1881 Signature 2017

1881 Signature by Cerruti
1881 Signature is a popular perfume by Cerruti for men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-leathery. It was last marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesPepper, Nutmeg, Cypress, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Cardamom, Labdanum
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vetiver, Patchouli

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 17.11.2020.

The face of the advertising campaign is Spanish model Andrés Velencoso Segura.

N471v3
1881 must have been a good year...
...but there doesn't seem to be much rum in it... ;P

At least this is how I explain to myself what distinguishes this,- I dare say, John Varvato's "Dark Rebel" clone from his big brother.

By the way, I also own a bottle of the same, a really great scent
A previous speaker has already said this, but I would like to emphasise it: You can really rely on the fact that this perfume is very close to the fragrance mentioned
Where I disagree with previous speakers is, I think Signature is cute as a tick... probably from the amber But it is only very discreetly sweet, I think that Dark Rebel appears sweeter, because the rum potentiates the sweetness, and it is more effective
The vibe, and the smokiness of the leather, which I think is caused by the cardamom, (I thought it was similar in YSL Splendid Wood, only that it is mixed with incense) are very similar to DR. So in the blind test, I would have taken Signature fix for Dark Rebel...

I regret, especially at the small price, not having bought Signature. If you like this dark, pleasantly masculine, timeless signature, this Dark Rebel DNA, you are really not doing anything wrong here
If I had to choose one of them, it would still be the original, despite, or maybe because of the rum note Basically, I don't like "boozy", i.e. alcoholic notes, too much in perfumes, but they often seem overloaded or too... boozy! D

But in this case, it makes the DNA more interesting, smoother, simply better and rounder. I also find DR a little more complex
But that's my taste, if you liked Dark Rebel super, and want to have it without the Boozy Note, take it here!
The most important thing again in short:
Sweet, smoky leather, but very different from Tom Ford Tuscan leather and all his companions, the John Varvatos way! ^^
Rounded off with a little bit of fruit-sparkling and spice, which however gets rather lost in the overall composition.

Black is a beautiful color :)
Chizza
Spicy drugstore leather from the motorcycle club
So the other day I had this interview with Schorschi, the chairman of the rocker club Enno-Riders. I knew about his passion for perfume and he agreed to introduce us to the wild rocker perfume life. As I read on Parfumo, Dark Rebel by John Varvatos would certainly be his fragrance, a supposedly real pub-rocker-have-nots-been-seen fragrance.
So we arrived at the clubhouse at the agreed time, and as a symbol on the flag a butcher's hatchet dressed in a leather robe blew on the roof of the shed. Impressive, I thought. In front of the shed we saw a man with long hair, which was noticeably less, who was just getting off his scooter. Stunned I asked: "Georg, is that you?"
The man turns around: "Um... well, yes, I am. My Harley's in the shop, not that you think I ride anything else!" I looked down at him. "I see...my leather pants are in the wash and the sille hasn't washed them yet. I'm just saying: stubborn stains. Well, anyway, all I had left was the green and purple balloon silk suit."
"...let's just go in and talk, Georg."

There I confronted him directly with the dark rebel: "all Killefitz! Johnny Varvatos is just a cocky rocker! Just the rum and the high end leather are nothing, only hipsters and bankers imagine rockers like that! I'll tell you what I consider to be a rocker's perfume, except in a drugstore! The 1881 signature of this Italo."
"Now I am surprised, Georg. So cheap and what can he do?"
"Yes, of course cheap, everything goes for the Harley and beer! Do you think we have money for Tommy Ford and his 300 Euro cops? Yes the Cerutti is what the Varvatos would like to be! Both are similar but one of them is doing cash, the other one you can really wear there!"
"What's the 1881 signature to you?"
"Not a sweet tooth, we're not... foodies, I say. So what I smell is spicy cypress accompanied by this leather. But this is not a leather full of smoke but more a nice new leather without being rough."
"Don't you like smoky leather? Surprise me now."
"Hmm, enough smoking doesn't mean perfume has to do it too, does it? Anyway, it's very intense at first, and then it's underscored by cardamom, which gives it a powerful and intensely aromatic note. The intensity decreases with time, until then you have to like this kind of leather chord."
"Sounds very fine to me, will it stick?"
"Sure. You can't make fluffy base notes with Vetiver, Patch, boy! It remains earthy, spicy and rather dark. "I say to you, John is the boy who wears his leather jacket in the city. Cerrutti is more likely to be in the bars at night. Like me. If the jacket was not in the laundry too. Ham wirs?"
"Sure, Georg, was very enlightening. Do your boys wear the 1881 Signature?"
"Sure! They have to! Everybody's been busy buying these things. Except Paul, he's out of his depth. I say: Freesia, violets, mimosa and jasmine... they have to be wearable

Carlitos01
A discrete dark spicy leathery fragrance to enjoy with Tchaikovsky
1881 Signature is an Oriental leathery fragrance, quite spicy and not sweet at all.
It opens very spicy and a bit tarry. This spicy opening may mislead you with a brief resemblance to Man In Black.
In the heart you get a fantastic leather tamed by the omnipresent spices, mainly cardamom in this phase - the type of cardamom present in La Nuit de L'Homme.
In the base, the strong leathery facet is consolidated with amber for a pleasuring drydown.
Performance is average with 6~7 hours longevity with 2 sprays in the back of my hand. Sillage is good enough for 5~6 feet with a projection of 1,5 hours.
Leather is not an easy note. Raw skin doesn't smell so good due to the tanning process. The scent may be just to animalic. Fashion leather presents a re-odorized scent, perfumed with essential oils, and that practice is actually what today describes our notion of a pleasant leather smell. That effect is usually rendered by birch tar (present in the famous Cuir de Russie) or by synthetic isoquinolines that emulate the agreeable part of the natural tanning smell. Essential oils of civet, musk and amber may also be used.
1881 Signature gives us an extraordinary smooth, non offensive, dark and tanned leather. This is the type of leather I prefer, and that we may find in leather scents like Tuscan Leather, Leather Oudh, Wild Leather, and many others. It differs from the market leaders by not having a strong raspberry sweet note, and I thank Cerruti for it. To my nose, the well behaved part of this scent evokes the Maison Martin Margiela Jazz Club fragrance.
You must wear it among people who like strong scents. Most people will love your sillage but may become uncomfortable with close proximity due to the smoky, tarry, asphaltic kind of scent, even if it is a smooth one. I just love it. You should use it in classy parties, weddings, classy clubs or alone for your own pleasure. It's a marvelous perfume in the proper occasions. If you layer it with pineapple you will get a vibe of the Aventus smoky batch.
I love dark fragrances and this one is very good indeed, and the best 1881 for me. I do not consider it a flanker of the original 1881. It has its own identity, quite far from the fougére of its 27 years older brother.

My rates for 1881 Black Leather Signature:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Scent Opening:..........8,75 (very spicy)
Scent Drydown:.........9.25 (tarry and balsamic leather)
Longevity:...................7.0 (average with 6~7 hours longevity with 2 sprays in the back of my hand.)
Sillage:........................7.0 (average with 5~6 feet and a projection of 1,5 hours)
Uniqueness:...............8.0 (evokes fragrances like Man in Black, Cuir de Russie, Wild Leather. For me, the strongest similarity occurs with Jazz Club)
Wearability:................8.0 (Fall and winter - day and night; Spring at night)
Versatility:..................8.5 (just get other people to appreciate this wonder fragrance)
Compliments:............8.5 (very good, but not the best)
Quality:.......................9.0 (quality ingredients; good packaging and bottle sprayer)
Presentation:.............8.0 (similar to all perfumes in the 1881 line)
Price:...........................9.5 (22 Euros per 100ml non tester, in Parfum-Zentrum)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.32/10.0
between 7 and 8 =above average;
between 8 and 9 = recommended;
bigger than 9 = don't miss it;

Advice: You should not miss this one, if you like a masculine civilized leathery dark fragrance. The performance is average but the price is very attractive.

Music: Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake (Swan Theme)
Leather Leather and leather again
Super leather scent. Strong resemblance to Bulgari Men in Black. H/S well and at such a reasonable price, you can really be satisfied with what you get. Clear recommendation to buy :)
DavidCameron
Fragrance of noble at the savings fox price
Because of the positive comments, I "indulged" in it. Thick quotation marks, because you can hardly get a detergent for the price.

1881 starts very tarry for the first time, reminiscent of tires that were tortured a bit too much in the curves. But this quickly disappears and what remains is a surprisingly fine, almost dainty scent - which, however, is still smoky, powdery and above all masculine.

Smell it directly on the skin and after some time you will notice it - but I would say that the durability is not so high. But if you let them near you, they will smell an extremely fine, balanced scent that seems to merge with the skin and does not change its characteristics.

Sparfuchs-Points 10/10

Elysium
It is the smell of Hell's brimstone if Hell had a smell
No, no, no... I'm kidding you. 1881 Signature is so damn good!
To be frank, as an EDP concentration I expected higher longevity and huge projection, which did not happen and that disappointed me a bit. Nevertheless, reapplying the scent more times lets me revisiting over and over again the intriguing and obscure leather accord, and that compensate that lack. It is all about soft and spicy leatheriness.

1881 Signature bottle evokes the original one, this time the numbers are engraved in the opaque black back while the rest is crystalline, thought the scent is not a flanker, yet a brand new spicy, coppery, and dark leather scent. It opens up with bitter juicy grapefruit, topped with freshly grated nutmeg and a tad of spicy black peppercorn. The cypress is not over-topping but gives a balsamic and calming effect to the scent.

Well, the initial whiff is a bit boozy, but then it moves onto a blend of oriental notes of green cardamom, pitchy labdanum, and extraordinary obscure and tanned leather. The leather in here is full of darkness, loud, rough, it is the idyllic smell of Hell's brimstone if Hell had a smell, a kind of freshly made black asphalt with the liquid hot tar turning into the solid pitch. I am not saying it smells bad at all, rather the enigmatic leather is intoxicating and sublime! Weird enough, birmstone is a component that doesn't easily conform to one's idea of something pleasant, less alone fragrant. Yet believe me, at this stage the scent is really enjoyable and a real compliment getter, a kind of leather I have never smelt before.

The leather accord stays longer in the background before the scent begins spreading oriental notes of fumy vetiver, woody pepper tree, mild patchouli, and smooth amber.

The fusion of the aforementioned notes creates a warm aroma that gives it best during cold weather, late autumn and winter are perfect times for wearing it. Most people will prefer it for clubbing, dates, and nights out, however, I am wearing it since this morning and nothing was wrong with it. Elegant, bold, and modern, 1881 Signature is ideal for dudes in their late 20 and over.

Have fun,

Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
You should not miss this one, if you like a masculine civilized leathery dark fragrance. It's a marvelous perfume in the proper occasions.
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
The leather in here is dark, loud, rough, it is the smell of Hell if Hell had a smell, a kind of freshly made black asphalt, very hot pitch!

by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis
by TheOne01
by TheOne01
by AdamStraight
by AdamStraight

Popular Cerruti

Nino Cerruti pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti 1881 pour Femme by Cerruti 1881 pour Homme (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti CerrutiSí (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti 1881 Black by Cerruti Nino Cerruti pour Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti 1881 Acqua Forte by Cerruti Cerruti Image Harmony by Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Homme by Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti 1881 Amber (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Femme by Cerruti Fair Play (Eau de Toilette) by Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Femme by Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Femme by Cerruti 1881 Fraîcheur d'Eau by Cerruti 1881 Eau d'Été 2004 pour Homme by Cerruti 1881 Eau d'Été 2003 pour Femme by Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Homme by Cerruti