Coco Noir (2012) Eau de Parfum

Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Chanel for women and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-oriental. It is still in production.

Jacques Polge

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit, Orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesSandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, White musk

Submitted by Elchen50, last update on 19.02.2019

Hirondelle
Wisu denn blus? Wisu does she su? Underground caramel wash line
I want to want to like you! But wanting to like is not enough... I have a problem that also extends to other Chanel fragrances (e.g. Allure), please tell me what is happening here. After a pleasant prelude and after several sniffings something sticks to my mouth (yes! in my mouth!!) like too old caramel au beurre salé on the upper palate. Like a clothesline between the ears (unfortunately without having added washing powder), it tastes (yes! tastes!!) musty, sticky, so I can't stand it anymore! Does anyone else feel the same way? Recently I had to get up at night to scrub off the paste (plus mouth rinse afterwards, because of the caramel washing line on the palate). It makes me so sad because I have the feeling that I am somehow denied the good, the beautiful of the fragrance. Perhaps a beautiful scent, which I would like to sniff at others, but for a scent, which I want to dig myself into, with which I want to "sleep" as if it were part of my soul (or would give it for a certain time what it lacks), that is not possible for me with this one. Like a hopeful encounter that suddenly becomes unpleasant and makes me want to get out of my skin. Too bad. Or to put it pathetically, it's just like some people: Those that don't do you any good should be let go as soon as possible.
9.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Free entrance, in the tent of Madame Bauvery
The dark skirt of the lady Chanel,
he always attracted me and made black shine softly, not brightly.

Coco Noir embraces you and cares like a mama,
until all of a sudden she wants to do you laundry, a crazy combi, really the hammer.

A black cuddly cat where bad luck never comes to mind,
yet her slightly poisonous kiss is like a slap on your floppy chin.

Formerly a hippie, now a bomb of good standing,
she knows exactly where to put your shaky hand.

She welcomes the Oedipus complex in suspenders,
you'll be an adult after her at the latest.

She gets under your skin, rubbing herself against the warm,
and you go from a robber to a gendarme.

Take my breast, but don't come too close to me,
i'm sure you're not the star next to her.

She doesn't act up, the respect comes all by herself,
maybe it's not pure, but it's more than fine.

A diva from the old beat, strong and emancipated,
you'll have to live with the fact that every second you see stirs the decolette.

Just don't call her old lady, just don't mention younger competition,
or you'll soon be alone again and make a spring for yourselves.

It is the velvety flagship of the house Chanel,
she doesn't have to scream at all to be light quite bright.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

The dear relatives...
Mademoiselle Coco, more precisely the 'Eau de Parfum Intense', has been my faithful companion for some time now. She has become my girlfriend, which I have described in detail elsewhere. And as is the case with good girlfriends, you also get to know your closer relatives over time. A few weeks ago, the eau de parfum called 'Coco Noir', the black Coco, snowed into my house and came as a complete surprise. From a dear perfume-friend I received a small package, in which some of her favourite fragrances were to be found. These gifts were invitingly packed, lovingly arranged and not filled into small plastic sleeves, but they were on loan to me in the original flacon! A page-long, handwritten letter on elegant paper... After I had enjoyed this generous gesture with due astonishment, I dedicated myself to the exciting part of unpacking and trying out.

First I met 'Coco Noir', sat down at the table with her and what should I say? We got along just fine right away. Which is by no means a matter of course for relatives...

At first this coco is fresh and invigorating, radiating a lot of joy and pleasure. This must be due to the wonderfully sour opening of citric fruits. I notice grapefruit and orange in particular, which I enjoy absorbing. After we have exchanged some nice things in this friendly and cheerful atmosphere, we gradually get deeper into the conversation, touching essential topics that are on our hearts. Already after one or two hours - of course I didn't look at the clock - we talk about the soul, and that feels so good. Surrounded by the intimate, warm-hearted atmosphere, I suddenly realize that not only my inner state, but also the space in which we sit so comfortably together, is changing. Delicious aromas spread in my living room...

...it smells manifold and really interesting, so that I can't immediately see what is caressing my nose. For a moment I therefore consciously dedicate myself to these new, noble chords, which spread out like a melodious music in the room. There is a bright, friendly, lively melody to be heard that reminds me of the summery balcony boxes planted with pink geraniums. The sunny, floral mood is reinforced by the presence of jasmine blossom and apricot rose. But this bright melody is now increasingly carried and moved by darker, melancholic chords... it goes in a different, unpredictable direction. What an exciting contrast! The originally cheerful music changes into a serious and rich way. As if I had first visited a matinée and to my own surprise find myself in a festive evening gown, in a floor-length black dress, in a demanding chamber concert that lasts until deep into the night
It's hard for me to find my way back to reality. Coco coughs with polite restraint to bring me back from my dreams. You and I nibble on my homemade vanilla biscuit, which smells wonderfully sweet. We also drink my favourite tea, which seems much spicier and more bitter to me on this day than usual. There are smoky and slightly woody notes that remind me of a dark green forest floor. I almost drifted away mentally again, but my guest rises, wants to say goodbye. Well, we have also spent some hours together in the meantime, nice hours that I will not forget... Now I look at the clock and am amazed, because we have been sitting here for a little more than four hours now. Coco Noir has changed something, my mood and also my perception. All of a sudden everything is different... so pleasant.

We lie warmly in each other's arms as we say goodbye. But I have some of her left. The smoky, partly woody and dark green scents and the refreshing orange with the grapefruit, which I still have both in my nose, leave a trace in the house and also in myself. These fine, elegant notes distinguish this coco from its other relatives. I don't really find the perfume, which rests in a beautiful, deep black bottle with a gold-edged label, to be 'black' or dark. Rather than mysterious, noble, apart and very very fine.

Thank you, dear Schwälbchen, for your great trust and your generous loan. It's nice that it continues to be exciting, because I'm very excited about the other bottles in your lovely parcel.
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Hidden Grandiosity
Compared to novel perfumery Chanel still cherishes their tradition. Coco Noir is compilation of prior Chanel's successful editions, something like the Best of Chanel. It is not revolutionary, but it's recognizable among contemporary female perfumes - Chanelish. It opens with minimum of citruses and aldehydes, followed by rose and big kick of beautiful jasmine. Sweet tonka and healthy dose of patchouly morph from the base, succeeded by some sandalwood, musk and small dose of olibanum.
Although predictable, I adore this perfume on women. It has some old grandiosity hidden under several layers. This is a scent worth attention. Not great, but very good.

Rating: 8.5/10
7.0 8.0 9.0 6.5/10

Patchouli - soft spicy - woody floral
You want a rose without emphasizing on rosy side? A tobacco-like patchouli with pronounced spice and sandalwood? A naughty nocturnal floral yet casual warm oriental stuff? Coco Noir is the nearest answer. A perfume made like Swiss knife.

Coco Noir is a massive sandalwood merely dedicated to feminine world. A touch of spice-coated sandalwood and rose bring it more wearability and identity. Great stuff, though not so Chanel-like.
3/5
7.0 6.0 6.0 7.0/10

Sprarkling Top Notes But Patchouli Heavy
Top Notes: Grapefruit, Bergamot.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Rose, Narcissus, Geranium.

Base Notes: Tonka Bean, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk, Oilbanum,

This review is for the EDP original version. A lot of reviewers say Noir reminds them of Chanel Mademoiselle. Mademoiselle has very sharp citrus top notes. Coco Noir's citrus top notes are not so sharp. They smell very refreshing by comparison. Noir reminds me more of Miss Dior EDP (current formula). Both have a very strong, very dominant and persistent patchouli note. To my nose, the patchouli almost completely over powers the other notes and persists into the deep dry down. I do not pick up the base notes very well in this, which is a shame because they are the most appealing notes.

Some reviewers say they can detect legendary Chanel Coco in Noir, but I do not detect Coco at all. Perhaps a little bit of Mademoiselle, but definitely not Coco. If I had to guess, I would say that Noir was created to compete with Miss Dior current formula or vice, or Miss Dior was created to compete with Noir. Either way, I do not find Noir to be dark at all despite its name and black bottle. I would not think it an Oriental because I do not discern the base notes much if at all. I like Noir well enough, but I could not wear it often due to the heavy but clean patchouli note.

Longevity is weak to moderate, but I find this to be true of all current Chanels, even the Les Exclusifs, and given Chanel's price point, I find this a fatal flaw. Projection and sillage are moderate initially but quickly taper off, and this is true of all other current Chanels as well. Overall it is not a bad fragrance, but it is more of a "cologne" than a "perfume" if that makes sense. If I did not know it was a Chanel, I probably never would have guessed it. At this price point, there are better designer fragrances one could purchase. Indeed, the original Coco is a masterpiece, and I would recommend it over Noir any day. Sorry, Chanel.

Fragrance: 6.5/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10
8.0/10

Stunning Beauty.
A head turner, Not a big Chanel fan but this beauty has got something very appealing and attractive which is very sexy.

I do get a lot of fruity and floral vibes especially peach and white floral notes , making it a perfect feminine scent and the way its rounded with sandalwood and tonka is adorable.
7.5 7.5 9.0/10

coco noir
coco+ coco madamoiselle + allure sensuelle = coco noir. this is a perfect blend between three frags ,i honestly really like coco the original but i didnt find this one so bad as many reviewers stated ,on my skin this develops so good and not so overly feminine ,not overdosing it could b perfect even on a man skin . i wonder why males frags dont have this kind of sillage and longevity on my skin .
the bootle is the quintessential of elegance and luxury
7.5/10

~ coco (just a touch) dark ~
Having recently won a sample giveaway and received mostly mademoiselle perfumes I probably won't be making any of them a signature scent anytime soon? So the very least I can do is type out a review or two and let me just say you ladies are soo lucky with this one! As I'm partial to Polge's work to begin with this slightly dark and dusty creation for me is as super sultry and seductive as it is balanced and modestly sweet. A floral chypre wrapped in a fruity patchouli. And when the rose, sandlwood and musk come out to play, wow, it's just barely out of reach of uni~sex, Grrr! As I wore a spritz to bed and still going strong with breakfast I can only wish certain pour hommes had this type of longevity! This "imho" is for the intellectual yet romantic woman and I would absolutely love to walk in her wake of this masterpiece, kind regards.

Bonus ~ Awesome bottle wish my Platinum looked this classy in glass, sorry friend.
1.0/10

A fruitchouli on valium
I found this one to be underwhelming, at best. Same shrill opening as C. Mademoiselle, then sits on the skin like a sticky wrapper that won't come off: doesn't warm, doesn't join with my chemistry, doesn't evolve. Then it wimps out like the "all talk, no action" loud mouth you got set up on a blind date with.
Considering the hype, I expected way better. To call this one a disappointment is an understatement.
10.0 5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Black Beauty
The Boyfriend came back from a business trip and brought me (besides himself) the perfect gift! Coco Noir! Oh, how I have longed to hold and sniff this gem!

On me the opening is fresh, I can detect the citrus notes combined with bergamot. The middle stage follows quickly and gives me a delicious note mix of: rose, jasmine, narcissus and a hint of geranium. (geranium is a no-no note for many people, yet in CN it's well blended so don't fear!) Hmmmm
The base is the oriental heart of the scent and gives me patchouli, tonkabean, sandalwood and a finishing touch of soft musk.

It is to my nose a mix of Coco & Coco Mademoiselle. It's fresh without being too crisp. It's herbal without being too heavy. It's a *hybrid Chanel* and very sensual on my skin. I think the best way to approach this fragrance is to NOT compare it to the other Chanel scents, but to let it unfold and show you its own character on your skin. It's -without a doubt- a Chanel. And it's perfect for people who like CM but would like a version of CM with an oriental twist. Or, for fans of Coco that would like to have a version with a 'fresher' edge.

I like it and think it a nice addition to my Chanel collection. It's classy, sexy and gives me whiffs of two of my favourite perfumes, and a THIRD perfume when those two meet. I am glad that The Boyfriend bought it for me because I DO think it's a bit overpriced when compared to the other Chanels. I think the house of Chanel might have made a mistake in judging our willingness to be charged so much for something that -although- pretty is a known scent experience, as supposed to something ground-breakingly new! But, I guess the "Die Hard Fans" will pay up.

Silage is: "a real Chanel is on my skin, perhaps I even layered two of them?" -- Longevity is: "a warm and fresh aura that last long -8+ hours- but becomes on me a close to the skin scent as the hours pass.

The bottle needs no endorsements, it is really as gorgeous as in the photos.
7.5 5.0 10.0 10.0/10

mademoiselles older sister?
After smelling this today,the smell is somehow familiar, I find elements from both the Coco classic and from Coco Mademoiselle.Coco Noir doesnt have the spicy part of Coco, only the velvety base, and from Mademoiselle it took the harsh patchouly and the bitter bergamote who are playing together in the opening notes, but in time they are more tempered. There is something in the base that gives a nice touch, the olibanum, it`s quite perceptible and adds a bit of a mystery and depth. All and all a nice perfume

Jazzy76 139 days ago
A Coco "reloaded" and thought for the women of the new century. deep but less ladylike, easier to wear although not as strong as Coco
IanFriedrich 20 months ago
Mysterious, seductive, modern classic & sexy scents.
I couldn't resist it when I smell from my girlfriend.
Chanel has definitely surprise me+1
10.0

Flakon und Duft fesseln mich...
by IrmaGobb
by IrmaGobb
Diese Coco mag den Herbst
by Santalwalti
...nach dem Regen folgt der Duft (botan. 'Myrobalane')
tiefdunkle Noten und Töne
by Kallipso
by Kallipso
Der knabbert einfach alles an...
by Koschka
by Koschka
Eine schöne Adventszeit gewünscht...
by Jasmine87
by Hufing
by NikkRouse10
by NikkRouse10

Popular Chanel

Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Antaeus (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 (Parfum) by Chanel Coromandel (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême by Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche (Eau de Toilette Concentrée) by Chanel Coco (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Platinum Égoïste (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel N°5 Eau Première by Chanel Bleu de Chanel (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Allure Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Pour Monsieur (Eau de Toilette) / A Gentleman's Cologne / For Men by Chanel Sycomore (Eau de Toilette) by Chanel Coco Noir (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel N°19 (Parfum) by Chanel Allure (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel Chance (Eau de Parfum) by Chanel