Bleu de Chanel (2010) Eau de Toilette

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 2010. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesPink pepper, Vetiver, Citric notes
Heart Notes Heart NotesGrapefruit, Labdanum, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesGinger, Sandalwood, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 25.03.2019

9.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10
Integral
BdC EdT - Acronym or Retronym?
Basically, the three different Bleu de Chanel versions cannot be clearly distinguished from each other. In addition, I would like to point out that these fresh fragrances have a very special characteristic.

Characteristic is the citric note, which creates an absolutely transparent and cool property that reminds us humans of disinfectants freshly cleaned in decontamination. It is precisely this freshness that is interesting to me. So I can still have the feeling of being fresh at very high temperatures in summer. Perhaps it is lemon, orange, grapefruit or the classic bergamot. I don't recognize vetiver and pepper. It is also interesting how the perfume gradually evaporates. The citrus fruits begin to take a back seat, while a certain component - what actually? - is spreading. The scent is now neither sparkling nor cool. It is synthetic with a small amount of sticky fragrances. Something dry that makes you struggle for breath rings innocently at the back door. I think it's the smoke.

The scent embodies a special coolness, as we know it from components of metallic material. In addition, there is the fresh-citric robot cleanliness, which offers the whole play a balanced attitude between inconspicuousness and claim. In all situations where the desire for "simple cleanliness" is present, Bleu de Chanel is convincing.

If you look at the appearance of Bleu de Chanel bottles and compare it with their contents, you can quickly see that the entire product line is very similar. It is therefore hardly surprising that the EdT bottle only received an addition such as "Eau de Toilette" after the fact. The common consumer is promised a change in the matter of fragrance, whereby the terms known to us such as shelf life and Sillage function variable seem to play.

For me Bleu de Chanel is a fresh fragrance, which I like to apply to warmer summers.

9.0 8.0 10.0/10
What's so special?
I have 2 2ml samples each of BDC.
One Edt and one perfume.
I find something in this fragrance so convincing. I can't tell you what it is.
With the Edt, this "feeling" starts immediately after the job and lasts about 2 hours. With perfume, on the other hand, it only starts after about an hour. Something in that scent makes me happy. No other perfume gives me that feeling. There are other perfumes that I like and love, but none get so close to my heart that it affects my subconscious. And this is exactly what this fragrance creates. I just have him on my wrist and smile :)
Similarity to Sauvage? Not to me. Sauvage is boring, maybe this one too, but he still convinces me soo much. Not from the smell. Or is it? I can't say, I definitely love this fragrance.
LG :)
8.0 4.0 4.0 2.0/10
Annoying in modern times

Had a few weeks ago when looking for a summer scent at
a sample and was already little impressed at this time
and a little at a loss. So this is supposed to be the highly acclaimed blue...?

Now I had found another atomizer sample in a GQ booklet and thought,
give him another chance- the bottle is so simple and yet great and the old big name...

...1990 Egoiste at that time the smell for a while, years later again a blast - Allure Homme Sport,
really good and that should now although already longer on the market a modern Chanel statement
in the blockbuster sector?
Not for me! Unfortunately. A confused semi-synthetic mix, which might do everything somehow
and that's the kind of thing that comes out of it.
In addition with a very moderate silage and durability.
But making money with nothing seems to work somehow, if you don't get the
May trust sales.

Of course every time has its fragrance preferences and special highlights, but this belongs
definitely not the fragrances that you still remember euphorically after a long time.
There are for me creations like the Terres or Spicebombs ( unreformed) from completely different wood.
They made me become aware of the fragrance sector in the first place...
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10
Reinventing the wheel
It has been several years since Chanel launched his top seller on the market. I was one of the ones who liked him from the beginning. Before the first bottle I allowed myself first only 12 samples a 2ml of this. Unfortunately he never really liked my girlfriend.

The start is citric, bitter and fresh as the rest of the course. I think it's super linear and good from start to finish. Except for the incense note, which in my opinion could have been used more gently to make it rounder and smoother. Basically I think it's ingenious how Chanel reinvents the wheel here. In my opinion, such aromatic citrus scents are not against it yet. Often copied, modified and rebuilt for good reason. That's just the DNA of today.

By the way, I don't know why people keep saying he's a suit scent. I think it's pretty universal. Maybe not necessarily on the beach in Cuba, but in his chic casual clothes he also goes for it. H+S are absolutely sufficient and pretty good for a fresh fragrance.

BdC will be part of the Acqua di Gio and Le Male series in the sense of eternal recurrence. But for good reason.
10.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10
Javijabs
Yes, It Has Been Reformulated...
Welcome to Light Bleu de Chanel (Eau Fraîche?)

Shame on Chanel for watering down the glorious Eau de Toilette presentation. Horrible longevity of 4-5 hours. Previously owned/wore 4 x 100ml bottles in 2012 and the recent one I got, batch 0210 (2016-02), is for sure a reformulation of the original (2010-2012)

Shame on you Chanel! Reasons? To favor the sale of the Eau de Parfum version?

Originally, I applied 4-5 sprays and it will last 8-10 hours. With the current one, I need 10-14 sprays to make it last the same amount of time. I guess the idea is to have people buy the most expensive EDP version in favor of the EDT. Complete disappointment to say the least.

6/10
Modern Classic...
So, I am one of the people who didn't like this one from the time it was released. That isn't because I thought that Chanel was being too "mainstream" or whatever. It's because when I first encountered it (mid 2012), it was being worn by an obnoxious person I met who just ruined the whole fragrance for me, saying he wore it to "get women" etc. and I remember him totally over-spraying himself with this from a bottle he carried around in his pocket whilst he was at the club etc.

So, suffice it to say that I avoided this fragrance for a few years... until now, that is.

First I tried the Eau de Parfum because, as far as I know he wasn't wearing that one, and because I like EdP concentrations in general. But lately, I've been wearing the Eau de Toilette as well. Whilst I find the Eau de Parfum different in character, I also like this one as I find it more versatile.

It opens with a very nice grapefruit note which I feel adds such a vitality and brightness to the composition. This is coupled with ginger, followed by vetiver, resins and amber. The other main player here is incense. If I could sum up this then it would be Grapefruit, Ginger, Incense & Amber. I think this is a very flexible scent. One which is laid back and casual (ie a jeans & t-shirt scent) and one which would also work well with a tie and suit. Frankly, I think that Jaques Polge has basically succeeded in hitting all the spots here with Bleu de Chanel. It's not the most amazing or complex or earth-shattering creation out there, but it feels good to wear, and it acts as a man-for-all-seasons kind of scent. If you are new to Chanel, I think this is worth a try.
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10
Blue Perfume or Blue Toilette
I had this EDT and i love it. The scent was great and both longevity and Projection were acceptable for a EDT. I recently bought EDP one which is reformulated. Although I think it was not as good as EDT one, i like it. The longevity has been improved, although the projection is less. I think the EDT is cooler and EDP is sweeter. It is wearable for all seasons. I think it is practical for any occasion.
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10
Deefit
Not so generic at second glance
The first time I tried this on my skin, I guess my skin was too dry, which resulted in a soury and unpleasant smell. Right now I am giving it a second try, and it works a lot better. But, in all honesty I have to say that I am not at all impressed. Sure it is a nice fragrance and looking at the notes, it is different from most mainstream fragrances. When I smell this with my nose close to the skin, I am really unimpressed. It's not very unique and maybe even a bit generic.

Okay, so that was during the first 15 to 20 minutes. I sprayed some on the back of my hand from a sample given to me by a very friendly SA yesterday. From time to time, a very soft and creamy scent passes my nostrils. Could it be? Could this be the real Blue? The scent I found so hyped and actually dismissed at the first try thinking it was yet another generic fragrance? I put my hand closer to my nose and the closer it gets, the more clearly I pick it up. When brought too close, it again smells a bit dense but not interesting at all. But the sillage, it is wonderful. There is something very pleasing about this. It's not loud, but it projects pretty nicely. It has an enigmatic and characteristic smell. Not at all generic like I thought when I smelled the opening.

I used to find this fragrance overhyped and not special at all. Until somebody suggested that it works a lot better when applied on skin. And indeed it does.

Call me crazy, but I am picking up a very slight similarity to Guerlain Homme. Probably some accord they have in common. Not at all impossible I suppose, considering the several notes they have in common.

After two hours however, I am dissapointed at how soft this has become.. Too bad, because I really liked the scent about 30 minutes in. But it has changed.
All-seasons citrus scent
Chanel classifies this as a woody aromatic, but it's more like a spicy citrus (on a woody base). A citrus you can wear all year round, which I believe is quite rare. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

When you spray it on, you get hit hard by the grapefruit and lemon. After a while the other notes come out to play, but the citrusy vibe stays dominant throughout. I'm not 100% sure of those other notes that I'm getting, but I THINK it's incense, ginger and pink pepper, with the sandelwood as a base.

To me this is an office scent mostly, but it's perfectly fine to be used for casual wear as well.

People might say it's generic, but I prefer it over other popular citruses I've tried (Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey). They just smell like boring lemon. Bleu does not, which instantly makes it better for me.
3.0/10
bleu de chanel
is this from the big luxury house called chanel ? I JUST can't believe that ,or maybe the ones in chanel who gaves the benefits for the launch of this horrible stuff were completely drunk that day ' ? this is an offensive toilet deodorant called perfume , i would have prefer the launch of vintage antaeus or egoiste these were real masterpiece , hope asap they will give something decent for masculine market
BdC ~ Versatile People Pleaser
The top notes of this sparkling grapefruit/ginger juice by Chanel will turn heads as you walk by! The vetiver/cedar basenotes created by Polge will give you a happy sunny glow that will make others smile. A "Versatile People Pleaser" that will compete with the best niche scent for your attention!
Scent ~ 9
Sillage ~ 8
Longevity ~ 6
Q. If this Chanel is so generic why are there so few smell alikes?
7.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10
Ordinary world...
Personally Bleu let me down since i was expecting something more unique as many of Chanel releases.

Actually Bleu is a good scent, but lacks of originality.

For me Bleu and YSL's L'Homme Libre shares some similarities, specially in the drydown.

Lots of pepper and ginger layered over a cedar base makes Bleu is a safe scent.

An okay scent with good sillage, lasting power and projection. Dont expect something unique but rather a safe and good scent, specially for summer.

Updated January 2014
Marketing: The Cart Before the Horse
It’s not inevitable that a Big Seller will be bad. It’s not wrong to design a perfume intended to find a large middle of the consumer market. I don’t have a problem with the notion of Bleu. Bleu’s approach, evidenced by the fresh-citrus-woody genre chosen and the advertising is to attempt the big, new masculine that straight men will be comfortable with, straight women will like on them, and gay men will consider (the television ads are apparently deliberately homophilic.) And given Drakkar Noir’s history, Bleu could very well have the lesbian demographic in hand as well.

But marketing isn’t the problem. The fragrance is. It’s loosely handsome, offers decent but not bothersome projection and stays within the fresh/woody né eau de cologne range that generally shouldn’t offend. But there is a shrill sweetness, more aspartame than sugar or fruit, that becomes dominant as the topnotes fade and lasts through drydown. To my nose it’s disproportionate, a miscalculation.

The best way I can describe it is by diet soda analogy. Artificial sweetener in a cold, fresh Diet Coke is just fine. In a room temperature, flat Diet Coke, you wouldn’t touch it. (If you were uncertain, Bleu is the warm, flat soda in this analogy.)
5.0 7.5 6.0/10
Classic and traditional - not modern
It is indeed true that Chanel has not taken many risks in this latest creation, but with that being said, the way in which Bleu de Chanel has embraced the traditional qualities found in some of the best-selling colognes over the last few decades, is very appealing.

This fragrance reminds me a little of Davidoff's Cool Water, a less fresh and much darker version of it. The scent is strong, certainly something that will cause a few heads to turn. Despite its lack of innovation, Bleu de Chanel didn't have me disappointed for long.

I would definitely enjoy smelling this on a man. It comes across as being rather clean, soapy almost. The freshness is complimented by an interesting earthy herbaceousness.

The ginger gives this fragrance character, something that people will either love or hate. In reference to the ginger note, Bleu de Chanel also has some similarities to the lovely BLV pour Homme.

Bleu de Chanel is in one word, classic. The way in which the citrus top notes counteract with the woodsiness in the drydown is commendable. With marvellous lasting strength and moderate to strong sillage, Bleu de Chanel, in my opinion, is well worth the purchase.

JoaoMartins 6 months ago
Typical don't give a fuck perfume for people who are not into perfumes. Super headache inducing. Can't stand it! One of the most overrated+1
2.0
DavidBraz 6 months ago
Very safe and great smelling casual and office scent. All year round
Elysium 24 months ago
OK, I've changed my mind. I've tested once more and its citrus-spicy-smoky vibe seduced me. I'm wearing it and cannot take my nose off of it+1
9.0
9.0
PMRP12 2 years ago
When I need to portray confidence and professionalism. Bright, spicy, woody, and incense. Immensely versatile: all seasons and occasions.+1
10.0

by Toreter
by Altona
by Altona

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel