Antaeus 1981Eau de Toilette

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 88 in Men's Perfume
Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lime, Clary sage, Myrrh, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Jasmine, Rose, Thyme
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreum, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 12.01.2021.

In Greek mythology, Antaeus was an almost invincible half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia.

Come to Daddy
Who is looking for a real classic, comes in my eyes not to this fragrance of Chanel past. This perfume is bursting with animal power and masculinity. Certainly, this fragrance does not make a little boy a grown man. It has to fit the wearer. Antaeus has that "old school" vibe I was looking for and love so much. It has something fresh, it has something earthy-woody but most of all it has the animalic-wild component that I like in fragrances like Aramis. I also admit that the base note with castoreum has triggered me to buy this scent.

My curiosity was rewarded for me anyway!

It's not a fragrance for soft-spoken wimps, as harsh as that sounds but here the combo of wearer and perfume has to fit. He will not shower you with compliments and you will scare people with it but so it must be, with such a fragrance with rough edges.

With time, he lets a little and becomes more velvety and those who are then still at your side are your true friends... or just smell blind ;) Joking aside, a how I find excellent fragrance for a good price.
Unsuess
In the current reformulation a fragrance that can be worn without any problems
Antaeus is often described as an animalic scent, and I once had an Antaeus dupe that actually fit that description. In this respect, I assume that the original version of Antaeus actually smelled quite animalic. In the current reformulation, on the other hand, Antaeus is a very balanced and easily wearable fragrance. Certainly very masculine and not for milquetoast boys, but also far from dirty. Rather respect-inspiring. In the office, I personally wear it rather rarely, because I do not want to be perceived as respect-inspiring there. But if you want to look respect-inspiring at work, you can certainly wear it there. For me personally rather elegant occasions, to which I dress up. In this context, I wear him but very happy.

It's Greek Alright
Prior to receiving this bottle, I was somewhat worried about it's "animal" qualities. However, upon first spray, I knew this greek named perfume is not vulger at all. Of all leather fragrances I've tried, this one is special. I get myrrh, a lot of it. A resinous fresh oakmoss peaking through. When heat comes, a strong basil comes out.

But what's truly intimate about it, is that when I breathe next to the sprayed area and sniff it, I get a PICTURE PERFECT HONEY.

I get it now. A tough, strong greek hero. But vulnerable at the same time. When love comes next to Antaeus, he is sweet as honey.
not mine, damn it...
parallel test to habit rouge, but it wasn't a great night...

explosive top note, very soon a feeling of spicy and soapy "gentlemanly scent"...

too banal and sweaty virile for me, puha!

then something becomes more tender and develops on my skin something to the better, against spicy-virile can be said as a man not much. or maybe nevertheless?!

in the end, derdiedas current antaeus remains spicy, soapy, sweetish and soft, but i can't say that this is a great development.

enormous durability: in the morning still clearly present with this spicy and soapy, but not pleasant for me.

i don't find this mythological giant of chanel particularly sophisticated - what a pity

Powerhouse of the 80s
He challenged the travelers who came to his country to a duel, killed them and from their skulls build a castle for his father Poseidon. Antaeus received inexhaustible strength from his mother Gaja, with whom he was in constant contact, while he was vulnerable in the air, like other people. Hercules realized that Anthaeus power lay in connection with the earth, so he lifted him off the ground and drowned him in the air.

Powerhouse of the 80s ....
The name suits him perfectly, a magical devilish scent is captured in this dark bottle, which simply exudes naturally evil energy...
I'm sure that just a few people will dare to wear it, or even fewer people who really enjoy this scent ....

It is "pretty Heavy" and is definitely not for everyone...

Just a touch of animal vibe from the very beginning, then the castoreum can be noticed, that part that is the most beautiful to me, when the smell it is very similar to dirty side of YSL Kouros... unfortunately that Kastoreum vibe is very short-lived od my skin.
On my skin, the earty powdery rose is definitely the most dominant note. followed by nutmeg, sage, patchouli and oak moss.
It gives me the impression of a dark, elegant, ultra masculine smelly energy, and its perfect choice for some "special" occasions ...
Absolutely not for the audience with "gentle hearts" and for the audience over 25 ++ ..?

When I describe a perfume, I don't like to use the adjective "beast", but this time I have to....
I don't know how the vintage versions smelled, but this "new" version is so potent, the performance is extraordinary, I think more than this would be really pointless, the only thing I can assume is that the animal accord maybe present in Vintage a little more than the current versoin.
Of course, I would like to test it ....

Another classic example of an ultra masculin quality perfume from the past times(most beautiful 80s)... i dont want replay myself by 1000x about the sad fate of Chanel, Ysl, Dior ... etc ... the Reputation of the "designer fragrance's" is maintained thanks to these some old designers, ("Kouros", "Antaeus", "Zino" "Egoiste".......)
The main question is: how much more reformulation they will be able to withstand?
Soon it will definitely be goodbye to Chanel, Dior, Ysl......
Chizza
Animalistic beginning, then it becomes gentle
I start the evaluation with an anecdote: my 2 year old daughter - when she gets up before I go to work - usually accompanies me to the bathroom when I apply perfume. Usually she then says "Papa you smell super good" with woody, spicy, scents, she actually likes leather or similar. It wasn't like that here. She flinched irritated the first time and I could see that she didn't know what it was all about.

And therefore I can understand negative reactions, because in the first moment something explodes. For me Antaeus starts wildly, animalistically and then becomes more and more gentle. Often one thinks the scent is already gone, only to perceive it again moments later. Nothing for every day, I have other favorites. But we have here a fragrance with a statement, none that is interchangeable. That pleases me

The Imprint of a Gentleman
The truth is that I don't know what the original smelled like, nor do I care: It probably couldn't be worn now in public without being declared an olfactory terrorist (times change and society, in general - and fortunately - stinks much less than before, so "beast" projection doesn't proceed anymore).

What I know is the current formulation, and I have to say that it's a true masterpiece.

This fragrance stands out for its class and elegance, as well as its undeniable artistic character.

- To achieve this, what it does is combine that exquisite sophistication with a high manly contrast, something primal and instinctive; That's the artistic legacy that has traveled through time since the original formula.

The result is this legendary creation of Chanel, a benchmark of Jacques Polge's genius (and Demachy) at a time when maximum expressiveness was expected in fragrances.

More Info:

- Easily +10h. Longevity.
- Great projection & Heavy Sillage.
- Mood: For a classy and confident gentleman.
- Scenario & Occasions: Autumn and winter nights, dressed-up. Perfect for formal events and special occasions, especially at night.

So to conclude, remember this idea: Antaeus is the male reincarnation of "Chanel No. 5".
Antaius
Since I have been reading Parfumo for quite some time now and have now decided to register, I would like to dedicate my first comment to what in my opinion is an extraordinary fragrance.

Antaios - giant - mythology - invincible power.
Some of the first words that may be associated with the perfume. And indeed, in my opinion, this line is also consistently implemented in the perfume. Here we already have the rough, robust, basically not graceful or beautiful looking bottle on the outside - an expression of strength. On the other hand, a fragrance that doesn't seem to fit into the current world at all - almost like a myth
To be honest, when I spray Antaeus on, I don't hear any easily separable notes. This may be due to my untrained nose, but perhaps also partly to the fact that they interweave very harmoniously with each other. I can roughly imagine in the scent what Castoreum should smell like. In any case, I always consider the fragrance to be very artistically constructed.

For a long time I wondered what character this fragrance would suit, who I would like to smell it to. And in my thoughts there was always only one fictitious person/scene:
A handsome, tall, very athletic boss, perfectly dressed in a suit and carefully shaved, enters a conference room where his employees are already waiting and talking to each other. He is no one who has to distinguish himself from others, no one who only swings big words, no one who seems bossy. But a respectful person through his performance, deeds and his polite, understanding manner. Alone by the appearance the space falls silent. And just as the employees are respectfully silenced, all other fragrances in Antaeus' presence are also silent. He is simply superior to them and knows all the masculine scents of recent years in their bounds. It may not smell better than them, but it is more expressive, safer, more powerful.

I think such people are very rare these days, unfortunately. But I can't really imagine this enormous scent on anyone else, contrary to the often held opinion in the statements. On no biker with a leather jacket and an unkempt beard who makes a big deal out of "thick pants" or other machos.
The fragrance radiates in my eyes a much too great elegance "at second glance", which only a suit appreciates.
I wish I could wear it very much, but it wouldn't fit.
Antaeus, like his eponym, has perhaps become a myth.

Thank you very much for reading!
Wicked Game
Antaeus Twice I call him Vintage my own... Legendary, respected and sublime.

The scent reminds me of my favourite song Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Strong in character, melancholic and yet as self-confident and sexy as only a true gentleman can be. The feminine, slightly wicked note harmonizes perfectly with its strongly spicy male aura.

When I think about it, I am in bed with a beautiful woman in my arm and enjoy this moment as if it would never end. True love and affection together with hate are probably the only things that never fade away... As well as my admiration for this fragrance.

It strikes, perhaps a little unusually strong and extreme for modern tastes. It always rattles the same rail, but that makes it so perfect. He delivers shower gel until the second layer and rinse again.

A true showman, one of the last of his kind. One of the best of its kind.

He is erotic, calming and self-confident, but still so strong, scary and somehow very conspicuous.

My bottle of Kouros has a worthy neighbour with it.
Arm length Distance
Since I know Antaeus, I don't need a seat reservation in the ICE Hamburg/Munich anymore. But don't overdo it with the dosage, otherwise you'll have the whole compartment to yourself.
And one more thing, guys, don't think you're men with that smell, you're not.
The only person who could wear this scent would be Leonidas in the movie 300, when he throws the spear into his face in the fight against the Persians Xerxes

BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
Antaeus is, indubitably, a powerhouse of the 80s. The opening is a strong fresh and animalistic scent. After a while, it becomes more gentle
ElysiumElysium 9 months ago
Leathery and animalic accord evokes and recalls the cult perfumes of the 20th century that exuded masculinity and more robust characters.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 12 months ago
An old school animalic well blended elixir. It's complex but it's a joy to wear. It transmits confidence. Probably the best Chanel for me.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 1 year ago
A timesless aromatic masterpiece for the modern gentleman. Strong but never eavy, it's perfect by day in the mid-cold season.i love it
TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
I smell so freaking good.
XanthonXanthon 2 years ago
In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping. (borrowed frm Alex1984)
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
Disgusting fragrance! It's not because it's too animalic, it's the blend of all of those ingredients: absolute mess!
Olfactory60Olfactory60 3 years ago
I read the review by Apicus, and it got me wondering if Antaeus is the bitter grey forbear of Lalique's Encre Noir....

Mein König: Antaeus
by EauSavage
Das wichtigste Werkzeug eines Mannes ...
by JulieFä91
by Zora
by Zora
by Gaukeleya
by Gaukeleya
by Pistazieneis
Antaeus - der Riese aus der griechischen Mythologie. Man sagt, er sei über 28 m groß gewesen....
by DemonHead
by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont
Chanel Antaeus EdT Originalflacon 1986, gefüllt mit Erinnerungen
by Portominga
So lassen sich Hobbies kombinieren ;)
by SlyFox1985
by EvaK
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel