Antaeus 1981 Eau de Toilette

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 94 in Men's Perfume
Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreumCastoreum
OakmossOakmoss
LabdanumLabdanum
PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.07.2021.

In Greek mythology, Antaeus was an almost invincible half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia.

The myth
Antaeus current formula - 2021

A fascinating fragrance. Rough and unpolished, yet not totally savage. Herbal at first with myrrh and coriander very present. The coriander and a faint floral (rose?) nuance give it just that bit of cleanliness to the overall ‘skank’.

With a base of mainly patchouli and oakmoss, the scent hints towards leather. Raw leather, I guess, but not so much a bear pelt or beaver sack. Where "Kouros" is a savage wolf, Antaeus is more of a fox. Clever and more graceful in its appearance. So much for the animalic aspects.

There's a 'classic vibe' all along, eighties obviously, although projection levels are set to what is nowadays socially acceptable - except maybe in the office or other confined spaces. Also, there is no vanilla, tonka or balsam sweetness to this. To me, all of these qualities are big plusses.

All in all, a scent that truely takes you back to the eighties and feel like that mythical Greek giant for a moment. There are cheaper alternatives with more or less the same effect, but Antaeus has the Chanel label and quality.

Crushed To Death In A Bear Hug
Antaeus challenged all passers-by to wrestling matches and remained invincible as long as he remained in contact with his mother, the earth. Like its modern equivalent, Greek wrestling typically attempted to force opponents to the ground, which he always won, killing his opponents himself. He built a temple for his father using their skulls. Antaeus fought Heracles on his way to the Garden of the Hesperides as his eleventh work. Heracles realized he could not beat Antaeus by throwing or blocking him. Instead, he held him up and then crushed him to death in a bear hug.

Antaeus was one of the most beautiful masterpieces of the eighties, and it is among the best animal perfumes that have been put on the market. The vintage version included the animal-based castoreum, which has now been replaced by a synthetic one. I'm afraid such a reformulation has crushed it to the ground to death as the mythological character it is named after. Castoreum was widely used in perfumery. Its very pungent and robust animal note makes it an interesting object in men's perfume, fougères, chypres, oriental-based leather notes. The warm and sweet atmosphere, the proximity to human sweat, and the castoreum's leathery animal note help the chords achieve sensuality. Miserably, I miss that atmosphere, that deep sensuality, and I struggled to recognize Antaeus when I smelled and bought the current version anyway. My olfactory memory had stored a unique perfume, more masculine, powerful, complex, more challenging, warmer, darker, enveloping, opulent than what it is today, in short, an invincible Antaeus who today has lost his immortality. As such, I fear young people will never know how fabulous the vintage perfumes of that period were, such as Antaeus, Shalimar, and Opium.

The composition of the Antaeus perfume is a woody powder. The contemporary Antaeus starts a little more tart with the scents of aldehydes and hesperides. The citrus accord is a blast, lemon and lime are quite tart, and the slightly astringent coriander leaves reinforce the acidity. The explosion doesn't stop there—the dark green of the clary sage and the resinousness of the myrrh complete that vibrant aroma. Although not mentioned, I get a deep waxiness as if pine needles were present, therefore pungent and balmy. Furthermore, even during this initially cool moment, the animal base is distinguishable.

As the aldehyde and musky tones wear off, I feel a slight leathery edge that blends with a beautiful aromatic and floral accord. The fragrance's heart is slightly herbaceous, spicy, rosy, which continues to be infused with the ever-increasing base notes. On the one hand, there are the fragrant green leaves of thyme and basil, on the other hand, there are the delicate flowers of rose and jasmine. The aromatic and floral notes confer delicacy and softness against the rough base notes, with hints of herbs and woods. Sage, thyme, and coriander create a glassy appearance, with the initial rawness further dampened by the misuse of rose and jasmine. Once the sparkling opening has faded on the skin, the beeswax and patchouli create a golden, shiny sweetness. As this evolves, the rose becomes prevalent, but never at levels of oriental Middle Eastern perfumes, recalling other feminine works by Chanel, now more than then.

The base of Anteo is warm and smells of soft, blunt, almost powdery woods and musk. There are leathery labdanum and a hint of patchouli, which has a distinctive earthy, green scent to which oak moss lends density and texture. In particular, the faint sweet smell of jasmine fused with the waxiness of labdanum creates a mellifluous vibe that many souls get from this scent, very close to the smell of acacia honey. Labdanum and myrrh also become prominent, giving a resinous and almost mouldy accord. Yet the vintage animalic castoreum isn't there, miserably, and that's the part I miss the most.
There are oriental and fougère shades in this chypre, the former from patchouli, sandalwood, and labdanum, the latter from a bouquet of herbs and flowers, oakmoss, and a hint of citrus. Along with the chypre labelling, both sides are all identifiable in distinct phases of this fragrance's progression. The last stage of the evolution of this perfume is leathery and powdery, but at the same time sweet, but still too enthusiastic.

Contemporary Antaeus is smooth and relatively linear; it has minimal sillage and decent lasting power, making it wearable even during the day in a work environment. Although it has been reformulated several times, it still maintains its character, once wilder and with more marked phases, now tamer, mellowed, with a less exaggerated evolution. He has lost that purely masculine side and today a female audience can wear it too. However, it remains a nice hit of perfume, for the coldest months, elegant and nocturnal. It has a slightly dirty, animal-like, musky smell with a hint of sweetness. There are some woody and herbaceous notes in Antaeus to still give it a masculine aromatic edge, but what by far dominates the base blend of semi-sweet labdanum and oakmoss. Yes, I like this modern Antaeus, with a hint of melancholy.

This review bases upon a 100ml bottle I own since February 2021.

-Elysium
Come to Daddy
Who is looking for a real classic, comes in my eyes not to this fragrance of Chanel past. This perfume is bursting with animal power and masculinity. Certainly, this fragrance does not make a little boy a grown man. It has to fit the wearer. Antaeus has that "old school" vibe I was looking for and love so much. It has something fresh, it has something earthy-woody but most of all it has the animalic-wild component that I like in fragrances like Aramis. I also admit that the base note with castoreum has triggered me to buy this scent.

My curiosity was rewarded for me anyway!

It's not a fragrance for soft-spoken wimps, as harsh as that sounds but here the combo of wearer and perfume has to fit. He will not shower you with compliments and you will scare people with it but so it must be, with such a fragrance with rough edges.

With time, he lets a little and becomes more velvety and those who are then still at your side are your true friends... or just smell blind ;) Joking aside, a how I find excellent fragrance for a good price.
Unsuess
In the current reformulation a fragrance that can be worn without any problems
Antaeus is often described as an animalic scent, and I once had an Antaeus dupe that actually fit that description. In this respect, I assume that the original version of Antaeus actually smelled quite animalic. In the current reformulation, on the other hand, Antaeus is a very balanced and easily wearable fragrance. Certainly very masculine and not for milquetoast boys, but also far from dirty. Rather respect-inspiring. In the office, I personally wear it rather rarely, because I do not want to be perceived as respect-inspiring there. But if you want to look respect-inspiring at work, you can certainly wear it there. For me personally rather elegant occasions, to which I dress up. In this context, I wear him but very happy.

It's Greek Alright
Prior to receiving this bottle, I was somewhat worried about it's "animal" qualities. However, upon first spray, I knew this greek named perfume is not vulger at all. Of all leather fragrances I've tried, this one is special. I get myrrh, a lot of it. A resinous fresh oakmoss peaking through. When heat comes, a strong basil comes out.

But what's truly intimate about it, is that when I breathe next to the sprayed area and sniff it, I get a PICTURE PERFECT HONEY.

I get it now. A tough, strong greek hero. But vulnerable at the same time. When love comes next to Antaeus, he is sweet as honey.
not mine, damn it...
parallel test to habit rouge, but it wasn't a great night...

explosive top note, very soon a feeling of spicy and soapy "gentlemanly scent"...

too banal and sweaty virile for me, puha!

then something becomes more tender and develops on my skin something to the better, against spicy-virile can be said as a man not much. or maybe nevertheless?!

in the end, derdiedas current antaeus remains spicy, soapy, sweetish and soft, but i can't say that this is a great development.

enormous durability: in the morning still clearly present with this spicy and soapy, but not pleasant for me.

i don't find this mythological giant of chanel particularly sophisticated - what a pity
Chizza
Animalistic beginning, then it becomes gentle
I start the evaluation with an anecdote: my 2 year old daughter - when she gets up before I go to work - usually accompanies me to the bathroom when I apply perfume. Usually she then says "Papa you smell super good" with woody, spicy, scents, she actually likes leather or similar. It wasn't like that here. She flinched irritated the first time and I could see that she didn't know what it was all about.

And therefore I can understand negative reactions, because in the first moment something explodes. For me Antaeus starts wildly, animalistically and then becomes more and more gentle. Often one thinks the scent is already gone, only to perceive it again moments later. Nothing for every day, I have other favorites. But we have here a fragrance with a statement, none that is interchangeable. That pleases me

The Imprint of a Gentleman
The truth is that I don't know what the original smelled like, nor do I care: It probably couldn't be worn now in public without being declared an olfactory terrorist (times change and society, in general - and fortunately - stinks much less than before, so "beast" projection doesn't proceed anymore).

What I know is the current formulation, and I have to say that it's a true masterpiece.

This fragrance stands out for its class and elegance, as well as its undeniable artistic character.

- To achieve this, what it does is combine that exquisite sophistication with a high manly contrast, something primal and instinctive; That's the artistic legacy that has traveled through time since the original formula.

The result is this legendary creation of Chanel, a benchmark of Jacques Polge's genius (and Demachy) at a time when maximum expressiveness was expected in fragrances.

More Info:

- Easily +10h. Longevity.
- Great projection & Heavy Sillage.
- Mood: For a classy and confident gentleman.
- Scenario & Occasions: Autumn and winter nights, dressed-up. Perfect for formal events and special occasions, especially at night.

So to conclude, remember this idea: Antaeus is the male reincarnation of "Chanel No. 5".
Antaius
Since I have been reading Parfumo for quite some time now and have now decided to register, I would like to dedicate my first comment to what in my opinion is an extraordinary fragrance.

Antaios - giant - mythology - invincible power.
Some of the first words that may be associated with the perfume. And indeed, in my opinion, this line is also consistently implemented in the perfume. Here we already have the rough, robust, basically not graceful or beautiful looking bottle on the outside - an expression of strength. On the other hand, a fragrance that doesn't seem to fit into the current world at all - almost like a myth
To be honest, when I spray Antaeus on, I don't hear any easily separable notes. This may be due to my untrained nose, but perhaps also partly to the fact that they interweave very harmoniously with each other. I can roughly imagine in the scent what Castoreum should smell like. In any case, I always consider the fragrance to be very artistically constructed.

For a long time I wondered what character this fragrance would suit, who I would like to smell it to. And in my thoughts there was always only one fictitious person/scene:
A handsome, tall, very athletic boss, perfectly dressed in a suit and carefully shaved, enters a conference room where his employees are already waiting and talking to each other. He is no one who has to distinguish himself from others, no one who only swings big words, no one who seems bossy. But a respectful person through his performance, deeds and his polite, understanding manner. Alone by the appearance the space falls silent. And just as the employees are respectfully silenced, all other fragrances in Antaeus' presence are also silent. He is simply superior to them and knows all the masculine scents of recent years in their bounds. It may not smell better than them, but it is more expressive, safer, more powerful.

I think such people are very rare these days, unfortunately. But I can't really imagine this enormous scent on anyone else, contrary to the often held opinion in the statements. On no biker with a leather jacket and an unkempt beard who makes a big deal out of "thick pants" or other machos.
The fragrance radiates in my eyes a much too great elegance "at second glance", which only a suit appreciates.
I wish I could wear it very much, but it wouldn't fit.
Antaeus, like his eponym, has perhaps become a myth.

Thank you very much for reading!
Wicked Game
Antaeus Twice I call him Vintage my own... Legendary, respected and sublime.

The scent reminds me of my favourite song Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Strong in character, melancholic and yet as self-confident and sexy as only a true gentleman can be. The feminine, slightly wicked note harmonizes perfectly with its strongly spicy male aura.

When I think about it, I am in bed with a beautiful woman in my arm and enjoy this moment as if it would never end. True love and affection together with hate are probably the only things that never fade away... As well as my admiration for this fragrance.

It strikes, perhaps a little unusually strong and extreme for modern tastes. It always rattles the same rail, but that makes it so perfect. He delivers shower gel until the second layer and rinse again.

A true showman, one of the last of his kind. One of the best of its kind.

He is erotic, calming and self-confident, but still so strong, scary and somehow very conspicuous.

My bottle of Kouros has a worthy neighbour with it.

JFP26JFP26 1 month ago
Like Kouros follows a manly path but smoother and versatile. Opens challenging and dries to a spicy soapy animalic scent. For me it's great!
StaticStatic 3 months ago
This is a gentleman’s scent. You never go wrong with this one.
Masculin at the top!!
LasagneLasagne 6 months ago
Wearing last few drops of the vintage version. Man, this is a legendary perfume of the true masculinity and allure. True class.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 11 months ago
Antaeus is, indubitably, a powerhouse of the 80s. The opening is a strong fresh and animalistic scent. After a while, it becomes more gentle
ElysiumElysium 1 year ago
Leathery and animalic accord evokes and recalls the cult perfumes of the 20th century that exuded masculinity and more robust characters.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
An old school animalic well blended elixir. It's complex but it's a joy to wear. It transmits confidence. Probably the best Chanel for me.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A timesless aromatic masterpiece for the modern gentleman. Strong but never eavy, it's perfect by day in the mid-cold season.i love it
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I smell so freaking good.
XanthonXanthon 3 years ago
In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping. (borrowed frm Alex1984)
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
Disgusting fragrance! It's not because it's too animalic, it's the blend of all of those ingredients: absolute mess!

Mein König: Antaeus
by EauSavage
Das wichtigste Werkzeug eines Mannes ...
by JulieFä91
by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont
Chanel Antaeus EdT Originalflacon 1986, gefüllt mit Erinnerungen
by Portominga
So lassen sich Hobbies kombinieren ;)
by SlyFox1985
by Gumschel
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel