Antaeus 1981 Eau de Toilette

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot CorianderCoriander LimeLime Clary sageClary sage MyrrhMyrrh LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasilBasil JasmineJasmine RoseRose ThymeThyme
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreumCastoreum OakmossOakmoss LabdanumLabdanum PatchouliPatchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.05.2022.

In Greek mythology, Antaeus was an almost invincible half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia.

Snikers
One of the most butchered classics
Don't get me wrong. I still do like Antaeus in its current form. I think it oozes masculinity and a person that is brave enough to wear it, will for sure radiate with self-confidence, because it takes an alpha to wear this classic without fear of being judged. Why judged? Because it is outdated and that says a guy that loves the classics despite being 32 years old. I wear them very often, much more often the the current boring ambroxan stuff. I simply don't care what others will think of me because I wear fragrances mainly for myself. Sure, I like to get compliments but that is less important. Current Antaeus is aromatic, herbal, floral and slightly leathery, but the abundance of the ingredients cause that it is difficult to distinguish notes, especially when smelled from a distance. This screams - its a mans cologne but without giving a hint, what's in there.

Let's now jump back to the early 80s when it came out. I managed to get a decant of the 82' batch and man, that is a very different fragrance. First of all - oakmoss. Man, the current version uses some artificial substitute, because it is bearly noticeable, while the original version was all about it. Strong, aromatic, slightly earthy oakmoss is very easy to notice. Then there's the rose and patchouli, blended together very well. Surprisingly the original smells less outdated than the current version. This is of course my subjective opinion. But my girlfriend confirms and she likes it way more than the current version.

Is it worth to buy a super expensive 80s bottle? Nope, because up until around year 2002 it smelled nearly the same. I got a bottle from late 90s and it's perfect.

So look for newer bottles and you will get the same scent. Good ol' IFRA destroyed this fragrance. Yes, destroyed, because imho this is the most ruined classics.

The only thing is wrong with both versions is the longevity in my case. It doesn't last but at least the old one has a very good longevity.

The son of mother Earth
'Gigantes' (Giants) were huge monsters and sons of Gaea, the Goddess who symbolises the Earth in Greek mythology. Antaeus was a Giant who roamed Libya, a son of Gaea and Poseidon, the Greek god of the sea, earthquakes, storms and horses. His name is derived from the Greek word 'antaios' and means 'opponent' or 'hostile'. Antaeus was perhaps the most famous of the Giants for his cruelty. His reason for living was to force travellers crossing his land, to compete with him in a wrestling fight. By sheer brute force, he subdued all his opponents, killing them at the end of the combat. He then used their skulls to build the roof of a temple in honour of his father. He drew his strength from his mother, the Earth. He was always invincible as long as he stood with both feet on the ground, in permanent contact with his mother. Antaeus' good fortune ended when he crossed paths with a hero and demigod called Hercules. The latter was the son of Zeus and the mortal Alcmena. Libya appeared in his route when he intended to complete the eleventh of his famous labours. On this occasion, he intended to steal the golden apples from the Garden of the Hesperides, the land of the nymphs in the Atlas Mountains. Hercules perceived the origin of Antaeus' might and, during the fight, he held him in a powerful embrace so that the Giant could not touch the ground. When Antaeus' strength drained away, the hero crushed his ribs mercilessly and killed him.

The scent of Antaeus has a strong earthy undertone. Most likely, this perfume also gets its strength from Gaea. It is a genuine 80s masculine Chypre, an elegant 'powerhouse' that will satisfy your desires for a deep, dark green, earthy and animalistic scent.
It is easy to relate it to two other gems from the recent past. 'Pour Lui de Oscar de la Renta' is slightly sweeter and seems to be a lighter and less animalistic perfume, proposing leather instead of castoreum. 'Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent' could well be its alter ego. But where Kouros is a more feline animalistic fragrance, provocative, and rough as a half-naked heavyweight, Antaeus attacks us with the same animalistic intensity but dressed in a beautiful dark green cashmere blazer and a Chanel scarf around the neck.
The fragrance opens with a rather restrained freshness. Different citrus fruits are manicured by myrrh, sage and coriander. In the heart, we find a prominent rose and Chanel's traditional jasmine, but also these flowers are subdued by thyme and basil. At the base, the fragrance explodes with earthy notes of patchouli and oakmoss, plus a leathery and animalistic aroma that is intense and deep, no doubt due to the castoreum note.
I'm reviewing a perfume bought in 2015, which means it's neither the vintage edition nor the latest revamp. Three sprays may last up to 8 hours. The sillage radius is close to a metre and a half, and up to 2.5 hours of projection with 3 sprays; performance is said to be much better in older batches.

Can we evaluate the scent of mother Earth?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 8.5 (Some restrained freshness amidst fougéres, greens and myrrh.)
- DryDown: 9.5 (Gorgeous dark blending of castoreum, patchouli, oakmoss and balms. It's extremely pleasant!)
- Longevity: 8.5 (3 sprays last up to 8 hours in this 6-year-old edition)
- Sillage: 7.5 (5 feet of sillage and up to 2.5 hours of projection, with 3 sprays.)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (It's unique, especially if you bear in mind that it was created in 1981. It's not alike, but it presents the same trend of Pour Lui Eau de Toilette and Kouros Eau de Toilette. It is also more elegant than both of them.)
- Wearability: 8.0 (Not suitable for hot weather; fantastic for Autumn.)
- Versatility: 6.5 (It smells heavenly for me, but like a dark forest with a beaver dam to some people; you need to choose well the occasions to wear it.)
- Praise: 7.5 (It will reward you with some passionate compliments, and admiration from old-school lovers.)
- Quality: 9.5 (The perfumer execution is superb if you ignore the trivial performance of this batch; newer batches seem to be even lighter)
- Presentation: 9.0 (Simple but very attractive)
- Price: 8.0 (I bought this 100ml bottle for USD 75 a few years ago; it currently sells for about USD 90; As I love this fragrance so much, I still find it quite affordable and way more valuable for me than other more expensive perfumes)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.36 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- above 9 = definitely not to be missed;

My opinion:
This is a perfume that I consider truly unique for those who are looking for an earthy, leathery, animalistic and dark old school Chypre. As the current version is easily found in perfumeries, you'd better try it before purchasing it.

Music: Johnny Cash - "Ghost Riders In The Sky"

ScentSlave
I’ve never had the original…
… but I know I recognize this scent.

To my nose, it’s not as “masculine” as it’s hyped up to be. I can honestly see a woman wearing this. A woman holding a powerful position; a CEO, or the dean of a respected university, that everyone fears. She is that very tall woman, wearing a dark, maroon colored, tailored tuxedo style jacket (with shoulder pads) over a black dress with dark stockings and heels. The “alpha woman” if you will.

I get a waxy, dark, almost lipstick/makeup feel from it in the opening. Again, I’ve never got to “analyze” the original, so I don’t know what “animalic” scents smell like, but this doesn’t feel “dirty” at all.

I REALLY have to get up close and take a huge sniff to get a “fecal” or “urinous” feeling note… and I’d REALLY have to be digging to find it.

Performance wise, and maybe because it’s a 2021 batch, it’s not as “beastly” as some have exclaimed. Maybe a 3ft bubble, with a sillage trail that does indeed linger for a bit, but not with that thick, “I know you were here” feel. Longevity isn’t very impressive for me on Chanel scents, and that didn’t change here, maybe 4-6 hours on my skin.

I got it because I’m curious about what “animalic” scents are all about. I have Kouros coming in the mail tomorrow, and “Juste Filthy” arriving on Monday to get an idea.

Antaeus is a good scent, I don’t regret buying it; it smells better than some of the other post-reformulation 80’s scents do these days… just not as “manly” as I thought it would be.

The myth
Antaeus current formula - 2021

A fascinating fragrance. Rough and unpolished, yet not totally savage. Herbal at first with myrrh and coriander very present. The coriander and a faint floral (rose?) nuance give it just that bit of cleanliness to the overall ‘skank’.

With a base of mainly patchouli and oakmoss, the scent hints towards leather. Raw leather, I guess, but not so much a bear pelt or beaver sack. Where "Kouros" is a savage wolf, Antaeus is more of a fox. Clever and more graceful in its appearance. So much for the animalic aspects.

There's a 'classic vibe' all along, eighties obviously, although projection levels are set to what is nowadays socially acceptable - except maybe in the office or other confined spaces. Also, there is no vanilla, tonka or balsam sweetness to this. To me, all of these qualities are big plusses.

All in all, a scent that truely takes you back to the eighties and feel like that mythical Greek giant for a moment. There are cheaper alternatives with more or less the same effect, but Antaeus has the Chanel label and quality.

Crushed To Death In A Bear Hug
Antaeus challenged all passers-by to wrestling matches and remained invincible as long as he remained in contact with his mother, the earth. Like its modern equivalent, Greek wrestling typically attempted to force opponents to the ground, which he always won, killing his opponents himself. He built a temple for his father using their skulls. Antaeus fought Heracles on his way to the Garden of the Hesperides as his eleventh work. Heracles realized he could not beat Antaeus by throwing or blocking him. Instead, he held him up and then crushed him to death in a bear hug.

Antaeus was one of the most beautiful masterpieces of the eighties, and it is among the best animal perfumes that have been put on the market. The vintage version included the animal-based castoreum, which has now been replaced by a synthetic one. I'm afraid such a reformulation has crushed it to the ground to death as the mythological character it is named after. Castoreum was widely used in perfumery. Its very pungent and robust animal note makes it an interesting object in men's perfume, fougères, chypres, oriental-based leather notes. The warm and sweet atmosphere, the proximity to human sweat, and the castoreum's leathery animal note help the chords achieve sensuality. Miserably, I miss that atmosphere, that deep sensuality, and I struggled to recognize Antaeus when I smelled and bought the current version anyway. My olfactory memory had stored a unique perfume, more masculine, powerful, complex, more challenging, warmer, darker, enveloping, opulent than what it is today, in short, an invincible Antaeus who today has lost his immortality. As such, I fear young people will never know how fabulous the vintage perfumes of that period were, such as Antaeus, Shalimar, and Opium.

The composition of the Antaeus perfume is a woody powder. The contemporary Antaeus starts a little more tart with the scents of aldehydes and hesperides. The citrus accord is a blast, lemon and lime are quite tart, and the slightly astringent coriander leaves reinforce the acidity. The explosion doesn't stop there—the dark green of the clary sage and the resinousness of the myrrh complete that vibrant aroma. Although not mentioned, I get a deep waxiness as if pine needles were present, therefore pungent and balmy. Furthermore, even during this initially cool moment, the animal base is distinguishable.

As the aldehyde and musky tones wear off, I feel a slight leathery edge that blends with a beautiful aromatic and floral accord. The fragrance's heart is slightly herbaceous, spicy, rosy, which continues to be infused with the ever-increasing base notes. On the one hand, there are the fragrant green leaves of thyme and basil, on the other hand, there are the delicate flowers of rose and jasmine. The aromatic and floral notes confer delicacy and softness against the rough base notes, with hints of herbs and woods. Sage, thyme, and coriander create a glassy appearance, with the initial rawness further dampened by the misuse of rose and jasmine. Once the sparkling opening has faded on the skin, the beeswax and patchouli create a golden, shiny sweetness. As this evolves, the rose becomes prevalent, but never at levels of oriental Middle Eastern perfumes, recalling other feminine works by Chanel, now more than then.

The base of Anteo is warm and smells of soft, blunt, almost powdery woods and musk. There are leathery labdanum and a hint of patchouli, which has a distinctive earthy, green scent to which oak moss lends density and texture. In particular, the faint sweet smell of jasmine fused with the waxiness of labdanum creates a mellifluous vibe that many souls get from this scent, very close to the smell of acacia honey. Labdanum and myrrh also become prominent, giving a resinous and almost mouldy accord. Yet the vintage animalic castoreum isn't there, miserably, and that's the part I miss the most.
There are oriental and fougère shades in this chypre, the former from patchouli, sandalwood, and labdanum, the latter from a bouquet of herbs and flowers, oakmoss, and a hint of citrus. Along with the chypre labelling, both sides are all identifiable in distinct phases of this fragrance's progression. The last stage of the evolution of this perfume is leathery and powdery, but at the same time sweet, but still too enthusiastic.

Contemporary Antaeus is smooth and relatively linear; it has minimal sillage and decent lasting power, making it wearable even during the day in a work environment. Although it has been reformulated several times, it still maintains its character, once wilder and with more marked phases, now tamer, mellowed, with a less exaggerated evolution. He has lost that purely masculine side and today a female audience can wear it too. However, it remains a nice hit of perfume, for the coldest months, elegant and nocturnal. It has a slightly dirty, animal-like, musky smell with a hint of sweetness. There are some woody and herbaceous notes in Antaeus to still give it a masculine aromatic edge, but what by far dominates the base blend of semi-sweet labdanum and oakmoss. Yes, I like this modern Antaeus, with a hint of melancholy.

This review bases upon a 100ml bottle I own since February 2021.

-Elysium
Come to Daddy
Who is looking for a real classic, comes in my eyes not to this fragrance of Chanel past. This perfume is bursting with animal power and masculinity. Certainly, this fragrance does not make a little boy a grown man. It has to fit the wearer. Antaeus has that "old school" vibe I was looking for and love so much. It has something fresh, it has something earthy-woody but most of all it has the animalic-wild component that I like in fragrances like Aramis. I also admit that the base note with castoreum has triggered me to buy this scent.

My curiosity was rewarded for me anyway!

It's not a fragrance for soft-spoken wimps, as harsh as that sounds but here the combo of wearer and perfume has to fit. He will not shower you with compliments and you will scare people with it but so it must be, with such a fragrance with rough edges.

With time, he lets a little and becomes more velvety and those who are then still at your side are your true friends... or just smell blind ;) Joking aside, a how I find excellent fragrance for a good price.
Unsuess
In the current reformulation a fragrance that can be worn without any problems
Antaeus is often described as an animalic scent, and I once had an Antaeus dupe that actually fit that description. In this respect, I assume that the original version of Antaeus actually smelled quite animalic. In the current reformulation, on the other hand, Antaeus is a very balanced and easily wearable fragrance. Certainly very masculine and not for milquetoast boys, but also far from dirty. Rather respect-inspiring. In the office, I personally wear it rather rarely, because I do not want to be perceived as respect-inspiring there. But if you want to look respect-inspiring at work, you can certainly wear it there. For me personally rather elegant occasions, to which I dress up. In this context, I wear him but very happy.

It's Greek Alright
Prior to receiving this bottle, I was somewhat worried about it's "animal" qualities. However, upon first spray, I knew this greek named perfume is not vulger at all. Of all leather fragrances I've tried, this one is special. I get myrrh, a lot of it. A resinous fresh oakmoss peaking through. When heat comes, a strong basil comes out.

But what's truly intimate about it, is that when I breathe next to the sprayed area and sniff it, I get a PICTURE PERFECT HONEY.

I get it now. A tough, strong greek hero. But vulnerable at the same time. When love comes next to Antaeus, he is sweet as honey.
not mine, damn it...
parallel test to habit rouge, but it wasn't a great night...

explosive top note, very soon a feeling of spicy and soapy "gentlemanly scent"...

too banal and sweaty virile for me, puha!

then something becomes more tender and develops on my skin something to the better, against spicy-virile can be said as a man not much. or maybe nevertheless?!

in the end, derdiedas current antaeus remains spicy, soapy, sweetish and soft, but i can't say that this is a great development.

enormous durability: in the morning still clearly present with this spicy and soapy, but not pleasant for me.

i don't find this mythological giant of chanel particularly sophisticated - what a pity
Chizza
Animalistic beginning, then it becomes gentle
I start the evaluation with an anecdote: my 2 year old daughter - when she gets up before I go to work - usually accompanies me to the bathroom when I apply perfume. Usually she then says "Papa you smell super good" with woody, spicy, scents, she actually likes leather or similar. It wasn't like that here. She flinched irritated the first time and I could see that she didn't know what it was all about.

And therefore I can understand negative reactions, because in the first moment something explodes. For me Antaeus starts wildly, animalistically and then becomes more and more gentle. Often one thinks the scent is already gone, only to perceive it again moments later. Nothing for every day, I have other favorites. But we have here a fragrance with a statement, none that is interchangeable. That pleases me

TheBloffTheBloff 2 days ago
Extremely masculine 80's nightclub sweat in a bottle.
KokganKokgan 4 months ago
My favorite perfume. Absolutely beautiful and masculine scent. 10 out of 10
MatuxMatux 9 months ago
A victim of reformulation, maybe enjoyable if not having tried the original and provided time related connotations are ignored.
MeetjoeblackMeetjoeblack 9 months ago
1.5
I really wanted to like Antaeus because of its legend, but I don't think the heavy castoreum works in 2021. Smells like nasty gym sweat.
JFP26JFP26 11 months ago
Like Kouros follows a manly path but smoother and versatile. Opens challenging and dries to a spicy soapy animalic scent. For me it's great!
StaticStatic 1 year ago
This is a gentleman’s scent. You never go wrong with this one.
Masculin at the top!!
LasagneLasagne 1 year ago
Wearing last few drops of the vintage version. Man, this is a legendary perfume of the true masculinity and allure. True class.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 2 years ago
Antaeus is, indubitably, a powerhouse of the 80s. The opening is a strong fresh and animalic scent. After a while, it becomes more gentle
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Leathery and animalic accord evokes and recalls the cult perfumes of the 20th century that exuded masculinity and more robust characters.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
An animalic old school but well blended Chypre. It's complex and a joy to wear. It transmits confidence. Probably the best Chanel for me.

Mein König: Antaeus
by EauSavage
by Gaukeleya
by Gaukeleya
Das wichtigste Werkzeug eines Mannes ...
by JulieFä91
by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont
Chanel Antaeus EdT Originalflacon 1986, gefüllt mit Erinnerungen
by Portominga
So lassen sich Hobbies kombinieren ;)
by SlyFox1985
by EvaK
by Inse
by Inse

Popular by Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel