Allure Homme (1999) Eau de Toilette

Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design: Jacques Helleu
Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1999. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Ginger, Lavender, Mandarin, Peach, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAniseed, Freesia, Gardenia, Jasmine, Patchouli, Pepper, Rose, Rosewood, Vetiver, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Oakmoss, Coconut, Leather, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.10.2019

10.0 7.0 8.0 10.0/10

N471v3
"Something is not perfect when you can't give anything to improve it, but when you can't take anything away without worsening it."
From Molière. Or Michael Angelo? Ok, I have no idea... :D I admit it.

But this saying has just shot through my head in my experience with Allure Homme.

My story with Allure Homme is funny. A few years ago, at the beginning of my perfume career, I came across "Allure Homme Sport", "Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme" and "Edition Blanché". These are what I call "drop-out fragrances." That means they're, in my opinion, perfumes that could end the search, and be happy forever, and smell good The smell, the predicates (durability & silage), the applicability to almost all occasions, everything fits. Signature-enabled fragrances, if you will.

But then where would be the fun of the new discoveries when you stop searching? ;)

Anyway, a few years ago I also tested the not so often mentioned Allure Homme in a department store. Unfortunately, the experience was rather unfortunate, even an hour later it smelled only over-twisted sweet, up into the frontal sinus, much too strong.
Sweet with an oriental touch, much too strong and shocking.

Well, I'm afraid from this point of view, I've had a fatal false impression while testing. Either my nose was already overdriven by the department store, or I simply applied too much, or smelled too close to it with my nose, or the scent was reformulated since then
Cause I recently came up with that again. I think I didn't have it in my hand for a long time, had the intuition in the business that I had to try it again.
And BÄM!!! What I smell now is a mainly fresh, spicy, woody scent, with a slightly oriental touch, and a fabulously well balanced sweetness.
You can smell the lemon strongly, but I personally cannot separate it from the bergamot. Sandalwood smells with vanilla one also, coconut luckily not!!
But it's definitely more than the sum of its parts, just look at all the notes... nothing was left to chance, it was optimized for a long time in the dark room. :)

The fragrance now reminds me immensely of Ferragamo F Black, one of my absolute favorite / signature fragrances. Which is really cool... :)

Allure Homme is almost like a mixture of F by Ferragamo,- and F Black, so Allure is like the EdT if F Black were the EdP.

A little airier, a little less body.

But just a phenomenally good perfume...

And to get back to the title, although I like all Allure Homme Flankers, I understand them only now completely, and see Allure Homme as "the geometrical center" of this series.

I would certainly have worn this fragrance often in situations where I thought about it between the others. Everyone is really good... briefly summarized:
Sport is slightly more youthful in appearance, and more summery.
Eau Extreme has a characteristic oriental touch with high recognition value, and is slightly heavier, EdP more moderate.
Edition Blanche has a slightly strange (but beautiful) peculiarity, somehow it reminds me of a silk scarf. Lemon, and so velvety and smooth... but at the same time a little bit buff, snooty.

And Allure Homme is the focus... the reclining daddy who is very aware of himself and doesn't have to be anything special.
The distilled original idea of a fragrance series, the atomic, indivisible smallest joint of DNA.

And it's really good at that, my opener in the headline says it.

I don't mean to say that he is better per se than one of the Flankers, every one of them has his fans, and his fields of application.

But the knowledge to grasp and understand this scent now feels just like an enlightenment.

What fascinates me even more is how a fragrance from 1999 can still be so timeless and good! Was that strongly reformulated?
Didn't my nose deceive me, and he's not himself anymore, was vl. even closer to F Black?
Otherwise it has aged exorbitantly well! :)

Tell me in the answers what you think.

I say goodbye enlightened, and with Allure Homme of Chanel on my body, into the night!

Your N471v3
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

DonJuanDeCat
The beginning of everything!
Hello, folks. Welcome to a new commentary from me today describing a fragrance that should be familiar to everyone here, even if you've never smelt it before. It's about Chanel - Allure Homme, the very original Allure Homme, so no sport or something.

A fragrance that smells good and made sure that later, especially with the sports variants, really popular Flankers appeared, which unfortunately were popular for a while ZU and were used by everyone, similar to Thierry Mugler's Alien, which all smell super, but often still provide for eye rolls because they have been used by so many too often (waaah, some girls even find Alien really awful!!!) *sigh* You smell so delicious with it...).
The Allure series is also known for being "panty droppers"... well, some people have told me that Allure Homme Sport would smell great, but I have never seen dropping briefs with it before, no *sigh* :DD
In any case, they seemed to be well received, which had ensured that the fragrances were often used at parties at that time. I honestly don't know what it looks like today.

Be that as it may, even though this fragrance should be 20 years old now, it was all the more time that I tested it and described it here. And although it seems to smell quite similar to its following flankers, this one has a little more elegance and maturity somehow...

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins very nicely with citrus-fresh notes like lemon or bergamot, herbaceous scents like ginger (which go very well with the fresh and citrus notes!) and lavender, which gives the fragrance a slightly more mature impression. Somehow I already smell the tonka bean slightly out, which also allows me to perceive the typical scent of the Allure Homme Sport range.
The tonka bean even becomes quite strong, so that you can smell its powdery-sweet scent quite well. Together with ginger and lavender, the fragrance smells very good, and there is also a little pepper to go with it, which smells neither pungent nor overwhelming and is well balanced. I don't really smell all the indicated flowers, they probably serve for the good overall impression of the fragrance, without one being able to perceive or determine these fragrances correctly at all.
In the background there are amber and benzoin, which make the fragrance appear quite soft and soft despite some bitter or spicy notes like pepper, especially in combination with the also soft and powdery fragrances like tonka bean and (a little later) vanilla.
Later, one smells mainly Tonkabohe + vanilla most intensively, then comes the described remainder like amber, lavender, light pepper, benzoin and remaining citric notes.
Much later one smells, as usual with fragrances with tonka and vanilla, almost only these two fragrances the most or the longest out. All in all a very beautiful fragrance.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is okay, but I find that the scent is not a firecracker because of the strength. The best way to smell the fragrance is to smell it close up, because I had the feeling that its intensity went down quickly. The shelf life was not bad due to the Tonka+Vanilla combination with its eight to ten hours, but the scent is unfortunately quite weak at the later hour as far as the Sillage is concerned.

The bottle:
The rectangular, slightly bloated bottle here is transparent with a light light brown bronze hue. In this colour, only slightly more intense, is also the large inscription on the bottle. The cylindrical lid has a light, olive-brown-silver colour and has a chrome ring with the Chanel inscription on it in the middle. The logo of Chanel can also be seen on the lid. All in all a beautiful, noble looking bottle.

Soo... I really liked the smell. He also reminded me very much of the sports series. Of course I mean the quite successful Homme Sport and Homme Sport Eau Extrême fragrances, and not the in my opinion somewhat worse Colognes (among other things with the grandios stupid name "... Sport Cologne Sport"... so you have to have a doctorate to get such a name...).

Yeah, the smell here is great! In contrast to the sports variants, however, this one comes across a little more classic and mature, whereby the fragrance, discreetly dosed, so that could also be worn as an everyday fragrance. This makes the EDT a great all-rounder here, while the sports versions are more suitable for going out. But of course you could also go out with this scent here.

But I can also imagine that not everyone will like this fragrance (especially because it smells synthetic in the background and because it reminds too much of the normal sports versions), but I would recommend it for a test, because I still think it is modern, no, actually more timeless, which should always work!

And that's it again. Have a nice evening, don't melt because of the too great (and disgustingly unbearable, argh, everything from 30 degrees is terrible) heat (which will apparently last terribly long) and until the next time! :)
8.0 6.0 7.0 6.5/10

Lemon cake
What's there to say about Allure Homme? Chanel made more money with this fragrance at the end of the 90's than with any other men's fragrance before. Classic early 2000 he Chanel flatterer for the wide mass.

Smells for me very fresh in the top note, after lemon cake and creamy. Towards the end the lemon cake turns more into a vanilla-coconut ice cream.
Sillage and durability are Chanel standard 5 - 6 hours.

Price technically is this here overpriced nothing special. But I immediately realize why this one sells so well masses suitable!

It's like with today's music you ask what this song is called out of curiosity and forgot it 5 minutes later because it's just too irrelevant.
9.0 6.0 8.0 8.0/10

Another Chanel classic...
This is truly another Chanel classic! Very manly, for a mature type of men, safe for work, perfect for fall/winter, amazing dry down, it has a perfect blend of ingredients with a gorgeous vanilla and Tonka bean with the quality that characterizes the house. I didn't like it when it was originally released but now that I'm older I really appreciate and love it. I currently own most the Allure flankers and this one is a gem, the father of the line.

Middle Child
The classy middle child of the Chanel family of Men's fragrances. Antaeus, Pour Monsieur and Egoïste is where the sophistication began. Allure Homme is where it sadly ended. Allure Blanche, Allure Sport, Allure Sport Cologne, Allure Sport Eau Extrême, Bleu de Chanel, Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum. I don't know about you, but in comparison to what's available from Chanel for women, I'm feeling robbed of quality. Brands like Givenchy and Gucci are just as guilty of mainstream conversion, but Chanel is supposed to be a "Prestige" house. While Antaeus may strike many as retro, Pour Monsieur dated and Egoïste classic, Allure Homme is the Chanel I would say is quite balanced and a timeless scent. After 17 years, I have yet to encounter anything that even remotely reminds me of Allure. Warm and woodsy with a bite of pepper. Tonka bean and vanilla provides a sensual finish, thus giving life to its title.
5.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

The old brother
Allure is a great blend of fruits, vanilla, woods and some spices.

Sweet in the right way, it's a very good option for cooler seasons.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are medium.

Definetely another must have!

Updated January 2014
5.0/10

Drseid
Another Middling Polge Composition...
I just get a mildly cloying warm citrus that just hangs around throughout the duration. Pretty much that is it. I like citrus scents as a category, but this one is a bit too overpowering a much to cloying to be considered seriously for daily wear by me. Well made, but not really something I'd enjoy. 2.5 to 3 stars out of 5.
9.0/10

Allure of the East
A common criticism of Allure Homme is that it's just another generic oriental fragrance. To me, that's a bit like saying a Shakespeare sonnet is generic because it's just another sonnet. Same form, same rhyme scheme he simply exchanged a few flowery words. Ho hum.

Perhaps where Allure falls short for some is that it's not cast in the fragrance language of our time. Extending the sonnet analogy, it's like a living poet who writes in the language of Shakespeare. However, in the case of Allure, I imagine it as a perfume created in the language of early 20th century European Orientalism. Of course, I can't claim that as fact. However, Coco Chanel was very fond of Orientalist trends. A well known example of this is her collection of coromandel screens. Given that the House of Chanel does what it can to maintain Mademoiselle Chanel's vision and legacy then the idea that Allure is meant to evoke an earlier era doesn't seem too far fetched.

When I was thinking about how to describe Allure, the influence of Eastern art on Claude Debussy and Gustav Klimt also came to mind. Allure exudes the richness and opulence you find in their work. The swirling Arabesques of Debussy and Klimt's use of gold in his exotic/erotic paintings (I equate Allure with the color gold). I really do imagine Allure as an idealization of the artistic language of that era.

Even if I were to be convinced that Allure is a generic smelling fragrance I would insist that it is a worthy reproduction of a beautiful age. It's crafted with a depth and quality that few designer orientals can match.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

A commanding presence
Wow! I never thought I'd see the day when a Chanel fragrance would appeal to me. I found a brand new appreciation for Chanel fragrances hidden in their male scents.

Allure Homme is delicious, complex, incredibly sexy and so very pleasing from a female's perspective.

This fragrance is the epitomy of the perfect man; rugged good looks, masculine, strong, intense and although a little rough around the edges, it's enough to make women fall at his feet.

Allure Homme has a commanding presence in a room. The scent is very grounded yet quite rich and warm, creating a sexual yet relaxed atmosphere, which certainly calms me yet puts me in the mood almost instantly.

Unlike most male colognes on the market today that all seem to follow the predictable citrusy/fresh pattern, this woodsy and earthy scent has character and appeal.

I highly recommend even if the price is a little too high. It is definitely worth it.

einer meiner Lieblingsdüfte am Mann
by Santalwalti
mag den sehr am passenden Mann...
mein aktueller Favorit unter Männerdüften
by Miaw2
by Nickname
by Nickname

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel