Bleu de Chanel (2014)Eau de Parfum

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for men and was released in 2014. The scent is fresh-woody. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Sauvage (Eau de Toilette)

Jacques Polge

Mandarin, Sicilian lemon, Haitian vetiver, Woody notes, Cedar, Vanilla, Venezuelan tonka bean, New Caledonian sandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 22.07.2020.

Serious freshness
When you start to deal with fragrances, you inevitably come to the point where you ask yourself for whom you are wearing them. For yourself? Sure. But even then, other people can hardly escape the personal choice. For others? It's going to be difficult because, as we all know, the perception of scent is very individual. It would be like trying to wear other people's favorite color. During the pandemic, I was increasingly in the home office and could wear whatever I wanted (my wife: "Oh man, what are you wearing?"). Now that I'm back in the office, I'm focusing on fragrances that have a good chance of being generally well received, or at least not disturbing. So not pink-gold-green-striped, but blue (nothing against lovers of pink-gold-green-striped!). But I wouldn't wear the scent if I didn't like it very much myself. What a great scent! Citric fresh, but serious and masculine. Friendly, but not too playful. Just great. Similarity to Sauvage? I can understand how it could go in the same direction on a certain level, but Sauvage is so much louder, spicier and more aggressive that I can't understand the comparison in the end. In any case, the areas of application are completely different for me. In my opinion, Bleu is a good choice for the office, but also for dinner, especially during the hot season. If you are not going out with a perfume nerd ;-)

Please forget the prejudices and give the perfume a chance. I have already made a lot of blind purchases and of course I can only recommend not to do this in general. If there is a fragrance where it could go well, then this one, but still. But you should test it in my opinion in any case.
Swagger91
The one that started it all!
What can one write much new about this fragrance that not many and whiter people have already said about it.
I'll be brief with the one with whom everything started well with the blues series of fresh scents.

The flacon is in any case high-quality processed for a designer fragrance. Somehow I like these magnetic closures:D Somehow they also make the bottle look more valuable. But it is also a Chanel.
The fragrance starts with a lemony/fruity opening with a woody finish in the later stages of the fragrance. Shelf life is a good 6-8 hours and Sillage is okay. Not big enough to bother people ;) Great for the office or everyday use. Can be done when you are a little listless and looking for a new scent!

But unfortunately for me it is a bit too boring and because it is used so often, I lose a lot of individuality.

INDIGOSPHINX
Can I say I love the bottle more than the scent?
First of all, I have a strong opinion that BDC has one of the best presentations in the game, niche and designer. That deep shade of cobalt blue with a square bottle. Man, whoever designed this had in mind people are gonna buy this fragrance for years to come.

I used to own the EDT, problem is, it hurts my throat, like it literally give me a sore throat every time I wear it. I don't know what note or ingredient that's causing it but the problem disappeared with the EDP.

What does this smell like? Interestingly, though I never associated BDC with an ambroxan bomb, the ambroxan in this is absoluetly beautiful blended with other notes. The amber note (ambroxan i suppose) actually reminds me of Dior Homme OG a little bit.
After the top note, you nose is highly likely to go insensitive to this fragrance, thus giving this fragrance a bad rap for being a poor performer. IMO ,it's quite beast mode in terms of longevity and sillage. However, I cannot smell myself as well as Chanel's AHS or PM edp. I figure, it's probably the ambroxan.

Some say it's shower gelish, some say it's overrated, uninspired.
I don't know man. Is it? I mean, if this formula is so dumb, why did J.P. make it? Surely Chanel has to keep up its reputation and make some money? Is that a bad thing?

There is no Royal Cambodian Oud or Fancy Filthy Civet in it, but it does't need those notes.
Sometimes a man just wants to be alone, and to me, Bleu is the perfect name for it
The 'Bleu' of Chanel

The opening of Bleu de Chanel's eau de parfum is completely unspectacular. More than rather subtle citrus notes are not to be heard at first. Then the fragrance develops more and more the typical Chanel DNA and becomes a bit powdery and sweeter due to the tonka; here it strongly resembles the fragrances of the Allure Homme Sport line. But unusually, the fragrance soon regains its citric character. Unusual because citrus notes generally evaporate more quickly and rarely form the base. But this is a good example of how the citrus note, in this case ultimately mixed with woods, is retained for quite a long time, unlike in other fragrances.

Incidentally, the Drydown at times reminds me astonishingly of the top note of Guerlain's Ideal Cologne with its sparkling effervescent powder scent, before the creamy almond sets in.

Another curiosity, I think, happens long after the fragrance is applied; at a time when you think all the elixirs of life have long left the fragrance. At that point, the perfume emits a fresh, aquatic cloud, much like a shower gel emits it two or three minutes after showering. This is the real heart of this perfume, this is the 'blue' of Chanel for me! While this aura of freshness surrounds you, the drydown on your skin still smells as described above. This diversity is already high perfumer's art.

All in all, however, what the nose is offered (for not exactly small money) is not very exciting. The fragrance lacks power, it is too flat, yes, it has no edges at all. It is so discreet that there is always the danger of smelling over it, so fine it is, so poor is its sillage. It is complex, but always clean and extremely introverted
In my opinion, we also have to cut back on the versatility. The BdC is mainly suitable for formal occasions. For the office it is also still useful. For the evening, for the date, for the club, for the autumn and for the winter but certainly not.

So in the end, it is placed on the shelf somewhere between Dior Sauvage and Allure Homme Sport. But if I'm honest, I'd rather go for these than Bleu de Chanel. Because they're more distinctive and show off their strengths brilliantly in their own way, while BdC is mulling over everything in between, because this fragrance lacks a character of its own in the first place. It should also be remembered that the 'Bleu' was the first of the 'Blues', which the others were able to work on more or less successfully...

Taurus1967
I still don't get the punch line
Before I talk about this fragrance, I must briefly mention Dior's competitor Sauvage. When the eau de toilette came out of it, I was anything but enthusiastic. Somehow I had expected more. A few years later, Sauvage's eau de parfum was able to deliver exactly that. For me, despite or perhaps because of its synthetic nature, it was attractively made with a wow-effect, so I absolutely had to include it in my small, modest collection - even if only temporarily, at least until the 60 ml bottle is empty. I don't think a re-purchase is an option at the moment, but it is simply too inflationary for me in our fields.

Accordingly, I thought that this effect could possibly also rub off on the eau de parfum of Bleu de Chanel, because the EdT I had then after the market launch in my commi neatly torn up in addition.
Unfortunately, the math didn't quite add up... at least for me, because the scent didn't get much better for me either.

Although I notice a slightly better and slightly more intense variation of the lemon freshness with sweet-sour and partly warm nuances shortly after spraying, I still miss this wow effect, which would explain why the BdC is so positively received here. Admittedly, the lemon note has a fascinating aura even after a few seconds, which could be placed somewhere between mysterious and seductive, but only viiiiiiiiel too short. In between, thoughts haunt between Lidl shower gel, lime water and boredom.

With a bit of imagination I imagine that a few splashes of vetiver and traces of cedar wood have been added, but the fragrance simply doesn't give off more. No, there's no shame in wearing it or having it in your collection, but there are plenty of alternatives in the same segment with more development, depth and sophistication that are to be preferred.

Bleu de Chanel whether as EdT or EdP is a little water that probably most people spray on themselves to be scented, but do not want to attract attention. This is also made clear by its manageable durability and projection. Depending on the job, this may be appropriate, but it does not really show the edge. And those who have actually indicated it as a signature scent have not had much olfactory experience in their lives or are happy to settle for the role of an adapted sheep.

Right now, some people will curse me and moan, but I can only answer them: howl more quietly or explain the punch line of this hype to me.

By the way, I have the Bleu de Chanel perfume as a sample. In fairness, I would give that another chance in a commentary. But I don't have high hopes.
Balance
Bleu de Chanel EdP is one of the best balanced fragrances I know. No nuance stands out too much, everything forms a harmonious whole. The citrusy-fruity start is directly accompanied by a woody depth and a pleasant, only slightly perceptible sweetness. A positive aspect for me is also that the fragrance does not change too much in its progression, the citrus notes fade away, but Bleu de Chanel still retains its fresh, clean character, with the woody aromas being even stronger. It never smells pungent, too tart or too sweet, the scent is perceptible for hours, which I can unfortunately say about few fresh scents. It is a true all-rounder, wearable in every situation and perceived by almost everyone as pleasant.
AB2202
That's how it all started...
Bleu de Chanel... Where should I start? The best place to start is: "2014 A. has a birthday and gets this wonderful fragrance. Chanel stands on the bottle and A. is extremely proud. So he starts to wear it every day for the next 12 months until there is only a shred left in the bottle - but the next one is already ready and so it goes on for the next 4 years.
Even today it is still an integral part of my collection and in my opinion it is still a very good "one fits all" fragrance for most situations. Although the handle goes a little less often in its direction, I always revel in memories when the vaporizer is moved downwards.
The love of my life...
It all started with this scent. It was the year 2015.

At that time I was strolling with my younger sister in a shopping centre called CentrO in Oberhausen. I decided to visit a perfumery. We went inside and I walked directly to men's fragrances and there my sister showed me her favourite ( Dior Sauvage ) and I thought: Oh stop it without knowing what it smelled like, because Johnny Depp advertised it and she is a huge fan of it I knew that's why she said it. Anyway, I had smelled Dior Sauvage for her sake and I thought it was okay but I didn't like it, probably because of the Ambrox back then and I like it now but it's not a must have because it's all gone. The Bleu de Chanel now also but as I said, I have a bond to this fragrance. Well further to the story, I had looked around this and that before I saw the ''closed'' area with a kind of red ropes hanging and there was already BDC. The employees, as you know them from the shops, looked at me with their fake smile and asked me if I was looking for something, I then needed to find it, I only smell but could you give me the bottle there? You like it? I like Bleu de Chanel. You then of course and then as I held it in my hand, I thought to myself mhh chic part pulled on the cap (magnetic) has drawn me into its spell and then it began ... I smelled first and grinned then I sprayed it on my wrist and thought to myself, oh my God, the perfume is intended for me, this is exactly how I imagine a fragrance, this is how it must smell and looked over to my sister and told her, I will buy this fragrance, you then so: YES? REALLY? D :D :D and me then, Yes but I order it online much cheaper ;D ;D
PS: Of course the employee didn't notice anything of these sentences and then I put it back on the shelf and we went out. A short time later I had it and then my interest in fragrances started very slowly.

About the fragrance: It's simply unique - for me it smells even better than Aventus and worlds better than Dior Sauvage m.M.n

Durability: 8/10 with me it really lasts very long

Sillage: 7/10 no WOW as with Nichen fragrance but you are well perceived.

Flacon: 8/10 chic, noble part.

Price performance is also okay, for getting such a bombastic scent.

Is it still worth buying the perfume now, after all the hype? In my opinion: JAA ! Even though it's become so popular, the scent is worth the money. My bottle is slowly coming to an end and I'm already looking like crazy for good offers again, although I have enough fresh / summer scents.

PS: I love you Bleu de Chanel
Simply the best
I think it's outstanding, I went straight for the 150 ml version of it. It's an everyday companion for every day, night, summer and winter time. When I don't know which fragrance to use, this one is always right
Nils2502
More noble and quiet than the EdT
Bleu de Chanel was my first fragrance that drew me into the world of perfume.
Rightly so!
The fragrance is aquatic fresh with a citrus grapefruit note The spice is for me the point that makes Bleu stand out from other family fragrances.

The EdP is nobler and quieter than the EdT.
Surprisingly, this one doesn't steel so loud either.

More mature and elegant for me
A perfect office fragrance that you can buy for the Chanel price

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 22 days ago
If I can't decide what to wear, I'll always come back to this versatile fresh-citric and spicy resinous-woody fragrance; my signature scent.
MillanderMillander 6 months ago
If I smell it on my skin it's too sour, but the sillage from 50cm is amazing.
GolcherGolcher 8 months ago
A cliché is a cliché for a reason, because it's true, because something works and there is a reason Bleu EDP is shrouded with all this hype.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 19 months ago
Typical don't give a fuck perfume for people who are not into perfumes. Super headache inducing. Can't stand it! One of the most overrated
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Hyped, overrated and overpriced. Nevertheless, I do notice the quality citrus, the light resins, the woody notes and its sheer class touch.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A mix of Woody -warm notes and citrusy accents which gives to this scent a complex character. Aromatic and pleasant . A modern classic.

by GilAroma
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13
simply pale - Chanel 5
by Dvalinn
Nachschub, diesesmal in150 ml. ;)
by Weihrauch
by Nage
by Oldish2002
by Oldish2002

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel