Coco 1984 Eau de Parfum

Top 18 in Women's Perfume
Coco (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1984. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin orangeMandarin orange PimentoPimento CorianderCoriander FrangipaniFrangipani
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmineJasmine RoseRose Orange blossomOrange blossom Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang CinnamonCinnamon IrisIris AngelicaAngelica
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli Tonka beanTonka bean BenzoinBenzoin FrankincenseFrankincense AmberAmber MuskMusk HoneyHoney CivetCivet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.05.2022.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Coco (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Metallic Coriander, Clove and 80s Patchouli
The opening is lush, vibrant and bright with Orange, Coriander and Earthy Patchouli. It does have a nice floral heart of Jasmine and sweet Rose. It has a lot of depth and it evolves a lot and smells very natural. But there is a a bitterness from that Patchouli and Coriander that I don't particularly like. It does have a lovely waft of Orange blossom and florals that shines occasionally. But the backbone is a little bitter and acidic for me. It does have that 80s roughness to the formulation. Also not a fan of that Clove note. It's well blended and smells expensive. But it's a little too skanky for me with too much balsamic resins on the dry down.

Oh oh, Coco
Some resinous materials have acid overtones.(1) These off notes can be felt when resins or balsamics are used in large quantities, and their unpleasant effects can be prominent in what Arctander calls ambra(1) perfumes. When this happens it’s
common for perfumers to hide or disguise the offending notes.

Coco doesn’t try to hide its acid overtone but instead (like Youth-Dew) it aims to
disguise it, in this case with a spicy accord, which also has peppery and burnt sugar tonalities. These are backed up by the gritty indole of orange flower, and the woody, earthy, spicy and camphoraceous elements of patchouli.(2)

Because ambra constructions tend to be base heavy they are long and linear. And this is the case with Coco. The acid overtone stretches way down into the body, making Coco feel a bit purse-lipped after a while, although there is a powdery sandal and
balsam note in the drydown which softens it up a little.

There’s some sweetness, but it’s kept well back (for an amber) and overall, Coco feels dry and acid-sour as much as sweet. This is a brave and admirable ploy on the part of Chanel and Jacques Polge, or it may have been they were just making a virtue of
necessity; but all the same, I find it rather stark, and starkness isn’t something I look for in an amber.

(Vintage sample, nearly empty)

(1) Steffen Arctander – Perfume and Flavor Materials of Natural Origin
(2) thegoodscentscompany.com
The scent of gold
Chanel's greatest oriental flowers:
Flows of spices (coriander and cloves) under a floral mantle of absolutes of rose, mimosa and orange blossom.
On the bottom, we find opoponax, which adds a resinous aspect to the perfume, patchouli and civet.
It bears similarities to the other great oriental spiced released seven years earlier, Opium YSL.
But in Coco Chanel we find weaker spices than Opium and more pronounced dark florals and a velvety, silky, smoky rose.
An immense masterpiece that bears the signature of Jacques Polge under the direction of the genius Karl Lagerfel ( recently arrived at the helm of the house in 1984),
It perfectly embodies the scent of gold and the legendary 80s
This is a great masterpiece for all nostalgics of opulent perfumes like me ? The review refers to the vintage EDP version (1980s).
catty neighbor of Gaby's on Desperate Housewives
About the bottle you do not need to say much, looks nice noble, simple.

But this fragrance... my goodness.
You really have to like. Oriental, spicy triffts exactly. It is subtly floral, but for my sensation really spicy. I like it rather sweet, powdery, oriental. Fragrances that go more in the direction of Manifesto, Hypnotic.
You I got as a gift, you would not have been my choice - never, ever.

This spice and maturity makes me fall into a scenario. I'm sitting on my porch, drinking a glass of wine, and laughing out loud at the drama in my neighborhood - like Desperate Housewives. This scent would probably be the character "Bree."

I would have never bought this fragrance as a 25-year-old. Trying to make it a little sweeter by layering other scents. Durability and sillage are top, but as said such fragrances you really have to like and can wear.

Chanelle
Who doesn't love the '80s?
Well, I certainly do. The music was never better, the shoulders never wider and the hair never higher The fragrances, and that's what we're talking about here, were (at least the ones I know from that more-is-more era) all powerhouses.
Coco, the oriental offspring of the Chanels, I have always approached cautiously, because my first acquaintance with her...well, it did not go so smoothly. I found her too sweet, too opium, not Chanelli-chic. That wasn't helped by the sweet commercials featuring the sugary, blood-young Vanessa as the bird of paradise that later begat current Chanel spokesmodel Lily Rose Depp with Johnny, the Sauvage frontman and sadly probably unemployed pirate of the Caribbean. Hah, all picture-perfect: daddy, mommy, Chanel baby daughter.
It was time to head out for my vintage EdP splash. (I had first toyed with the idea of deflowering the extrait by breaking the seal, but remembered the movie Artifical Intelligence, in which Coco's extrait plays a very tragic role, and I let it go for now.)
As sometimes happens with splashes when you haven't decanted into a spray flacon, or learned to dab instead of pour, I guess I horribly overdosed.
Whereupon I smelled myself for 2 days after Coco EdP, and partly my fellow men and everything that came too close to me, too.
But that's not bad - because Coco led me with a firm hand through all the feelings and impressions of these approx 48 hours, in which even shower and corona-conform walks could not harm the fragrance veil.
Of course, the scent has hardly been different from my first tests, some of which were many years ago, but now I guess I feel it differently, understand it. After all, I have also taken a bath in it, that convinces the biggest doubters.
Still it's very oriental-spicy, with a fair amount of sweetness. Opium is also still a relative. But Antaeus is in there too, that slight cough syrup note I always found so sexy in vintage. Incense and Shalimar also flash (my ass, Le Lion is Chanel's first Shalimar fragrance twin.)
But overall, the fragrance is still a typical one of this house. It never reaches the overpresence of Opium, my recently deceased beloved mom's favorite scent, which she always wanted you to smell from afar. It also never gets as sticky sweet as many of today's gourmands, nor as synthetic. It's softer and gentler than any of the Orientals of the oud era, and it's incredibly sexy, in an 80s sort of way: not overbearing, but not to be denied. Very edgy and confident,
free and wild. Like a bird of paradise...
Vogue2011
Cute... She's so incredibly sweet...
Since I was 13, Coco has been as present in my mother's bathroom as altar boys are in a Catholic service...

Today, it amazes me. Normally I always heard:" Too sweet I do not like."
Monsieur Polge must have somehow managed to manipulate my mother's nose forever ;-)
She uses the fragrance regularly, and as soon as the last third in the bottle is recognizable it is automated: "Order me that again."

Self-deception as the most beautiful deception? ;-) Coco is for me above all one thing: SWEET! And exactly the zeitgeist of the mid-eighties sprung, always as a model carrier the ladies from "Denver Clan" before eyes ;-)

The fragrance polarizes, takes up space, but despite everything never seems "cheap" or "to much", it is a given authority he possesses and of which he was probably never aware, it IS SIMPLE SO.
All too sensitive "noses" however, can easily panic under this olfactory personality ;-) But, to a COCO, this only reinforces his aura:
"Here I am, here I stay. One shows me the doubter of it."

A little user manual for those who want to scent themselves beyond the confines of Southfork Ranch:

Apply the appropriate body lotion and then the fragrance as a veil to top it off.
You will make the air shimmer ;-)
NikEy
A summer evening dream...
A year ago, I would never have dared to try a women's scent just like that. Especially not from one of the perfume houses par excellence. Today, I have reached a point where the external classification of which gender a fragrance or perfume is supposed to fit to is hardly important anymore. And so lately one or the other fragrance has crept into my collection, which was actually designed for the ladies.

Why I chose Coco as the fragrance from my sample collection today, on one of the warmest summer days and evenings, is rather a stroke of luck. A spontaneous intuition overnight, supported by many great comments and me not sure why the fragrance classification here refers to perfume almost only to autumn/winter - I don't remember Coco from previous tests. And I'm also surprised that hardly anyone here has pointed out how great the Chanel wears in summer!
No sooner said than done. Coco opens with such a beautiful juicy peach as I have rarely smelled before. Though not listed in the pyramid, this fruit association seems to be established by the fresh notes and the flowers. On my skin, the scent hardly seems sweet, little powdery and has only a very, very slender ambergris. On the contrary, the peach is quickly joined by a fantastic, sandy jasmine, which gives the fragrance an accord like sun-tanned, warm skin. More and more, the delicately spicy nuances come to the fore, even if peach remains present until the fragrance disappears. Patchouli in the base is the earliest I can identify, of sweet or opulent ambry, cinnamon or tonka, Coco is - as I said - for me far away.

And so fruity, flowery and spicy Coco carries me through the sun in this weather. Seems absolutely dry and never overloaded, carries me into the sunset to become one with the orange clouds, which in this mood perfectly reflect the scent of coco.

So once again, a women's scent lands on my wish list. And please: a little appeal to all owners: let Coco on your tanned, sun-tanned skin! Try out what heat does to this scent jewel and how it makes the fruit shine and the jasmine blossoms dry And to the gentlemen: if you are looking for a fruity and spicy fragrance, you will find more than enough here. Just don't tell anyone you're wearing the big Chanel...
Beautiful classic
Today I would like to break a benevolent lance for a great classic. A very opulent deep fragrance with long aftertaste, woody component with floral notes, vanilla, tonka bean and honey give it an inimitable sensuality that glides very slowly into your interior and lingers there for a very long time. I see him on a dark-haired woman who is very self-confident and curious about life. He radiates strength, strength are a dark beauty - his durability is incredibly long...
I feel it warm, very profound and present. You don't spill this lady who wears one of these. Noble, precious and exclusive - that's how she is. She is not young of years but young of heart and spirit, has much to tell and captivates us with her beautiful eyes that have seen so much. She loves to present her stories and little secrets perfectly. A fascinating female being. You should let this classic into your life sometime because it is so special.
Coco chanel vintage
There are brackets of social, cultural, economic, literary and thus olfactory history that contain the condensation of unaltered moments, the main representative of which very often is a perfume.
We do not refer to a simple perfume that corresponds to the mythical decade of the 80s (opulent, opulent and sensual), but speak here of an olfactory firmament with the name Chanel.
If we want, this firmament was quite a pioneer, because while we maintain a fundamental interpretation derived from many other masterpieces from which it emerges, we certainly find a new introduction that is tacitly revolutionary and has never screamed as it often has The perfume was marketed in 1984, a historic and very important moment for perfumes, because we can already see the impressive rise of the two oriental-spicy reference fragrances that had already written history and inevitably shaped it (Opium 1977 by YSL and Zinnober 1978) Estee lauder) The myth of oriental perfume had already emerged in the West, but with opium and cinnabar we see a "pure" Orient created by the obvious desire to challenge the sense of smell with rivers of cloudy and smoky spices, resins and balms, the demarcation of which also led to feminine perfume then difficult. While Coco represented the developed East, a concept of the Frenchized East, a deviation from the road that the various noses had followed until then
The perfume was composed by the great master perfumer Jacques Polge, who is worthy of the heirs of the mythical Henry Robert (genius creator in the N19), who perhaps faces the greatest project assigned to him by Chanel. It was his first work on a female perfume by Chanel (since he had already composed a masculine for Chanel in 1981; Antaeus).
The expectations were high, because the fashion house emerged from a very critical historical moment, as it was only a year ago taken up by the genius Karl Lagerfeld, who can restart and interpret it under a modern and iconic key (concepts that the Maison had already lost). .
The perfume fully describes this moment of great enthusiasm, because if the perfume was marketed as an interpretation of the spirit of Chanel, we can also say that this olfactory exercise forever photographs the spirit of a brand that is no longer represented by the great designer Gabriel Chanel, but by a genius A visionary who, while maintaining his original style code, annoys everyone with exits on the catwalk that are so far removed from the rigid, linear and noble cannons of the Maison.
In fact, this olfactory masterpiece, which I would like to call an amber-coloured florietal, will no longer keep the spicy aspect raw and angular as with cinnabar and opium, but will contain almost soft and velvety rounded spices. Certainly, the amber background is what distinguishes the perfume from other oriental spices. A fund built with a disarming mastery and the use of natural resources associated with other synthetic natures. What is immediately noticeable in the sense of smell when analyzing the underlying structure is the extremely rare sandal Mysore (Coco I will be one of the last scents they actually contain), Opoponax, Amber and Labdanum, which thicken the scent in a harmonious and condensed scent.
Despite the fact that the ground is already one of the highest, the true olfactory revolution is found between the head and heart notes, because if we want to immediately give a spicy eyelash with coriander, cloves and clover on the one hand, we find the central flower of the entire composition on the other: La Rosa. An alcoholic rose, vinous, amber-coloured and fruity at the same time. The peach and the rose will make this a true masterpiece, it is a rose that, while retaining its dark and spicy connotation, is permeated by its intimate essence of a ripe and juicy peach. (Far from the mythical Guerlain exercise with Nahema)
When we return to the amber base, which is shiny, dazzling and gilded and makes the fragrance soft and velvety, we see that there are various aspects that make it possible to build such a work. If on the one hand we find an excellent quality of natural raw materials (the absolute floral triptych: rose, mimosa and orange blossoms), on the other hand we see the use of an imported quantity of synthetic materials. In this case, the ingredients of the synthetic formula differ, among them: Edione, iso and super, methylionone, eugenol (already contained in cloves, which are then severely restricted over the years by the ifra regulations), coumarin and various salicylates. Amylsalicylate and benzylsalicylate with hydroxycitronellal (which gives a green, acidic and radiant smell similar to the olfactory sharpness of lime blossoms) are used for the amber and resin base The result is a baroque, opulent and ultra perfume where the juxtaposition of the floral component (semi-fruity) with the resinous amber part creates a balance of golden opulence, mattness and radiance. All this fully corresponded to the dizzying excerpts of the women of that time, including the amount of jewels and the amount of hair. All this was the expression of an era in which everything was too strongly expressed because, unlike today, we were separated from olfactory and cultural flattening.
Once upon a time..
... a child who was terribly afraid of school.

Nobody told anyone anything about it so as not to get more trouble, not to be more of a target.
The secretiveness cost it strength, the false smile, so that his parents did not have to worry.

The teachers, who should have noticed how much the child suffered and was bullied by his classmates, looked away or got involved.

Every morning the child had a stomachache, his legs barely managed to pedal his bike, which would take him much faster to the place of his daily ordeal.

Day after day, year after year, it waited eagerly for the weekends to recharge its batteries for the next week, even more desperately for the holidays in which the panic and pain would disappear for at least a while.

7 long years full of fear, which still haunt the child today, what is no longer a child for a long time, because every prank, every teasing that happens again to the child's children tears open the wounds again, transforms it into a berserk, who in his rage would like to wipe every person responsible for this pain off the map.

This child lives very deeply hidden inside me and normally I can forget, I want to forget that it is there.
But as soon as I had sprayed Coco on, it began to tremble, to cry, tried to make itself very small, to disappear.
I felt the old panic creeping up in me, suddenly I could smell chalk and table sponges, hear the clattering of many children's feet, feel the gloating laughter, whatever was meant for me, how someone looks over my shoulder during the class test and makes a derogatory remark about it loudly.

Maybe it was a teacher who wore that scent, it almost has to be.
I'm sorry, but I can't describe Coco neutrally.

He smells like fear to me.

CumulnimbusCumulnimbus 5 months ago
Shiny, spicy, dense, ambery, sensual, celebratory perfume. Always takes me back to late 80's family meetings; rejoycing, sparkling laughter.
CatarinaCatarina 3 years ago
Coco is a scent of a unique flair all throughout the fragrance evolution. It is opulent, exquisite and full of a captivating personality.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
Coco is an oriental delight and one of the most alluring scents used by my wife. It's better and less expensive than a marriage counselor.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
Cherchez la femme! This is a very classy concentrate of seduction and charm : spicy, warm, a little bitter. a femme fatale's scent.I love it
LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
A beautifully balanced yet still lush, spicy, fruity oriental. Less about single notes or spices. More a rich warming golden wrap. Lovely.

by IrisNobile
.... eine kleine Hommage ....
Coco vor der Alten Oper
Räuberkiste voller Schätze.
by Lucy55
by Hexana
by Hexana
by Blödel
Fresh21 / Photo Challenge (Pfew almost didn’t make it)
by IoanaP
Mein Duft für festliche Anlässe
by MadameLegras
Mit diesem letzten Bild wünsche ich Euch allen ein schönes Osterwochenende.
by Gandix
by Cincy
by Cincy
by ClarasTante
by ClarasTante
Apropos Kindheitserinnerungen:Wer kennt noch die Gut-Zettel aus der 1.und 2.Klasse. Bei zehn gab's ein Bildchen, ähnlich dem oben.
by Gandix
by KittyGlitter
by Automatix
by Automatix

Popular by Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Parfum) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel 1957 by Chanel