Antaeus (1981) Eau de Toilette

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design: Jacques Helleu
Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lime, Clary sage, Myrrh, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Jasmine, Rose, Thyme
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreum, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.05.2019

In Greek mythology, Antaeus was an almost invincible half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia.

9.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

ScentPhantom
The little black one for the man
This fragrance has been described and evaluated here often enough.

Some like him, others prefer to avoid him.

I will spare my old friend another description.

This fragrance was already one of my favourites when it appeared. Something extraordinary, mysterious surrounded him. However, I felt too young to wear it. But even then there was always a bottle in the cupboard. We have remained good friends over the years, he has kept his place.

My conclusion from our time together so far: Anteus does not make a man, Anteus needs a man.
6.0 8.0 9.0 4.0/10

Arm length Distance
Since I know Antaeus, I don't need a seat reservation in the ICE Hamburg/Munich anymore. But don't overdo it with the dosage, otherwise you'll have the whole compartment to yourself.
And one more thing, guys, don't think you're men with that smell, you're not.
The only person who could wear this scent would be Leonidas in the movie 300, when he throws the spear into his face in the fight against the Persians Xerxes
6.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

MajorTom
Deja-vu of the super class
Yesterday I was in my favorite perfumery again. And while I was sniffing various scents on various small text cloths, my gaze was on a red Chanel pack. Antaeus. My fragrance in the late '80s. It's still there.

So you asked for a test sprayer. Close your eyes. Open your nose. Once moved in and immediately came back at the end of the 80s. Fruit of the Loom T- and sweatshirts. Spencer with shoulder pads. White loafers. White socks too. Leather ties. Pilot shirts with epaulettes. Ladies in carrot jeans. Ending above the ankle. White high heels. Miami Vice style clothes. Hammer music. And Antaeus.

Head cinema off, eyes up and back in the third millennium.

It's hard for me to describe the fragrance in detail, which definitely speaks for it, because it shows how extravagant it still is today. And at the latest the statement of my consultant "yes, he still exists, but to be honest, we often don't sell him" was reason enough for me to strike immediately. Because everything off mainstream is interesting and makes. And I'm a little afraid of the day when not enough is sold to have it on the shelf.

Some of the previous speakers complained that Antaeus had been castrated and robbed of its former class by various reformulations. In fact, even if it was 30 years ago, I too have the impression that he was banging more back then. But don't let it fool you - this thing still has a real bang today. That's right, I did. Really, I do. And even today the composition of fruits and spices is simply unique. Bibergeil gives the thing at the end this typical, unmistakable and uncanny masculine note.

Durability and sillage I feel weaker than in the original form, but this can be easily increased to the 80 level by one or two sprayers and thus individually designed according to the occasion and need.
Flacon: at that time a statement, today rather in the shadow of various nice developments in this area.

And the scent itself is just awesome. Nothing for (and I mean that now please completely worthless) warm wimps, motorhome drivers, couch potatoes, ladies cyclists or short sleeve shirt wearers. But what about real guys, machos, ultramasculines, truck brakes.

Just awesome.

I'm glad you're still here today
10.0 8.0 10.0 10.0/10

Creature of the night
Antaeus it seems, never really took of for Chanel. While it could have been for the maison what Coco became, Antaeus was a hit of the moment, spawning a short lived Antaeus Sport flanker, and then took refugee in the back. Few use Antaeus, even today, and even though Chanel has kept it for its followers, it hasn’t bothered to promote it; the vintage enjoys cult status, while the current, stripped by laws and cost cutting could have benefited from a newer flanker if only for the spotlight to shine on the original.

Review based on a 200ml splash from 1982.

Antaeus is one of the few perfumes that always brings two specific movies to my mind every time I use it; Cruising with Al Pacino, discovering his wild side in the meatpacking district leather clubs. Given the fact that Antaeus was rumored to be a huge success with the gay collective circa 1980’s, I wonder if this association isn’t that far fetched.
But Antaeus is so much more than that. Less popular, less in-your-face than the popular brute Kouros, launched the same year, Antaeus always maintained a more suave appearance, a distance, just like Richard Gere in American Gigolo; is he really a killer in disguise, or has he always had the instinct all along?
Herbal, dry chypre, rich in woods, leather and castoreum, with a beautiful beeswax note that got lost through the years. A deep rose, N°5 in a way that links it to the house and the grand dame.
This is what the vintage smells like. Antaeus opens with herbal accents of myrtle, sage, coriander, basil... Polge’s intention was of a classical composition. But it’s 1981 and whether you like it or not, the market and tastes dictate power and strength. So Polge played with the oakmoss and the leather and the castoreum with maybe just a smidgen of civet to give the base all the power and longevity that men and women demanded, and gave the heart a more somber treatment. The rose and jasmine that glow in the background smell distinctly Chanel; there is a brief link to N°5 in this beautiful floral vein that runs among the more classic herbal/chypre feel, and the more contemporary animalic growl. The leather, abundantly rich creates the signature of Antaeus. And it’s the deep tanned leather, Cuir de Russie meets Peau d’Espagne. Classic gentleman meets his dark side. Was it there all along?

Antaeus is always a pleasure to use, and a challenge to the senses. While it is unequivocally Chanel, the treatment of the notes is the work of genius. Polge created something that was in the realm of classic and respected but he also played his brutal animalic side, playing with shadows and contrasts to create something bigger than the sum. Class, elegance, sexuality, debauchery. Was Antaeus a killer all along?
The longevity is outstanding, pulsating from the skin like a heartbeat in the heat of the night, while the sillage is mellow and discreet. In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping.
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

The storm
When I'm alone with myself, they come a lot. Thoughts of the old days. As it was in my youth. The arduous path from youth to man. Beautiful moments and memories. But also sad events. Like rags, they flee into my head. Torn memories from an already lived life. My life! Fragrances that I once wore and loved help me to reassemble these shreds of memory into one picture. Just like Antaeus does when I hang him up. Chanel's black storm flows through me like a flow of feelings and emotions as hard to describe as the fragrance itself. There are as many scents as shreds of thoughts flying around. Bitter tears like coriander and sage, promises whispered in green-soft basil, stabbing thyme and resinous-strong myrrh that held friends together like brothers. If I wear Antaeus, they'll come, all of them. Whether man or event. Antaeus blows them back to me. The smell of oakmoss and beaver horny and the moments of human hours of togetherness. Grounded promises of patchouli and oaths of love on the Roxy Music record cover written balsamic-soft like the scent of Labdanum. Antaeus was always with me like Kouros and Verace L'Homme. The gods have always been kind to me. Often more luck than intellect on the long way to man. It wasn't always nice, but Antaeus stayed. Even when friends died he mourned with me and gave me strength and support because even men can be vulnerable and weak in their lives. And I have been many times! But the black storm was there for me in such moments, as in so many others. Nothing he let come and nothing he let out when one lingered in the eye of the storm. If I wear Antaeus today after all these years it will be quiet again around me and my innermost self, because he will then rebuild himself, the black storm of Chanel. Mighty, wild and passionate! Antaeus brings me back to the time that shaped my life out of joy, suffering and loss. Much has changed in my life, Antaeus has also changed. But only for those who knew him when he was created by Chanel. He is still a God and he still has the power to rule over passion and sublimity. And he has the power to make me fly through time in the center of his eye!

Gods live forever... Antaeus will!
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Benlives
Highly grown however no giant - nevertheless an exception smell!
Unfortunately I miss (again) the comparison possibilities to the original version. I find that particularly unfortunate here, because on the one hand I think definitely that the current version is a quite large exception smell, on the other hand I read here already much and in the direct comparison the original formulation comes away usually clearly better.
Such a fine and well-balanced mixture as in Antaeus is rare. A difficult to describe mix of herbal-soapy, balsamic, mossy and animal essences, which is extremely successful. Masculine, mysterious, timeless. Similarly well balanced as the original Davidoff or Vermeil pour Homme, but more serious and gloomy in its olfactory appearance. No doubt, it's a men's fragrance. Not for pussies, not for boys. Nevertheless: For such a meaningful name he lacks the last determination in terms of durability and sillage. Even there he must be "giant", no matter how great the olfactory impression is. I simply expect that with such a fragrance milestone (and corresponding price). He lingers on my skin for about eight hours. A Van Cleef PH in its current version, which only costs a fraction, beats it here, for example, and goes in a not dissimilar direction in terms of fragrance technology. That's just too bad. All the more since it was apparently much more powerful in the original version. So he stays tall and looks down on most perfumes, but unfortunately it is not enough to see the giant (anymore)...
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Pitufolina
I was fourteen and he was just twenty....
A sales representative who came to us the other day laid a pretty clear trail of scent on his way through the factory and as I was expecting him, I had to follow this and him. Somehow it was quite dull for me, but not caused by the Lord. I couldn't quite explain what was happening and blamed it on the heat. We sat down and a colleague joined us to greet him and to examine the products together with me and to order them for the next season. I still couldn't think clearly and would have loved to run away. At some point in the skirmish of conversation, the said colleague asked: "You are wearing an interesting scent. Can I ask what that is?" I just thought 'hmmmm, is that the right expression interesting? I'm only awakening the flight instinct!'. What does this episode from my professional life have to do with the fragrance and the title of my commentary? The Lord wore Antaeus, whom my very first friend's age structure, see above, had worn. I hadn't had him up my nose in ages. Hence the first inexplicable flight reflex.
The age difference was so marked that we still had completely different views of a relationship, including needs. And it wasn't as beautiful as in the similar sounding song "und es war Sommer" by Maffay, even though the result was the same. There were four long summers, and each three equally long autumn, winter, spring. And afterwards I felt like thirty.... And during all that time, my ex wore Marcus Antaeus, sometimes Davidoff. Now, after more than thirty years, I still can't absorb these two fragrances without falling back into this time and wondering what I was doing in this big, Chanel-scented bed with this handsome blonde man, which I wasn't really ready for yet. Antaeus is not only very masculine and almost animalistic, but also very sexual and aggressive. If I look at the fragrance pyramid, I think that this effect is triggered by Bibergeil ( was program ...) with me. There one sees again, how an "interesting" smell can be negatively occupied by memories. If I try to suppress them, I have to deal with a fragrance that is quite skilfully composed and is not really unpleasant in small doses. If I manage to push back my prejudices, I like the effect of the numerous spices/herbs. The above Davidoff strikes in the same notch, but is significantly fresher. Fortunately, few men still wear this fragrance, although Antaeus is still available. Lets it, dear men-at least around me....
7.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

Antaeus
A now pretty legendary Chanel masculine reviewed here by me. The review is based on the currently available version, and without any experience of the vintage...

7.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Old school
This is an old school of the 80's from the house of Channel. Very masculine, spicy, woody, leathery, a llittle bit sweet and resinous in the drawdown (from the labdanum) I cannot imagine a lady using this power stuff. This has a beast longevity, after 24 hours I still smell this scent. They don't do perfumes with this power anymore. If you use it you will be noticed for sure, and you have sure that no one will smell like you. Is very 80's? Yes, but, men, give it an opportunity, is not an easy perfume but he will grow on you.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A plain chypre
Antaeus is a rigid animalic chypre for classic addicts. Although after wearing classics for several years, this perfume has not the same effect it had the first I tried, still makes be heart bump with that sophisticated bitter opening. It's smell of muscle and testosterone.

Chanel Antaeus is a mossy animalic woodsy fragrance with utmost level of everything necessary to charm a vintage fan. A bizarre angular-citrus infused in castoreum in the opening. Oakmoss collaborates with its oldsport; labdanum; in the dry down and points out as a symbol of classic hair-chested masculine colognes. Yet, what sucks is volume of synthetic or let's say rude woodsy accord used in Antaeus which delivers a rough surface, and undeepens the overall composition.
It's dark, grayish, green, animalic, warm, and bold
6.5/10
10.0 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Very Masculine scent...
This is probably the best Chanel masculine, and one of the best masculines ever made. It's warm, woody, deep, rich, dark, smokey, animalic and sensual all at the same time!

Blends really well with the skin to give off an incredible manly, musky, testosterone-filled vibe. I wouldn't call it dirty. It's incredibly well refined and very classy. A dangerous fragrance. This may be the fragrance for the big, strong, man with the muscles... but he's wearing a tux.

first fragrance
Chanel Antaeus was the first perfume of my own. I don’t remember who gave it to me, but I didn’t choose it myself. Looking back, my touchstones in perfume were Patou Joy, Lanvin Arpege, Dior Eau Sauvage and Paco Rabanne pour Homme. The first two my mother had, and introduced me to classical perfumery. I would sniff them out of the bottle and relish them. I was, maybe, 8 years old. 9? I knew nothing about perfume, but somehow they got me thinking. They got me to see beyond the expected and the routine in the same way that Frank Zappa’s music eventually broadened my teenage sense of what rock could be. The Dior and the Paco Rabanne were ambient scents. Men wore them in the 1960s-1970s of my youth and I remember smelling them. Eau Sauvage seemed like a lemon drop to me. It was tart but brisk like snow water. Paco Rabanne was ubiquitous and the scent of it today still brings back the 70s

I was fortunate to have such a superior group of fragrances to learn from. Pre-internet, pre-blog I had a limited set of guides: desire, inquisitiveness, well-made perfumes. On reflection, these are still my guides.

My start with perfume was solitary and reflective. Perfume taught me to appreciate states of beauty and contemplation. I lacked a vocabulary and a perfume guru, and, even at a young age, I wasn’t very narrative-driven. Perfume has never been about story per se. Perfume was my subject. The rest of my life, education and experience taught me how to know my subject. I didn’t hide my fascination with perfume, but I didn’t share it either. I guess it’s no surprise that I write anonymously. But with Antaeus, I went public.

I loved Antaeus. It was unlike anything I knew. Also, I’d never smelled it on anyone else, so it suited my solo perfume trip. It was visceral, and demanding and each time I put it on, it stopped me in my tracks. I first wore it in snowy weather, and it highlighted the cold woods of New England winter. Arpege and Joy were nothing like Antaeus, but they had prepared me. Unlike smelling Eau Sauvage in passing or lingering over a bottle of Joy, wearing Antaeus was a deliberate and public act. (I wasn’t modest in my dosing.) If the first period of my perfume fascination was reflective, act 2 was expansive.

[Sidebar: I think my questioning of marketing started early as well, with Antaeus as my primer. I already knew the myth of Herakles and Antaeus before Chanel. I thought the notion of associating a perfume with a character who symbolized cheating and the mundane and was odd until I realized that marketing wanted nothing more than a superficial image (hottie in a toga) and a link to the lofty/cultural (pretension). My thoughts on marketing, like marketing itself, may have evolved, but they haven’t really changed.]

The 80s had so much to offer: power fragrances and volume, self-absorption without introspection . I took Antaeus to college where I met and fell for Kouros and Coco. I know, very au courant, very bisexual chic. But thank god I kept my classical roots and embraced old-lady perfumes, in this case, Chanel 5 and Worth Je Reviens.

The end the formative years.

5.0 10.0 10.0 8.0/10

A Chanel Classic...
Antaeus (vintage) opens with an almost cinnamon smell mildly reminiscent of Halston Z-14 before quickly transitioning to a somewhat dirty animalic leathery scent derived from a combination of clary sage, with more than a dollop of castoreum and just a bit if civet added in for good measure. The dirty animalic leather accord hangs around throughout the heart of the scent with a somewhat bees-waxy and oak mossy undertone protruding into the late heart from the base. Projection and longevity are legendary.

Antaeus (vintage) is quite a different scent than all the other Chanel scents I have tried to date. It is quite the powerhouse scent that needs to be applied sparingly to avoid overpowering everything surrounding it (and you), but when applied lightly it really shines as a great animalic mossy leather driven primarily by its large quantity of castoreum. I don't know how often I would wear this, but Antaeus is certainly a classic scent that is perhaps apart from the great Sycomore just about as good as you are going to find from Chanel. Antaeus (vintage) earns an excellent 4 out of 5 stars.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Dense and bitter greeness
It was a strange moment when I first smelt Antaeus, it struck me as an almost masculine version of Chanel No.19. There was an undeniable green bitterness that caught my nose almost immediately which was then followed by a rich, slightly sweet woodsy-ness with an odd leathery note.

I guess if you're daring enough, Antaeus can be unisex, however I feel a strong sense of masculinity being portrayed here that deters me from trying this on myself.

While I disliked Chanel No.19, Antaeus is pure love for me. Perhaps it's the lavender, the delicious herbaceousness and the earthy, rich patchouli that captures me. Antaeus is for the older, sensible man in my opinion. Men around my own age seem better suited to those lively citrus scents and gutsy sweet colognes. Antaeus is essentially a man who has discovered his clasically charming side.

Antaeus doesn't strike you as sexy fragrance when you first apply, however the more it develops, the more sensual and alluring it becomes. The scent is crisp and spicy with this comforting warmth that is both magnetic and soothing.

The sillage is very 80's, strong and lasting. I do believe that part of this fragrance's success has been its high quality ingredients and its ability to last on the skin the whole day.
7.5 8.0/10

The Grey Governess
Antaeus is a great fragrance beyond question. But I am quite shocked when I apply it. I do not know any other perfume that gives off such an aura of rigour and strictness.

I feel that Antaeus is space-consuming and sophisticated. Always in a bad mood, it is driven by the need to spoil any feeling of Laissez-faire or even the slightest smile. At any time it demands moderation and temperance, and strict fulfilment of one's duties – like a governess in a high-necked, mouse grey outfit.

Its depth of francincense transforms whoever wears it into an inhabitant of fathomless urban canyons. With its tristesse, it suits Keanu Reeves in the movie “Matrix” or any other version of the Brave New World. A great perfume that unfortunately sends out strong negative energies.

Xanthon 178 days ago
In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping. (borrowed frm Alex1984)+2
10.0
JoaoMartins 8 months ago
Disgusting fragrance! It's not because it's too animalic, it's the blend of all of those ingredients: absolute mess!
6.0
10.0
1.0
Olfactory60 20 months ago
I read the review by Apicus, and it got me wondering if Antaeus is the bitter grey forbear of Lalique's Encre Noir....+2

by Zora
by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont
by Portominga
by Portominga
So lassen sich Hobbies kombinieren ;)
by SlyFox1985
by EvaK
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel