Antaeus (1981)Eau de Toilette

Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel
Bottle Design Jacques Helleu
Top 73 in Men's Perfume
Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Coriander, Lime, Clary sage, Myrrh, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBasil, Jasmine, Rose, Thyme
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreum, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.07.2020.

In Greek mythology, Antaeus was an almost invincible half-giant, the son of Poseidon and Gaia.

not mine, damn it...
parallel test to habit rouge, but it wasn't a great night...

explosive top note, very soon a feeling of spicy and soapy "gentlemanly scent"...

too banal and sweaty virile for me, puha!

then something becomes more tender and develops on my skin something to the better, against spicy-virile can be said as a man not much. or maybe nevertheless?!

in the end, derdiedas current antaeus remains spicy, soapy, sweetish and soft, but i can't say that this is a great development.

enormous durability: in the morning still clearly present with this spicy and soapy, but not pleasant for me.

i don't find this mythological giant of chanel particularly sophisticated - what a pity

Powerhouse of the 80s
He challenged the travelers who came to his country to a duel, killed them and from their skulls build a castle for his father Poseidon. Antaeus received inexhaustible strength from his mother Gaja, with whom he was in constant contact, while he was vulnerable in the air, like other people. Hercules realized that Anthaeus power lay in connection with the earth, so he lifted him off the ground and drowned him in the air.

Powerhouse of the 80s ....
The name suits him perfectly, a magical devilish scent is captured in this dark bottle, which simply exudes naturally evil energy...
I'm sure that just a few people will dare to wear it, or even fewer people who really enjoy this scent ....

It is "pretty Heavy" and is definitely not for everyone...

Just a touch of animal vibe from the very beginning, then the castoreum can be noticed, that part that is the most beautiful to me, when the smell it is very similar to dirty side of YSL Kouros... unfortunately that Kastoreum vibe is very short-lived od my skin.
On my skin, the earty powdery rose is definitely the most dominant note. followed by nutmeg, sage, patchouli and oak moss.
It gives me the impression of a dark, elegant, ultra masculine smelly energy, and its perfect choice for some "special" occasions ...
Absolutely not for the audience with "gentle hearts" and for the audience over 25 ++ ..?

When I describe a perfume, I don't like to use the adjective "beast", but this time I have to....
I don't know how the vintage versions smelled, but this "new" version is so potent, the performance is extraordinary, I think more than this would be really pointless, the only thing I can assume is that the animal accord maybe present in Vintage a little more than the current versoin.
Of course, I would like to test it ....

Another classic example of an ultra masculin quality perfume from the past times(most beautiful 80s)... i dont want replay myself by 1000x about the sad fate of Chanel, Ysl, Dior ... etc ... the Reputation of the "designer fragrance's" is maintained thanks to these some old designers, ("Kouros", "Antaeus", "Zino" "Egoiste".......)
The main question is: how much more reformulation they will be able to withstand?
Soon it will definitely be goodbye to Chanel, Dior, Ysl......
Chizza
Animalistic beginning, then it becomes gentle
I start the evaluation with an anecdote: my 2 year old daughter - when she gets up before I go to work - usually accompanies me to the bathroom when I apply perfume. Usually she then says "Papa you smell super good" with woody, spicy, scents, she actually likes leather or similar. It wasn't like that here. She flinched irritated the first time and I could see that she didn't know what it was all about.

And therefore I can understand negative reactions, because in the first moment something explodes. For me Antaeus starts wildly, animalistically and then becomes more and more gentle. Often one thinks the scent is already gone, only to perceive it again moments later. Nothing for every day, I have other favorites. But we have here a fragrance with a statement, none that is interchangeable. That pleases me

The Imprint of a Gentleman
The truth is that I don't know what the original smelled like, nor do I care: It probably couldn't be worn now in public without being declared an olfactory terrorist (times change and society, in general - and fortunately - stinks much less than before, so "beast" projection doesn't proceed anymore).

What I know is the current formulation, and I have to say that it's a true masterpiece.

This fragrance stands out for its class and elegance, as well as its undeniable artistic character.

- To achieve this, what it does is combine that exquisite sophistication with a high manly contrast, something primal and instinctive; That's the artistic legacy that has traveled through time since the original formula.

The result is this legendary creation of Chanel, a benchmark of Jacques Polge's genius (and Demachy) at a time when maximum expressiveness was expected in fragrances.

More Info:

- Easily +10h. Longevity.
- Great projection & Heavy Sillage.
- Mood: For a classy and confident gentleman.
- Scenario & Occasions: Autumn and winter nights, dressed-up. Perfect for formal events and special occasions, especially at night.

So to conclude, remember this idea: Antaeus is the male reincarnation of "Chanel No. 5".
Antaius
Since I have been reading Parfumo for quite some time now and have now decided to register, I would like to dedicate my first comment to what in my opinion is an extraordinary fragrance.

Antaios - giant - mythology - invincible power.
Some of the first words that may be associated with the perfume. And indeed, in my opinion, this line is also consistently implemented in the perfume. Here we already have the rough, robust, basically not graceful or beautiful looking bottle on the outside - an expression of strength. On the other hand, a fragrance that doesn't seem to fit into the current world at all - almost like a myth
To be honest, when I spray Antaeus on, I don't hear any easily separable notes. This may be due to my untrained nose, but perhaps also partly to the fact that they interweave very harmoniously with each other. I can roughly imagine in the scent what Castoreum should smell like. In any case, I always consider the fragrance to be very artistically constructed.

For a long time I wondered what character this fragrance would suit, who I would like to smell it to. And in my thoughts there was always only one fictitious person/scene:
A handsome, tall, very athletic boss, perfectly dressed in a suit and carefully shaved, enters a conference room where his employees are already waiting and talking to each other. He is no one who has to distinguish himself from others, no one who only swings big words, no one who seems bossy. But a respectful person through his performance, deeds and his polite, understanding manner. Alone by the appearance the space falls silent. And just as the employees are respectfully silenced, all other fragrances in Antaeus' presence are also silent. He is simply superior to them and knows all the masculine scents of recent years in their bounds. It may not smell better than them, but it is more expressive, safer, more powerful.

I think such people are very rare these days, unfortunately. But I can't really imagine this enormous scent on anyone else, contrary to the often held opinion in the statements. On no biker with a leather jacket and an unkempt beard who makes a big deal out of "thick pants" or other machos.
The fragrance radiates in my eyes a much too great elegance "at second glance", which only a suit appreciates.
I wish I could wear it very much, but it wouldn't fit.
Antaeus, like his eponym, has perhaps become a myth.

Thank you very much for reading!
Wicked Game
Antaeus Twice I call him Vintage my own... Legendary, respected and sublime.

The scent reminds me of my favourite song Wicked Game by Chris Isaak. Strong in character, melancholic and yet as self-confident and sexy as only a true gentleman can be. The feminine, slightly wicked note harmonizes perfectly with its strongly spicy male aura.

When I think about it, I am in bed with a beautiful woman in my arm and enjoy this moment as if it would never end. True love and affection together with hate are probably the only things that never fade away... As well as my admiration for this fragrance.

It strikes, perhaps a little unusually strong and extreme for modern tastes. It always rattles the same rail, but that makes it so perfect. He delivers shower gel until the second layer and rinse again.

A true showman, one of the last of his kind. One of the best of its kind.

He is erotic, calming and self-confident, but still so strong, scary and somehow very conspicuous.

My bottle of Kouros has a worthy neighbour with it.
Arm length Distance
Since I know Antaeus, I don't need a seat reservation in the ICE Hamburg/Munich anymore. But don't overdo it with the dosage, otherwise you'll have the whole compartment to yourself.
And one more thing, guys, don't think you're men with that smell, you're not.
The only person who could wear this scent would be Leonidas in the movie 300, when he throws the spear into his face in the fight against the Persians Xerxes
MajorTom
Deja-vu of the super class
Yesterday I was in my favorite perfumery again. And while I was sniffing various scents on various small text cloths, my gaze was on a red Chanel pack. Antaeus. My fragrance in the late '80s. It's still there.

So you asked for a test sprayer. Close your eyes. Open your nose. Once moved in and immediately came back at the end of the 80s. Fruit of the Loom T- and sweatshirts. Spencer with shoulder pads. White loafers. White socks too. Leather ties. Pilot shirts with epaulettes. Ladies in carrot jeans. Ending above the ankle. White high heels. Miami Vice style clothes. Hammer music. And Antaeus.

Head cinema off, eyes up and back in the third millennium.

It's hard for me to describe the fragrance in detail, which definitely speaks for it, because it shows how extravagant it still is today. And at the latest the statement of my consultant "yes, he still exists, but to be honest, we often don't sell him" was reason enough for me to strike immediately. Because everything off mainstream is interesting and makes. And I'm a little afraid of the day when not enough is sold to have it on the shelf.

Some of the previous speakers complained that Antaeus had been castrated and robbed of its former class by various reformulations. In fact, even if it was 30 years ago, I too have the impression that he was banging more back then. But don't let it fool you - this thing still has a real bang today. That's right, I did. Really, I do. And even today the composition of fruits and spices is simply unique. Bibergeil gives the thing at the end this typical, unmistakable and uncanny masculine note.

Durability and sillage I feel weaker than in the original form, but this can be easily increased to the 80 level by one or two sprayers and thus individually designed according to the occasion and need.
Flacon: at that time a statement, today rather in the shadow of various nice developments in this area.

And the scent itself is just awesome. Nothing for (and I mean that now please completely worthless) warm wimps, motorhome drivers, couch potatoes, ladies cyclists or short sleeve shirt wearers. But what about real guys, machos, ultramasculines, truck brakes.

Just awesome.

I'm glad you're still here today

Creature of the night
Antaeus it seems, never really took of for Chanel. While it could have been for the maison what Coco became, Antaeus was a hit of the moment, spawning a short lived Antaeus Sport flanker, and then took refugee in the back. Few use Antaeus, even today, and even though Chanel has kept it for its followers, it hasn’t bothered to promote it; the vintage enjoys cult status, while the current, stripped by laws and cost cutting could have benefited from a newer flanker if only for the spotlight to shine on the original.

Review based on a 200ml splash from 1982.

Antaeus is one of the few perfumes that always brings two specific movies to my mind every time I use it; Cruising with Al Pacino, discovering his wild side in the meatpacking district leather clubs. Given the fact that Antaeus was rumored to be a huge success with the gay collective circa 1980’s, I wonder if this association isn’t that far fetched.
But Antaeus is so much more than that. Less popular, less in-your-face than the popular brute Kouros, launched the same year, Antaeus always maintained a more suave appearance, a distance, just like Richard Gere in American Gigolo; is he really a killer in disguise, or has he always had the instinct all along?
Herbal, dry chypre, rich in woods, leather and castoreum, with a beautiful beeswax note that got lost through the years. A deep rose, N°5 in a way that links it to the house and the grand dame.
This is what the vintage smells like. Antaeus opens with herbal accents of myrtle, sage, coriander, basil... Polge’s intention was of a classical composition. But it’s 1981 and whether you like it or not, the market and tastes dictate power and strength. So Polge played with the oakmoss and the leather and the castoreum with maybe just a smidgen of civet to give the base all the power and longevity that men and women demanded, and gave the heart a more somber treatment. The rose and jasmine that glow in the background smell distinctly Chanel; there is a brief link to N°5 in this beautiful floral vein that runs among the more classic herbal/chypre feel, and the more contemporary animalic growl. The leather, abundantly rich creates the signature of Antaeus. And it’s the deep tanned leather, Cuir de Russie meets Peau d’Espagne. Classic gentleman meets his dark side. Was it there all along?

Antaeus is always a pleasure to use, and a challenge to the senses. While it is unequivocally Chanel, the treatment of the notes is the work of genius. Polge created something that was in the realm of classic and respected but he also played his brutal animalic side, playing with shadows and contrasts to create something bigger than the sum. Class, elegance, sexuality, debauchery. Was Antaeus a killer all along?
The longevity is outstanding, pulsating from the skin like a heartbeat in the heat of the night, while the sillage is mellow and discreet. In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping.

The storm
When I'm alone with myself, they come a lot. Thoughts of the old days. As it was in my youth. The arduous path from youth to man. Beautiful moments and memories. But also sad events. Like rags, they flee into my head. Torn memories from an already lived life. My life! Fragrances that I once wore and loved help me to reassemble these shreds of memory into one picture. Just like Antaeus does when I hang him up. Chanel's black storm flows through me like a flow of feelings and emotions as hard to describe as the fragrance itself. There are as many scents as shreds of thoughts flying around. Bitter tears like coriander and sage, promises whispered in green-soft basil, stabbing thyme and resinous-strong myrrh that held friends together like brothers. If I wear Antaeus, they'll come, all of them. Whether man or event. Antaeus blows them back to me. The smell of oakmoss and beaver horny and the moments of human hours of togetherness. Grounded promises of patchouli and oaths of love on the Roxy Music record cover written balsamic-soft like the scent of Labdanum. Antaeus was always with me like Kouros and Verace L'Homme. The gods have always been kind to me. Often more luck than intellect on the long way to man. It wasn't always nice, but Antaeus stayed. Even when friends died he mourned with me and gave me strength and support because even men can be vulnerable and weak in their lives. And I have been many times! But the black storm was there for me in such moments, as in so many others. Nothing he let come and nothing he let out when one lingered in the eye of the storm. If I wear Antaeus today after all these years it will be quiet again around me and my innermost self, because he will then rebuild himself, the black storm of Chanel. Mighty, wild and passionate! Antaeus brings me back to the time that shaped my life out of joy, suffering and loss. Much has changed in my life, Antaeus has also changed. But only for those who knew him when he was created by Chanel. He is still a God and he still has the power to rule over passion and sublimity. And he has the power to make me fly through time in the center of his eye!

Gods live forever... Antaeus will!

ElysiumElysium 87 days ago
Leathery and animalic accord evokes and recalls the cult perfumes of the 20th century that exuded masculinity and more robust characters.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 164 days ago
An old school animalic well blended elixir. It's complex but it's a joy to wear. It transmits confidence. Probably the best Chanel for me.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 10 months ago
A timesless aromatic masterpiece for the modern gentleman. Strong but never eavy, it's perfect by day in the mid-cold season.i love it
TruckladyTrucklady 13 months ago
I smell so freaking good.
XanthonXanthon 19 months ago
In this sense, it doesn’t shout, but he’s always lurking in the shadows. And when he comes out, there’s no escaping. (borrowed frm Alex1984)
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 22 months ago
Disgusting fragrance! It's not because it's too animalic, it's the blend of all of those ingredients: absolute mess!
Olfactory60Olfactory60 3 years ago
I read the review by Apicus, and it got me wondering if Antaeus is the bitter grey forbear of Lalique's Encre Noir....

by Zora
by Zora
Das wichtigste Werkzeug eines Mannes ...
by JulieFä91
by MonsieurMont
by MonsieurMont
Chanel Antaeus EdT Originalflacon 1986, gefüllt mit Erinnerungen
by Portominga
So lassen sich Hobbies kombinieren ;)
by SlyFox1985
by EvaK
by Inse
by Inse

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel