1881 pour Homme (2005) Eau de Toilette

Version from 2005
1881 pour Homme (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti
Bottle Design: Serge Mansau

1881 pour Homme (2005) (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Nino Cerruti for men and was released in 2005. The scent is fresh-woody. It is being marketed by Coty.

Martin Gras

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Blackcurrant, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesPatchouli, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Pine, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.04.2019

8.0 6.0 8.0 8.0/10

For Shady Individuals Only
1881 Pour Homme combines sun-kissed spicy, herbal notes of wide-open spaces with lingering undertones of shady, velvety woods. It gives an overall impression of air, water, and nature. Entirely unique, it is discreet, refreshing, seductive... and modern, either. Happily, it underwent a balanced reformulation and right now I can wear it without feeling bad... I still remember when I got it as my B-day present on Jun 1990, a friend of mine guessed that this brand new launch would have matched my taste, and it did. Right of the bottle, the scent was so dainty, vivid, floral, and musky, a disruptive novelty for those years full of strong and opulent beasts, but that was the '80s and '90s. No matter how much I liked it, the very first time I decided to wear it was an absolute tragedy... the fabulous aroma I smelt when I opened my gift turned into a sickening odor that revolted my stomach upside down, inside out, and got me a migraine. Something "lewdness" or "indecency" was present in the top notes, not sure what note was causing it, yet I had to give it away. A beautiful Angel that transposed into a dreadful Daemon when melting with my skin! So sad and so disappointed... What a pity to see all that sought-after 100ml bottle go to waste.
Conceivably, the scent underwent to IFRA reformulation, and every now and then I'd try a sample again in a store, and I started thinking "You know, this really isn't bad at all"... And it really started to grow on me. Last time I ordered on-line few colognes a few weeks ago, it' was almost at a knockdown price, and I blindly bought it again... So I got my reformulated bottle. When I tested it again, I was pleasantly surprised. No more sickness, no more migraines.

To start with, 1881 Men by Cerruti is a fresh scent, with its aromatic woody notes, which make it fluctuate between aromatic fougère and citrus woody. It opens with delightful notes of floral accords which soon give way to a wonderful drydown which boasts notes of citrus, spices, and wood. Aromatic lavender, velvet bergamot, and spicy juniper are the blast blend, with bones of cypress resin. Bergamot notes dominate the head, which is closely followed by the sweet floral essence of juniper. Lavender notes add an element of aromatics whilst the presence of cypress ensure a green, fresh backdrop. Some may find the head particularly cloying. Its sickly sweet assortment of juniper and bergamot can be overwhelming for some, which lacks any dry substance for contrast.

The heart is an assorted bouquet of lily of the valley, carnation and ylang-ylang make a remarkably floral heart. In a similar approach to the head, vetiver is used to provide green freshness. Its presence also somewhat reassures us that this is indeed a masculine fragrance.

It’s base still features lingering floral and citrus notes. Nevertheless, its accord is predominantly woody with an array of various scents. The dry, spicy warmth of cedar interacts with the fresh vibrancy of pine. Meanwhile, oakmoss and patchouli add substance with fragrant notes reminiscent of wet soil.

Generally, if you are anything like me, you would be put off by the head but enjoyed the dry down. I like to listen, and give you a blank stare while you talk. You'll never know what I'm thinking. I don't take very much seriously. I'll say anything to get your trust. I probably won't abuse it but if I have to I won't hesitate. I'm perfectly fine with myself. I'm independent. I hate being called out. Some say I'm shy but I'm just shady... And I am fond of 1881 Cerruti Pour Homme.

The longevity and projection are amazing. The fragrance itself is a clean fragrance with lots of wood and herbs. Very attractive but definitely, even for the younger crowd. I never once thought it smelt old, I only thought it smelt good. I am also surprised that there aren't more reviews of 1881 considering it has been around since 1990, but perhaps many have missed out on this hidden gem, or also been put off by the opening This is a highly underrated fragrance that is definitely worth a try!

Wow, what a steal this scent is. I bought this online blind for nearly 20 euro, this is a fantastic fragrance. A bit strong at first, it's really a classy fragrance that could be worn day or evening through spring. Dressy or casual. So glad I readded this one to my collection. Perhaps not an earth-shattering fragrance but distinctive, versatile and fairly complex and with good projection and longevity, plus available remarkably cheaply.

-Elysium
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

1881 Pour Homme
This 1990 release from Nino Cerruti is still widely available and can be found for very good price. Does the scent match the price? or does this punch well above its weight?

8.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Terente
Look what they've done to my... perfume
For me, Cerruti 1881 (batch 6286/2016) is like a time travel. It's like a lighter, brighter and softer version of Salvador Dali Pour Homme, plus/minus 1-2 notes! Always wearable. The longevity and sillage are average, much weaker after reformulations than the vintage 1881. Still good quality/price ratio. Discreet, classy, complex, tonic and versatile. Suitable for men, but true MEN.
10.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Highly Underated Fragrance
This fragrance is the best go to fragrances around. My daughters complimented me over and over on how fresh and clean it smelled to them. This is a keeper!
8.0 7.0 9.0 8.0/10

Admirable Fougére de Cerruti
1881 for man is a highly underrated fragrance. It is easy to buy it online for 18~20 Euros (100 ml).
It is one of the 80's aromatic fougere beastie mode frags that still sells today; Thanks god for it as it would be a shame not being able to buy this Cerruti masterpiece any longer.
Cerruti is still launching flankers of this EDT. The last one I tried is 1881 Signature for man (2017), a fantastic leather fragrance that is selling quite well.
I tested it with 3 women close to me and received one "so so" and two "awesome".
The bottle is quite nice in my opinion and has a very good sprayer.
It opens with a very bold and powerful green fresh vibe, due to the juniper and cypress top notes a just bit tamed by lavender.
The middle notes ensure that this fresh green vibe will endure a bit more due to a very agreeable vétiver a bit softened by Ylang and rose.
The pine and oak moss base notes do grant that this fantastic fragrance remains manly and green till the last sniff.
Its beasty longevity is easily 14+ hours. You may over spray a bit - 4 sprays not more - for a bigger sillage.
Overall I do get a vibe similar to Loewe Esencia. Different frags but evoking the same feelings.
It is indeed a very nice and unique juice.

My rates
Presentation: 8.0
Overall rating: 8.30/10,00

I love this fragrance

Liberté Égalité Fougèrité
Michael Edwards classifies 1881 pour Homme as a citrus.

It has a yellow citrus background, on which aromatic, fougère, green tree resins, white lily bouquet, iris, spicy and chypre elements progress.

Taxonomically, 1881 falls somewhere between Eau Sauvage, Pour Monsieur de Chanel, a lily soliflor such as Donna Karan Gold, and Dior Homme.

Comfortable to wear, it settles to an elegant fougère with dandified floral chic.

Strangely overlooked in The Guide, I wonder why...
10.0 10.0 10.0 9.0/10

Blue Amber
Wow! I am awed. Where to begin... Sneaking, crazy, sexy! Hard to find such a perfume, that grants so perfectly that is promised in the note list. Prominently well-balanced fragrance with patchouli dominance.

It is smoky blue, masculine, beneath comes something that reminds me the amber-tonka golden pair. 1881 pour HOMME hikes deeper and deeper to the forest, oakmoss, pine and woods imparadises your nerves. Patchouli hovers over the beautiful mix with ylang-ylang.

It can be compared to Hasu-no-hana in complexity and endurance. I encourage all perfumistas, who like earthy fragrances, to give it a try. Although it is blended clearly for men (and rush their chastity into danger), me, as woman, can not stop using up my small sample.

Many thanks to Oloroso for the generous gift, that enchanted me so much!

Elysium 2 years ago
I have or I had nearly all of the 1881 flankers and I loved or liked them but the original has something that puzzles my head and my soul :(+4
6.0

by Michael
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967

Popular Nino Cerruti

1881 pour Femme by Nino Cerruti 1881 pour Homme (2005) (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Black by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti L'Essence de Cerruti (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Signature by Nino Cerruti 1881 Acqua Forte by Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti CerrutiSí (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image pour Femme by Nino Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Femme by Nino Cerruti Cerruti pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Femme by Nino Cerruti 1881 Bella Notte pour Homme by Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti pour Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti Cerruti Image Harmony by Nino Cerruti 1881 Collection by Nino Cerruti 1881 Amber (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche pour Homme by Nino Cerruti Fair Play (Eau de Toilette) by Nino Cerruti