Allure Homme 1999 Eau de Toilette

Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1999. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

MuskMusk
SandalwoodSandalwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.10.2021.

The first great love
You were my first Chanel and to you I come back again and again.
I've been looking for a replacement for a long time, but whenever it runs to the end a new bottle is unpacked. It started with 50ml, then came 100ml and of course the 150ml have already been made empty.
You are my daily companion and have always given me the necessary self-confidence when it came to it. Oral Abitur, exams at university, job interviews and assessment centers. I trust you, your charisma and attraction. First and foremost, you could say you're fresh and clean. A little playful and creative, but certainly not the one who shouts: look here, I'm playful and creative. Loud sounds aren't your thing anyway. There are extroverts with extroverted scents. And then there's you, the introvert. You don't want to be the center of attention, but when you talk, everyone still listens to you because your words are relevant. A fragrance with a hand and a foot, so to speak. With character. You also stand out in a crowd, but not to everyone. Which doesn't mean you're irrelevant or even stuffy. One must come closer to you to perceive and grasp you completely.
No Aventus full gold Rolex. No Paco Rabanne Hublot. You are the Chanel Jaeger-LeCoultre. Connoisseurs respect you, wearers appreciate you. You have style, but of course you would never say that about yourself. Because you know what it means to have style.

I got to know you through my first real girlfriend. You were a gift that enriched my life. And I remember exactly the words of my girlfriend, when we were in a large perfumery chain and I tested in the Chanel display your brother Allure Homme Sport: "The saleswoman said that was currently very popular with young men, but I thought the normal has better suited to you". That's right.
I really appreciate your family, and I'm actually quite happy that your blonde sister and extreme-water-sports-enthusiast brother are the center of attention. Because that way, you'll always be my big love that isn't stuck on every other one in the pedestrian zone.

PS: Not like my ex-girlfriend, but thank you at this point for the generous gift and this great often overlooked perfume.

ScentSlave
This is the latest one in the line that I picked up…
…despite it being the first one produced. I was hesitant because the reviews are so polar, and the statements made by the haters saying how “dated” it smells, as well as how “weak” the performance is.

I grabbed it because I had some Macy’s cash sitting on the verge of expiration, and nothing else being interesting at the moment.

Boy, am I glad I did.

The fragrance itself is simply magnificent. I personally don’t think it’s dated at all. A very elegant, masculine feeling it gives outward through a 2-3ft radius. The sillage throughout the line feels the same, leaving a distinct trail that leads in your direction without filling any rooms. Longevity is the same throughout the Allure line as well, maxing out in 4-6hrs.

The entire line sits near the top of my list, if it only gave a little more bang in projection/sillage for a little bit longer, it would be at the absolute top.
Revisited
Suddenly Richie was back.
Maybe he had been in Amsterdam, sleeping in the sleep-in
slept in. If that still existed. Or even at the Krasnapolsky.
Who knows?
Or he was somewhere else entirely.
Anyway - he was standing in front of me.
"Shall we go over there?"
He pointed to the terrace of the café on the other
Side of the street.
"Okay."
"We need to talk about perfume..." he said, while
we waited for our cappucino.
"Please, shoot..." I didn't expect any
Explanations about his whereabouts, I knew him
too well.
"More specifically, about Allure Homme, which we both
own. I discovered the common thread that makes it so
special. And incidentally also what about fragrance perception
perception in general.. "Do things..."
"Please take this seriously, you'll see..."
"I'm not saying anything..."
"Well, I've known him for at least four or five years now and
but this realization came to me only yesterday, no
I don't know why. It's like the brain has to sort through all those notes for so
to sort through all the notes to get some kind of hierarchy in there a coherent overall picture..."
"Now I'm curious after all..."
"So - the differentiating building block, even if it's not
directly in the foreground, comes about 70% from a
Peach juice note, say Granini with that typical
overripe character, and 30% from sweetened coconut milk."
"Well, that's special. But please remember that
our chatter here usually ends up on Parfumo somehow,
and there we owe the people maybe bit more
Information, at times some may not yet
know the perfume..."
"You're weird!"
"Oh come on, like you don't know," I interjected.
"Alright - quick recap. Allure Homme is the
Urduft of a series that is quite successful. Starts in
Principle with mixed freshness from bergamot and lavender
in which quickly lightly spiced florality radiates in.
Later then sandalwood, vanilla, some tonka, a little
hinted leather. Everything soft-fresh, slightly creamy, for the
Year '99 definitely with some novelty value."
"And quite put down by many, with quite sub-
different reasons..."
"That's right - Chanel-unworthy was said, because of the main-
stream commercial character. Funny. As if they didn't also
as if they didn't want or need to sell..."
"Mr. Turin, whom we actually both appreciate, didn't
not to call it a crude copy of Cool Water.. i remembered "Right, in some kind of educational zeal to teach Chanel
to give Chanel a lesson, so he does sometimes
sometimes quite like, even at Guerlain..."
"As if Chanel would be impressed by such a thing, the
tick completely different..."
"Anyway, in the Allure is neither an apple note nor what
Aquatic or even dihydromyrcenol balling..."
"But really, no!"
"Others accuse him of a giant jumble of notes
that don't add up to a proper composition..." "That's more understandable, there's a lot in it
really," I replied, eager to hear what Richie
would have to say about it.
would.
"A lot, actually. But that's what gives it its character.
Especially since there's that organizing accord of peach juice and
Coconut, the red thread, which is so woven that he sometimes
to be noticed and sometimes just supportive in the background..."
"Which YOU discovered..."
"Well, not just that, many already mention, but just
not what structuring significance he has..."
"You deserve a monument..."
"Bullshit! I don't want to. Although..."
"I can see it now, 4 meters high, made of Carrara marble or
or better still, carved out of oud wood.. chiseled, "Richie, discoverer of the peach-coconut complex."
"I'm too modest for that, you know - modesty
is the beginning of all reason..."
"Oh, come on. Only the lumps are modest. Brave ones rejoice
of the deed."
"Gibberish. Modesty is the fence of wisdom."
"If you're too modest, it's only by the devil's help
will get to court!"
"What shall I do at court?"
"Maybe spray around with Allure...?"
"O.k, now ma' something else. Today I wear the fragrance again and in focus I see more the mixture of sandalwood
with lavender and only muted peach... coconut only as
little creaminess interruption or something. Well, this
mentioned chord is still there, but not quite
as prominent as I thought it was yesterday..."
"Interesting..."
"But still nice, and definitely not boring..."
"Quasi a fragrance, which from its ultimately refined
Variety of materials always reinvents itself
reinvents - or something like that...?"
"Or better, a fragrance that always creates a different
Fragrance emerges in consciousness..."
"Sounds good. Very good, even..."
"Maybe even too good...?"
Nope. Democritus says it too - in fact we
nothing, for truth lies in the depths."
"Maybe he's right. Or maybe he isn't. But anyway..."
"Do you remember once, after a Fluxus performance
after a Fluxus performance
by Ben Vautier and about seven deep shots
art?"
"Sure - art is asking the question, what is art."
"Exactly. We just have to think the phrase further. That's
the good thing about it is that it allows for that..."
"All right, then. That would be - perfume art..."
"...or rather, let's just say "perfume"...
"O.k. So perfume is asking the question, what is perfume."
"Cool."
"You know what, Richie...?"
"Nope, what?"
"I think we got it again!"
Only office
Short and crisp,

Fresh, slightly peppery and Typical Chanel DNA, very classy smell and not intrusive. Perfect for the office.

Durability not good about 4 to 5 hours
Silage not good to average
Price too Expensive

Conclusion: Class fragrance, timeless in definition and damn noble, the office fragrance with charisma.
Buy recommendation? No, too expensive and poor performance for sen price
4ajbukoshka
One more lap around the view in your passenger seat..
"One more lap around the block in your passenger seat...
Don't get out of the car yet, so it stays the same!"
Lea - passenger seat

Signorina 4ajbukoshka sits in the same.
Driver is none other than Signor Il heartbreaker.
Inside the car, unlike outside, it is pleasantly warm, the heated seats are on and the Italian is just "OHMIODIO".
He looks like Michele Morrone, only younger, with slightly softer features and, as if that wasn't bad enough, dear, trusting eyes to boot. And those curls to boot!
I guess with them it's like with scents: you think you like them or you don't, you've formed your opinion long ago and all of a sudden this one comes along and questions everything you thought you knew about your taste.
Before the Italian, Miss 4ajbukoshka thought she didn't like men with curls. (After all, she has some of her own - and they get on her nerves big time, almost every day.)
She thought she wouldn't like vetiver.
Just like she used to think Chanel was for grandmas and grandpas, with too much money but all the less taste.
Pahahahaha. Silly little sheep, Koshka my ass.
(Note: Koshka - (female) cat, in Russian)
The Italian, who knows Miss Verressovich-4ajbukoshka and her strange questions - about his detergent (he doesn't know, his mother washes his laundry), his hair gel (Signorina, everything else is still fine with you?) and much more by now quite well, has thought along:
In his glove compartment, she finds today next to the vegan fruit, the best gummy bears ever, available at Aldi and Rossmann, the bottle of perfume, which accompanies him today.

Allure - not like airs and graces, but like attraction ^ 1000.
Exactly has Signor Il heartbreaker, on ladies of all ages as well as on the forgiven faction, which noticed or even secretly risked a languorous look.
Even though you might think that now, he's not macho, not at all.
He is the type who always lets a lady go first, holds the door open for her sometimes, is never pushy, just charming and attentive like hardly anyone else.
If hundreds of men would take a leaf out of his book, there would still remain a mannerly gentleman.
He scores with genteel restraint, as does Chanel's Allure.
Although the two sit in the car for a few hours and the windows are closed, Allure does not remain perceptible in the air for long.

Floral, woody, indefinable.
Signorina has a very sensitive, good nose, though not always the right words for what she feels.
Here it smells warm, soft, familiar. Like in Signor Herzensbrecher's car, which he has given a really cute name and talks to every now and then.

The conversations between the fragrant driver and his greedy passenger are musically accompanied by the Sanremo Festival and ironically 4ajbukoshka and the Italian now have a song, "their" song. But that's another story.

After some detours and a very extended tour, it's time to say goodbye.

Signorina 4ajbukoshka opens the glove compartment, sprays Allure on the collar of her jacket, which she had actually only put on as a matter of principle and then taken off again after two minutes, is greeted by bergamot and peach and seen off by the Italian with a hug, a frown and a "See you soon!" and disappears into the house.
Allure, however, unlike the Italian, will certainly not disappear.
(As already mentioned, the H / S of Allure is not the dollste, so is meant by the comment that I still some times nachsprühe(n lassen)n will)
The balance
Hach, I have already tested a few fragrances in the last months - or even years and my taste has constantly changed. In the beginning I liked it loud! A Dufte had to consequently above all by the fact that he ne ne ne projection and ne super durability possesses. If it was a niche fragrance, all the better. After that, I was looking for fragrances that could convince with their extremely tart freshness. Now I feel like I have tested myself through almost all the ups and downs, feel balanced in terms of my fragrance preferences. I now like the mixture, a fragrance should above all not be too complex, so do not overwhelm me, and have a distinctly masculine imprint. If it also goes into the rather fresh, I am completely satisfied. When I look at my now very reduced collection, there are only a few fragrances that fit this pattern. Surely there is still the one or other blind buy, but that usually gives way over time. All my Amouages, Fords, Creeds, etc. are very much shrunk in bulk. Well, why am I telling you all this? Because there is a fragrance that fully convinces me in all respects and meets the middle of my criteria catalog, so to speak: Allure (1999).

The fragrance:
I think Allure has everything a fragrance must possess, he is somehow fresh, subtly spicy, not too peppery, cuddly cuddly, but consistently masculine, elegant as well as casual and above all he is timeless! If you look at its young successors, you will always recognize the zeitgeist and find them either too overloaded or too youthful at some point (just my opinion). With the Usprungsallure it is different, it is sublime over the time and radiates and its timelessness before itself. Also, it is not too loud, it is well perceived at an arm's length and lingers a good 5-6 hours on the skin of the wearer. I think, more a fragrance must also not perform at all, unless you are on it to fog rooms.

Bergamot/lavender and pepper, by the way, ensure that the fragrance has its timeless elegance. You simply don't need more than these fragrance basics to create a beautiful scent. The pepper brings the masculine spice, bergamot and lavender the fluffy, citrusy touch. The latter in particular is very present in the opening, but pulls back expertly as the fragrance progresses. The many other fragrances I perceive in this round composition rather in the background and quite interwoven. It is difficult to smell them individually. Only the rose comes out here and there again stabbing and gives the whole a seductive aura.

Consequently, it can be stated that we have to do with "Allure" with a fragrance that is fully in balance.

The name "attraction" was in my opinion rarely more appropriate Vergeben, a cheer for this beautiful classic, may he still be sold for a long time.

A Chanel that doesn't smell like Chanel
Chanel is well known for his historic nº5 and for great classy and classic fragrances.
Unfortunately, the Olivier Polge era isn't going well and his father's last creations aren't truly classics either.

Bleu de Chanel or Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme aren't great releases although are the ones that youtubers and young noses know and praise a lot. That's because of this diabetic disease around perfumery. Since late 90's, the fragrance industry started to put out some sweet creations in the masculine lineup. GIvenchy's Pi, JPG Le Male, A*Men, etc...

In 1999, Jacques Polge created this Allure. A Chanel fragrance that doesn't smell like Chanel. A sweet concoction with creamy nuances and some fougere hints here and there. Lavender, bergamot, creamy woods and sweet tonka with a touch of peach. Since his creation, Chanel's masculines changed to a more fresh, sporty and versatile scents for everyday use.

Although not a great fragrance, it's one that is very overshadowed by his little brothers (Allure Homme Sport, Eau Extreme or even Edition Blanche (the best one, btw)) and specially by the Bleu line. This is one of the first good fresh-sweet fragrances that helped change the perfumery that we know today. For the good and the bad. But anyway, this is still masculine and with a 90's vibe. Super versatile, like some of his contemporanies (Boss Bottled, Rochas Man, etc...) and better than the Sport flankers.

I only prefer Edition Blanche over this for a Spring and summer day, but this is great for fall and winter. The only problem is that it was reformulated and it doesn't last so well and it isn't so complex (specially in the opening) like the version that i have (2002 batch), but still, is a good option for a everyday fragrance.

A fragrance that deserves more atention thatn the newer Chanel's fragrances.
3/5
Royalo
A classic in a class of its own
I love the entire Allure range. This fragrance has paved the way for a fantastic series. You can actually wear this fragrance all year round no matter what the occasion. So a perfect signature scent. I think Chanel as well as Dior and Guerlain clearly stand out from the competition in the designer sector. You can smell that in Chanel's Allure as well. So I don't see any reason not to give this gorgeous fragrance a try. I hope my comment was helpful. LG rudirednose9

Ageless and free...
A wonderful scent of elegance and distinction, the result of a natural blend of citrus essences and spices, topped with what in French would be called a "je ne sais quoi", a mysterious ingredient, perhaps related to its peppery freshness. It has already turned 20 years old, but I would say it is ageless. For me, anyway. And it brings back fond memories of far happier times, when we were free to go out into the world and breathe in all what nature and human maestria had to offer, without fear of tomorrow and one's fellow human beings. Those were the days...
Musikus70
I like it better than AHSEE
After AHSEE was a blind buy due to the good ratings without exception on the net I tested the Allure Homme in the shop. At first I didn't smell much on the cardboard strip, which is mostly the case with me, with a few exceptions. I smell wet cardboard, nothing else. Arrived at home, sniffed again. Aah, that smells good. Smells good the following days too, still good. Then the decision was made, bought it and no regrets. I would describe it as very balanced. Nothing stands out, nothing annoys and towards the end it becomes a little vanilla. A citric prelude, as often described, I cannot necessarily confirm. There are completely different calibres(Dior Eau Sauvage).
Compared to AHSEE, I really like this one better, because it doesn't have that smashed Tonka bomb, which you can smell 10 meters against the wind and which still doesn't let go of you the next

MikeMikeMikeMike 11 months ago
Soapy fresh, poor sillage, good for spring.
TiagoPM28TiagoPM28 1 year ago
Such a great classic! Not oversweet, not overspicy, unique enough to the 'uniqueness-centered' fans. Typical elegance from Chanel, an icon!!
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
I used to think that this was just "the male scent standard" and kept away. Now I love this for the same reason.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
This year turns 21 and yet it is still so modern, bold, wonderful! Fresh, spicy, sweet, and woody, perfect for these first days of spring.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A complex and refined accord never "shouted" but only suggested:that's the atpout of this perfectly balanced discrete scent for a classy man
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A reasonably good Fresh=>Spicy=>Woody fragrance but a perfume not unique unreasonable priced by Chanel. Similar top perfumes cost way less.
MillanderMillander 2 years ago
Very nice manly fragrance. It has little sillage but very good longetivity.

by Graybeard
by Nickname
by Ialgadi
by Ialgadi

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel