box, and overall a barely decent fragrance which was quite disappointing for me. I didn’t have high expectations, but still I thought it was better than it actually is in my opinion. Basically 1881 Black is a sort of spicy, soapy, musky and slightly ozonic take on the original 1881 – which is still the only one I like among this line of flankers. There shall be oud in here but I don’t get any; all I smell is a really heavily synthetic spicy-musky blend smelling as much crisp and soapy as really cheap and completely unoriginal, and a tad boring after a while (the “annoying scrubber” kind of boring). But at least it’s also really cheap cost-wise, so no complaints... And after all it’s not that bad; it smells barely decent, really unworthy any attention unless you are looking for a really generic and inexpensive office/gym scent. Projection and persistence are obviously bold & long lasting given how much plastic this smells.

5,5/10

Carlitos01 17 months ago
Bitter orange, Spices, Wood and Marzipan... I bought it just for the notes. If it was more expensive it would be worthy every cent as well.+6
Elysium 23 months ago
A great specific blend of spices, sweet almonds, and bitter woods, nutty I would dare. One can almost taste marzipan when wearing this. Nice+3
6.0

by Thecombad
by Michael
by Michael

Popular Nino Cerruti

1881 pour Femme by Nino Cerruti 1881 pour Homme (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Black by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Signature by Nino Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Acqua Forte by Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti CerrutiSí (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Femme by Nino Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Femme by Nino Cerruti Cerruti pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Homme by Nino Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Femme by Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti pour Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image Harmony by Nino Cerruti 1881 Collection by Nino Cerruti 1881 Amber (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Homme by Nino Cerruti Fair Play (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti