Allure Homme (1999) Eau de Toilette

Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design: Jacques Helleu
Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1999. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Lavender, Mandarin, Peach, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Freesia, Gardenia, Jasmine, Patchouli, Pepper, Rose, Rosewood, Vetiver, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.03.2019

9.0 6.0 8.0 8.0/10

Another Chanel classic...
This is truly another Chanel classic! Very manly, for a mature type of men, safe for work, perfect for fall/winter, amazing dry down, it has a perfect blend of ingredients with a gorgeous vanilla and Tonka bean with the quality that characterizes the house. I didn't like it when it was originally released but now that I'm older I really appreciate and love it. I currently own most the Allure flankers and this one is a gem, the father of the line.

Middle Child
The classy middle child of the Chanel family of Men's fragrances. Antaeus, Pour Monsieur and Egoïste is where the sophistication began. Allure Homme is where it sadly ended. Allure Blanche, Allure Sport, Allure Sport Cologne, Allure Sport Eau Extrême, Bleu de Chanel, Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum. I don't know about you, but in comparison to what's available from Chanel for women, I'm feeling robbed of quality. Brands like Givenchy and Gucci are just as guilty of mainstream conversion, but Chanel is supposed to be a "Prestige" house. While Antaeus may strike many as retro, Pour Monsieur dated and Egoïste classic, Allure Homme is the Chanel I would say is quite balanced and a timeless scent. After 17 years, I have yet to encounter anything that even remotely reminds me of Allure. Warm and woodsy with a bite of pepper. Tonka bean and vanilla provides a sensual finish, thus giving life to its title.
5.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

The old brother
Allure is a great blend of fruits, vanilla, woods and some spices.

Sweet in the right way, it's a very good option for cooler seasons.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium.

Definetely another must have!

Updated January 2014
5.0/10

Drseid
Another Middling Polge Composition...
I just get a mildly cloying warm citrus that just hangs around throughout the duration. Pretty much that is it. I like citrus scents as a category, but this one is a bit too overpowering a much to cloying to be considered seriously for daily wear by me. Well made, but not really something I'd enjoy. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.
9.0/10

Allure of the East
A common criticism of Allure Homme is that it's just another generic oriental fragrance. To me, that's a bit like saying a Shakespeare sonnet is generic because it's just another sonnet. Same form, same rhyme scheme he simply exchanged a few flowery words. Ho hum.

Perhaps where Allure falls short for some is that it's not cast in the fragrance language of our time. Extending the sonnet analogy, it's like a living poet who writes in the language of Shakespeare. However, in the case of Allure, I imagine it as a perfume created in the language of early 20th century European Orientalism. Of course, I can't claim that as fact. However, Coco Chanel was very fond of Orientalist trends. A well known example of this is her collection of coromandel screens. Given that the House of Chanel does what it can to maintain Mademoiselle Chanel's vision and legacy then the idea that Allure is meant to evoke an earlier era doesn't seem too far fetched.

When I was thinking about how to describe Allure, the influence of Eastern art on Claude Debussy and Gustav Klimt also came to mind. Allure exudes the richness and opulence you find in their work. The swirling Arabesques of Debussy and Klimt's use of gold in his exotic/erotic paintings (I equate Allure with the color gold). I really do imagine Allure as an idealization of the artistic language of that era.

Even if I were to be convinced that Allure is a generic smelling fragrance I would insist that it is a worthy reproduction of a beautiful age. It's crafted with a depth and quality that few designer orientals can match.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

A commanding presence
Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when a Chanel fragrance would appeal to me. I found a brand new appreciation for Chanel fragrances hidden in their male scents.

Allure Homme is delicious, complex, incredibly sexy and so very pleasing from a female's perspective.

This fragrance is the epitomy of the perfect man; rugged good looks, masculine, strong, intense and although a little rough around the edges, it's enough to make women fall at his feet.

Allure Homme has a commanding presence in a room. The scent is very grounded yet quite rich and warm, creating a sexual yet relaxed atmosphere, which certainly calms me yet puts me in the mood almost instantly.

Unlike most male colognes on the market today that all seem to follow the predictable citrusy/fresh pattern, this woodsy and earthy scent has character and appeal.

I highly recommend even if the price is a little too high. It is definitely worth it.

mag den sehr am passenden Mann...
mein Lieblingsduft am Mann
by Miaw2
by Nickname
by Nickname

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel