Coco Noir 2012 Eau de Parfum

Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-oriental. It is still available to purchase.
Scent goes well with Poison Girl (Eau de Parfum)

Jacques Polge

Tonka beanTonka bean
VanillaVanilla
FrankincenseFrankincense
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by Elchen50, last update on 02.10.2021.

(K) a Chanel for beginners
If someone like me, who is a self-confessed gourmand lover, likes a fragrance that couldn't be more dissimilar to a gourmand, then that must mean something. Style(l) and secretly it has crept into my heart and into my collection, this beautiful, cool, graceful and strong Boss-Lady fragrance.

I got Coco Noir as a bottling a few months ago in the course of a swap. I expected me not much, since I did not know the fragrance and with Chanel anyway never warmed up, except with "Chance eau tendre edt". In the meantime came actually still "Allure edp" and the Crowdpleaser par excellence "Coco Mademoiselle" to it, but of this another time more.
Coco noir so. On parfumo the fragrance notes and statements skimmed. Does not sound like something that corresponds to my Beuteschema, even if I quite Freshies, Fruities, ledriges and creamy-spicy like. However, the vanilla and tonka bean in the fragrance made me curious, as they are some of my favorite scents. How well would I smell them out? Also, the bottle immediately appealed to me as a little packaging victim.

Sprayed on, waited. Puuuhhh, immediately cool, earthy patchouli hit me, mixed with citrus and roses. Not really a nice combo for me, the incense came quickly to it and made the first impression also not better. It smelled - except for the missing aldehydes - very definitely "Coco chanellig". Elegant, classy, classic, chic and timeless, with a certain coolness and superiority, and a slightly pungent aftertaste. I'd like to reiterate that I don't just have a nose glued to vanilla, I'll give almost any genre a chance, and have been pleasantly surprised many a time. I knew this scent was beautifully composed and the notes fluidly woven together, but somehow it didn't suit me. Too cool, too adult (or even mature).
Some time later, I kept noticing a feathery, luxurious-smelling scent that was cool yet warm at the same time. Since I had only tested Coco noir that morning and so it could only be this one, I was all the more surprised at how subtle it had become. The patchouli drags almost to the base, but becomes lighter and more pleasant. The rose moves to the background but still resonates perceptibly, as do the citrus notes. The incense has become a supporting actor, but I can still smell out the citrus notes.
Directly vanilla I can not name in the drydown, but a pleasant, floral creaminess with a touch of spice, really hard to describe.
The bottle is jet black, but the fragrance is not. He is not unfriendly, but still rather distant. There are no third chances with the woman who wears it, 2 at most, then you've blown it and she ignores you completely. She doesn't waste her time with people who aren't worth discussing with.

To me, this perfume exudes all of the above attributes, but also a certain strength and reliability. This is a fragrance I reach for with determination, there is no second guessing. Either it's a noir day or it's not, there are no compromises, the fragrance doesn't make them either. I wear it when the sun is shining, but also when it's cold and cloudy. In terms of sillage and durability, I am very satisfied, 3 sprays accompany me through the day, he does not let me hang and I feel strong and a bit unapproachable.

Coco noir is not a "Mmmhhh, you smell good!" in terms of floral powdery sweet friendliness. It's a strong statement, more of a "Wow, what are you wearing that's great?"
And, what really amazes me: my husband likes it too, even though the scent is rather atypical for me. No, not every man is exclusively on vanilla scents. Sometimes it just has to be a boss-lady scent. After all, we women are a strong gender.
Janessa
"Je suis la Noire de Chanel...
... and anyone who doesn't realize that is out of luck."
Now this wonderful fragrance has moved in with me.
Zesty and slightly fresh in the opening, he shows shortly thereafter, where it goes. To the dark side of the moon. Or even to the dark side of the earth. So to the evening or to the night.

I've noticed that some don't see the scent as "noir" at all, and that's perfectly fine. I guess everyone perceives it differently. Compared but to many other bright fresh and cheerful Chanel fragrances, which I was allowed to test so far, but this is definitely "noir": something dark, mystical and spicy, without being (semi-)floriental, such as Coco (Mademoiselle). The high concentration of patchouli certainly has no small part in this. Those who know Coco Mademoiselle will recognize the finely balanced patch in Coco Noir. Nevertheless, both perfumes are very different.

Coco Noir is not necessarily the classic all-rounder with me, but fits for me especially well in the evening, for fancy dining, cocktail drinking but also for more special formal occasions. It underlines the elegant wardrobe.
If I wear him times during the day (as today, for example), then simply because I just totally feel like the fragrance. Otherwise, it fits through its fine heaviness also very well in the colder season.
On me he holds about 7-8 hours, which I feel is quite sufficient. Well perceptible I am for my fellow men also, without me slaying them.

It's also one of the Chanels that doesn't make me feel older or more mature than I am. I'm sure it can be worn well by men too, as it's neither sweet nor too floral
Shall I dare?
In search of a new fragrance, I once again browsed all online perfumeries, as I have done so many times before. It was February this year, it was cold outside and I didn't really know what I was looking for. Something that makes me dream of summer? Or something for the gloomy season after all?

One or the other knows it perhaps too well. You want to be inspired, read all the reviews, watch videos on YouTube...At that time, the perfumeries here were closed. Should I dare to buy a new fragrance blind?

My eyes wandered up and down the website until they suddenly paused.
A small black bottle, unassuming yet so elegant, winked at me. Should I take a chance?

Three days later, I was on my bike heading for the post office. It was cold and the wind was whipping at my face. The usual scenario. Get in line, show ID, sign.
With the package under my arm I ran back out into the cold, back to my bike and disposed of the box.
To be honest, this had been my first real blind purchase. I had not even looked at the notes, nor read reviews or anything else about it. Solely the associations, after all, the fragrance is called Noir and I love the darkness, have seduced me to buy.

It was slowly getting dark and finally I dared, before my way home, to give two sprays on my jacket.
And there it was indeed - the darkness, the depth, the mysteriousness; and yet quite different from what I had imagined.
All the way home I tried to classify the scent, it did smell very "Chanel-ish", but not as tamed as Coco Mademoiselle and yet it exudes a certain youth with it.
Maybe it was just the adrenaline of really buying a fragrance blind, or the cold wind outside that almost put me under its spell, or the little black bottle winking at me in my bike basket....
4.5

A sad disappointment.
I really wanted to like Coco Noir. The bottle has remained in my dreams since it launched in 2012, and I remember running out to John Lewis to sniff it almost 10 years ago. At that time my nose was slightly repulsed by it, and all things Chanel. Fast forward to 2021 where I am now in love with Coco Mademoiselle Intense and Gabrielle Essence, I thought maybe my nose has matured. Although it has in some respects, not when it comes to this fragrance.

First I will cover performance. On my skin it is a skin scent. To get any sort of scent bubble or projection I would have to over spray this to a point that I would become dizzy from the amount of alcohol I would be inhaling. It's sub eau de toilette concentration and projection in my opinion. Let's move on to longevity. Abysmal. On a tester strip this performs reasonably in terms of longevity, you do still need to insert the strip some way into your nostril to smell anything, but the fragrance is still there. On skin, less than 2 hours and it is completely gone.

On to the fragrance scent itself. "Basic, smells like a nondescript fragrance" - a direct quote from my partner, who's sentiments I do share. Its musky slightly vanillic undertone can be detected throughout, growing in intensity shortly after the fresh burst of grapefruit, citrus and alcohol fade. The jasmine and rose then start to come through but faintly, very very faintly. It maybe due to the patchouli being a bit over prominent in the heart of this fragrance. This whole dance, a dull dance at that, ends 2 hours after it began. There are far better performing fragrances with a similar note profile, with the oils better blended and they do not end up smelling like unscented body butter or old ladies soap.

All good things come in 4
So, first of all I would like to thank the very nice Atalanta89, who sent me a bottling of Coco Noir. Thank you, dear
The first impression:
Like almost all Chanel's, this one also exerts an attraction on me and I had to test it immediately when it was put into circulation. I dismissed him as strange and odd. Typical Chanel DNA, unmistakable! Some kind of unimaginative mix, because I could smell out his entire family of fragrances. The pedigree has been discussed here several times. There was the grandmother, sorry, please don't take this as a bad thing, No.5, the Mama Allure and the little daughter Coco Mademoiselle (whom I adore in the original version), only Coco Noir I couldn't assign exactly to the family branch. Maybe the stepsister?! In another commentary she is titled a cousin. It doesn't matter, it will definitely find its buyers, the raven black flacon already attracts you magically and you are willing to test it.

The second impression:
The AF of the dear Parfuma arrived and was directly under the magnifying glass. Not again, why do I feel you so cold and distant, you are really prickly towards me. Pictures of Anna Wintour in a black Chanel Haute-Couture costume with oversized sunglasses and accurate bob hairstyle pass me by. Although, the devil is wearing Prada, but anyway, different subject. The black coco was packed again.

The 3rd impression:
Today I'm already the whole day cleaning and sorting, both arms sprayed from top to bottom with test material, you know how it is. Coco Noir once again discovered and applied to the last free spot on the left wrist. I fight my way through my chaos and again and again a unique scent blows towards me. In the rapid selection procedure it turns out that it is clearly Madame Noir. Hmmm, strange. Can he change like that? I can't clearly name individual notes even now, I only know that it smells absolutely warm and soft, so delicious and yummy. Not at all cool and forbidding. But still we don't fit together. Why on earth? She's so elegant and grown-up. Even though I have a few years on my back, Coco Noir is still too big for me...I would still have to grow into it. Just like when I was little and played princess with mum's too big pumps! They were huge for my feet!

I've been smelling on my hand all day, so the durability is ok in any case, but don't think it leaves a killer silage! I gave up and put it away for now! Maybe some time has to pass and who knows, maybe it ignites with the 4th impression! Because it's beautiful...

Elegant but not noir
Coco Noir starts with me citrus-fresh through the orange and the bergamot. Then it becomes flowery, with no single flowers to be seen. Straight, rose and jasmine are listed in the fragrance pyramid. In the background I can perceive delicate vanilla, patchouli and a hint of incense. Elegant, I think. It matches the little black one with the golden purse. He shines bright and friendly, "Noir" I do not find him at all. I can well imagine this scent for going out to a bar, a concert or a restaurant. Now a suitable piece of music is still missing. "Lost but Won" by Hans Zimmer doesn't fit. It has to be piano music! The Impromptu in G flat minor by Schubert with its sound cascades is a perfect match. Passionate, carried and full of joy, Coco Noir accompanies me like this music.
Hirondelle
Wisu denn blus? Wisu does she su? Underground caramel wash line
I want to want to like you! But wanting to like is not enough... I have a problem that also extends to other Chanel fragrances (e.g. Allure), please tell me what is happening here. After a pleasant prelude and after several sniffings something sticks to my mouth (yes! in my mouth!!) like too old caramel au beurre salé on the upper palate. Like a clothesline between the ears (unfortunately without having added washing powder), it tastes (yes! tastes!!) musty, sticky, so I can't stand it anymore! Does anyone else feel the same way? Recently I had to get up at night to scrub off the paste (plus mouth rinse afterwards, because of the caramel washing line on the palate). It makes me so sad because I have the feeling that I am somehow denied the good, the beautiful of the fragrance. Perhaps a beautiful scent, which I would like to sniff at others, but for a scent, which I want to dig myself into, with which I want to "sleep" as if it were part of my soul (or would give it for a certain time what it lacks), that is not possible for me with this one. Like a hopeful encounter that suddenly becomes unpleasant and makes me want to get out of my skin. Too bad. Or to put it pathetically, it's just like some people: Those that don't do you any good should be let go as soon as possible.
Free entrance, in the tent of Madame Bauvery
The dark skirt of the lady Chanel,
he always attracted me and made black shine softly, not brightly.

Coco Noir embraces you and cares like a mama,
until all of a sudden she wants to do you laundry, a crazy combi, really the hammer.

A black cuddly cat where bad luck never comes to mind,
yet her slightly poisonous kiss is like a slap on your floppy chin.

Formerly a hippie, now a bomb of good standing,
she knows exactly where to put your shaky hand.

She welcomes the Oedipus complex in suspenders,
you'll be an adult after her at the latest.

She gets under your skin, rubbing herself against the warm,
and you go from a robber to a gendarme.

Take my breast, but don't come too close to me,
i'm sure you're not the star next to her.

She doesn't act up, the respect comes all by herself,
maybe it's not pure, but it's more than fine.

A diva from the old beat, strong and emancipated,
you'll have to live with the fact that every second you see stirs the decolette.

Just don't call her old lady, just don't mention younger competition,
or you'll soon be alone again and make a spring for yourselves.

It is the velvety flagship of the house Chanel,
she doesn't have to scream at all to be light quite bright.

Hidden Grandiosity
Compared to novel perfumery Chanel still cherishes their tradition. Coco Noir is compilation of prior Chanel's successful editions, something like the Best of Chanel. It is not revolutionary, but it's recognizable among contemporary female perfumes - Chanelish. It opens with minimum of citruses and aldehydes, followed by rose and big kick of beautiful jasmine. Sweet tonka and healthy dose of patchouly morph from the base, succeeded by some sandalwood, musk and small dose of olibanum.
Although predictable, I adore this perfume on women. It has some old grandiosity hidden under several layers. This is a scent worth attention. Not great, but very good.

Rating: 8.5/10

Patchouli - soft spicy - woody floral
You want a rose without emphasizing on rosy side? A tobacco-like patchouli with pronounced spice and sandalwood? A naughty nocturnal floral yet casual warm oriental stuff? Coco Noir is the nearest answer. A perfume made like Swiss knife.

Coco Noir is a massive sandalwood merely dedicated to feminine world. A touch of spice-coated sandalwood and rose bring it more wearability and identity. Great stuff, though not so Chanel-like.
3/5

Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
A Coco "reloaded" and thought for the women of the new century. deep but less ladylike, easier to wear although not as strong as Coco
IanFriedrichIanFriedrich 4 years ago
Mysterious, seductive, modern classic & sexy scents.
I couldn't resist it when I smell from my girlfriend.
Chanel has definitely surprise me

by IrmaGobb
by IrmaGobb
by Kallipso
by Kallipso
by Franny
by Franny
Der knabbert einfach alles an...
Silvesteroutfit, nächstes Jahr
by JJ84
by Hufing
by Hufing

Popular Chanel

Bois des Îles (Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Sycomore (2008) (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°19 (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel N°5 (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°22 (Parfum) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel Parfum by Chanel Sycomore (2016) (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Chanel Cuir de Russie (Parfum) / Russia Leather by Chanel