Coco (1984)Eau de Toilette

Top 13 in Women's Perfume
Coco (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 1984. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Submitted by Auenduft, last update on 28.05.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Coco (Parfum) by Chanel, which differs in concentration.

Scent of my childhood
If I had to describe a fragrance in colours, this fragrance would be beige for me. So warm and elegant, light and heavy at the same time. The fragrance accompanied me my whole childhood and is connected with many great memories. At that time my mother got this scent for my birth and since then it is a "heirloom" in our family.

The fragrance starts out wonderfully oriental and develops so cuddly softly over the course of time. Even with the EDT a few sprayers are enough to be wrapped in a cozy warmth all day long. This fragrance is for me the epitome of a classic, elegant woman. Besides a few other fresh scents (like Jour d'hermes absolu) this EDT is a "Rich Women" scent, very feminine, sexy and chic.

Coco has also arrived in my generation, but I still find him too mature in me, with my fresh 26 years. This wonderful fragrance is more for mature women, not for teenagers
Coco, my classic
Coco (EdT) is one of those fragrances that have been with me for a long time. Sometime in the 80's I discovered him for myself. Since then - if he left me at short notice - he has moved in with me again and again.

Admittedly, I used it more often at the time, it was something like an early signature. In the meantime it is THE classic night scent for me, reserved for very special occasions. For me he combines perfectly and unmistakably the warmth and heaviness of his oriental notes with his impressive floral scents. For me, he is the one of all "classical Orientals" from that time with whom I still feel comfortable today. All the others (opium, must etc.) are now much too violent for me. With Coco it's different, Coco never gets loud, I can still wear Coco well today and always feel good.

Coco starts with me right away with his typical flowery-oriental note. Nevertheless, he remains very pleasant in his unmistakable manner and never becomes intrusive. Eben Chanel.

For me, it is the epitome of a sophisticated classic fragrance that will never go out of fashion and will always have a place of honour with me
I feel comfortable in...COCO - a comparison EdT/EdP
My coco. Eau de Parfum has accompanied me for a long time in good and bad times and even if I find it difficult to use it sparingly, this fragrance in the EdP version requires unconditional caution when applying it. All too often it has happened to my nose, which has long been used to this wonderful substance, that I used too much of it. 4 sprayers... WUSCHHHHHH...and even if I love him, the approaching armies of spices overrun me, balsamic honey drips out of every pore and I get between all fronts in the Rose War.
That's why the Eau de Toilette had to come here now and it keeps what the occurrences promise, since the descriptions of you committed perfumers gave me this idea at all.
Shortly after the application I notice a very beautiful fruitiness at the EdT. Not quite as liqueurishly palatable as with EdP, but lighter, somehow airier. The EdT is also pleasantly reduced in the seasoning. The honey is integrated in a wonderfully luxuriant flower bouquet and thus the EdT radiates feminine spicy warmth without exaggerating. The silage of the EdT is pleasantly close to the body (0.5 - 1 m) and the durability of my skin can be compared to that of the EdP (10+ hours). There is nothing that pricks, scratches or falls out of the frame in the nose. Chapeau, Chapeau!!! - because the Eau de Toilette has passed the everyday test with flying colours. It lures with sensual spices, a love-drunk rose and a dreamlike base (I hear a kitten purring...), is pleasantly silky in texture and airier than the EdP. This lightness regenerates the fragrance, gives it youthfulness and makes it extremely attractive for future generations. The bottle is easy to handle and simply "chaneleuse" in its simple elegance.

The eau de parfum is for me the scent for the evening, to go out. Opulent, sensual, sexy - pure femininity is celebrated here.

For me, both versions have found a firm place in the collection. Thank you, Chanel.

Emotion in a bottle!
I absolutely love this one! A warm, spicy, sensual oriental. I love how this smells. In fact I actually think this is unisex. Cloves, Spices, Amber, dark resins, creamy sandalwood, I can see this totally working on a man. I also see this much in the same way that I would something by Serge Lutens (whose perfumes are very rich and heady and are inspired by Morocco).

The fragrance itself opens up to me with a blast of cloves, I also get a type of orange blossom smell, and peach or plum (dried fruit accord). I also detect Jasmine, and Jasmine is actually my favorite smell. There is also some prominent rose, but the base is where it all happens; resins, amber, vanilla and tonka, dry sandalwood... it's all there, and it's very very evocative!

I've heard that Jacues Polge wanted to evoke Venice with this perfume (just as Shalimar was inspired by India and Opium by the Middle East and Southeast Asia etc.), and I can totally see Venice in this. Italian, Baroque and also Oriental, with spices and rich, warm sensuality. Jaques Polge himself would later refine the spices (along with more wood, leather and tobacco) to create his eventual masterpiece "Egoïste" released 6 years after Coco.

I remember trying the female Opium EDP and I think this is a lot more wearable for those who couldn't wear that. It's Chanel, and a Chanel is never too loud, it knows just when to stop and hold you there, without being too loud or overpowering. In fact to my nose Coco is like a spicy, exotic, oriental version of No. 5; and just like No. 5, it makes a statement. It's grown up, it's mature, but also sensual and in-control. It's for someone who knows a little about life and is experienced both in mind and body. Someone who isn't afraid to be who they are, instead they celebrate it.

I don't know if that description helps, but that's what Coco brings across to me. Warm, sensual, passionate, loving and even a little amount of danger at the edges. It takes guts to wear this, but it's totally worth it. Pure Emotion in a bottle.
2.5

Deep look of the queen
This deep, special purple fragrance casts a spice bomb in your face. Then its staring at you with slow pleasure, looks on your stupor with sensual smile.

COCO EDT was created definitely for women. It is sweet, dangerous, tipical night-scent, and can be compared only to Poison or Opium in complexity. After obtaining you, it is calming down a bit, jasmine and cold cream are clouding, later on clean soapyness, and at the end – as coronation of the queen – spices unfold and reign.

Endurance: more than 7 hours on my skin. Sillage: no complaints.

Cozy EdT
I don't know why, but the EdP version doesn't jive with me. The EdT, on the other hand, is like my dream spicy perfume. Not too spicy like Opium (which is beautiful but a bit much for me), but soft spices, sort of like peaches poached in brandy and cloves. It's this golden amber ambrosia kind of scent. I think the EdT is softer, muskier, and more powdery than the EdP. And for a "less concentrated" perfume, it's awfully potent, lasting many enjoyable hours.

I find it difficult to wear strong spices during the day. The EdT is my perfect spicy perfume because I think it's so casual that I could easily wear it day or night. Beautiful.

Summary: Spiced liquid gold

by Ergreifend
by NikkRouse10
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Chanel

Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 1957 by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Allure Sensuelle (Parfum) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel 31 Rue Cambon (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel