Coco (1984)Eau de Parfum

Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel
Coco (Eau de Parfum) (Chanel)
Coco (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1984. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Pimento, Coriander, Frangipani
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Rose, Orange blossom, Ylang-ylang, Cinnamon, Iris, Angelica
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Tonka bean, Benzoin, Frankincense, Amber, Musk, Honey, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.06.2017

Variant of the fragrance concentration

Coco (Eau de Parfum)

This is a variant of the perfume Coco (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Scent 10.0/10
A Merry Accomplice
I'm gonna apologize in advance. This is a review of sorts but it's also my meandering thoughts about what this fragrance has meant to me. If you want a solid ingredient listing and description of Coco's phases, pass this review. If you want to know one woman's experience WEARING it, keep reading...
________________________________________________
Have you ever had a friend who was nothing but trouble? You know you’re none the better for hanging out with her but the adventures the two of you embark upon—it’s the stuff of legends! She’s the friend who’d love to bail you out of the local jail cell if it weren’t for the fact that she’s sharing a bunk with you. She’s very, very naughty but you are guaranteed a good time with this gal pal. Coco is that gal pal.

I was a good girl growing up. I never really snuck into bars before I turned twenty-one, I never crept out of my bedroom window for a secret rendezvous with young men, and I never took a discrete drag off some rebel’s cigarette. I was good. Once I turned twenty-one, all bets were off. Around the same time I received a bottle of Coco for my birthday. One whiff nearly knocked me down. (Keep in mind, I became of legal drinking age the same year Happy was released, so broad-shouldered divas such as Coco were no longer en vogue.) As a personal act of initiation, I wore Coco whenever I went out bar-hopping or clubbing with my friends. Older men wanted to “get to know me better” and women wanted me ousted from the various bars we frequented. Liquor has always had the dubious honor of being called “liquid courage” but, for me, that honor goes to Coco. She was hissing come-ons to the more experienced gentlemen behind my back and instigating fights with young, insecure women while I stood across the bar. She was a vixen, not for the faint of heart.

One night I got sloppily drunk while flirting with a gentleman fifteen years my senior when I decided to empty the contents of my purse. Sadly, I left behind my beloved bottle of Coco on the bar. Much time has passed since that fateful incident and I was recently reunited with a bottle of Coco (thank you fleaBay). It was like reuniting with an old friend who still looks as fabulous as ever. She still likes to stir up trouble but she’s mellowed with age, at least when she’s in my presence. I am curious if she still creates a social maelstrom when she’s out gallivanting with young girls and boys.

Right now, we’re reminiscing about that one time when we… Goodness, she was a bad girl but did we ever have such good times?!
~ Coco the Elegant Original ~
~ If Coco-M is playful and date worthy, and Coco-Noir is alluring and sexy then the original Coco is pure refined elegance. This parfum is meant to be worn by a self assured confident woman of great taste and charm. At first spray I get a strong soapy aldehyde that really catches this mans nose in a good way! As the very bright opening starts to settle down the Rose and Amber Coco require your full attention and I want to inhale all of the sillage at once. I get mostly spicy rose that is not bashful at all but it is the vanilla and tonka bean that motivates me to write this review. As always perfumes evoke images in my minds eye and in this sample I see a Audrey Hepburn or a Lauren Becall type wearing this beauty. Ladies Mr. Polge definitely gave the fragrance world a gift in this masterpiece!
Kind Regards, Plat ~
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Timeless Elegance of Chanel
There are many perfumes from 80s era that I admire for their flamboyant style even though I feel that they are too overpowering and too loud for me to wear. Not Coco. It has style, complexity and exciting flair of 80s but when I wear it I always feel like a lady, which I find true about many other Chanel scents. Coco has an edge but a classy one. It has a strong presence and character but it carried in an elegant and sophisticated way. It is sultry but well-behaved. There is not one note in the composition that I find out of place. For me it is an evening scent that goes so well with sharp-looking dress and 4-inch heels. High class and timeless.

I am always wary of usage of coriander in perfumes but in the opening of Coco, Jacques Polge masterfully mixes it with soft fruity and citrus notes. It keeps the opening interesting and unique. The jasmine note adds elegance but in no way it is overpowering or indolic here. It mingles lovely with the rest of the notes as the scent unveils slightly spicy and sultry bouquet of orange blossoms and rose. There is a lovely note of sandalwood that is noticeable right from the start. I love how it gives the scent this deep, multidimensional tone. The sandalwood and labdanum prevails in the dry down on my skin warmed up but only slightly by tonka bean and vanilla.

Overall score is 8.5/10. Elegant, complex and unique, Coco is a classic scent that I definitely recommend. The sillage and longevity is excellent. You will not need to re-apply during the evening event and might still smell it next morning.
A real troublemaker!
This never fails: Absolutely every single time I have worn Coco (vintage parfum) I have gotten more male attention than I know what to do with. I have tested it while all dressed up, dressed for business, and frankly dressed down in all frumpy glory, sweats and Uggs headed to the convenience store, stringy hair and all.
And everytime, it's the same thing: the guys are acting like I'm some kind of cat in heat releasing clouds of "f*ck me" scent, it's unbelievable.

I have tested it while out with my man, and even with his 6'6" frame looming over me, they still give me huge smiles and try to make conversation while tripping all over themselves.

The thing is, Coco is not even my favorite scent, lol. I don't believe it smells all that differently on me than it does on other women, so I cannot explain its effects because no other perfume does that, on me.
I've gotten compliments on various fragrances, sure.
But Coco is the one scent I flat out refuse to wear if I'm not ready to handle loads of male attention.

So what does it smell like?
It's an oriental built on a major amber chord, introduced by dried peaches and spices, resting on a smooth, warm leather base.
The flowers keep the scent from getting too butch, too masculine, and the musk/civet combo impart that "almost too personal" feel that has some people blush up to their ears.
But many fragrances have musk and civet in them, but not all of those act as mating juice, so WHAT is it about Coco?

It is, I believe, a spice that is missing from the above list, but that is a key player from the heart notes to the base and remains a constant throughout the entire drydown: The spice is called Cascarilla, it is originally from the Caribbean, and it is used to flavor various alcoholic drinks. Its scent is similar to some musks, albeit with a clear aromatic edge, and it is known for its euphoric and calming properties.
(depending on the dosage, it can be a tonic or a mild sedative)
But in some cultures, Cascarilla is also touted as an aphrodisiac, though I have not been able to find out if it is by ingestion or purely by olfaction.

Whatever it is, I really believe that this note, blended with the rest of the composition, is responsible for the success of Coco on the market (It was, at one time, a top seller in Europe) and the reason for so many unexplained incidents in its sillage vicinity, lol.

Licentious mischief, to say the least.
Jazz Club Chanteuse
So then, I've made a full circle! Back in 1985 when Coco was launched in South Africa, I had a part time job with the company that oversaw its release here. I participated in the launch in various department stores with great gusto, liberally dousing myself and anyone within arm's reach! The commercial played relentlessly on monitors all around the store and I became enamoured of Ines de la Fressange, Lagerfeld's muse at the time and also the face of Coco. It was around this time that I was dared to enter my first drag pageant ... Miss Gay Legs. On the way to the club a friend asked "what will you call yourself?" Drenched in Coco as I was and poured into the tightest black cocktail dress I could find (I seem to remember ruffles cascading over my right shoulder and lots of tight drapes) I barely gave it a thought and said "Ines ... of course!".

Coco is as hypnotic as it ever was! I am in a rose/wood phase at the moment and happened across a well priced EDP on Ebay. Best purchase of the year!!!

An orchestra of light peach and delicious, heady rose leads to a winding path, softly caressed by moonlight and trailing Jasmine. Dare she find out where it goes? As Coco deepens she becomes sultry and sensuous ... a wanton woman grabbing a trumpet from a player in a dimly lit Jazz club. She kicks off her black suede stiletto's and climbs atop a table ... wet red lips serenading the night with dripping tones.

Ok Ok ... so I have an overactive immagination LOL. Isn't that what fragrance is supposed to do?
OMG. I love Coco.
I put Coco on in the morning, took a shower mid-day, and I still can pick it up on my skin 12 hours later. Unbelievable.

Such a classic, such a winner. The EdP is just a tad OILY, otherwise it would be perfect. Every perfumista must at least sample this once.

No. 19 & Coco are the only 2 Chanels that speak to me. I luv them & own part bottles of each which I bought from a member - I think that's most affordable that way to start with Chanels, and it guarantees authenticity if you trust the seller. In other words, don't get your Chanel on fleabay unless you know what you're doing. *smh*

19 Mar 2011
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
Warm Side of Chanel
it's warm elegant and it's a league apart
from the other Chanels. 95% of all Chanel perfume
have a cold metallic aldehyde note, this one doesn't it's warm with the opening of
spicy coriander orange blossoms semi-sweet
mandarin oranges with the predominant note
of juicy peach that which dominates Coco
Chanel with nocturnal jasmine and delicate rose.

Mimose dries the middle note cloves with
it's pungent scent clover with it's earthy greenish note then it become deeper and more resinous with the opening of warm and sweetish amber labdanum petals sandalwood dry with arid
texture tonka bean makes it grounded
and of course civet the animalistic
styling finishes this scent beautifully.

This was made in the 1980's but it has a
austere 1940's elegance in a time when there was Wartime shortages simple tailored elegance broad shoulders ala Joan Crawford clean lines and that what
Chanel wanted simple and elegant nothing
ultra feminine girlie with bright flowers just chic independent womanhood.
A 1980s masterpiece that is still relevant today
This classic and timeless fragrance is jawdroppingly beautiful and complex. I am fortunate to have the edp, and I wouldn't trade that bottle for anything.

It's been said a thousand times, but Coco's gorgeous opening consists of a perfect blend of peach, spice, and rose.

The heart blossoms gradually, with a soft rose note leading the way. The spiciness continues, but shifts to a gentle clove, and is accompanied by the freshness of orange blossom. It is hard to separate the notes here, because they are so brilliantly intertwined, but in time, the rose and mimosa sinuously wind their tendrils into the rich base.

The labdanum in this thick, resiny base contributes to its sweet amber texture. The presence of civet (not overdone!) reminds you that although Coco is masterfully crafted, she remains untamed.

No one should be without Coco.
Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Elegance in a bottle
Chanel has had its ups and downs with me over the years, yet the older I become, the more I appreciate their diverse range of classics. Coco was a surprise when I wore it for the first time. It settled on my skin like Coco and I were meant to be.

Clove is the most dominant note in this composition, yet it is presented in a way that is very hard to resist. The scent is almost delicious, like something I'd assume is edible. The white floral accords counteract nicely with the spices I find, providing a rich warmth and a hint of elegance.

All that talk about Coco being a mature scent is a pile of hogwash. I adore it and I'm young and wild as the wind itself. The scent also lasts and lasts. I have been known to sleep the whole night and wake up with Coco still lingering quite strongly on my wrist before my morning shower. With longevity like this it deserves to be commended.

The drydown was absolutely divine on my skin with a beautiful blend of rich vanilla, making this fragrance's composition the result of a very talented and masterful perfumer.
Not a Chanel Fan
Coco has attitude! She is like one of those people that dont break the rules, but they are so close to doing so that it drives you crazy!

When I put her on in the morning she attacked me several times, hitting me with notes coming out of nowhere for several hours. This abuse continued till she got tired and settled into the typical Chanel notes grumbling in the corner for the rest of the day.

Sillage: Great
Longevity: 8hr+

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel - Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel - Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Les Exclusifs de Chanel - Beige (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel